• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Toronto Melee Smashfests

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
2nd try:

If anyone's ever around downtown Toronto regularly, come play some melee with us! My roomate and I are at Bay and Dundas and we're willing to host occasional smashfests (bi-weekly perhaps?). If interested pass me a pm.

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
what's cssu? I feel kinda stupid for asking since I go to U of T and should probably know this

Vanitas

Smash Ace
The Computer Science Students Union i think
None of them are totally competitive YET but most of them know about advanced techniques and i think most of them plan on getting better
Maybe if you show up, they ll be dazzled by your skill and start to wanting to get better? lol

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. Extremely late reply here, but I'm very interested in taking part in weekly or bi-weekly Melee sessions. I'm not a hardcore fighting gamer (I've never been to a tournament outside of anime cons), but I've been playing SSBM since elementary school and I wouldn't have stopped playing if I had a decent play group. I'm somewhat clumsy at the game and I tend to avoid wavedashing due to lack of skill, but I think I've gained a decent feel for Marth's spacing in the years I've been playing him. If you don't mind, could you give me some info on the general Smash scene at UofT? I'm a first-year in the humanities and as much as I love my field of study, we're severly lacking in the nerd department, so I don't know much about the CSSU and gaming events. I heard from the game development club that there's going to be a tournament on Sunday, so I'll probably be there at least.

If any of this stuff is too specific/personal/whatever to post online, please send me a PM. I'm pretty busy with school but I'm sure I could make time to play some Smash, especially since the anime club lost their office and I have basically no one to play multiplayer games with unless I learn to play Starcraft.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I'm a U of T student in artsci... I have a cube + smash + mem card in my res' common room, but I only have one controller. I'm pretty good (I'd like to think) and I main falcon, if your interested in a real challenge PM me for my number and come play some time. thanks

Ryan

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
The Computer Science Students Union i think
None of them are totally competitive YET but most of them know about advanced techniques and i think most of them plan on getting better
Maybe if you show up, they ll be dazzled by your skill and start to wanting to get better? lol

Hey dude wanna give me your buddies phone number?

I'm a first year artsci student at u of t, I'm good although I haven't played anyone else thats good at U of T.. I have a cube and smash in my common room. if your interested in playing me sometime (I'm usuallly free most days after class) pm me for my cell # and we'll get something going

Ryan

BananaTrooper

Smash Journeyman
Replies... Hot ****.

You guys are free to come over sometime sunday afternoon or evening (oct 24th); I'll pm you the address and cell #. Our schedules have gotten kind of busy, so we're not sure if we can keep hosting every weekend, but this weekend is good.

SecretofMana

Smash Cadet
I really need to remember the CSSU room number so I can advertise it here loool. Thanks for the mention though Vanitas.

What's disappointing about that place though is that people aren't really trying to improve. The best guy there, a guy named Mike, always beats them and they always just go "well yeah it's Mike duh" instead of working on getting to his level.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
sorry to burst your bubble but...

lol
my friend osama is really good at using bombs, i mean
all good samuses must use bombs you know. even missiles sometimes.

forgive me if your reading this LOL

Bing

Smash Master
Hey guys, I live in Etobicoke, but I would defs be down for going downtown to play some smash, like, its becoming hard to find melee tourneys... inbox me if this **** could still be happening cause I know im like a month late on this :S

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
We should really do something either right before exams or right after, depending on how much studying people have to do. I know all of my assignments are done for the term so it's just reading, reading, and more reading left. I think I've improved my tech skill but I need a few consecutive hours of pure practice against other people.

EDIT: Anyone going to the Waterloo event on Dec 4th? I've never been there and I don't have my G2 anyway so I'd have to carpool if I do go.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I want to come either over christmas break or in the summer. When would these be?

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Are there any U of T smashers that have a TV/cube? The only place I can play right now really is at the CSSU, was just wondering if anyone has like a TV or a cube in their room? xD

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
I want to come either over christmas break or in the summer. When would these be?
Christmas break starts on the 21st and lasts til January 9th. Summer is... honestly, no clue. Probably some time around the end of April.

Are there any U of T smashers that have a TV/cube? The only place I can play right now really is at the CSSU, was just wondering if anyone has like a TV or a cube in their room? xD
Eh, I think most of our rooms are too small to fit TVs. My cube is in the common room now and we have a TV there but there's barely enough space for another chair in my room >_>

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you guys could use hart house. Thats where I play bridge.

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Hart House has a common room? All I remember is the reading room (which is usually pretty quiet), but if there's a place with a TV that could work too.

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I recently got the TV in our common room to work so if anyone in the downtown Toronto area wants to play against a *good* falcon, just PM me and we can arrange to meet up sometime for a few games

Byped

Smash Cadet
I'm a smasher from the states and I'll be in for a week (spring break) and Ill be back in the summer... I would love to smash this week, pm me and let me know what's up :). I've played a few ppl so I'm sure I'll be of some help !

ryankam10

Smash Journeyman
Any smashers in the Toronto area wanna play at U of T? If yes please let me know, I'm free all through this week and perhaps next week also, I have a gamecube in my residence's common room and I'm always looking for new people to practice with!

PM or email me (ryanplkam@gmail.com) if interested!

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
St. George campus. There are a few options in the downtown area--BananaTrooper and his roommate live nearby as they said in this thread, a couple of us have space in the residences to play, and I think A&C Games has weekly friendlies or something, but I'm not sure if anyone there plays seriously.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I'm not a regular melee player but would like to get back into it.

I go to U of T but I'm on PEY right now, but I just work around the corner from queen's park anyway. Will come to these if they're revived and don't conflict with my schedule. :)

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I went to the first Melee tourney they held there but haven't been able to attend the rest due to prior commitments. Unfortunately that will once again be the case on the 10th. :(

AFAIK Melee is on Wednesdays, but I'm not sure if that will change for September or not. I haven't been to the Melee friendlies yet, but if you guys want to start up something there you should get in on that and talk to the owners about it, and advertise here like we (and by "we" i mean Tin Man lol) did at their Brawl Tuesdays. Now we usually provide a bunch of our own setups and get a pretty good competitive turnout. :)

_eternal

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I'd really like to get something going at A&C since it's waaaaaay way more convenient than going to the other local Smashers' houses (I live on res during the school year so I can't even drive without going home first). I'll talk to the UofT group when classes start and see if anyone's up for it.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I might be down to play as well, just got to figure out what my schedule is gonna be like.

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I'm very seriously considering attending UofT for grad school.

Is there anyone who can tell me what it's like over there? Is rent expensive? Clean? How's the smash community? Is eating out pricey?

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
Rent is pretty pricey close to campus (I'm assuming you plan on attending the st george campus) unless you room with other people.

I've never lived close to u of t besides when I lived on residence, but from when I was apartment-searching I remember most places being around $2000 a month split between 4 or 5 people (on average) not includint internet and a/c and such.
On the other hand, I live about half an hour away from campus by TTC, and I pay $750 a month for an apartment to myself with all utilities (including cable, internet, laundry machines, air conditioning) included, which is pretty good for Toronto prices, but is much further away.

Pricing really depends on how close you want to be to campus, who you want to live withh, and whether or not you get lucky and find a good deal. I don't really know anything about residence options for grad students, but they do exist at U of T, so you may consider looking into that.

Food isn't extremely expensive, there's a ton of food around U of T, and Chinatown is right around the corner, which (for the most part) is very affordable.

The smash communities are definitely growing, especially since A&C world just opened a few months ago. I don't know how it is compared to other cities personally, but most of my friends from elsewhere in Canada and around the world always tell me how much they wish they had something like this where they live.

I've gone to U of T for 3 years and have lived here a while, so feel free to ask me anything else if you want. :)

:phone:

Diakonos

Smash Lord
Wow that's great, thanks for the info! Whereabouts do you live? Is it in an apartment? I don't mind busing 30min-1hour.

I'll look into res for grads, but I am doubtful. =P Would look forward to smashing with you guys.

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
No problem, I live St. Clair and Oakwood area, really close to a streetcar stop though. I rent a basement apartment (that I found on Craigslist no less). Quite a few people in this part of town tend to rent out their basements, so if you keep an eye out you might stumble across a really good deal, I remember when I was looking for my apartment a year ago there were quite a few at the same price that I pay now but this one was in the most convenient location. It's a pretty nice area, definitely quieter than res lol.

Btw when I said $2000 a month near campus I meant that each person would only be paying about $400 to $500 each, sorry if I wasn't clear

Diakonos

Smash Lord
That helps.

All I need is to gauge what living would be like. We'll see what happens in a couple of months. Thanks!

pidgezero_one

NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
i might head over on tues. but i havent played melee in sooo long. no time like the present to get back into it i guess? :)

Top Bottom