• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kal

Smash Champion
Just a few things:

1) Brown Link, the Hero of India, is by far the greatest thing I've ever read, ever. Don't know who came up with that, but well done.

2) Can we get email addresses up? I'd like to make an email list reminding people of the smashfests.

3) Is there some way to format it better? It's a little oddly formatted. I would definitely like some sort of table layout if that's possible.

4) For characters, you should list it as main then secondary. So Tirno should have Falco then Falcon. Reqy should be Sheik then Marth.

5) JF's number is (512) 914 - 9745. Since he doesn't know how to play anyone, I would just keep his characters blank. Or, if you don't want to be mean, do Sheik and Puff.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Just a few things:

1) Brown Link, the Hero of India, is by far the greatest thing I've ever read, ever. Don't know who came up with that, but well done.

2) Can we get email addresses up? I'd like to make an email list reminding people of the smashfests.

3) Is there some way to format it better? It's a little oddly formatted. I would definitely like some sort of table layout if that's possible.

4) For characters, you should list it as main then secondary. So Tirno should have Falco then Falcon. Reqy should be Sheik then Marth.

5) JF's number is (512) 914 - 9745. Since he doesn't know how to play anyone, I would just keep his characters blank. Or, if you don't want to be mean, do Sheik and Puff.
lol, thanks Kal, I came up with that myself.

my email is nahor88@hotmail.com
for my secondary I guess you can put Link

MT_

Smash Ace
Mwahahahah more Marth mains to add to the Austin collection of smashers.

Anyways I am thinking about switching mains to Falco. That character is so good.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Don't put my email address up please, or at least obfuscate the addresses.

Edit: Oh, it's an image, not text. Either way, I don't think email addresses are really necessary. We do have Smashboards after all.

Kal

Smash Champion
Jose, that's awesome. Well done man. I think it's best to avoid leaving things blank, if possible, so fill in "Kal" for both my name and tag, and do the same for Neal.

Everyone else: if you don't actually have a secondary, you don't need to list one. A secondary should be a character you're about as good with as your main, or at least someone you're able to pull out in tournaments. If you don't already have a secondary, I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are that you'll pick one up if you play long enough (e.g., I expect Rohan and Jose will add Fox in a while).

And Edgar, while email addresses obviously aren't necessary, they're certainly useful. Being able to send an email to everyone to remind them about smashfests and tournaments is useful, and emails are something most people check much more often than Smashboards. Of course, if anyone doesn't want information listed, just say so and we'll remove it. Or perhaps spam the **** out of you.

I'm thinking of making the May 28th Smashfest into a tournament. It would have a $1 entry fee for singles, $2 for doubles, and perhaps $1 low tier. Thoughts?

Also, 6 Marth mains. **** yeah!

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Name|Tag|Character|Phone|Email
Kal|Kal|:marth: :fox:|(512) 698-7056|khalid.hourani@gmail.com
John|Reqy|:sheik: / :marth:|(210) 722-1340|

Hey, you can make a table in BB code, so people can do stuff like copypasta and edit it without having to use an external program.

Here's how it's done:
[noparse]
Name|Tag|Character|Phone|Email
Kal|Kal|:marth: :fox:|(512) 698-7056|khalid.hourani@gmail.com
John|Reqy|:sheik: / :marth:|(210) 722-1340|
[/noparse]

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lulz, me adding Fox, I can shinespike, laser and usmash...

I'll be in kingwood the 28th so no smashfest for me.
:/

I think AIM screennames are much more useful than e-mail if people are comfortable with publishing those (which I don't see why not, considering phone number is already up there...)
What about facebook instead? I don't think smashers would mind being fb friends with one another.

MT_

Smash Ace
I think AIM screennames are much more useful than e-mail if people are comfortable with publishing those (which I don't see why not, considering phone number is already up there...)

Though Kal makes a great point for those less smashboards-oriented players in the area. But that seems more of an issue of updating the UT Smash Club e-mail's contact list than posting their e-mails on smashboards.

Kal

Smash Champion
Name||Tag||Character||Phone||Email||Facebook
Kal||Kal||:marth::fox:||(512) 698 - 7056|| khalid.hourani@gmail.com || KalROFL
John||Reqy||:sheik::marth:||(210) 722 - 1340|| phoenixboy20@hotmail.com || Reqy
Matt||MT||:marth::fox:||(713) 302 - 7592|| mchan@mail.utexas.edu || mchan529
Matt||JF||:jigglypuff::sheik:||(512) 914 - 9745|||| mattgoesmoo
Edgar||Tirno||:falco:||(832) 283 - 5117|||| Tirno
Jose||JOS||:falco:||(210) 420 - 3619|| jose.e.perez@utexas.edu || JOS
Dean||Shiameyo||:marth:||(972) 899 - 1388|| deangarcia@gmail.com || Shiameyo
Aydn||m33k||:marth::fox:||(419) 967 - 0177||
Brandon||perfect engrish||:fox::sheik:||(713) 858 - 5503|| brandonleehasafacebook@hotmail.com || perfect engrish
Rohan||Brown Link||:marth:||(713) 560 - 1500|| nahor88@hotmail.com || Rohvenrav
Sharif||Gentleman||:marth::falcon:||(520) 730 - 8070|| guardianshisha@gmail.com || GuardianShisha
Paddy||Asphidel||:peach:||
Carl||Nubz||:fox:||
Neal||Neal||:sheik::ganondorf:||
||Moose||:peach:||

And I'm down with adding AIM SNs and facebook accounts and stuff. That might make the table too cluttered, though. E-mail addresses are definitely more useful as far as letting people know about smashfests and tournaments. Also, not everyone has AIM, but just about everyone has an email address.

And Rohan, I just meant that adding Fox is the logical, natural progression for Marth mains. There's not really any other secondary worth picking up once you've mained Marth.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm amused that Rohan edited his post to quote a post made after his own.
Apparently certain mods are rather strict about post spamming.
I got modded for it once and ever since then I just edit posts to say more.

It prolly doesn't matter here but whatever.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
everything that happened in the previous posts is really cool. I'll update once I'm done with my final today. and I'll work on the map I was mentioning. it won't be very accurate for safety.
I know where kal, matt, reqy, edgar, rohan, brandon, and aydn stay. I'll try to get more info.

I feel compelled to call kal's tourney Kal's Infinite Climax.

and Tirno, yeah, I felt a little intrusive putting people's information up. I'll delete that image. ;)

I think moose's name is kevin.

MT_

Smash Ace
If we format it like Houston, we can just SAY where people live. For example, Edgar and I would be labeled under "West Campus", anyone living on campus would just be "On Campus", Jose you would be "Riverside" etc...

Shiameyo

Smash Rookie
I just think written locations would be best. The map is too much.

I think just e-mails, phone numbers, and general locations are good. Facebook might be a little too weird/personal.

my email is actually deangarcia3@gmail.com, and i'm on Red River.

Kal

Smash Champion
Facebook is a good way for smashers to get in contact with one another. I don't know if other people think it's too personal, but it doesn't bother me.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't see a problem with being fb friends with someone you play Melee with.
I think you're missing the point. It's not a problem with being friends on Facebook. Posting personal information online isn't really something one should do lightly, especially if it's not your own.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think all of us are low profile enough for it not to matter, but that's just how I feel.

Plus its smashboards...

Kal

Smash Champion
Why does everyone qq about me not living on campus? It's a 15 minute drive. It's not like I'm inviting people to San Antonio every two weeks.

Kal

Smash Champion
Even a half-hour drive isn't worth complaining about in my opinion. Also, I start the smash fest at 2:00 so that people can avoid traffic.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I whine pretty much nonstop and I think it's just me complaining.
And yeah, it's about gas. It would be fantastic if the bus would get all the way over there.

I'm just complaining, it ain't no thing. It's not as bad as other players who don't even have smashers in their cities.

Kal

Smash Champion
Actually Jose, the 982/983 and 383 buses come close enough so that I would be more than happy to pick you up. It's actually just a 10 minute walk from my place to the bus stop.

Shiameyo

Smash Rookie
I'll be in Austin for the summer starting next Monday. If anyone a little closer to campus (I'm on red river) wants to play with someone who hasn't played for a year (and wasn't that good to begin with), I'll be free.

Kal, I'm not sure about the rest of us, but I don't have a car. Going by bus is a bit of a hassle for me, and I'm just plain lazy. The faults are mine, but nevertheless I'm a bit reluctant to go out that far from campus. Reluctant, but not unwilling -- I'll try and go next time.

MT_

Smash Ace
I don't think it's so much that going to Kal's is inconvenient, but that playing on campus (or very close to it like West Campus) is about 100 billion times more convenient. Just my 2 cents.

Kal

Smash Champion
I'm sure some other smashers will drive down here, so I wouldn't worry about getting a ride Dean. Looking forward to seeing you.

lasershadow

Smash Rookie
I'm going to be in West Campus for the summer starting on the 30th. I won't have a car, but I'd love to smash over weekends/evenings if that's possible. How often are smashfests in Austin?

Kal

Smash Champion
Usually every week or two. We don't play a lot of Brawl, though.

Top Bottom