• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Umby's Mix-Up Thread (Discussion: SDR to Bair/Star KOs)

Umby

Smash Master
*** I need A LOT more input and feedback; so, I'll have to try and draw the whole community into this. As I list the many options in this thread, I will be listing the most viable as they have been proven either through testing or my own experience. If you believe something does not work, feel free to post about it. It will be discussed and I will update this thread accordingly. ***

Act I: General Theory

When I began playing Melee competitively, I only had my younger brother (decent at the basic game at the time) and CPUs to practice with. When I played in my first tournament, I got wrecked by everyone. Afterward, I went over to SleepyK and asked him to teach me Fox. One thing Sleepy pointed out to me was that I did the same things repeatedly, and that I needed to mix things up. Remember, mixing up relies on having numerous options available to you at any given time.

I've carried over that virtue into my Brawl playing style today, and it's evident in any video I'm in. My brain tells me something isn't working, and I find a new approach. I then quickly force myself to believe that strategy won't work either and change my tactics in the middle of the previous one. I'm mindgaming myself to play mindgames. Cool little concept, but it's a double edged sword.

I frequently mix things up, but ultimately, this can cost time and damage percentage. So, if you find something that works, spam it until it doesn't. You'll only "need" to mix up your moves against smarter opponents.

Now, effective mix ups rely on a couple of things:

1. Having numerous options available to you at any given time.
  2. The opponent looking for an option different from the one you are currently using.
Sonic's mobility and move properties allow him to embody number 1. You'll have to work at forcing number 2 through baiting.

Act II: Neutral Stance / Baiting

I use the term "neutral" very loosely. A still Sonic is a dead Sonic. So for now, we'll tie the concept of neutral to when you are distancing yourself from the opponent and luring him into a more comfortable area for you to operate in. Baiting will be used as a more offensive term in which you will be closing the distance to force an attack or approach. In this case you are looking to punish the opponents attacks or movements, start attack strings, and do damage.

I'll present Neutral Stance with a scenario:

Sonic vs Ice Climbers. You don't want to get grabbed. If you attempt to approach often, however, that grab is bound to be landed at some point in time. You can't just sit/run around on the other side of the stage an expect ICs to come at you out of boredom. So you draw them closer to your base of operations until you can setup a defensive at a closer range. That's obviously where baiting comes in. You have to get in closer and inch your way back into a defensive.

Neutral Stance Options:
  • Dash Dance Pivot
  • Normal Dashing (Back and Forth)
  • Foxtrotting (Back and Forth)
  • Dash In -> Short Hop Out
  • Short Hop In -> Dash Out
  • Short Hop In -> Short Hop Out
  • Spin Shot In -> Dash Out
  • Spin Shot In -> Spring

The general idea here is to use your superior mobility to draw out the opponent's approach. General ground movement tricks often look like easy damage - Sonic's not running straight up to you and he doesn't have an attack thrown out. He's just over there doing some silly stuff. An opponent will generally think he's safe and has a good chance to land an attack. He's probably right unless you are progressively distancing yourself FROM the opponent. Using Spin Shot to accomplish this is a lot riskier and is more affiliated with actual baiting and offense, but I list it because it can get the job done in Neutral as well.

Mixing these options is pretty simple. You probably want to start off with just dashing around. Throw in some screech stops and some dash dances. From whatever position you're in at that point, you can Short Hop to avoid attacks and cancel any momentum you just had on the ground. It's basically your first panic button if you feel you're putting yourself too much at risk. Spring is the second panic button.

When you feel like mixing the timing, you can take to the air before you maneuver on the ground. Sonic's aerial speed is much lower than his ground speed, so slowing down in the air before you speed up on the ground is often a solid idea to get the opponent moving.

Baiting Options:
*All Neutral Stance Options are generally included with Baiting Options. Exclusive to baiting, though:
  • Shield Dashing (Back and Forth)
  • ASC Canceling
  • Dash -> Screech Stop
    • Any ground attack
  • Dash -> Pivot -> Fsmash/Ftilt/Dsmash
  • Foxtrot -> Stutter Step Fsmash/Retreating Stutter Step Fsmash
  • Foxtrot -> Delayed Dash Attack
  • Foxtrot -> Delayed DACUS/Hyphen Smash
  • Dash In -> Short Hop in place
    • Any ground attack

Similar concept as Neutral, except you want to start getting in the opponent's face and apply pressure. The reason Shield Dashing is included here and not Neutral is that if you have to Shield while dashing, you're getting too close for what counts as Neutral and you're looking to punish OoS. You'll also note that ASC (canceled) is the only Special option here (unless you count Spin Shot and Spring which are carried over from the Neutral Options). Once again, you are looking to force a reaction from the opponent and punish accordingly. You aren't going for a straight out offense here.

One of the keys here is to abuse your OoS options. Getting in close only takes a second, and it takes half that time for the opponent to get insecure about how close Sonic is. Even the most safe moves used out of panic are often easy to punish, so this should be your main goal strictly for racking up damage.

Because of the amount of movement involved with chaining the two processes, you have many options to choose from. Once again, it's best to choose what works. You'll only really need to change your tactics if the opponent catches on, but it's nice to keep the opponent on his feet. That in itself will restrict your opponents decisions on how to deal with your Sonic.

Act III: General Aerial Discussion

This is a very peculiar topic for Sonic indeed. Because the difference in his aerial speed as compared to his ground speed, he's not in the best possible state in the air, but his aerial acceleration and the properties of his attacks allow him to do some pretty tricky things. Sonic's aerial options are generally straightforward (SH Fair, ASC, VSDJ), so I won't bother listing them individually. Instead we can go straight into the meat of Sonic's aerial mixups and attack combinations:

Aerial Mixups:
  • SH Fair / Retreating Fair
    • DJ Fair / Retreating Fair
      • FF Nair
      • FF Bair
      • ASC
      • Spring
    • DJ Nair
      • FF Nair
      • FF Bair
      • ASC
      • Spring
    • DJ ASC
    • Nair
    • Bair
    • Spring
    • ASD
  • SH Bair (No Fast fall) / Retreating Bair
  • SH Nair
  • SH Uair
  • VSDJ
    • Bair / DJ Browny Bair
    • Nair / FF Nair
    • Fair (Aerial Chase or on VSDJ Hit)
    • Uair
      • DJ Uair
      • Spring / DJ Spring
    • DJ Uair
      • Spring
    • DJ Spring
  • ASC
    • DJ Any Aerial
    • DJ Spring
    • DJ ASC
  • Spin Shot
    • Any Aerial
    • Spring

In the options for VSDJ, I outlined the extensive uair -> Spring chain to emphasize how VSDJ gets you more height than your first jump so that you'll get more height with VSDJ -> DJ than just regularly double jumping. With this you can also "mix-up" the timing in which you would chase someone with a uair, Spring, or any aerial for that matter.

Act IV: Edgeguarding / Gimping / Recovery

Edgeguarding / Gimping

Because of Sonic's low aerial mobility, an opponent can generally read any straightforward gimping tactics you use. That's why it's important to know know just how many ways you can **** people off stage. This section will be a bit different. Since you'll only be using maybe a couple of options before you have to recover for yourself, listing what you can do will be pretty awkward without some sort of explanation.

*Aerials - You aren't really limited to just one or two of your aerials when you meet your opponent off stage. Even uair has a use or two. What you really want to be looking for is placement of these moves. If your opponent is recovering low, you want to either catch him during his second jump, or intimidate him so that he eats his second jump. You can accomplish this by either fast falling an aerial during that jump, or falling low and double jumping an aerial during their second jump. With Charizard and Pit, a similar tactic applies, but you have to be even more aware of Fly and arrows. There is really no need to chase after those hos from Dreamland. They all pretty much have an offensive advantage over you off stage. With Dedede, though, if you force his Super Dedede Jump, you could land a Spring -> Uair for a star KO (or at least extra damage) or a Homing Attack (I'm experimenting). You'll want to attempt this usually when he gets closer to the stage, however. In general, if you're looking for the gimp, FF Fair/ Double Fair and Dair (semispike) get the job done. Nair is cool too but to follow up with it for a true gimp, you may have to risk going REALLY low to follow up. That or the opponent has to be susceptible to Spring. If you're looking for the kill, time a back air. Uair is just a quick decision. The opponent is right under the ledge, so you can't really land a FF Fair, so just FF Uair. It's quick damage, might get a stage spike, and you still have a good amount of room to recover.

* Any Tilt - Dtilt and a downward tilted ftilt are decent options to reach over the ledge, often setting up for a FF Fair or FF Uair. I guess uair is somewhat useful if they're above you. The way Ftilt and Dtilt are disjointed make them viable for just standing there and edgeguarding (somewhat) but with utilt, you might want to surprise attack them out of a screech stop. Since the opponent is trying to land, you can look for an airdodge after utilt hits and punish accordingly. If you can eat up an opponent's jumps by doing that, it makes gimping that much easier. If not, once again - free damage.

* DSmash and USmash - Dsmash punishes spot dodges as the opponent tries to land from above. Run around, fake a Short Hop, land and charge it. None's the wiser. Play around with intimidation tactics that work best for you. You want them to fall right into it, so empty Short Hops or stopping in front of them are often decent ideas. Usmash is for when the opponent closes the distance from off stage to the ledge. The hitbox reaches out over the edge, so if the opponent didn't autograb the ledge, he probably got hit. Mostly for recoveries right above the stage.

* SDJ - Spin Dash Jump is a great way to make your presence known off stage. While keeping your double jump, you get more height and max air speed than a Full Hop. Combine that with the angle at which you are traveling through the air, and you can go to ******** lengths to end your opponent's life just a little earlier. Even if you don't land a hit off stage, just getting in the opponent's face can make them panic. If they do your work for you that's fine too, right?

* VSDJ - I believe this is underused in regards to edgeguarding (and probably underused in general. VSDJ can serve two simple purposes in edgeguarding. The first is situational, in that you can punish double jumped air dodges and create a weak wall at the edge. Think of usmash, except it's one weak hit that reaches further vertically. The other use is timing off stage aerials. VSDJ helps you reach high recoveries and sets up fast fallen aerials. When you're on stage, an opponent can predict the timing in when you're going to intercept them and throw out an aerial to cover themselves. You could always predict them and mix up your timing, but VSDJ makes that A LOT easier. While floating in the air, an opponent below has to guess when you're going to fast fall WHILE compensating for the distance both of you are already closing. Barring that, you also have your second jump as an extra tool for mixing up your timing. Keep that in mind.

* Aerial Spin Dash / Aerial Spin Charge - ASD is great for horizontal distance in the air, and Sonic's recovery means he can go far out of his way to hit opponents and still make it back (One reason why Recovery goes hand in hand with the rest of this section). You can also use the height from the hop combined with your Full or Short Hop and mix up the timing on close-to-ledge gimps. Uses for ASC for edgeguarding are not generally in my field of knowledge, so I'd like to see what the Sonic boards say about this.

* Homing Attack - Normally a bad idea unless you're gimping far from the stage (and even then...), but I'm recently finding that it might be a cool edgeguard on stage if you force Dedede to use all of his midair jumps. Knocks him out of Super Dedede Jump. This one's up for discussion too.

* Spring -

Foot-springing: Done by combining a footstool jump and a spring jump in the same input. With tap jumping on, hit up and b while over your enemy. If it lands successfully, your opponent will be footstooled but the spring will spawn inside your enemy and hit them (has slightly greater knock-back than a normal spring). It is useful to use this in situations where you want to get a footstool but aren't sure whether you can get it because whiffing the footstool usually means the spring will hit them. Easiest to use this on large sized characters.
Footstool-spring combo: A footstool followed immediately by an up-b. Should only be used on opponents level with the stage or under it; otherwise, it will amount to a low damage attack and not actually kill your opponent. This will kill many characters at low %s but is very difficult to land.
Nair-Spring Combo: This attack works best on fast-fallers that are at or under the stage level
Other than that, Spring-and-let-gimp.

Mixing up your edgeguarding is all about timing. Do you want to go out to the blast line for a gimp? Do you want to eat up all of the opponent's jumps first? Maybe a last second aerial puts the opponent in a more disadvantaged position. In any case, I recommend experimenting with your Specials off stage. Spin Dash's peculiar animation and your aerial speed keep the opponent guessing as well as keep many of your aerial options available to you. VSDJ or SH Spin Dash from the stage also allows you to get considerable height without the use of your double jump. Truly a godsend.

Experiment. Experiment. Experiment. You can really go ape**** with Sonic off stage. Definitely don't be afraid to test the extent at which you can go out and hit someone.

Recovery

Not being able to auto grab the ledge with your Up-B can be a pain, but being able to attack out of it partially makes up for it. That being the case, you really have to make sure your recovery is unpunishable or at least unpredictable to make sure you get screwed.

Your options are pretty clear-cut on this one (Pretty much all your specials and your midair jump) so there's no reason in listing them. Just a general rule of thumb though:

"Homing Attack first. Homing Attack last."

If you're way out by the blast line, you can use HA to get the initial horizontal distance you need for a better-positioned recovery. After that, only use it as a last resort to close the remaining distance by locking on to your opponent. It can be pretty easy to misjudge just how low you already are when using HA, and you could end up too low to recover, even with Spring.

Using Spin Dash to meet your horizontal recovery needs will usually be sufficient enough to work well by itself. Because of the arc and the fact that you can still jump, you're already hard enough to intercept. However, using ASC after momentum canceling is preferable when you're in danger of being KO'd. FF Fair + ASC results in a sort of braking effect and allows you to live a bit longer. (Thanks infzy)

Spin Shot should not be used for long range recovery. Spin Dash gets you where you need to go WITHOUT wasting your midair jump. Occasionally you can recover high with it, if you're sure you can get back to solid ground, but otherwise save Spin Shooting for gimmick tactics like running off the edge and Spin Shooting back on.

A knowledgeable opponent will attempt to force Sonic to recover low so that he can grab gimp him out of Spring. If you're forced to recover low, there are a few things you can do to avoid this.

The first is simply to attack out of your Spring. If you're lucky or have good timing, you'll miss getting caught by Super Armor frames or at least cause enough shield stun to land on the ground before getting grabbed.

Your second option is to air dodge after Spring. Here your main goal is to land on the stage, period. The only possible flaw here is that the opponent may wait for the air dodge before grabbing. They might not even be looking for the grab at all, and instead opt for charging a smash.

Your last, non-stage exclusive resort is Homing Attack. This is merely a surprise attack for those who are waiting to (and adept at) intercept your recovery. A couple of examples of where you'd use HA as a last resort would be:

A) You are far enough below the stage to risk being cypher gimped.
B) You've Spin Dashed toward the stage (saving your second jump) and the opponent is looking to attack you OoS.​

Keep in mind, you are still at risk of being punished when using HA as well as at risk of gimping yourself if the opponent is not in HA's range. Make SURE that your other options are NOT (or at least very unlikely to be) viable before resorting to HA. Too much can go wrong at the press of a button. Remember that when recovering, your main goal is to safely land on stage.

Act V: Landing Your Kill Moves

The first issue address when one inquires about Sonic regards his lack of kill moves. The truth is, there are a number of characters who have just as many options for killing as Sonic does. Sonic's real problem is reliably landing those kill moves. Bair is often stale from spacing and abuse (for a lot of players) and fsmash/dsmash just don't start quick enough to use OoS. So the question becomes, "How do I land Sonic's kill moves?"

First, let's bring down some information from the top of this thread:

Neutral Stance Options:
  • Dash Dance Pivot
  • Normal Dashing (Back and Forth)
  • Foxtrotting (Back and Forth)
  • Dash In -> Short Hop Out
  • Short Hop In -> Dash Out
  • Short Hop In -> Short Hop Out
  • Spin Shot In -> Dash Out
  • Spin Shot In -> Spring

Baiting Options:
*All Neutral Stance Options are generally included with Baiting Options. Exclusive to baiting, though:
  • Shield Dashing (Back and Forth)
  • ASC Canceling
  • Dash -> Screech Stop
    • Any ground attack
  • Dash -> Pivot -> Fsmash/Ftilt/Dsmash
  • Foxtrot -> Stutter Step Fsmash/Retreating Stutter Step Fsmash
  • Dash In -> Short Hop in place
    • Any ground attack

Aerial Mixups:
  • SH Fair / Retreating Fair
    • DJ Fair / Retreating Fair
      • FF Bair
      • ASC
    • DJ Nair
      • FF Bair
      • ASC
    • DJ ASC
    • Bair
    • ASD
  • SH Bair (No Fast fall) / Retreating Bair
  • VSDJ
    • Bair / DJ Bair
    • Uair
      • DJ Uair
      • Spring / DJ Spring
    • DJ Uair
      • Spring
    • DJ Spring
  • ASC
    • DJ Any Aerial
    • DJ ASC
  • Spin Shot
    • Any Aerial

* Lists edited to omit non-killing options or moves that don't lead into those options.

For emphasis, even when regarding Sonic's kill moves, the idea is to bait a reaction from the opponent and punish them for that reaction. The lists above pretty much cover most of what you can do in that regard, but let's shift topics to what is not mentioned.

Sidestep/Air Dodge vs Charged Smashes

*Just a litte note: with the ideas presented here, of course they can apply to usmash (though with the lengthy duration of the move it can work without charging), but our aim is to kill here, so it will be omitted from the rest of the information given.*

When dealing with sidesteps and air dodges, the same idea applies in baiting the actual reaction. Some things that do that effectively (while leaving you in position to use a smash) are Bthrow, Uthrow, dashing, and double taking. Sonic causes fear through his ability to quickly follow up from his moves. However, he can be just as quick to run away and back in and still follow up. That is what generally forces dodges. In the case of opponents recovering above stage they could also air dodge expecting to be intercepted. Whether baiting the dodge or land camping a recovery, you can look for the dodge, and charge away. If you need a move convincing sleight, throw in some empty Short Hops every now and then.

SDR -> Bair

At what percentage(s) does SDR -> Bair connect, and when does bair kill?
i dont have anything to support this but its highly stage dependant but on an average size/weight character (mario) from the middle of the stage, im going to say it connects at the 125-170 range and kills at about 130 fresh
I connect it at as low as 45ish percent.

Idk when it kills fresh cause I use it lots for damage racking.

:093:
I think it's dependent on timing rather then percentage.
Use your best judgement, but it'd be appreciated if you guys discussed or confirmed the best usage for this.

Bair and Platforms

Drop-through Bairs on platforms are solid options for opponents on or below the platform. It can be a quick, strong surprise attack from a defensive position. You could also SDJ/VSDJ to push them off the platform. A missed tech from there could net you a free Bair if you fast fall it quick enough. If not you can always read the wake up.

Star KOs/Anthinus Combo

I need help on this one, guys.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Read everything fully through Act I.

The format makes it a bit hard to read through, in my opinion. Act I should be merged with another act or something. It gives general tips, and more than that it's basic stuff. If you're at the level where learning mix-ups are important you can be sure that stuff like keeping track of your jumps is a given. I'd say that you focus on a tournament level audience and dispense with newbie-friendly advice.

EDIT: And I don't think it's a good idea to start talking about Act II or III yet until more people give input on I.

EDIT2: Looking at it again, I actually think your introduction provides a lot of stuff that does a good job of laying down the important framework for mix-up theory. Maybe pare it down and make that into the body of Act I.

EDIT3: But then, what the f-ck do I know?

Trent

Smash Champion
Good guide so far. After reading Act II, I realize that I play way to offensively with Sonic.. I have to force myself to not approach sometimes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

Does this saying not hold any water in competitive gaming at all? I know that it is encouraged to mix things up when something isn't working, or to keep using the same thing if the opponent is not adapting to a certain brickwall; but how about my question?

We all know how Homing Attack is regarded as terrible, right? Spamming this is even more of a taboo, but please take a look at this moment in this link here...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6pa1gqRAs#t=3m25s

Had I not used that second HA, I might've been put in a worse position.

I know there are a lot of disclaimers like how in a neutral stance an opponent should be able to shield and punish Homing Attack, but the point of this thread is for mix-ups, right?

So can you explain to me why it's generally a bad idea to keep doing the same thing over and over again regardless of whether or not the strategy is working? Is it because it teaches bad habits or deprives people of being more diverse than they could?

There's more.

Some could say how Homing Attack is so bad that nobody expects you to use this and when you do they get caught off-guard. Some might also go as far as to say the opponent just sucks/is not knowledgeable because of how easy it is to avoid such things, but I'm curious to see your response Umby.

Umby

Smash Master
Your question brings up some peculiar points that I'll try to address separately:

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again."

Does this saying not hold any water in competitive gaming at all? I know that it is encouraged to mix things up when something isn't working, or to keep using the same thing if the opponent is not adapting to a certain brickwall; but how about my question?
If you repeat a strategy and it works, that's fine, so long as it nets you a win and has a relatively advantageous risk-reward ratio. But in many cases, that only works on a select amount of opponents, depending on what strategy we're talking about. Let's say you spam SDR -> Homing Attack against a below average opponent and it's working consistently for the duration of the match. You aren't getting punished for it, you're racking up damage safely, and you're putting the opponent at a disadvantaged situation.

Repeat Strategy: Viable

Next you go up against a considerably better player. You use the same strategy. Homing Attack is being shielded, but you aren't being punished for it. Either the opponent's character is unable to punish you OoS or the opponent lacks knowledge in how to do so. In this case you are generally safe due to shortcomings on the opponent's part. That means you can spam the strategy to apply shield pressure, in the very least. At some point, that means an eventual damage as the opponent's shield diminishes or tries to find another way to counter your attack. Remember DMG's words on frustrating the opponent enough until he plays worse and slips up? In the sense of "If at first you don't succeed," it's more of a case of "If at first you don't succeed but are showing progress."

Repeat Strategy: Viable (In a sense)

Then a top level player knowledgeable in fending off Sonic shows up. You spam your previous strategy, but it's being shut down. There's a saying that doing something over and over again with no results is called insanity. This is a point when you need to mix things up. The kicker is, that strategy is not necessarily completely nonviable anymore, it's just not viable when it is spammed. Thrown in with a string of other approaches and attacks, it can get you some damage as well.

So instead of: SDR -> HA, SDR -> HA, SDR -> HA
Which doesn't work, you get: SDR -> Fair -> Bair, SDR -> Spring, SDR -> Spring, SDR -> Homing Attack

Which keeps the opponent guessing a bit more, and may net you a hit more often than the previous strategy.

Repeat Strategy: Nonviable. Here's where you start mixing up.

So to answer your first question, trying again does hold water. Some strategies don't show immediate results, but can force holes in the opponents defense. When the hole becomes big enough or when enough pressure is applied, your strategy may start to become successful. However, some repeat strategies are simply futile or come with too high a risk for too little reward. Not to mention, when you do defeat people with a certain strategy, they're likely to try and learn how to counter it soon afterward. True, you could simply swap out for another spammy strategy that works, but that means you'd have to have knowledge about your other options, right?

We all know how Homing Attack is regarded as terrible, right? Spamming this is even more of a taboo, but please take a look at this moment in this link here...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS6pa1gqRAs#t=3m25s

Had I not used that second HA, I might've been put in a worse position.
Campus computers are lame and most don't have updated flash players, so I can't view the video at the moment, so I can't see if you may have had another option in whatever situation you were in.

edit: Having watched it, I'm going to have to say that you wouldn't have been put in the best position without that HA, but without it you could have been in several positions. You could have walked into that fsmash, fell to the ledge, or even used Spring. In this case, spam being effective seemed to be only luck, unless you were expecting/predicting the fsmash.

I know there are a lot of disclaimers like how in a neutral stance an opponent should be able to shield and punish Homing Attack, but the point of this thread is for mix-ups, right?
This thread is for mix-ups, and I'm definitely planning to address / suggest homing attack as the thread nears completion. Be aware, however, that mixups aren't only prevalent on you knowing your own options, but their effectiveness also relies on (I should add this in to the first post as well, methinks) the opponent looking for an option different from the one you are currently using.

"Then why can't you just spam an attack until the opponent starts looking for it?"

You can. Homing attack just isn't recommended as one of those moves. The first time it's thrown out, it's possible the opponent will be caught off guard and either get hit or neglect to punish. But the more you use it, the more it gets telegraphed. That's just like any other move, except Homing Attack has a higher risk for lower reward than many other moves do. It's just not safe to spam laggy moves, especially on block.

So mix it in, just don't spam it.

So can you explain to me why it's generally a bad idea to keep doing the same thing over and over again regardless of whether or not the strategy is working? Is it because it teaches bad habits or deprives people of being more diverse than they could?
Now this is interesting. It's not a bad idea if you are smart and are aware/able to do more than just spam. But there are people who lack knowledge in their character's options (sometimes their options as it relates to certain matchups) and can only do a set amount of things.

An example that works both ways:

I played my Marth against a Kirby I know once in tournament. While generally Marth has the advantage in the MU, I have no idea what a decent Kirby does or what I do to a decent Kirby. So while I proceeded to Fair/Dancing Blade spam, he continued to shield grab (Yes, they were tipper fairs, I'm quite sure) or Roll -> Utilt me. I lacked (and still do) knowledge on my full range of abilities as Marth and got wrecked for it.

Repeating something that works: Good idea
Repeating something that doesn't work: Bad idea
Repeating something that doesn't work and not knowing what else to do: Bad habit. L2P.

There's more.

Some could say how Homing Attack is so bad that nobody expects you to use this and when you do they get caught off-guard. Some might also go as far as to say the opponent just sucks/is not knowledgeable because of how easy it is to avoid such things, but I'm curious to see your response Umby.
Some could say HA is so bad that no one expects it's use. But then some could say Sonic users KNOW it's bad and don't use it. Either one is reason enough for you to save it for mix ups and not spam. If you do spam it, then of course someone would expect it.

TL;DR:

Attack spam that works is fine. Spam that doesn't work isn't fine. A good player isn't required to spam when it works, but neither is he required to mix it up when spam is relatively easier/safer. But when he's repeating a failed strategy and getting punished for it, that's when it's best to know and resort to your many other options. "Bad" moves can be included in these options, but you should weigh the risk-reward factor in the situation before using them. Using the "May-Not-Expect-It" clause (Note, this clause is different from "Most-likely-won't-expect-it-because-I-just-did-something-slightly-different-a-second-ago") is rarely a decent reason for doing something. This isn't Pokemon.

Hope that covers/answers most of everything.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Alright, since apparently no one else cares, CONDENSE YOUR SH#! DAMMIT!

There is way too much there that has nothing to do with the mix-ups. Don't make me come in here again with the same point!

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
Umby. I like this guide. I do have a question, though. You said:

Repeating something that doesn't work and not knowing what else to do: Bad habit. L2P.

Now, what if you ARE mixing it up, doing different things, and the opponent STILL reads you? And, even if you are mixing it up, you are still the one taking more damage?

Umby

Smash Master
Alright, since apparently no one else cares, CONDENSE YOUR SH#! DAMMIT!

There is way too much there that has nothing to do with the mix-ups. Don't make me come in here again with the same point!
I'll do so in my next edit. Mind helping me though? I really did ask you guys for help because I rant so god****ed much.

Umby. I like this guide. I do have a question, though. You said:

Now, what if you ARE mixing it up, doing different things, and the opponent STILL reads you? And, even if you are mixing it up, you are still the one taking more damage?
Then you're doing it wrong, basically. You're either mixing it up in random ways hoping for results (like I do) or you're doing really unsafe things that end up you being hit a lot (like I do). When you mix-up, you should be complementing your BnP game, not directly trying to get a hit. Trying to do the latter with Sonic is generally unsafe. I might as well say this now, but if you ever asked me, direct hits should come from basic gameplay strategy(FH Fair to try and hit Dedede, for example).

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I need A LOT more input and feedback; so, I'll have to try and draw the whole community into this. As I list the many options in this thread, I will be listing the most viable as they have been proven either through testing or my own experience. If you believe something does not work, feel free to post about it. It will be discussed and I will update this thread accordingly.

Act I: General Theory

When I began playing Melee competitively, I only had my younger brother (decent at the basic game at the time) and CPUs to practice with. When I played in my first tournament, I got wrecked by everyone. Afterward, I went over to SleepyK and asked him to teach me Fox. One thing Sleepy pointed out to me was that I did the same things repeatedly, and that I needed to mix things up. Remember, mixing up relies on having numerous options available to you at any given time.

I've carried over that virtue into my Brawl playing style today, and it's evident in any video I'm in. My brain tells me something isn't working, and I find a new approach. I then quickly force myself to believe that strategy won't work either and change my tactics in the middle of the previous one. I'm mindgaming myself to play mindgames. Cool little concept, but it's a double edged sword.

I frequently mix things up, but ultimately, this can cost time and damage percentage. So, if you find something that works, spam it until it doesn't. You'll only "need" to mix up your moves against smarter opponents.
Read over that and see if it's ok. I mostly just deleted unnecessary or redundant phrases and fixed some grammar errors (this **** is fit for a college thesis now); however, I did change the meaning of one or two sentences and deleted things which you might have found necessary. If it's not to your liking you can change things back (you won't want to though :D).

MalcolmM

Smash Lord
SM5 just play offensive if u notice someone camping u. It's not an actual offense. Its just safe moves that seem to be approaches and put ur opponents in defensive positions. like the dash attack (if they are above 40..) or ASC and then cancel it like 1 character length infront of them. Those 2 things will make ur opponent kinda uneasy and they will attempt to put up some sort of wall to stop u. U want the wall. U can beat any stupid wall. U just dont want them to feel like they have no reason to be scared. Ur sonic and allegedly u could "attack @ any moment". If ur opponent is standing there and walking around waiting for ur moves...then just do unpunishable moves that have OPTIONS behind them they have to cover aka...do what umbys thread suggests u do D:<

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Isn't it so much more readable now? :D
I think Act I is looking decent; so, let's move to Act II.

I'm thinking Act II could do with some more explaining. Just saying what it is that you can do isn't all that useful. I think the guide should try to illustrate what you should expect to be able to work and how/why it would work when it does.

Umby

Smash Master
Isn't it so much more readable now? :D
I think Act I is looking decent; so, let's move to Act II.

I'm thinking Act II could do with some more explaining. Just saying what it is that you can do isn't all that useful. I think the guide should try to illustrate what you should expect to be able to work and how/why it would work when it does.

Cool, I'll get on it soon..

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
so basically, dont try to attack. try to get them to whiff an attack, then punish, right? If so, its hard to get someone to attack you without camping to trap you from trying to punish...
Couldn't it also be because you might not actually have a choice in some situations...?

Then if you getting punished, it might also just be because the opponent got lucky...? @_@

So many variables.

Umby

Smash Master
Ok, what I think I'll do is group these first set of acts as one part for the sole purpose of listing out Sonic's options. THEN I'll go into a separate part to show HOW you want to mix up these options. I realize I don't really think when I mix stuff up. It just happens. So I have to try and find time to analyze my play style (once again, campus computers are lame and sometimes don't have the latest flash players) before I can actually portray my thought process.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
so basically, dont try to attack. try to get them to whiff an attack, then punish, right? If so, its hard to get someone to attack you without camping to trap you from trying to punish...
Not really. considering Sonic's speed allows him on the ground to reach the end of FD in less than a second, if you are around mid range running outside the range of, lets say ChuDat's kirby (lol) constantly moving, it will provoke a responce. It is stupid for the most part against Sonic to be still at a range where you can't react to a possible attack, which at any time could be a fake! Either he'd have to be proactive and attack you before you even decide to attack, or change to spacing to something more comfortable. Now, consider that this level of decision making will take place in a matter of seconds, and we know that the matchup on Sonic vs Kirby up close has a lot of wieght on who gets the garbs. then add to the fact that because you are constantly moving outside of even his grab range, the quick startup of the dash attack that you have, the fact that if he stays there waiting for you, he'd have to guess when you will actually attack BEFOREHAND so he can dodge and uptilt or counter it with a bair/ uptilt on REACTION...

sigh. Its gets moer difficult for the opponent to make the safe choice, in the scale of a whole match like this, and usually you if you pay attention you can see/ get a feel for thier tendancies in that situation and kinda force them into either a bad situation or keep it in a neutral situation where you at the very least won't take unessasary damage. all under the guise of hyper agressiveness. That's the beauty of Sonic.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Finally got the chance to read through all of this. It's a good start, but I really wish I could help out with this more. School blows.

Just a quick thing ( I read the OP, not the comments yet -_- ) I think we should go into ways to look for and land kills. This is something that helps EVERYONE because most of us experienced Sonics know all of our options, but even the best of us struggle due to Sonic's lack of reliable KO moves. Now, we know more flashy (but still useful) things like run past > Fsmash, Hypnosmashing, etc. but perhaps we can break those down for WHY they work.

Example)
Hypnosmash - Works well against spotdodge spammers. The charging of the Fsmash (and of course the hypnotic rotation of Sonic's arms) help to fool your opponent into spotdodging to avoid the smash, when really they are setting themselves up for one.

A lot of people like to toss around the word "mindgame" as if charging a Fsmash will always make your opponent spotdodge. Mindgames aren't rehearsed which is something that should be made clear. I don't know if you want to go that in depth or not Tumby.

I know this is all basic ****, but we should go into Sonic's killing options imo. Even though is best options really are gimping/edguguarding.

Umby

Smash Master
Once and for all, please stop calling me such a ******** nickname.

Also, you have to take into account that I'm not completely done editing this thread. I just made a random edit to Act IV this morning.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You may have all the money in the world to buy a name change...

...but money can't buy off my memories.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord

Also, you have to take into account that I'm not completely done editing this thread. I just made a random edit to Act IV this morning.
Yes. Because Synchronize isn't a ******** name at all.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Lol, fancyfeet, that's a new one. But hey, I never said MY name wasn't ********. I at least didn't go through the trouble of changing it to something even less cool.

AND! For the RECORD, I happened to like your old nick.

Umby

Smash Master
If you all most know, this is an alternate nickname I used when Pokemon Netbattle was actually fun. Everyone started changing their nicknames around a certain time, so I joined in. I also use this name on certain forums and in my youtube account - cases where Teh Umby is an invalid name (I don't like using the underscore or extra numbers in conjunction with Teh Umby/Umby) and/or Umby is already taken.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
The fact that you used the term "Pokemon Netbattle" in conjunction with your current nick just makes me like it that much less.

Plus, I don't see how that explains the name at all. If there was at least some kind of story behind it I'd be more forgiving.

But I say bring back the ol' Umby.

JMan8891

Halfrican-American
Lol

Funny start to my day right there.

And i'd 2nd Cam's motion for ko analysis. I either gimp, "mindgame" Fsmash, maybe land the Bair (always stale, its for teh spacie gamez sun!!!), or get the occasional Dsmash from something telegraphed.

Whenever we get to that point, as a community we have a LOT to discuss about that, imo

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
yeah, we kinda just say "Sonic can't kill so he sucks" but never really state on the boards ways to try and get around that. We obviously work these things into our playstyles and from experience, but it would be a good idea to document those shenanigans.

also Tumby sounds great imo

Umby

Smash Master
Made some minor updates to Act II, explaining how to mix things up. Not quite done yet.

Would you all prefer that I color code the new changes I make save for the new sections I add?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
No. Excessive colors makes it harder to read. Just give headings a different color so people can find different sections easier.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
What is it with you and colors? Just use the standard white for all the standard text and make the headings something recognizable. It strains the eyes to have to read all that weird color sh-t.

Umby

Smash Master
Double Post for bump. Chime in at any time guys. If you see parts where I'm ranting or going in circles with my logic, it means I'm having trouble explaining myself. If you want to contribute or change my words around, feel free to post.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I think HA with the conjunction of bairs is very useful in edgeguarding. Especially for Snakes. Ive been able to get a triple bair>HA which due to the snake wanting to survive rises him upward and puts you in a favorable position to recover if the HA ended up killing him. HA is very good when spaced appropiately ( you gotta get used to its stupid targeting logic) off the edge because its stalls you in the air and if the opponent is still offstage by then (which they should be) they probably have exhausted tons of their options simply due to the fact that THEY MUST RECOVER.

Hit or not its good in my personal opinion if done wisely. For example you have an opponent recovering slighty above stage height. Now if u run off ff HA cancel it tracks fairly well because they are above you. They could just outright attack you but now they are at all lower position and depending on your percentage you can come right back and retaliate leaving them with worse options, or u could even use the slow HA for that mixup. IF they get hit, they are now farther out and have to exhaust more of their recovery options (well some characters). If they airdodge Sonic is now above the opponent which for virtually every single character in the game is win for sonic due to Spring as a gimp/immaculate retreat/recovery. yeah its just 4% but it sets up for more damage or a gimp.

People need to see Homing attack as an aerial movement option as well. People want to recover, and because of that HA can allows us to edgeguard even harder without a huge fear of getting back to the stage. And im not playing noobs by the way; im playing against Dao and Susa who recently got 9th and 13th respectively at Active Gamers National Tourney. Dao knows Sonic; (i pretty sure he played you at Genesis Malcom) not saying this cuz i think amazing lol im just saying try it out a bit. In some cases it really helps in edgeguarding. I feel thats is where HA is underrated (well that and it true comboing out of SDJ), dare i say between aiding ur recovery through the B-reversal, air stalling, mixup option, and general air spacing it can give you.. HA is ****. Same goes for spring> lagless dair> edgehog.

I gotta give props to you Umby for making this thread; i feel it will definitely benefit our senior members in community as well as attract more sonics who arent as quick to think of these things alone. And we all know what happens to a Sonic that doesnt have a mix-up game. I also second Cam's notion of a KO discussion.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
"HA can allows us to edgeguard even harder without a huge fear of getting back to the stage"

I hope you mean "NOT getting back."

Unless Homing Attack is so bad that it increases our chance of killing ourselves, in which case don't use it.

P.S. if Susa doesn't get namedropped, would you please tell him Kinzer said "grats on AGs" in-person or something?

Top Bottom