• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

#UltimateDLCSoMale: The Female DLC Character Discussion

Should we have at least one female newcomer in the DLC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Perfect thread to plug this.
This was during the Smash 4 days, so some of more popular 3rd Party females like Chun-Li and Shantae haven't been added yet because this was before Cloud and Ryu opened the floodgates, but I'm shocked that some of these characters are still not in.

Since I can't directly embed from Deviantart, here's the Artist's page.

Also found this, was made slightly before Ultimate's release.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'm all for a new female character but I really hope it's not Edelgard because I find myself incapable of liking her in the least bit (that's just my Golden Deer bias). I'd rather just have M/F Byleth.

Other than that, Lyn, Urbosa, Elma, Viridi, Adeline, Dixie Kong, Team Rocket (maybe?), Susie, Impa, Midna, Shantae, Tracer, 2B, Jill valentine, Krystal, Chun Li, a LoL rep, Toadette, and 2B all come to mind when I think of best candidates for a female rep.

Also comparing the Grammys to Smash is missing the point since everyone now knows the Grammys/Oscars/whatever are just popularity contests where hollywood and other big medias just hand awards to themselves. Anyone here who has been in high school and witnessed class president elections knows exactly what I mean.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Perfect thread to plug this.
This was during the Smash 4 days, so some of more popular 3rd Party females like Chun-Li and Shantae haven't been added yet because this was before Cloud and Ryu opened the floodgates, but I'm shocked that some of these characters are still not in.

Since I can't directly embed from Deviantart, here's the Artist's page.

Also found this, was made slightly before Ultimate's release.
Wow, they somehow predicted Zelda's new look in Ultimate, then. Impressive!

But yeah these are all fun picks. I still wish Lyn got in alongside Ike back in Brawl, instead of only being an assist trophy.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm all for a new female character but I really hope it's not Edelgard because I find myself incapable of liking her in the least bit (that's just my Golden Deer bias). I'd rather just have M/F Byleth.
As someone who's played GD, BL, and BE -- it's not necessarily a bias, Edelgard is still a bit unlikable b/c of how extreme she is. I'd prefer M/F Byleth, Dimitri, or even Lorenz Hellman Gloucester Claude.

Though to keep the female reps, I'd really love a Pokemon Trainer Style combination of all 3 lords with Byleth acting as the trainer.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Though to keep the female reps, I'd really love a Pokemon Trainer Style combination of all 3 lords with Byleth acting as the trainer.
Hmm...though I wonder about all of the technical work needed to program the animations and stuff. Y'know, I speculated the same thing for Terry, with KoF's 3v3 tag team mechanic and all, but that kinda didn't happen so...

For today's discussion, I might as well link to you the reddit post I made regarding this topic. #FightersPassSoMale was the title, and this was written after the E3 reveal. If you want to quote, might as well post it here as well:

As of this writing, there are only two slots remaining on the Fighters Pass. We already have three (primarily) male fighters in the DLC, and everyone's throwing names like Doomguy, Hayabusa, Master Chief, Steve, and so on. Even though I am not angry with them being in Smash, I'm frustrated at the lack of female representation in the said DLC as well as newcomers. We only have two female newcomers (four if you treat the Inkling fighter as primarily female and also Kazooie) in Ultimate, and for me, the male-to-female newcomer ratio in Ultimate disappointed me.

I'm a feminist. I support gender equality. Most of the newcomers in the base roster and DLC are primarily male. If the Fighters Pass will be primarily male, then it would be quite disappointing. When you say "Everyone is Here!" you also want to add in several female gaming icons, and within Nintendo's reach, there is A LOT. If you're going to simply snub them all, then it would disappoint some of the fandom who wanted a gender-equal roster. I might be happy with just one, but if Nintendo's going to make the Fighters Pass completely male, then it's aware they're missing out on a lot.

Every time I see people wanting stuff like Master Chief and Doomguy, I can't help but feel sour. It's not that I don't want them in Smash, it's that I'm displeased at the gender ratio of the newcomers. When you think of adding people to Smash, think of the gender equality as well.

Give women a chance. Don't let misogyny cloud your judgement.

"Why is anyone even turning this into an issue of all things? Like seriously? They're video game characters. Feminism does not belong in smash, or anything else politically motivated for that matter.

Just enjoy the game and move on with your life."

"The fighters pass is going to be the most requested/valuable newcomers. Nintendo is not going to purposely put in female characters only to please 0.001% of the fan base for the game.

Yeah if Lara Croft or Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn were highly requested characters, Nintendo would consider them. Not to solely push an agenda."

"They’re going for the most requested/biggest impact characters. If female characters just happen to not have a lot of impact, then they won’t be in the fighters pass. Nintendo isn’t trying to be sexist or anything, there’s just no rule that says there has to be a female character if they aren’t as popular as others. If there was a super popular female character, I’m sure Nintendo and fans would love to see them in, but stopping another characters inclusion just to meet an arbitrary quota isn’t right. "

Before you all start clamoring that I was a bad person, this was before I realized that I could not get the ideal gender ratio of the DLC roster. This was before I said that only one would be fine. If anything, it's mostly reiterated comments that have already been said here.

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Females in Smash...I think Yuna from FFX and FFX-2 would be a good option to add
Knowing how stingy Square Enix is when it comes to Final Fantasy, but is lenient with Dragon Quest, I bet her chances are quite...I dunno, don't wanna crush this guy's dreams. Speaking of whcih, when they added Noctis into Tekken 7, how generous were they?

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
Knowing how stingy Square Enix is when it comes to Final Fantasy, but is lenient with Dragon Quest, I bet her chances are quite...I dunno, don't wanna crush this guy's dreams. Speaking of whcih, when they added Noctis into Tekken 7, how generous were they?
Pretty Generous with him. Four costumes, his own awesome stage, music. Pretty good honestly. Got the same amount of love as the other guest DLC

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
For today's discussion, I might as well link to you the reddit post I made regarding this topic. #FightersPassSoMale was the title, and this was written after the E3 reveal. If you want to quote, might as well post it here as well:

As of this writing, there are only two slots remaining on the Fighters Pass. We already have three (primarily) male fighters in the DLC, and everyone's throwing names like Doomguy, Hayabusa, Master Chief, Steve, and so on. Even though I am not angry with them being in Smash, I'm frustrated at the lack of female representation in the said DLC as well as newcomers. We only have two female newcomers (four if you treat the Inkling fighter as primarily female and also Kazooie) in Ultimate, and for me, the male-to-female newcomer ratio in Ultimate disappointed me.

I'm a feminist. I support gender equality. Most of the newcomers in the base roster and DLC are primarily male. If the Fighters Pass will be primarily male, then it would be quite disappointing. When you say "Everyone is Here!" you also want to add in several female gaming icons, and within Nintendo's reach, there is A LOT. If you're going to simply snub them all, then it would disappoint some of the fandom who wanted a gender-equal roster. I might be happy with just one, but if Nintendo's going to make the Fighters Pass completely male, then it's aware they're missing out on a lot.

Every time I see people wanting stuff like Master Chief and Doomguy, I can't help but feel sour. It's not that I don't want them in Smash, it's that I'm displeased at the gender ratio of the newcomers. When you think of adding people to Smash, think of the gender equality as well.

Give women a chance. Don't let misogyny cloud your judgement.

"Why is anyone even turning this into an issue of all things? Like seriously? They're video game characters. Feminism does not belong in smash, or anything else politically motivated for that matter.

Just enjoy the game and move on with your life."

"The fighters pass is going to be the most requested/valuable newcomers. Nintendo is not going to purposely put in female characters only to please 0.001% of the fan base for the game.

Yeah if Lara Croft or Aloy from Horizon Zero Dawn were highly requested characters, Nintendo would consider them. Not to solely push an agenda."

"They’re going for the most requested/biggest impact characters. If female characters just happen to not have a lot of impact, then they won’t be in the fighters pass. Nintendo isn’t trying to be sexist or anything, there’s just no rule that says there has to be a female character if they aren’t as popular as others. If there was a super popular female character, I’m sure Nintendo and fans would love to see them in, but stopping another characters inclusion just to meet an arbitrary quota isn’t right. "

Before you all start clamoring that I was a bad person, this was before I realized that I could not get the ideal gender ratio of the DLC roster. This was before I said that only one would be fine. If anything, it's mostly reiterated comments that have already been said here.
I’m not disappointed with the Fighters Pass. I love 3/4 of the inclusions and respect Terry, and I don’t mind that the first four are dudes.

But it really annoys me when some people act like Lara Croft, Jill Valentine, Akira Howard, Byleth, Amaterasu, or Chun Li wouldn’t be as worthy or iconic or hype as some male character (that would also be dope) like Doomguy. So even if 4 1/2 of the fighters pass are dudes there’s plenty of options to include female characters that wouldn’t just be for the sake of inclusion.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, but it just doesn't feel right. Smash 4 at the very least gave us Bayo, why not here?

JonSmash

Smash Ace
SNK made SNK Heroines so Why not a Super Smash Sisters ? a game with all Female video game characters ? maybe it can focuse on customising the characters moves & outfits more in depth ? like really expand on what smash 4 tryed to do ?

D

Deleted member

SNK made SNK Heroines so Why not a Super Smash Sisters ? a game with all Female video game characters ? maybe it can focuse on customising the characters moves & outfits more in depth ? like really expand on what smash 4 tryed to do ?
Eh...to put it simply, it's one of the discussions brought about by the people up here. Plus, that was a fanservice game.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Eh...to put it simply, it's one of the discussions brought about by the people up here. Plus, that was a fanservice game.
The Smash Bros. franchise is built of characters from all kinds of universes, so every installment in the series opens a window of time in which the collaboration can add to its repertoire. As much as I'm here for female representation, you'd be surprised by how dissapointed you'd feel if a main-series installment (That wasn't restricted by roster "themes") was foregone in favor of producing an all-female game during that development cycle. Or how dissapointed you'd be if said girl-exclusive game was outsourced to a third party.

The more concrete detail, however, is that SNK was dealing solely with their own characters and assets, so forming a female cast was a much smaller task thanks to some Rule 63 tomfoolery that simply wouldn't fly with certain Smash characters.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I admit that my preferences and my most wanteds aren't female characters, but I definitely think there are a good variety of options for a female newcomer. Not the same amount in comparison to male characters because I'd say the majority of iconic characters are male (I mean, most protagonists in gaming are men or some kind of mascot).
One of my top picks would be Amaterasu from Okami. I don't think she has a real chance for two reasons: the absurd amount of competition she faces with other Capcom franchises, and that Okami as a franchise is almost dead at this day. I could see her as a base roster adittion, that way maybe she could happen. But I would be really happy if Amaterasu makes it into Smash.

Also I would love Jill. As I said in other threads I can't pretend I prefer her over Leon, but at the same time it would feel a bit wrong to me to include Leon but no Jill and viceversa. The problem is, at least with fighter 5, we won't have new echo fighters. Yeah they could make like Hero and include Jill and Leon in the same slot, but to me the right way for these characters is to have their own slot, like Simon and Richter.

Then there's 2B. Nier Automata was one of my favourite games of 2017 and I loved that game. I honestly don't think 2B has great chances for a similar reason to Amaterasu, she has strong competition and we just had Hero from Square, so I don't know. I think she would be like Joker, an ideal character to open the next fighter pass. It would confuse people in a good way and she would be unexpected.

Also there's Shantae, Lara... I didn't play their games, but I would be okay with both, specially Lara. I have the feeling the actual Lara hasn't the same status as the classic Lara, but her inclusion would be a big thing, specially if Sakurai goes with an updated classic design. Chun Li is another option but I doubt we will get 3 SF characters and honestly, despite she being really iconic, I'd prefer representation for another Capcom franchise.

I hope for some female representation. I think we will definitely have at least one female character, but I feel we will get more than one. I didn't talk about first party because I don't think they have great chances but if we include first party characters, Dixie Kong and Lyn are some of my most wanted!

D

Deleted member

That's all good to hear! :love:

I'll set up a poll for this discussion. Feel free to answer!

D

Deleted member

I'm of the mindset that the fighters pass shouldn't need a female character, but there are characters I'd like who are women.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
My personal pipe dream is seeing Giana Sisters content in Smash.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Don't think I mentioned this, while gender doesn't play a huge role in who I'd want to see become a fighter most of my wanted characters are in fact female. So I can't say I'd be upset if DLC gets a female fighter that happens to be one of my most wanted.

Midna is my most wanted being a big Zelda fan and Twilight Princess being one of my favourite video games of all time.

Elma is my current number two who hails from the highly underappreciated gem that is Xenoblade Chronicles X, which I could say is my favourite Wii U title. I vastly prefer her over Rex.

Tifa Lockhart admitedly I may have wanted more than Cloud. Although I'm definitely not complaining that Cloud is in Smash, but not only do I love the character but I think she'd have an awesome moveset.

Lara Croft and Samus being in the same game is an idea that I find very much appealing and I feel like this is the only real opportunity for it to ever happen. I do have some fond memories playing Tomb Raider waaaay back in the day.

Jill Valentine was the main character of Resident Evil 3, which was the first Resident Evil game I played. So I would be happy to see her join Smash as Resident Evil is a pretty big deal in its own right and I feel Jill fits best as the series mascot.

Other female fighters I think could be awesome are Impa, Shantae, Min Min, Krystal, and Terra Branford

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Morrigan is the female fighter I want, but she has no chance.

Dixie Kong is a popular first-party who I don't support, but still kinda want her to get in. Similarly, I kinda sorta want Shantae in, even if I haven't tried her series yet.

D

Deleted member

In terms of characters I want who happen to be female, there's

• Hat Kid from A Hat in Time
  • Pyra and Mythra who'd be with Rex
  • Madeleine from Celeste
  • Dixie Kong
  • Adeleine
  • Byleth would def come with a female alt
In terms of female charactwrs I'd be down with due to their series being in Smash
  • Jill Valentine for Resident Evil
  • Lara Croft
  • Morrigan for Darkstalkers
  • Edelgard for Three Houses

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Morrigan is the female fighter I want, but she has no chance.
It's not wrong to dream. Fellow supporter here and I know she has no chance. But the very least, it's a pipe dream that's still a dream. Also, the way you said it kinda hit me right in the feels as the cheesiest Filipino love song is playing at the background.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Here's my ideal roster:
My smash ultimate dlc fighters 2.png

Technically, it includes no female fighters, but two echo fighters I'd LOVE are Coco Bandicoot and Jill Valentine.
Do those count?

D

Deleted member

Echo Fighters are already passable in my eyes. While they don't have an original moveset, they still are considered fighters, so at the very least I'll give them a pass. In other words, yes they count.

However, I hardly see Sakurai making out DLC Echoes.

Here's my ideal roster:
View attachment 240163

Technically, it includes no female fighters, but two echo fighters I'd LOVE are Coco Bandicoot and Jill Valentine.
Do those count?
But seriously though. If this is the roster we'll ever get, expect other fighting games to smirk at us and say, "Oh, Smahs won't let girls join the battle! We're letting in females to our side and yet Smash is still thinking it's male-oriented. This isn't the 80s, grow up!"

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Echo Fighters are already passable in my eyes. While they don't have an original moveset, they still are considered fighters, so at the very least I'll give them a pass. In other words, yes they count.

However, I hardly see Sakurai making out DLC Echoes.
I don't think it would be that hard. Unless Sakurai thinks like "that's too many characters".

D

Deleted member

I don't think it would be that hard. Unless Sakurai thinks like "that's too many characters".
If that's the case, then I've already made my point that I'll accept female Echoes. They'll get a pass.

I fear if this thread dies by the 5th character announcement then damn it.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Would love to see Midna get in, even if her time has sadly passed
Though she would probably be a two-in-one situation with Wolf Link, as I think that'd give her more moveset options

Amaterasu would be cool too, though would have fierce competition from other Capcom characters

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Though she would probably be a two-in-one situation with Wolf Link, as I think that'd give her more moveset options

Amaterasu would be cool too, though would have fierce competition from other Capcom characters
Midna and Wolf Link already have an amiibo together.
I would totally love them in Smash. But Impa first. She's recurring. Then we could add the one-off characters like Skull Kid, Midna, and Revali.

D

Deleted member

Yeepp...It's just like SNK wherein there are so many choices to choose from.

So far, only 10 have voted, and 90% believes that one female character is a possibility. I like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Klimax

Smash Ace
I don't want a female character for the sake of "mUh dIvErSiTy", i want good characters and what you have between your legs doesn't make a character good or bad.
But there's many good female characters that could be actually interesting, like Marina Liteyears or Bubbles, sadly people forgot about them.
So we sadly have to stick with boring picks like Jill Valentine (boring because what makes her different from the more popular Leon ? Nothing)

Or we could add Impa but naaaah, better putting another boring Link

Last edited:

Saturnight

Smash Cadet
Everyone always forgets about Sarah Kerrigan.
She's like the most important female antagonist and anti-hero in all gaming history.
edit: And Starcraft itself being also the most iconic RTS game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cloud was the seventh. Joker was the fifth. Sakurai seems to pick the most popular characters of a franchise, not the first protagonists.
As much as I support female characters, Leon is the most popular Resident Evil character, so he'd be the main choice. But Jill could easily get in as an echo or a costume.
Given how similarly the first three RE games play (as someone who's never played the series), Leon and Jill could easily be alts or echoes. If Hero was anything to go by, Sakurai's got no issue making alts when he can.

D

Deleted member

Yup, seeing them together would be the equivalent of seeing Mario, Sonic, Ryu, Pac-Man, Cloud, etc., being together. They're pretty much the equivalent of Wonder Woman for the gaming industry.
I see. If Season 2 is anything to go by then we would probably get Lara in as the Square rep or I'd toss my two cents for Sora.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
For Nintendo I could see Dixie Kong or Tetra being possible candidates. Or even Midna, but they might throw Wolf Link in with her. Since that's how she kind of worked in the actual game. MinMin could also be likely since Springman is actually an assist and I hear that him and her are the famous ones of Arms.

I feel like they should throw in some (even if one) first party fighters and not just focus on third party for this and the next fighter pass.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Why do we have to care about female fighters when we are focused in getting the best representatives for a franchise? Joker was picked because his game was the biggest in the franchise and the one who carried the narrative in his game. Cloud was picked for similar reasons except he was a Gaming icon.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Why do we have to care about female fighters when we are focused in getting the best representatives for a franchise? Joker was picked because his game was the biggest in the franchise and the one who carried the narrative in his game. Cloud was picked for similar reasons except he was a Gaming icon.
Because there are iconic female video game characters (Lara Croft, Jill Valentine) and newer popular ones like Joker that will probably one day be icons (2B) not in the game. And many come from series themselves that are iconic as well, and not yet in smash.

You don’t personally have to care, but many, myself included, do.

Last edited:

BlackInk

Smash Lord
Because there are iconic female video game characters (Lara Croft, Jill Valentine) and newer popular ones like Joker that will probably one day be icons (2B) not in the game. And many come from series themselves that are iconic as well, and not yet in smash.

You don’t personally have to care, but many, myself included, do.
I don’t really like Lara Croft as a character and I think Leon Kennedy is more worthy of being a representative of resident evil than Jill Valentine or Chris Redfield. There are some female fighters I want but I hardly consider their sex as a necessary factor for being a potential fighter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom