• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Umby's Mix-Up Thread (Discussion: SDR to Bair/Star KOs)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Umby, why the hell did you post back here again? Get outta here you filthy animal.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
For people who may have trouble with mix-ups and on top of that, it's been like a year and a half, I'm sure there are new mix-ups that should be discussed.

I think I came up with one earlier today but it was mostly theorycraft. It -theoretically- could work in the :dedede: MU. Since D3's like to AD to the ground alot (as they only have like 2 other options aside from that), SHFFUair > SHNair could be a frametrap. Someone, put this to the test.

Life

Smash Hero
I actually just thought of one.

ASC in front of your opponent. If they're conditioned to react to ASC, they'll likely grab you as you come down. So instead, spinshot-aerial? (depending on spacing--dair should always work but is terrible on shield, I'm not sure about spacing for bair/nair)

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
I actually just thought of one.

ASC in front of your opponent. If they're conditioned to react to ASC, they'll likely grab you as you come down. So instead, spinshot-aerial? (depending on spacing--dair should always work but is terrible on shield, I'm not sure about spacing for bair/nair)
You'll be too high for Bair and the momentum would carry you too far to do anything and Dair isn't exactly the best move to use on a opponent that'll be back in a defending position by the time Dair comes out.

I have been thinking about using Dair as a way to delay a landing if someone if going for a follow-up. Dair is also pretty useful as an interrupt against characters like Wario who can pressure with Uairs. Since the trajectory is either horizontal (which is for the initial hitbox) or vertical (which is for the later part of the move) so, if Wario is at a pretty decent percent (40-70%) it should put him out of punishment range.

Life

Smash Hero
Excel: like I said, aerials that aren't Dair depend on spacing (vertical and horizontal) of the spinshot. I'm thinking a low enough ASC-spinshotbair might work against the likes of DDD, but eh.

Things you can do out of spinshot: aerials, specials, airdodges.

Aerials: Dair stops spinshot momentum completely but is laggy and dies to your opponent's shield. Others slow momentum, but depending on height and stuff you'll probably need weird spacing to pull them off.

Specials: Spring kinda works, but isn't enough of a reward for putting yourself in a poor position. Spins are bad, they're likely not spaced correctly and yeah (although side-B in the direction you came could be good for laughs at least). HA could work but it's likely too slow.

Airdodge: ...what's the point?

If you delay the jump out of ASC a bit, however, so that you don't get the spinshot effect, then what? That changes the spacing quite a bit but slows things down. And what if you do normal shield cancel, but immediately jump out of shield when you land? Or maybe it's possible to spinshot into footstool into whatever. I'm thinking there's more to ASC than would initially be apparent (to me, at least--but maybe you people know these things and I'm too slow--it was like that with the SD thing a little while ago).

EDIT: Messed around. Yeah, Excel was right about the going-too-high part at least. Might be useful for one's platform game, but eh.

Life

Smash Hero
Eh, IDK. What if we do SDJ (offstage) into nair/fair spring as an edgeguard?

Guess this thread is right to stay open. Even if we aren't QUITE on topic.

I'm messing around with ASC-shield cancel-JC usmash. Curious if it beats grabs if properly spaced.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ok incom.

Ima give you a quick overview of the best way to use ASC

ASC at them to punish moves and throw off timing.

If they shield, you have a number of options.
if they intend to shield grab you when you hit the ground, all you have to do is not shield cancel the ASC and the SDR will beat the grab everytime, which can lead into a spindash combo.
if they spot dodge, shield cancle the ASC and punish their spot dodge.
if they shield and intend use an aerial or invincible move oos, you can footstool them after the first hit, you can use the SDR and just roll away (yes this works), or you can do an SDJ and immediately spring, stuffing whatever they just tried to do oos, and possibly comboing into the down air.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Eh, IDK. What if we do SDJ (offstage) into nair/fair spring as an edgeguard?

Guess this thread is right to stay open. Even if we aren't QUITE on topic.

I'm messing around with ASC-shield cancel-JC usmash. Curious if it beats grabs if properly spaced.

SDJ > Dair is alright at offstage pressure. It's kinda situational as you have to time the Dair so the initial hitbox sends your opponent horizontally.

Top Bottom