• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

University of Texas - Austin

What events do you want to see at our meetings?

• Brawl Singles/Doubles

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Melee Low Tiers

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Brawl+ Singles/Doubles

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Smash 64 Singles/Doubles

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brawl Minus Singles

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Random Character/Random Stage tourney (any game)

Votes: 3 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MT_

Smash Ace
I just had a brilliant idea.

Let's have a UT melee ranking tournament when we all get back in our first meeting. Players that tie for 5th/7th/9th/13th etc will round robin each other to determine actual placements after the bracket. Or we could just do one giant round robin of awesomeness.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
rohan I really can't believe your skill for saying things wrong all the time
**** you, what the **** did I say wrong? You think Brawl is so fast and requires the same playstyle as Melee?
>_>

If you're going to call me out on something, don't be a ***** and not explain why.
You also thought I was insulting the Brawl players when I was really just explaining that the club didn't have any hardcore Brawl players the previous year.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
FACT #1: Brawl is fun. It didn't get so popular for no reason.
FACT #2: Melee is a more fun game than Brawl. I doubt any impartial person that has legitimately probed the depth of both games would disagree.
FACT#3: The definition of fun is objective enough to be able to claim the above statement to be fact.

Anyway, I understand Brawl-exclusive players. They like money, and playing competitive Brawl is more profitable than Melee. But the main thing is, they like having many people available to play with. And there are more Brawl players than Melee players. I guess you can't really blame them. Though Melee is inherently more fun since it challenges you to think and move soo fast, it is kind of a bummer that relatively few people play it. That's why it's important that we maintain and share our love for the game! (Not that Melee is on the brink of dying as Xyro would have you believe.)

I just had a brilliant idea.

Let's have a UT melee ranking tournament when we all get back in our first meeting. Players that tie for 5th/7th/9th/13th etc will round robin each other to determine actual placements after the bracket. Or we could just do one giant round robin of awesomeness.
One giant round robin. Doit

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I agree Clay, but I was explaining why I don't find the game fun anymore. Jose didn't have to make that ballzy statement.
>_>

I'm not interested in money, I'll never be good enough to make much playing smash, so I wanna play the game that I have the most fun with.
And there's nothing wrong with not understanding how someone can find a certain game fun. One is allowed to have an opinion. I've heard it brought up in meetings and no one took offense.
It'd be different if I said something like "Brawl players are dumb for finding the game fun".

MT_

Smash Ace
inb4xyro77'sMELEEISDEADrant

Rohan, you really need to stop taking dumb online attacks personally. And no "that's just the kind of person I am" johns. Once upon a time (from the stories I've heard) Kal raged as hard as Jamal. But now after changing himself he only rages hard but not as hard as Jamal. If Kal can change, then so can you!

Jose is a loser with no intellect and fails at everything.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I honestly wouldn't care except that I keep getting singled out. It's a conformity issue, if everyone else gets attacked, who cares if you get attacked too.

If anyone else gets insulted on here, the other person is obviously just kidding.

And if you look at the way I used to talk about Melee, of course I have changed. I used to complain about how you had to have a lot of tech skill to be good at it. But then I just gave up on trying to be as good as Michel or Kal and the game became fun for me.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
calm down, rohan. i meant at the post about how andrew would've gotten offended.

I think it all goes back to when you used to argue with kal about 50 pages ago, also it kinda goes back to clay's graduation post. or pretty much whenever you argue. you sometimes have valid points, but you somehow manage to present yourself in such a way that looks stubborn and steadfast to an annoying level. and even when the argument is over, I kinda get the sense that in your head you're saying to all of us, 'but still...'

I do apologize, though, it might've been a little insensitive on my part, it kinda sounded funny to me though because someone as smart as you can't clearly express what you're trying to say, like a little kid stumbling for words. that's kinda the image I got. in this instance, I thought it was funny that you anticipated a misunderstanding, and then it kinda flopped 'cause andrew didn't see it that way.

'I don't mean to offend.'
'well I wasn't offended but now that you mention it...' so I just thought it was funny. my bad. but also on hindsight, that's no way to react.

@matt, NO U!
@tuesday, you been to the club before?
@clay, I'm for it!
@me, start using your main again. peach sucks.
edited for grammar ftw

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
no, you're taking it the wrong way.

In general I hate debating on-line cuz its just words on a screen, but it's not like I see you guys on a daily basis so I don't have a choice. For example, had Clay's graduation thing happened in real life, if would NOT have escalated to the point it did. Clay would have realized up front that I was just messing with him from my tone, my posture etc.
In the same sense, had I heard you make that comment in real life, I wouldn't have reacted the way I did, cuz you would have been able to explain exactly what you were going for. I mean, you never see me retaliate to anything Kal says in real life right?

Anyways, in this case, I was simply being aware of Andrew's feelings, since he really is the only one in the thread that exclusively plays Brawl, and I didn't wanna single him out, the way I hate being singled out. Just to make it clear that I was talking about guys like xyro, not him.
The fact that he didn't get offended anyways is of no consequence, cuz I had cleared the air in the first place.

Tuesday

Smash Ace
calm down, rohan. i meant at the post about how andrew would've gotten offended.

I think it all goes back to when you used to argue with kal about 50 pages ago, also it kinda goes back to clay's graduation post. or pretty much whenever you argue. you sometimes have valid points, but you somehow manage to present yourself in such a way that looks stubborn and steadfast to an annoying level. and even when the argument is over, I kinda get the sense that in your head you're saying to all of us, 'but still...'

I do apologize, though, it might've been a little insensitive on my part, it kinda sounded funny to me though because someone as smart as you can't clearly express what you're trying to say, like a little kid stumbling for words. that's kinda the image I got. in this instance, I thought it was funny that you anticipated a misunderstanding, and then it kinda flopped 'cause andrew didn't see it that way.

'I don't mean to offend.'
'well I wasn't offended but now that you mention it...' so I just thought it was funny. my bad. but also on hindsight, that's no way to react.

@matt, NO U!
@tuesday, you been to the club before?
@clay, I'm for it!
@me, start using your main again. peach sucks.
edited for grammar ftw
Yes, multiple times ;~;
Real name's Preston, blond guy that showed up in crutches once, sucky Sheik main that always ranks last in all the tourneys lol. I don't stand out...

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I explained my thinking, I thought it was funny had you actually insulted andrew. but I know you didn't because he said it himself.
I said that you have a way of saying things wrong all the time. and you did because even when you say you didn't want to single him out, you kinda did, dood.

I also think you thought I was talking about your statement about which game is more fun. honestly I don't really give a **** which game is more fun, we all know that fun is subjective and there's no point for me or anyone to argue about that.

you didn't say anything wrong per se, i just find it funny that you accomplish the opposite of what you're saying. for instance, in that last post you say I'm taking it wrong, when you explain that it is you that wouldn't have reacted the way you did if we would've been talking personally. that **** is funny to me.

I've said my share, so I'll end it there because otherwise you'd claim that I still don't understand your point of view and that's really irritating.

edit: hey I know a preston! we used to team if you remember, and when we got tired of that, free-for-alls with items. that was/is the stuff of legends! I didn't know you was Tuesday, it's kinda weird. I'm jose dood! play falco and stuff.

MT_

Smash Ace
Jose I just realized we won't be living literally 5 seconds away from each other next year and won't be able to just call each other up for spontaneous 3-hour-long friendlies anymore. And Justin too. My life sucks now.

MT_

Smash Ace
I'm living far down west campus on Leon st. You can take the bus there and we can have smash fests! You can even stay overnight maybe?! probably not since there are also members of the opposite gender living with me and would not appreciate a smelly smasher smelling up the place overnight lol. But we'll see.

And twins, that's genius. You guys should enter a tournament with the team name "twins" because you guys HAVE THE SAME BIRTHDAY!!!!

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
sarcastic *******.
bait>setup>punch line. it's how it works! but nooooooooo! you ruined it for the audience doucheface.

anyway, I'm not gonna be living on campus. I didn't hate it last year, but I want to establish myself as an austin resident starting next semester. I'll try to live at university village because the apartment I wanted had french doors. but I've gotten lazy on the application and good thing you called it to my attention. the distance doesn't really bother me, to be honest. I'm kind of an adventurer and I enjoy walking away from campus.

the thing about no more spontaneous 3-hour friendlies could actually be a blessing in disguise. also, no more ****ing eric to spoil the fun.
<3

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
no, by taking it wrong I meant you took an innocent comment I made to Andrew and misinterpreted it.
The whole ordeal shouldn't have even started, but thanks for apologizing anyways.
:p

Kal

Smash Champion
Clay, your list of facts is nonsense. Sorry buddy, but there's very little objectivity to having fun. You prefer Melee over Brawl? Great. Don't try and make one statement summarizing why an entire community plays Brawl.

Matt, **** you. You should learn to make jokes that are funny, and not really annoying. And you should probably take your own advice, since more than half of your posts lean towards obnoxious rather than amusing or insightful.

With regard to a round robin of 10+ people: count me out.

Rohan, I wouldn't "give up" trying to be as good as me or Mitch. I've been playing since 2007. Obviously, unless you're a prodigy, you won't be as good as I am (or even come close) for quite a while. But don't give up on reaching that point; it merely takes practice. A year ago I could 3 stock Edgar's Falco with Pichu. Now I have to work (not that hard teehee) to beat him with Marth/Fox, who are my mains. You'd be surprised at how much better you'll be a year from now.

MT_

Smash Ace
And you should probably take your own advice, since more than half of your posts lean towards obnoxious rather than amusing or insightful
<3

I am so hyped for IT this Saturday. Shame on all of you who are missing out. Its triumph is going to be insane!!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
lol, awesome Kal

I definitely haven't given up on trying to improve, but I've found in the past that if I take the game too seriously, it loses its fun factor. In other words, I feel that I should respect the limits of my abilities, rather than trying to push them and disappointing myself. But there's nothing wrong with trying to play my best obviously.

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, in general, it seems a lot of immature posting has gone on here.

About Brawl, it's not that hard to "understand" why people play it. People like different things and to be unable to understand those people is just a sign of immaturity. Poking at little fun at Brawl is okay, but the amount of Brawl-related immaturity in this thread is over the top.

About people being jerks online, everyone seems to like to become bigger ***** online, when I feel like it should be the other way around. Shouting profanities and insulting people as a form of argumentation doesn't make you cool. This immature behavior, combined with the detached nature of online forums, makes for lots of dumb posts that make the whole club just look bad.

Here's the tl;dr version for you lazy folks:

Everyone needs to stop acting immature and/or ****-like.

MT_

Smash Ace
So, thoughts on a ranking tournament? People that tie for a certain placements (like 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th) after the bracket will have a round robin (or simply a set) against the other people they tied with, so then we can make placements as accurate as possible (though people MAY get bracket-****ed, but we can seed to avoid that).

Noc

Smash Journeyman
Clay, your list of facts is nonsense. Sorry buddy, but there's very little objectivity to having fun. You prefer Melee over Brawl? Great. Don't try and make one statement summarizing why an entire community plays Brawl.
You're right. I was being a little silly with that post. Anyway, I apologize for suggesting that it is like an undeniable truth that one smash game is more fun than the other. That's ridiculous because what is fun is highly subjective and I am not impartial.

And why many people play Brawl but not Melee is a pretty idiotic question. It is juvenile to think that what you prefer/how you behave is what everybody else should prefer/how everybody else should behave.

With regards to a giant round robin: I think this is a good idea for the first meeting because, although it will take a while, the meeting should be long enough, it would be beneficial for everybody to play everybody (seeing different playstyles and tactics help you and others improve but also it helps everybody get to know each other), and it could provide complete, accurate rankings from the start so ppl can see where they're at and what it will take to become among the best at UT. And you wouldn't have to worry about changing the rankings again for a while.

Edit: but something along the lines of what Matt is suggesting would be more practical.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't like the idea of a big round robin tournament, nor do I like the idea of everyone tied for a certain rank playing each other to determine "precise" rankings. Precise rankings are determined by having a multitude of tournaments and analyzing results. If two players are extremely close in skill, one tournament alone won't shed light on which of the players is really better.

MT_

Smash Ace
Oh come on, it's sounding like you want to wait until 5 tournaments in before we can pull up any rankings. What harm is there in making rankings from one tournament, then after we progress with more tournaments we just modify the previous rankings with the new information/results we have? Having rankings determined by a single tournament is by no means substantial and precise by the means we want, but I doubt we'll ever have enough tournaments (with enough attendance) to have the precise rankings that we would ideally have anyways. I just think that rankings can be a motivator and also a confidence booster to everyone on the ranking list, despite whether or not the list is 100% accurate/precise or not.

Though we obviously know it's going to be somewhere along these lines:

1) Michel Yu Chavez
2) It doesn't matter since Michel is too good!

Kal

Smash Champion
Look, the point I'm making isn't that we should avoid rankings. It's that precise rankings won't be determined by a single tournament, even if it's round robin. It's a waste of time to go through all of this extra bull ****. If you want to have a ranking tournament, that's fine, but I'm not going to waste my time monitoring additional matches that don't mean anything.

JOS.fm

Smash Journeyman
I'd do the giant round robin. It would be cool. we all know kal is the best in the club so nobody is really gonna argue/care about that. I'm more curious about how I do compared to jamal and matt and whoever is left over. hopefully maybe new people.

Noc

Smash Journeyman
What if you did a ranking round robin tourney that excluded the top melee players whose rank is already obvious? i.e. it's probably clear that Kal is first and Edgar is second so they don't need to participate (unless they want to).

Though it's true that the results from one tournament cannot be used to construct truly precise rankings since sometimes people just have a bad day, it would be good to start out the academic year with a decent idea of where you stand with respect to others in terms of skill level.

MT_

Smash Ace
What if you did a ranking round robin tourney that excluded the top melee players whose rank is already obvious? i.e. it's probably clear that Kal is first and Edgar is second so they don't need to participate (unless they want to).
No! I want to challenge both Edgar and Kal (mainly Edgar) because I have been improving tremendously lately. The whole reason I proposed the ranking tournament in the first place is because a lot can happen with one's skill level during the three months of summer, and people will improve at different rates. While we were all in Austin, we played each other every couple weeks or so and we had an idea of everyone's skill level and the rate at which they have been improving. Now that we're all separate, we lose this feeling for each others skill after a few months. The ranking tournament can collect the results of each of our individual training/practicing this summer and see where it has shifted each of us.

It's a little bit of a selfish reason for myself, but I'm sure if Edgar has been improving he will want to test just how much he's improved by challenging Kal, and others will want to do the same by challenging me and each other. I think this is an event that everyone should participate in for both fun and the competitive spirit.

I'm sure we can all agree that one of the greatest satisfactions yielded when doing anything competitively and striving to improve, is to overcome an obstacle that you previously were not able to overcome. We shouldn't limit the opportunities to do this.

Also, the idea of a giant round robin was mainly a joke. While I wouldn't mind participating in one, I can understand why some may not want to. It seems the general consensus however is that a ranking tournament is not a bad idea, so let's have one in our first meeting back!

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
I agree Clay, but I was explaining why I don't find the game fun anymore. Jose didn't have to make that ballzy statement.
>_>

I'm not interested in money, I'll never be good enough to make much playing smash, so I wanna play the game that I have the most fun with.
And there's nothing wrong with not understanding how someone can find a certain game fun. One is allowed to have an opinion. I've heard it brought up in meetings and no one took offense.
It'd be different if I said something like "Brawl players are dumb for finding the game fun".
inb4xyro77'sMELEEISDEADrant

Rohan, you really need to stop taking dumb online attacks personally. And no "that's just the kind of person I am" johns. Once upon a time (from the stories I've heard) Kal raged as hard as Jamal. But now after changing himself he only rages hard but not as hard as Jamal. If Kal can change, then so can you!

Jose is a loser with no intellect and fails at everything.
melee is dying/dead

reqy

Smash Journeyman
screw rankings and forget round robin. Just buy real Doritos instead of the H-E-B brand plzkthx. The cookies you guys get are hella good tho.

blackfox51

Smash Cadet
sarcastic *******.
bait>setup>punch line. it's how it works! but nooooooooo! you ruined it for the audience doucheface.

the thing about no more spontaneous 3-hour friendlies could actually be a blessing in disguise. also, no more ****ing eric to spoil the fun.
<3
I think we're the Third Floor Triplets really. I mean, just look at all the times we played haha.
And yeah, F*** ERIC! Haha <3

Actually guys, I'm not so sure if I'm going back to UT for this year. It's a long story that can be explained in *spoiler alert* a longer post.

Top Bottom