"Under the Southern Cross, Anything is Possible!" | Mike Jones Support Thread

Just popping to ask about the thread title, southern cross?

Does that play a part in Star Tropics, is the game set in Australia or New Zealand? I never knew this.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
Not quite, but you're on the right track; StarTropics takes place in the real-life Coral Sea. In the game, the Southern Cross acts as a religious figure of sorts to the island natives, who believe the stars can foretell future events (shooting stars, said to be an omen of bad things to come, are also a recurring theme).
The thread title in question is a reference to the infamous game over screen:

Interesting you should say that. I actually find it quite easier with the joystick, up to the point where the grid-based movement is actually bearable. I mean, the 2nd Startropics will forever be my preferred favorite of the series, with its 8-way movement, but my opinion of the first is rising now.
It bears mentioning that my Joy-Cons are a little on the finicky side as it is, so that might make a difference, depending on what controller you're set up with or the quality of your Joy-Cons. I never had this much trouble with the game on Wii U, even when playing with a joystick.

Thanks! I added you to the list.

By the by, do you have any more info on that Nintendo Power article? I wasn't aware that anything like that existed, but I'll see if I can't dig it up some time.
Thank you. I appreciate it.

No I do not. It was part of a feature called "Playback" that ran in the late 2000's in Nintendo Power (2007 onward). For these sections they would talk about a particular retro title. I remember reading somewhere that in one issue, that Zoda's Revenge was the title feature for a "Playback". The only thing I remember from what was talked about in regards to the Zoda's Revenge Playback article is that it mentioned that Zoda's Revenge was completed sooner than 1994, and that is was basically shelved for a while before being brought back to help promote the top-loader NES (NES-101).

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1103097867810541568

Excellent news guys! Startropics is coming to Nintendo Online!
I find it very amusing that StarTropics and Kid Icarus are being released together. Those were the two NES titles that got me interested in retro gaming back in the very early 2000's. They both are quite challenging and somewhat rough around the edges, but they are also both must play classics for the NES in my opinion. Another quality both of these titles share is that they both received a sequel very few fans of those titles knew about (Of Myths and Monsters and Zoda's Revenge).

On a sidenote, Zoda's Revenge: StarTropics II has turned 25 years old. It is strange to think that StarTropics actually did receive a new installment during the SNES era but it was on the NES of all things. As I said before, Zoda's Revenge is a great game, and anyone that is a big fan of StarTropics should definitely check out the sequel.

Last edited:
Great to hear Nintendo Switch Online is already bringing in new fans! I reckon you'll enjoy the game. Don't be afraid to use save states, though -- it can be a grueling challenge for first-timers.

I finished up my playthrough a few hours ago, actually:

If there's one downside to playing on Switch, it'd have to be the lack of a proper D-pad. I found myself making accidental inputs with the joystick a little more frequently than I'd like to admit.
Haha thanks! I don't like using save states for the most part, only to help speed up convenience to skip cutscenes or something - not actual progress, if that makes sense.

I found this mockup on KrazyBonesTV twitter and thought it was pretty dope.

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
No I do not. It was part of a feature called "Playback" that ran in the late 2000's in Nintendo Power (2007 onward). For these sections they would talk about a particular retro title. I remember reading somewhere that in one issue, that Zoda's Revenge was the title feature for a "Playback". The only thing I remember from what was talked about in regards to the Zoda's Revenge Playback article is that it mentioned that Zoda's Revenge was completed sooner than 1994, and that is was basically shelved for a while before being brought back to help promote the top-loader NES (NES-101).
I see. It seems that my theory proposed in the OP was right after all. Not that it was particularly difficult to piece together, considering all the factors pointing towards Zoda's Revenge being completed (or at least having a considerable amount of work done) much earlier than 1994.
Super Punch-Out!!, a game for a completely different console, hit the US market only seven months after the release of Zoda's Revenge -- that alone strongly implies that the game was just once-canceled filler revived for the sake of the NES top-loader, rather than developed alongside a larger game for the Super Nintendo. After all, if Nintendo was going to dedicate the attention of an entire development team towards new software for the NES, why would a sequel to StarTropics of all things be their first choice?

Anyhow, thanks for the insight regarding that rare Nintendo Power bit. I'll have to track down a copy of the issue (which I now believe to be Volume 227, after some research) and document this nugget.

3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
NNID
NapoleonPlays
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
To be fair with BF, Sakurai had thought what any regular fan would: how would he do anything after his balloons got popped?

In the meantime, at least some of his concept has been incorporated in a way. :ultvillager::ultisabelle:
The same way half the roster does anything- by interpretting the gameplay of the world and utilizing it.
My suggestion- after his balloons get popped, he gets the parachute that launches him very slightly upward, and allows him to float down to a platform where he can re-inflate. The enemies in Balloon Fight do this, it would be a perfect solution in my eyes.