• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
What's all this talk about Decidueye? Someone datamine his name or something, or we having another round of "deja vu"?
In an interview, Sakurai said that Decidueye was considered for this game's Pokemon before he decided to add the best character in the game instead.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Falco and Bayonetta being like Decidueye, who is a grass based archer with completely different physiology?

The bow and arrow wouldn't be anything like Bayonetta's pistols, nor like Falco's laser pistol. The fire rate isn't even close. Decidueye also wouldn't be nearly as fast, or acrobatic in the fashion that Bayonetta and Falco are. Frankly, Decidueye would probably be a cross of a trapper/projectile zoner. As in, Spirt Shackle would trap similar to one of Corrin's moves that pin or stun. In addition, the talons that Decidueye has could work in a way that Falco wouldn't considering Falco wears shoes and doesn't have his talons out.

With Bayonetta...Decidueye doesn't have pistols, nor does he summon giant umbra arms of of nowhere. He isn't as fast as Bayonetta is either, so the combo game wouldn't be the same.

Decidueye would be nothing like either of those characters.
Fire rate is a little suspect as we don't know how fast or slow he would be able to fire.

Now for the bolded part to be honest in smash there's not much difference in a boot to a talon or a claw to a fist, they're all 'hits'

Say if the owl's DAIR was like :ultsnake: the two would function the same despite the difference in feet.

In terms of speed he's the fastest starter from gen 7 so I would assume speed would need to have some emphasis.

Otherwise good points I agree.

Yes, and you claimed Ryu would be a Mario clone because of his special moves in 64 being based off of Ryu's most iconic moves. Your point here being?
Lol when?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If your argument starts with "I don't see how X wouldn't be like [existing fighter]", you shouldn't be allowed to discuss about potential newcomers.
I don’t see how X wouldn’t be like [existing fighter], so i feel like we need to remake Little Shop Of Horrors in Smash with Piranha Plant as Audrey II.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Fire rate is a little suspect as we don't know how fast or slow he would be able to fire.

Now for the bolded part to be honest in smash there's not much difference in a boot to a talon or a claw to a fist, they're all 'hits'

Say if the owl's DAIR was like :ultsnake: the two would function the same despite the difference in feet.

In terms of speed he's the fastest starter from gen 7 so I would assume speed would need to have some emphasis.

Lol when?
Back in 2015 when he was first datamined? Don't worry, I'd prefer not to remember as I acted like a dumb **** about Ryu back then too

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
If your argument starts with "I don't see how X wouldn't be like [existing fighter]", you shouldn't be allowed to discuss about potential newcomers.
I mean, I don’t know about that. I just think if somebody posts something similar to that, they should be ready for comments telling them that that’s not quite true.

As a Decidueye fan (just like the design, stats aren’t that good) its massively underselling the character to say they aren’t unique or don’t stand out. Decidueye would have been cool in Smash. Incineroar works too though.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Back in 2015 when he was first datamined? Don't worry, I'd prefer not to remember as I acted like a dumb **** about Ryu back then too
I don't ever remember saying that.

I found that I said this regarding Ryu

'
Ridley isnt happening because sakurai said so. Tingle is an AT

Sakurai says a lot of things, but money can sway stubbornness. Ice climbers though, they actually can't happen.

Also I have to say with the unexpected amount of work that went into Ryu, I can't see why more complex character can't be included. To me in the matter of the Ice climbers it's a factor of it can't be done which is a shame for those who like that (I could care less but that's me) in the matter of Ridley and others its either a matter of Sakurai won't (which is subject to change, see The Villager) or it's coming.'

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Lol when?
I mean, functionally, a bow and arrow doesn’t have the same firing rate as a firearm. It would be frankly absurd if he could shoot as fast as Bayonetta.

Sure, he could have a down air like Snake. But to be fair, now we’re saying he could be a mix of 3 characters, which...who in the Smash roster doesn’t share things with other characters? If the minimum for being just like another character is a move that looks similar, then that seems a bit...limiting.

I mean you also have the fact that Owls use their talons to grab their prey by flying by and snatching them. So that in itself could easily be another attack that nobody else does. Ridley has a command drag, but Decidueye would likely work a little differently.

Granted, you already said you agreed so I don’t know why i’m still going. I guess I just have been reminded how cool he would have been.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I don't ever remember saying that.

I found that I said this regarding Ryu

'
Ridley isnt happening because sakurai said so. Tingle is an AT

Sakurai says a lot of things, but money can sway stubbornness. Ice climbers though, they actually can't happen.

Also I have to say with the unexpected amount of work that went into Ryu, I can't see why more complex character can't be included. To me in the matter of the Ice climbers it's a factor of it can't be done which is a shame for those who like that (I could care less but that's me) in the matter of Ridley and others its either a matter of Sakurai won't (which is subject to change, see The Villager) or it's coming.'
Dude, the post you grabbed is blatantly post-release and not back when all we knew was "He's in". Whatever

Pakky

Smash Hero
Dude, the post you grabbed is blatantly post-release and not back when all we knew was "He's in". Whatever
I did a search for myself under 'Ryu and Mario',' Ryu' ,and 'Ryu Clone Mario', nothing you mentioned came up.

Grabbed that because it was related.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I did a search for myself under 'Ryu and Mario',' Ryu' ,and 'Ryu Clone Mario', nothing you mentioned cam up.
This site's search system is ass, I can look up words and end up getting posts from 3 years ago without the word I searched for before I find say, last month's post where I know I said that. You know what, I don't even care anymore, keep saying "X is too similar to Y" again

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I really need to find something else to do and take a break from speculation, I'm getting too anxious for the next character reveal. And being too anxious will only lead to disappointment.

D

Deleted member

Or I could have never said it.
That is also possible, but that’s about it.

We can’t guarantee any option yet.

I really need to find something else to do and take a break from speculation, I'm getting too anxious for the next character reveal. And being too anxious will only lead to disappointment.
I have the opposite problem.

I am so tired of the political debates in high school without a stop alongside the bad things of the planet, that i will even take speculation to clear my mind for a moment.

Of course, without ignoring the bad stuff too much. I can’t just forget all of that forever, since i need to do something if i want to improve the planet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pakky

Smash Hero
This site's search system is ***, I can look up words and end up getting posts from 3 years ago without the word I searched for before I find say, last month's post where I know I said that. You know what, I don't even care anymore, keep saying "X is too similar to Y" again
I mean, 'okay' but you just can't accuse someone out of the blue for saying something with no evidence, lol.

The search results also go back to 2015 so, I mean. Eh?

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
So a lot of people are talking Decidueye now.
Here's the thing: when Pokken Tournament DLC started being released, people were shouting "Where's Greninja???" To which the Pokémon compay said that besides the obvious (Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, Mewtwo) they'd prefer not to have Pokémon in Both smash and Pokken, as that gave Them the oppertunity to have more variety in the game.

So when Decidueye was announced as an exclusive Pokken DX character, over Incineroar, whose fighting style was perfect for Pokken, the future was actually set in stone. The pick between Decidueye and Incineroar probably came down to one being in Smash and the other in Pokken, with Sakurai having Final say because Smash prints money.

Edit: If they remain consistent with this rule, Sceptile, Blaziken, Gardevoir and Garchomp are out of the question too (alongside some less iconic Mons)

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So, assuming Smash is now 20, what was everyone's first experience with series?

I remember Melee being played at my cousins' house, but I was pretty young then, so I don't think I played it that much

Then, fast forward to some time in either 2008 or 2009, we're at our cousins' house once again. This time, they had Brawl... Being older, and already getting hooked on gaming thanks to the Wii craze at the time (who I'll also thank my cousins for introducing me to), I picked up a controller, and picked :yoshi2:... It was a blast. So much so, that it was basically tradition that whenever we went to their house, one of the first things we did was play a couple rounds of Brawl. My family loved it so much, that we ended up buying our own copy of it, and it was likely our most played Wii game...

So, if it weren't for Brawl, I probably wouldn't be on these boards, or part of other multiple Nintendo fandoms... So I'm gonna take a second to thank Brawl for introducing me to Smash, and a ton of other amazing Nintendo franchises.
I read about Melee in a gaming mag when i was in middle school but the first one I played proper and owned was Brawl. Sonic and Snake's debut was a big deal and it holds a special place in my memories for that and the SSE.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I actually did see the Ryu and Mario comparison before. I am guessing it is due to Mario having some bootleg Shoryuken and fire balls but surely that was said ironically.

Noipoi

Howdy!

I remember Melee being played at my cousins' house, but I was pretty young then, so I don't think I played it that much

Then, fast forward to some time in either 2008 or 2009, we're at our cousins' house once again. This time, they had Brawl... Being older, and already getting hooked on gaming thanks to the Wii craze at the time (who I'll also thank my cousins for introducing me to), I picked up a controller, and picked :yoshi2:... It was a blast. So much so, that it was basically tradition that whenever we went to their house, one of the first things we did was play a couple rounds of Brawl. My family loved it so much, that we ended up buying our own copy of it, and it was likely our most played Wii game...

So, if it weren't for Brawl, I probably wouldn't be on these boards, or part of other multiple Nintendo fandoms... So I'm gonna take a second to thank Brawl for introducing me to Smash, and a ton of other amazing Nintendo franchises.
I always knew what Smash was, but I never really cared. I had a Wii but I never bothered to get Brawl.

One day, in the ancient year of 2014, by best friend showed me Smash 3DS. I had a Wii U, and he begged me to get Smash so we could play together. In the summer of 2015 I did just that.

That summer was one of the best Summer's of my life. My friend was staying with us at the time, so every day we'd just play Smash together. It was awesome.

The very first character I ever played was :ultkirby:. Because Kirby's the best.

Thanks to my friend i'm here today, so thanks buddy!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wish I knew why y’all talking about such a nonsensical conversation when y’all can talk about who’s the best reader in Smash

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I always knew what Smash was, but I never really cared. I had a Wii but I never bothered to get Brawl.

One day, in the ancient year of 2014, by best friend showed me Smash 3DS. I had a Wii U, and he begged me to get Smash so we could play together. In the summer of 2015 I did just that.

That summer was one of the best Summer's of my life. My friend was staying with us at the time, so every day we'd just play Smash together. It was awesome.

The very first character I ever played was :ultkirby:. Because Kirby's the best.

Thanks to my friend i'm here today, so thanks buddy!
That was my first Smash game, as well.
I wish I knew why y’all talking about such a nonsensical conversation when y’all can talk about who’s the best reader in Smash
It’s Pit, obviously.

D

Deleted member

I heard about Smash for the first time with a TV ad for Brawl.

My first actual contact with the series, however, was when Megaman got revealed for Smash. That basically made me the player who i am today, since Megaman made me completely interested and started a chain of events that made me buy Brawl, own a 3DS, chat on Miiverse and finally buy Smash for 3DS the day before it launched.

From that point onwards, i became the person you are talking to now.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
It's Link. People speak to him in grunts and gurgles but he still understands what to do by reading the text bar - despite the fact he can't talk himself.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, functionally, a bow and arrow doesn’t have the same firing rate as a firearm. It would be frankly absurd if he could shoot as fast as Bayonetta.

Sure, he could have a down air like Snake. But to be fair, now we’re saying he could be a mix of 3 characters, which...who in the Smash roster doesn’t share things with other characters? If the minimum for being just like another character is a move that looks similar, then that seems a bit...limiting.

I mean you also have the fact that Owls use their talons to grab their prey by flying by and snatching them. So that in itself could easily be another attack that nobody else does. Ridley has a command drag, but Decidueye would likely work a little differently.

Granted, you already said you agreed so I don’t know why i’m still going. I guess I just have been reminded how cool he would have been.
Well on the firing speed part.

'Decidueye can nock and fire an arrow at an enemy in a tenth of a second, so its battles are decided in the blink of an eye'

Pokedex shifts between meaning nothing and a lot but yeah, don't know.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I beat Rondo of Blood this afternoon. Another great game, with some tough levels but nothing truly unfair. Once again, i’m glad Richter is in. Between Rondo, SotN, and then additional games that star him, I can see why he’s in Smash alongside Simon. One is a legacy character, the other is a popular choice, and it all works for the Echo idea.
—-

My first experience with Smash was with 64. I played that game all the time. I once drew a picture of Mario, Yoshi, and Pikachu fighting on the Mario stage in my Kindergarten journal. I eventually got in trouble for putting too much Smash stuff in there. My teachers just didn’t know how awesome I was. Yikes!

Well, at that point I didn’t really have friends to play with, as I was quite young. Eventually we got rid of the N64, well, my parents did because they didn’t think my brother and I wanted it anymore after he got a PS2 and we got the GameCube. Man, Luigi’s Mansion and Melee when I was a kid...actually, that’s when my brother gave up Smash. I beat him so much that he just stopped playing. O O F.

Well, that’s beyond my first experience so i’ll stop there lol.

Litty

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7676 3996 5282
Today I found YouTube videos comparing Smash Ultimte character’s **** size... I was forced to know this now you all are as well. Suffer.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom