• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

Fletch

Smash Master
http://www.1up.com/news/uncharted-3-drake-deception-revealed

1up said:
UPDATE: Amazon's product listing for Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception provides a couple of shots (which we're assuming are either concept art or from a CG cutscene, because if these are in-game, that's insane) as well as the game's box art. There are also a couple of noteworthy bullet-points in the listing, including the promise of a "new breed of Action Adventure Multiplayer that brings the exciting cinematic elements of the single-player campaign, into the multiplayer," and confirmation that Uncharted 3 will support stereoscopic 3D. The box art and additional shot are below.

ORIGINAL STORY: If Sony's upcoming PlayStation 3 exclusive reveal was indeed for Uncharted 3, it looks like they allowed Entertainment Weekly to jump the gun a little. EW has the big reveal for Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, and yes, it'll primarily be taking place in a desert.

That would be the Rub' al Khali desert on the Arabian Peninsula, which Nathan Drake will explore in search of a lost city known as "Iram of the Pillars." Naughty Dog says the word "deception" is in the title for a reason, as it'll be a major theme of the game, evidently even including some kind of deception about Drake's identity. The story will also focus on Drake's mother and father (hmm...kind of like how the upcoming film adaptation will focus on Drake's family?), as well as Victor "Sully" Sullivan.

As for the desert setting, creative director Amy Henning said it was chosen because of the development challenge it posed. "When we first came up with the idea of sand, you see everyone's eyes light up here and go, 'Yeah, that's going to be really hard -- let's do it!'" she said to EW. As for gameplay, EW's report mentions "enhanced backward climbing" and "the ability to fight multiple baddies at once," but doesn't give a lot of details of how these mechanics work. And lastly, Naughty Dog is putting a lot more time and energy into expanding the multiplayer in Uncharted 3, with co-president Evan Wells saying they "want to take on the big boys of the multi-player genre."

EW also confirms the first real trailer for Uncharted 3 will be revealed during the Spike TV VGAs, so watch out for that when the awards air this Saturday. No specific release date was given, but Uncharted 3 will launch sometime next year, as Wells says 2011 is the beginning of their push to make Uncharted a "transmedia" entertainment brand -- the first Nathan Drake novel will release in the fall of next year, as well.
With the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta right around the corner, I’m sure you all want to know exactly what we’re putting into the Beta and what you can expect over the three weeks it is active. A few weeks ago, just before E3, IGN posted a thorough first sneak peek at the details of our upcoming Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta.

Now, we can give you the FULL rundown of the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta for things that weren’t necessarily covered in the IGN reveal. We put together a handy little FAQ below with ALL the details.

When can I start playing?
Tuesday, June 28, for all Infamous 2 and current PlayStation Plus members, who all get early access to the Beta.
Unfortuantely, PS Plus Members under the Welcome Back program won't be able to get early access in the following countries: Germany, Portugal, Spain and New Zealand. Sorry!

If you’re not an owner of Infamous 2 or a current PlayStation Plus member, we’re opening the floodgates to the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta for EVERYONE on Monday, July 4.

What time EXACTLY can I start playing?
UPDATE: The Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta is now available for download on ALL participating PS Stores (see above).

Is the Beta available in my region/country?
The Beta is be available in all current PSN Store regions – except Japan.

When does the Beta end?
The Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta will end on Thursday, July 14.

What gametypes and maps are available?
Throughout the three weeks of the Beta, we’ll be rotating through a variety competitive and co-op gametypes, along with access to three different maps.
June 28
to
July 3
Gametypes:

Team Deathmatch, Plunder, Three Team Deathmatch, Hardcore, Co-op Arena
Maps:

Airstrip, Chateau
July 4
to
July 9
Gametypes:

Team Deathmatch, Free For All, Team Objective, Hardcore, Co-op Hunter
Maps:

Airstrip, Chateau
July 10
to
July 14
Gametypes:

Team Deathmatch, Plunder, Three Team Deathmatch, Hardcore, Co-op Adventure, Co-op Arena
Maps:

Airstrip, Yemen

Can you tell me more about a specific gametype or map?
They say a picture is worth a thousand words right? So a video is worth at least 24,000 words per second multiplied by… or something.
Check out the video below for looks at most, but not all, of the Gametypes, Maps, and options you can experience in the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta.

UNCHARTED 3 Multiplayer reveal trailer

Co-op Hunter gameplay - Airstrip map

Co-op Adventure gameplay - Syria map

Chateau multiplayer map flythrough

Airstrip multiplayer map flythrough

Can you tell me about any of the Boosters, Medal Kickbacks, and Weapon I can expect in the Beta?
Competitive Booster Slot 1
Come Here
Endurance
Cloaked
Weapon Expert
See the opponent that killed you within a specified distance until they die
Decrease sprint recovery time
Opponents will not see your player arrow and you are difficult to hear
Add one additional MOD slot to all pistols
Competitive Booster Slot 2
Power Hunter
Daredevil
Back in the Saddle
Bargain
See the location of Power Weapons within a specified distance
Taunt over an opponent's body to receive ammo
Respawn time reduced by a specified time
Decrease Medal Kickback cost
Competitive Medal Kickbacks
RPG!!!
Speedy G
Smoke Bomb
Militia Man
Cluster Bomb
Disruption
Creepy Crawler
Spawns an RPG
Speed boost
Vanish in a puff of smoke
No reloading
One grenade explodes into multiple
Nearby enemies cannot see player arrows
Transform into a swarm of spiders
Co-op Booster Slot 1
Scoped In - Co-op
Regeneration - Co-op
Beast Mode - Co-op
Reduced pain wobble while scoped in
Recover from wounds faster
Move faster with heavy objects
Co-op Booster Slot 2
Monkey Man - Co-op
Bargain - Co-op
Back in the Saddle - Co-op
Increase traversal speed
Decrease Medal Kickback cost
Respawn time reduced by a specified time
Co-op Medal Kickbacks
Militia Man - Co-op
Team Medic
Speedy G - Co-op
Mega Bomb - Co-op
Army of Three
No redloading
Heal yourself and teammates
Speed Boost
One massive grenade explosion
Doubles the damage of all players within a specified distance

Weapon Mods

Accuracy
Blindfire Accuracy (Co-op only)
Call Out
Clip Size
Max Ammo
Reload Speed
Scope Zoom (Co-op only)

Will Power Plays be active? What weapons will I have? What characters can I choose to play with? Will I be able to customize them? And Emblems?
Power Plays are active, so if you’re in a match that is decidedly lopsided, you’ll get to experience it. As far as weapons, we’ve got a good range of sidearms and long guns to use and unlock in the beta, such as the AK-47, G-MAL, Para – 9, M9 and more! You’ll only get to choose between a few characters, but you’ll have access to a limited set of customization options to personalize your character on both the Heroes and Villains team. You can also check out our Emblem editor and create your own custom emblems.

Can I play in Stereoscopic 3D and/or use split-screen?
YES! Yes, you can. But not at the same time.

Can I see my Facebook Friends list?
Yes, all of your Facebook Friends that have linked their Facebook account via their PS3 will appear on the Facebook Friends list in our multiplayer menu - they don't even have to also be your PSN friend! Feel free to send them an invite to play the Uncharted 3 Beta!

Can I upload videos and photos to Facebook or YouTube?
No, that functionality is not available during the Beta.

Will my Beta progress or unlocks carry over to the final game?
No, what happens in the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta stays in the Beta, however we’ve lined up some killer rewards for the retail version of Uncharted 3 if you keep playing in the Beta:

Download the Uncharted 3 Beta and receive the exclusive UNCHARTED 3 PSN Beta Tester Avatar!
Complete 10 matches in every Gametype of Competitive Multiplayer and receive the Exclusive Beta Decal Pack 1!
Complete 5 matches in every Gametype of Co-operative Multiplayer and receive the Exclusive Beta Decal Pack 2!
Complete 4 Treasure Sets and receive the Treasure Hunter's Starter Pack!
Rank up to level 25 in the Beta and receive a handsome reward of in-game cash on day one!

Is there a level cap in the Beta?
Yes, it’s currently set to level 25.

Can I check my Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta stats on NaughtyDog.com?
Stay tuned – we’ve got some cool things in store for NaughtyDog.com real soon.

I like/hate something in the Beta OR I think I found a bug – where do I tell you about this?
Let us know on the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta forum in the NaughtyDog.com Community Forums.

We can’t stress this enough – please, please, PLEASE post in the Uncharted 3 Multiplayer Beta forum with your thoughts, complaints and suggestions! Your forum feedback was critical in finalizing the Uncharted 2 multiplayer modes between Beta and the final retail version. We absolutely want your feedback this time around as well. You will help us make a better multiplayer game.
UC3 Beta is LIVE for all PSN+ members (should be most people still). So far the beta is extremely impressive, and I've logged several hours since downloading it yesterday. Add me on PSN if you would like to play!

PSN: ClownMafia

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I suck at MP shooter games, but yesterday I had the two best performances of my life. 10 kills, 6 deaths and 11 kills and 7 deaths.

It's definitely like omg ****, but to me it was LOL. Especially given I usually average 1:1 or less than that.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I finished this game yesterday. Great game! It feels like a movie but plays like a game!

If I were to rate this game, I'd give it 9.7

My only (minor) complaints:

- The character animations kinda get screwed up during gameplay or during a movie/cut scene.
- Some of the puzzles could have been...easier (subjective/personal preference) (had to use a YT video/guide to figure out the game show, globe and light puzzles...)
- I wish that Drake would auto pick up ammo from dead enemies.
- I wish that Drake would carry more than two weapons like in other popular shooters.

GOTY 2011 IMO.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh that globe puzzle and the one with the light were the worst. I literally only got the globe one by chance, and the light one I had to have it literally say "put the thing here, moron". I don't have a problem with the "2 weapons at once" thing since well, it's kinda realistic in a sense. Someone with 12 guns isn't going to be moving around like that.

The actual final version multiplayer's pretty good, though EVERYONE seems to complain about how "OMG, the FAL-SS is SO OVERPOWERED!!!". Can kinda understand, but I prefer the GMAL, so I'm fine. :bee:

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Didn't expect F8AL to dig this out of the grave. lol

I thought the campaign was great, but could've ended better.

The multiplayer... I don't understand why they changed SO MUCH from U2. U2 multiplayer made that game GOTY alone imo. It felt more competitive, all of the maps were great (except Museum and Highrise), and it had ELIMINATION. Why was Elimination removed?

With U3, they added the Buddy system, sprint, kickbacks, power play, and loadouts. They didn't need to add so much. Sprint and the buddy system is a good start, but power play is dumb, kickbacks are OK imo and loadouts just ruin it for me sometimes cause some guns are better than others. In U2 you started with the AK and you had to pick up the FAL or M4, but even then they weren't better than the AK in reality so everyone was on similar playing field racing to the power guns.

The only NEW maps I like are City of Brass, London Underground, Syria...

Despite all this the multiplayer is still fun with the customization ( I <3 cat ears on Elena), but when I play U3 I just wanna play instead.

And there's no counter telling you how many people are online.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Didn't expect F8AL to dig this out of the grave. lol
I didn't own a PS3 till about a month ago. :p

And I wish they didn't cut Chloe and Cutter out of the story so quickly...

How is the co-op in this game? Any good? How does it work? (Does the 2nd player just control sully or are they co-op specific missions?)

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I don't really care for the how many people are online thing. That being said, London Underground, Airstrip, and Desert Village are really good maps, Chateau and City of Brass aren't too shabby, and Yemen's not bad either. Oddly enough the only new one I don't really like that much is Syria, and the only map I hate is Molten Ruins.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Co-op can be played with two other people, and the missions are chapter based. Some add a bit more to the story, while others are just lulzy (past villains returning from the dead for example.) Either way, it's really fun and I have yet to finish it.

We should all play MP sometime. Team up and get our ***** kicked.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
That wouldn't be all that bad of an idea. I can always use an excuse to get more Pull-downs.

Edit: We could do like a PSN list for this or something.

ulises3000

Smash Ace
NNID
Ulises3000
3DS FC
1951-1622-8058
Switch FC
SW-4892-0521-2326
I finished a couple days ago. It was so amazing and great. It was also the first shooter I had played in a long time and just felt great. Kinda wish it was longer though.

I haven't done too much online but still played some. I'm doing more of the co-op things instead of PvP cause I have totally failed on that. But I hope to get better and to actually get a kill :p

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So just to clarify, the co-op is not related to the single player at all?

Kinda like spec ops in MW2/MW3?

And I'm assuming the MP is like this? Take cover and shoot other players? (Sorry for all of the questions, I have yet to play an online game on my PS3.)

Add me on PSN: TheRealF8AL

Edit: And I read that this game has automatic ammo pick up, that's a lie!

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Yeah, the coop doesn't add much to the story.

And the MP is about taking cover and shooting....but there is a problem somewhat in regards to people abusing blind fire tactics. Though that has been toned down courtesy of a patch. Basically, people would run circles around you, while not aiming, shooting and then finish you off with melee. Super gay.

Fletch

Smash Master
The MP for co-op adventure is not canon. Lots of characters/bosses from the older games as well as levels, but the stories do not line up. I didn't really enjoy UC3 story as much as UC2, I'd recommend getting that for anyone who really enjoyed the SP in UC3 as it is much better.

I enjoy the MP in UC3 more, but I know that is likely a minority opinion. Most people seem against the loadouts and such, but I think they add to the game. Blindfire was an issue early on, but since last patch it really is, if anything, too weak. The major glaring problem according to most is that the FAL-SS with Fleet Foot attachment is too strong. As a major FAL user myself, I think the complaining is a little excessive, and the FAL is one of (if not the) guns I have had the most fun with playing in any MP shooter. The FAL has the lowest time to kill in the game of the loadout weapons (tied with M9 with Rapid Fire attach, IIRC), but I think it is balanced by being a single shot weapon and also not unlocking til 50. To add to this, the most used attachment doesn't unlock til 60 (accuracy), although people can mitigate this by unlocking some special FALs, although Talbot's FAL is the only one worth using over the stock one. Besides, even though it takes some major unlocking, I still believe Elena's G-MAL is the best gun in the game.

If anyone needs help in MP getting their stars for all of co-op crushing, you are welcome to add me. The name I use most often for UC3 is "ClownMafia", so add me or message me on SWF if you need help.

EDIT: Saw F8AL's accurate criticism of the character animations. One of the issues I had with this game was the graphics took a HUGE hit, and those that played UC2 would have likely noticed. I'll see if I can dig up a screenshot, but models and animations were screwed up in order to allow character customization in multiplayer.

Automatic ammo pickup exists F8AL, just depends on the attachments and such matching (same system as CoD).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I get how you can feel that way with the FAL, but a lot of people's criticism isn't that "it takes until Level 50 to unlock". In fact, part of it's the exact opposite in that a lot of people feel by the time you're at a high enough level to unlock the stuff for it, you really shouldn't NEED it to be getting kills. It's the same gripe people had with Situational Awareness (which I HATED) for Uncharted 2. I actually have Lazaravec's FAL (which is apparently good too), but I prefer to use Accuracy GMAL instead (even if I have heard the character GMALs are good). Also, Fleet Foot has been kinda nerfed in that if you get shot while you're aiming, your strafing speed goes right back down to normal, so I use Cloaked instead of it. But then again, I like to go for a "get in, kill, get out" approach, which i why my setup is "Cloaked, Monkey Man, and Quick Boom".

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Started with the G-Mal in the Beta back in Summer. They nerfed it hard for the Subway beta, and have been using Marlowe's M9 since. I haven't played much since the Beta, so I'm only lv 40.When I get the FAL, I'll see what it's all about.

Fletch

Smash Master
How did I forget to mention Quick Boom? The most overpowered of the kickbacks by far; this needs to be made to require about 12 medals at least. It is better than the Grenade Launcher, which currently costs way more medals. That said, I'm definitely guilty of using and abusing it.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
How did I forget to mention Quick Boom? The most overpowered of the kickbacks by far; this needs to be made to require about 12 medals at least. It is better than the Grenade Launcher, which currently costs way more medals. That said, I'm definitely guilty of using and abusing it.
With people using Cluster Bomb, Rocket Launcher, and stuff like that, I don't really feel any shame whatsoever about using it, personally.

Fletch

Smash Master
With people using Cluster Bomb, Rocket Launcher, and stuff like that, I don't really feel any shame whatsoever about using it, personally.
The problem with Quick Boom is that there is no defense against it; it is almost a guaranteed 2 kills, which helps you get medals towards getting it again, and you can die with it activated and use it again on your next life! This is the only kickback that can constantly feed itself and just completely turn the game. Watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bott-IIkn9I

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I've seen that one, and really he got most of his kills without a grenade or whatnot. It didn't really seem like he was against players that were that skilled anyway. Doesn't really change my mind anyway. I didn't feel bad using Noel in BBCS2, or Xianghua in SCIV because they fit my style, so I don't see why I should feel bad for something that accommodates the style of play I prefer.

Fletch

Smash Master
Well I definitely use it as well, but it's not hard to see it is pretty overpowered. My guess is a pretty tough nerf in the next patch (hopefully soon).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well I definitely use it as well, but it's not hard to see it is pretty overpowered. My guess is a pretty tough nerf in the next patch (hopefully soon).
I doubt it really needs it. I mean I guess they could make it so it stops when you die to balance it out.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Anyways, my PSN is theeboredone. I'm focusing on ME2 right now, but if you guys have me added, send me a message and I'll switch to UC3.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
EDIT: Saw F8AL's accurate criticism of the character animations. One of the issues I had with this game was the graphics took a HUGE hit, and those that played UC2 would have likely noticed. I'll see if I can dig up a screenshot, but models and animations were screwed up in order to allow character customization in multiplayer.

Automatic ammo pickup exists F8AL, just depends on the attachments and such matching (same system as CoD).
Oh, the automatic ammo pickup is for MP? I thought it'd be available in campaign like in the CoD games.

Also, how does the melee system work online? Can people block?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Oh, the automatic ammo pickup is for MP? I thought it'd be available in campaign like in the CoD games.

Also, how does the melee system work online? Can people block?
There's like a time window if they melee in the front where the person can press square and counter with either a superman punch or a sliding punch to the balls. Both are instant kills. Pulldowns, and stealth attacks are still instant kill too, and you can yank down someone who's hanging off another part of the ledge but above you, and kick down people to the left, right, and below you.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I never understood how instant melee kills from the front work. Always thought if the enemy had low hp, the animation would initiate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I never understood how instant melee kills from the front work. Always thought if the enemy had low hp, the animation would initiate, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Yeah, I mean the counter thing I said is a total guess since that's when I've had it work for me, but I have no idea for sure. Of course, that's not counting the times when I get spun around 180 degrees and stealth killed from behind by someone that I'm facing.

Fletch

Smash Master
Um I don't know where you guys are getting this counter information, it isn't right. Melee attacks from the front do 50 damage, and you can break necks/one hit kill them from behind. The special attacks in the front occur when the player is below a certain health (namely 50 so you an one-hit melee them) and its the first melee performed. It's random, but just a nice little effect.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Um I don't know where you guys are getting this counter information, it isn't right. Melee attacks from the front do 50 damage, and you can break necks/one hit kill them from behind. The special attacks in the front occur when the player is below a certain health (namely 50 so you an one-hit melee them) and its the first melee performed. It's random, but just a nice little effect.
Ohhhh, THAT'S how it works. See, I had literally no idea what the conditions for it were.

Fletch

Smash Master
Also, not 100% positive, but I think the conditions for it revolve around a teammate damaging them enough first, then if they are under 50 health and you melee them you get the special effect. Don't quote me on it though.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Best multiplayer game yet! Played in Hardcore mode (trying to get Talbot's Fal-SS) and went 19-4 with 2 assists. M9 + Rate of Fire = gg.

I still generally get stuck on crappy teams due to clans grouping together -_-.

Also, we should create a smash clan. Played a few games with Livewire. Good stuff!

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I think actually Eddy's FAL-SS is supposed to be better than Talbot's. That being said, playing on Hardcore and getting the stuff from that is supposed to be ridiculously hard since you don't have Treasure Hunter to help.

As for an actual clan? Who knows. But we really SHOULD get a Smashboards PSN list together.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Top Bottom