• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Unleashing a 2-D Horror - A Game and Watch Thread

shapular

Smash Ace
At school currently, but I'll def check out your video. I play a bit of Marth, but I don't really like him as a character. Usually for the games I get destroyed, I choose Samus and counter-pick to Distant Planet. I tend to do better after that, so I like having a secondary there just in case.
Distant Planet isn't legal here. :( It's a cool stage. Speaking of stages though, I grew to really like Norfair during the tournament. I think it's a good CP for G&W against certain characters. Like Dreamland except it works more for G&W instead of just against the opponent.

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
Norfair became on of my favorite stages after the update. Nice soundtrack. I don't know why I do well on that stage but I do. ( + a good portion of people hate it)

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, can I get some match critiques? I really want to start leveling up my G&W, and I feel like I've been making waves the past couple months. Really serious about getting better

Vs. Indy (Falcon) (was extremely close to winning...one spot above me on the PR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4-LsegSKk

Vs. Nakamaru (Fox G1 / Marth G3) (Starting to figure him out a bit, might use Fox against his Marth, but I still need some matchup knowledge...two spots above me on the PR @ #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm8eSwUYWyQ

Vs. Sweet (Falcon, Fox) (Again so close to winning :/ )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODHPVzvkK4Y

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
Also, Link & Bowser, what do you guys think about those matchups? There's a guy in our region who mains both that I haven't played yet. I know ducking grab and boomerang is important for Link, but that's about the extent of my knowledge

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
Also, Link & Bowser, what do you guys think about those matchups? There's a guy in our region who mains both that I haven't played yet. I know ducking grab and boomerang is important for Link, but that's about the extent of my knowledge
I first learned to play PM with bowser and my roomate is a bowser main a, and while he is nowhere near competitive material, I can give some insight into the matchup. Basically bowser is super combo food, as long as you dont get too gready, in which case youll probably be eating a super armor nair or worse, a down b from right underneath the blastzone. You have to learn when you just need to end the combo and get out safley, you should't really have a problem starting another one up relativley soon. He's big, has lots of trouble getting around bacon, so its great in neutral, and for gods sake, DONT get hit by this <100% gettup attack, its so freaking big he'll use it every chance he can get, so learn the move and learn to avoid/bait it. He has a 1 frame upB OOS, whereas ours technically isnt till frame 8 (well the hitbox is frame 1 but you dont move till 8) so be careful when approaching his shield, especially with a lazy dair or fair, cause he'll just fortress, which is actually a kill move at higher percent. It also sets up great for his up air, which is a thing that should be avoided, as G&W is so light it'll kill at like 50%, combined with his downb jump cancel its a scary threat from below. That and hes got a nasty crouch cancel game, although if you want a laugh, waveland in, and just rapid jab untill he realizes he cant cc out of it and is forced to DI out. Generally good for ~ 20% at the start of a set, although they start to learn eventually. Bowser is among the many who can be jab reset after a dthrow, so make sure to abuse it if hes not teching. although all of our grab options are super good vs him, because anthing that puts him in the air for a unpilt up air or up b just freaking wrecks bowser, you can keep in him the air for a good while if your good about it. Just be mindfull of his combo excapes, nair is a popular one, as I said earlier, combinded with good DI, it can turn the tides pretty quickly.

Also just freaking beware of the moves he has that have super armor, jus being aware of when you can/can't challenge a move is half the battle. Off the top of my head, moves with heavy armor (cause technically they're not super) {dash attack, up smash, f-smash, d-smash- nair, side-b, and down b (when falling) }

On last thing to note, is make sure you have some crisp edgeguards, as if you mess up, you bear the risk of taking upwards of 30% from bowser's up+b if you don't SDI out of it, and I've seen many people carelessly try to fair bowser during his recovery, and taking alot of percent very quickly becuase they forgot to be smart.

TL:DR: **** you I wrote that you go back and ****ing read it if you wanna know what I said.

But basically just play smart and same, and you should have a relativity easy time.

and for link idk, just like, grab bombs with wavedash, throw them back, and dacus when hes in hitstun. Then tauntspam cause you are god and he is simple servant of lesser men.

shapular

Smash Ace
The most important things about playing against Bowser are to space well, combo hard, and don't get hit by up B out of shield (so basically don't fair his shield ever except maybe with perfect spacing). G&W's stronger attacks can beat a lot of Bowser's armor. You can SH uair and hit him when he's standing, which is amazing for starting combos. You should be able to regularly combo him for 60%+. But if you're going for a non-guaranteed followup when he's above you, watch out for the down B. He may also try to dair or nair to break out of combos. When you get knocked into the air, he may try to down B cancel to uair, which will probably kill you very early. Try to save your double jump to jump away from him at these times. Be careful how you get up from the ledge. Basically standard get up and ledge roll are always terrible options. Ledgehop fair is probably a bad idea too. If he's standing right over the edge, you can poke him with up B and combo off that. Avoid small stages like WarioWare and Yoshi's Story. Go for a bigger stage where you have room to retreat and escape juggles with up B, like Norfair. In neutral, try to stay out of his ftilt range, throw a bacon every now and then (but not too much because I'm pretty sure he can just crawl through them), and let him commit to something, then punish hard.

Against Link: take your cursor off Mr. Game & Watch, put it on Mario or Sheik. But seriously, idk. Game & Watch gets beat pretty bad by projectiles and Link's range. You have to go in but at the same time you can't go in because he's Link. Just try to bucket brake the up B semi-spike whenever you can.

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
Holy crap guys, thanks for the Bowser knowledge bombs! I'll go into the lab with a cpu bowser just to get a feel for his combo weight and DI'ing some of his moves.

Unfortunately the player I mentioned is a Link main first, Bowser second, so I'm disheartened to hear the Link matchup is so difficult. I have a Wario but that's probably a WORSE matchup.

cruised

Smash Rookie
Are you talking about Stro? His Link is probably stronger than his Bowser so you can hope he goes Bowser instead of Link. You really need to nail your sweet spot recoveries against Bowser because his bair covers upB's hitbox well. For that reason, avoid Yoshi's island. I haven't learned how to DI Bowser's dthrow, but it can really put you in a bad spot since he can chase with his Claw. But what do I know? Stro's Bowser 4 stocked me a month ago haha

Dos_Equis

Smash Cadet
Yes I was, actually! I'm far more worried about his Link, but I wanted to make sure I didn't get surprised by anything in case he ever pops out Bowser vs. me. There's another Link main that shows up now and then to our weeklies, so maybe I can get some friendlies in and figure stuff out..maybe a diff. character by the sound of it haha

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Oh, you're NyxTheShield? I remember I made a dumb joke on one of your Smash 64 Reddit posts once and you didn't understand it and got mad. Then I saw you on Smashladder and challenged you and you never played me. :(
Yeah i remember that, it flew right over my ehad, sorry man </3

I am kinda busy with uni right now but if you see me online i can play on the Florida server : 3

(Also yeah, Nyx is my new nick, Felipe_9595 is the worst thing my 12yo self could have come with LOL)

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i remember that, it flew right over my ehad, sorry man </3

I am kinda busy with uni right now but if you see me online i can play on the Florida server : 3

(Also yeah, Nyx is my new nick, Felipe_9595 is the worst thing my 12yo self could have come with LOL)
FELIPAYYYY
I really love the g&w discussion boards, so helpful :)

Zoma

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, can I get some match critiques? I really want to start leveling up my G&W, and I feel like I've been making waves the past couple months. Really serious about getting better

Vs. Indy (Falcon) (was extremely close to winning...one spot above me on the PR)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4-LsegSKk

Vs. Nakamaru (Fox G1 / Marth G3) (Starting to figure him out a bit, might use Fox against his Marth, but I still need some matchup knowledge...two spots above me on the PR @ #1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm8eSwUYWyQ

Vs. Sweet (Falcon, Fox) (Again so close to winning :/ )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODHPVzvkK4Y
A few small things:
I highly disagree with grab at the ledge -> dair meteor offstage. You did it a couple of times across sets, and particularly on fast fallers like Falcon and Fox, I find it's much more beneficial to go for the guaranteed nair or fair to get them offstage or kill outright. The edgeguard should be easy if you follow them with a nair or fair; nair from the ledge; or cover bad sweetspots with ftilt or dtilt, particularly against Falcon.

Multiple times I saw a potential high-percentage nair after popping up Fox and Falcon (generally after a dtilt), where you opted for an uair and lost a followup because they DI'd behind you. That might have been an in-the-moment kind of thing, but, ya know, something to keep in mind.

Staying more grounded against Falcon might help unless you're using chef or retreating aerials, because whiffed approaches get punished hard. Ftilt is a great spacing tool, with IASA the frame after the late hitbox ends.

Against Marth... switch characters? Marth is really hard, as I'm sure you know. Wario seemed to work out pretty well, at least. As G&W you definitely need to play more campy than usual, because most aerial approaches can get stuffed by Marth's absurd range, as can bad grounded approaches by Marth's grabs. My tactic would just be play hard to get, bacon, and punish.

Sushiroks

Smash Rookie
Grand Finals of the last tournament:

I played subpar there, that Fox wasn't a conventional one (Linus mains Lucario but i beat it hard on winners side, then he switched to Fox)
LOL the jab into 9. Great movement/dancing and uptilt usage.
If I can give brief feedback: If you mix in some empty jump grabs/attacks into your jumping approaches, it'll make you harder to punish. Your opponents didn't really punish your Fairs on shield (even when unsafe), but you could get some more damage and play fun mindgames with them by mixing in more empty jumps. It goes well with your tricky movement.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
LOL the jab into 9. Great movement/dancing and uptilt usage.
If I can give brief feedback: If you mix in some empty jump grabs/attacks into your jumping approaches, it'll make you harder to punish. Your opponents didn't really punish your Fairs on shield (even when unsafe), but you could get some more damage and play fun mindgames with them by mixing in more empty jumps. It goes well with your tricky movement.
Oh yeah, i am working on implementing that on my game, my G&W in Melee has a better movement (i pinned down the timing for Empty SH > Perfect Waveland) and i am transitioning it to P:M ;3 There are a lot of cool stuff G&W can do. In other sets (I am waiting for them to be uploaded) i do them, like Platform Chase Uairs with wavelands, by far my fav thing from P:M hahahah

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Does anyone else not use a grab to try and follow up directly to a judgment? It's just my personal gameplay preference, but I don't like to rely on grab auto-combos, and I usually play really unorthodox.

On a more general note, G&W is so much fun. He's one of my best secondaries in Melee, and he's actually graduated to my #1 main in PM. My friend gets so mad at me because I get 9's all over the place.
It's the best when I fly off-stage after him and get a falling 9 on him.

jtm94

Smash Lord
@ D Dos_Equis
Stro's Bowser is fraudulent. I watched Odds' video tutorial on Bowser and he doesn't abuse any of his good stuff. I think his Link is very beatable with GnW, I kind of want to play him. I'm far more scared of Ganon xD

@ felipe_9595 felipe_9595
Good stuff on the win man! You went for some ballsy stuff like nair to beat out Fox illusion on the last stock of Winner's Finals.

People need to use NeutralB as more of an attack than just a projectile. It comes out on frame 8 off the top of my head? And is extremely low commitment land-cancelling and being safe on shield. You can do dumb stuff like LC pan > jab > dtilt on shield and most people will get shield poked or it will eat away at their shield. You can probably mix it up and just do LC pan > UpB to escape and avoid shield grabs after dtilt. Slidey character's like Squirtle and Luigi can't punish it because dtilt sends them too far away. It feels just like AC Sheik fair > jab on shield.

It's weird how I used to think GnW was bad in the past few versions, but he really hasn't changed at all and bacon was incredibly easy to abuse in the past. I feel put down when people start complaining about his combos, but to be honest if people ever finally learn to SDI constantly most of his moves start falling apart. For example, people complain about upthrow > uair > uair > uair > anything while if you hard SDI/DI uair to the side it completely ends the uair string and at best he's forced to go for something like bair which can also be completely SDId out of. People don't realize that SDIing uair and UpB to be behind GnW shuts down most followups.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Oh I love using the pan as an aggressive attack. It sends them surprisingly far, and is quite fun to do a pan spike with it.

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
@ D Dos_Equis
Stro's Bowser is fraudulent. I watched Odds' video tutorial on Bowser and he doesn't abuse any of his good stuff. I think his Link is very beatable with GnW, I kind of want to play him. I'm far more scared of Ganon xD

@ felipe_9595 felipe_9595
Good stuff on the win man! You went for some ballsy stuff like nair to beat out Fox illusion on the last stock of Winner's Finals.

People need to use NeutralB as more of an attack than just a projectile. It comes out on frame 8 off the top of my head? And is extremely low commitment land-cancelling and being safe on shield. You can do dumb stuff like LC pan > jab > dtilt on shield and most people will get shield poked or it will eat away at their shield. You can probably mix it up and just do LC pan > UpB to escape and avoid shield grabs after dtilt. Slidey character's like Squirtle and Luigi can't punish it because dtilt sends them too far away. It feels just like AC Sheik fair > jab on shield.

It's weird how I used to think GnW was bad in the past few versions, but he really hasn't changed at all and bacon was incredibly easy to abuse in the past. I feel put down when people start complaining about his combos, but to be honest if people ever finally learn to SDI constantly most of his moves start falling apart. For example, people complain about upthrow > uair > uair > uair > anything while if you hard SDI/DI uair to the side it completely ends the uair string and at best he's forced to go for something like bair which can also be completely SDId out of. People don't realize that SDIing uair and UpB to be behind GnW shuts down most followups.
I noticd the same, in previous versions i barely got out of Pools with G&W. I think that we got nerfed so little in comparison to other chars from the cast, that G&W got "buffed" if we consider the whole espectre. At least that's how i see it (Because i know i improved a lot, but i went from a nobody to suddenly becoming a top national player hahahaha).

Btw i love when people SDI behind me, i don't get hard follow ups but i get a +30% damage combo with Bair.

Which reminds me, WS from the same tournaments, this match was the most important one in the tournament for me, because Danny was the #1 player in P:M in Chile until last lear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nD4l6JLBwA

Last edited:

jtm94

Smash Lord
I think GnW only felt bad because no one understood what he wanted to do. Up until Dakpo we only had like that one set of Nintendude vs Chillin from Civil War to base our play off of.

You can completely SDI out of bair though. It does do a ton if all hits connect though.

Against Mario you went for UpB into fair, but it was perfect for you to just nair.
That was a pretty good set though.

shapular

Smash Ace
I think GnW only felt bad because no one understood what he wanted to do. Up until Dakpo we only had like that one set of Nintendude vs Chillin from Civil War to base our play off of.

You can completely SDI out of bair though. It does do a ton if all hits connect though.

Against Mario you went for UpB into fair, but it was perfect for you to just nair.
That was a pretty good set though.
I don't think we needed Dakpo to tell us how to play G&W. We just really did get bopped by all the OP characters (Mewtwo, Lucas, Link, Diddy, etc.) and now we get bopped by less of them.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I don't think we needed Dakpo to tell us how to play G&W. We just really did get bopped by all the OP characters (Mewtwo, Lucas, Link, Diddy, etc.) and now we get bopped by less of them.
Im pretty sure we beat diddy now! Mewtwo, link, Marth, and roy still kinda body us :/
Learning this character was tough when literally no one at a high caliber played him. #pioneer
you guys have all gotten so much better though. Bidoof has made some incredible progress along with strong bad and others

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure we beat diddy now! Mewtwo, link, Marth, and roy still kinda body us :/
Learning this character was tough when literally no one at a high caliber played him. #pioneer
you guys have all gotten so much better though. Bidoof has made some incredible progress along with strong bad and others
I saw a set of Bidoof the other day, really smooth G&W, i just dont like how he does Bacon> Dacus every 10 seconds though lol

Also, why is the Link/Mewtwo matchup so bad???? i Agree with the other ones (I have to play incredible safe) but i have never found major problems with Mewtwo or Link

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I saw a set of Bidoof the other day, really smooth G&W, i just dont like how he does Bacon> Dacus every 10 seconds though lol

Also, why is the Link/Mewtwo matchup so bad???? i Agree with the other ones (I have to play incredible safe) but i have never found major problems with Mewtwo or Link
they simply have the tools to box us out.

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
Any comments on the MK matchup? There's a guy named Mana here in upstate NY, and although i've only gotten to play him once or twice hes bopped me real hard. I can't tell if im just severly outclassed as a player or its part of the matchup. It's real hard to get in, and his up air chains wreck g&w hard and early off the top :(

jtm94

Smash Lord
I only really struggle with Tink atm, but I have an incredible amount of Link experience.
Mewtwo is KO off the top King. I don't have enough experience against him though..

All I can say about MK is hard SDI uairs and hope to get down.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Any comments on the MK matchup? There's a guy named Mana here in upstate NY, and although i've only gotten to play him once or twice hes bopped me real hard. I can't tell if im just severly outclassed as a player or its part of the matchup. It's real hard to get in, and his up air chains wreck g&w hard and early off the top :(
MK is in our favor at the moment. He lost his edge from the update and we pretty much should combo to death him every time. The key to winning is to win the neutral with dash dancing, D-tilt, and crouch cancels. I have pretty much solidly defeated all of the best MKs. Here is me beating K9 in the last patch. Its much easier to fight him in this patch though

https://youtu.be/ObhX_7HVfVY?t=2633

Last edited:

Hamman88

Smash Cadet
MK is in our favor at the moment. He lost his edge from the update and we pretty much should combo to death him every time. The key to winning is to win the neutral with dash dancing, D-tilt, and crouch cancels. I have pretty much solidly defeated all of the best MKs. Here is me beating K9 in the last patch. Its much easier to fight him in this patch though

https://youtu.be/ObhX_7HVfVY?t=2633
yeah ok, I've watched the set a buncha times the whole crew battle is hella hype, minus the pro flub vs m2k fox ;), but I wasn't sure how much still applied since we can't bacon spam like that anymore. But good to know, that its just cause im a ****ty player and not a matchup problem, one of those is alot easier to fix

shapular

Smash Ace
Strange, when I try to do that I only get one slow toss. I'll keep trying to see what I'm doing wrong.
Jump, hit B immediately, pause a tiny bit, hit B again. You have to make sure both that you have enough time to get the bacon out and that you don't hit the button while you're still in the animation of the first bacon. The timing isn't too hard though. You can get it perfect in 10 minutes.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Jump, hit B immediately, pause a tiny bit, hit B again. You have to make sure both that you have enough time to get the bacon out and that you don't hit the button while you're still in the animation of the first bacon. The timing isn't too hard though. You can get it perfect in 10 minutes.
Oh that has been my problem, I was trying to get the B presses as close together as possible. Thanks for the insight! I feel like a dummy now lel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom