• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Time for me to state an unpopular smash opinion!
The smash subreddit just really isn't my jam. It's not a bad place, by any means, but almost all of it is just competitive talk, and stuff like that. I'm not in to competitive that much.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Every Fire Emblem has a "beginner's trap" character. You use Fredrick a lot and you'll find yourself woefully under-leveled :yoshi:
Okay so this is one of those topics that I can talk for ridiculous lengths about lol.

STRAP IN, EVERYONE. OPOSSUM'S GONNA TALK ABOUT JAGEN UNITS!

In all honesty, the belief that Jagen-styled units are a beginner trap is, in itself, a beginner trap. By definition, a "Jagen" unit is the prepromoted unit you get toward the beginning of the game that has base stats far exceeding the other units, but lower growth rates. Generally, story-wise, these are characters with more experience in combat than the main lord and their compatriots. A veteran. But not always. For a relatively complete list:

Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light/Mystery of the Emblem Book 1/Shadow Dragon: Jagen
Mystery of the Emblem Book 2/New Mystery of the Emblem: Arran
Genealogy of the Holy War: Oifey
Thracia 776: Dagdar
The Binding Blade: Marcus
The Blazing Blade: Also Marcus
The Sacred Stones: Seth
Path of Radiance: Titania
Radiant Dawn: Sothe
Awakening: Frederick
Fates: Gunther

That's the generally-accepted list. Of note, with the exception of Sothe and Dagdar, all of these are either paladins or great knights, horseback units. As well, Gaiden/Shadows of Valentia is the only game without a Jagen, mainly because funny enough, the Lightning Sword is the closest the game has to a Jagen, but it's a weapon and not a unit. The game does a fake-out, making players believe that Mycen will be the game's Jagen (as he fits the story role for the archetype), but the game subverts this and has Mycen be the final recruitable character.

The common misconception is that Jagen units fall off the wagon after a certain point, when oftentimes this isn't the case...not even with Jagen himself, which is where my main issue with this stance comes from. It's also why I don't agree that Oifey is worthy of being its own classification of unit archetype...mainly because Jagen himself is more vital to FE1/3b1/11 than Oifey is to FE4, so the distinction is rather meaningless. Yeah, Seth is on a level above everyone else, but Seth is one of the best units in the franchise in general, being able to literally solo FE8.

The main thing that makes the "Jagen units suck after a few chapters" line of logic fall apart is the fact that without them, 0% Growth runs would be literally impossible. And yet, the only game and difficulty in the series that hasn't been beaten on 0% Growth is Awakening's Lunatic+ mode. But because games can be hacked to give 0% growths to everyone and the game is still very much beatable, it shows that these units are not nearly as much of "noob traps" as some people believe. Frederick is absolutely vital for Awakening's early game on Hard Mode and absolutely mandatory on Lunatic (it's called Frederick Emblem for a reason). Titania is a standout unit throughout Path of Radiance. Jagen himself is incredibly useful throughout all three of the games he is playable in, but especially in FE1 and FE11. In the former, stat boosting items work very differently than in the rest of the series, so giving a few to Jagen makes his stats exponentially higher than they need to be, and in the latter, forged weapons and his high weapon rank let him deal ludicrous amounts of damage even if his strength starts to falter, making him more than capable of making it to the endgame without much babying. And "exp thieving" isn't really a thing unless you're doing an extremely specific speedrun or LTC.

So where did this belief come from?

Well, to say there was a values shift among Fire Emblem players over the years is an understatement. Early on in the fandom's life, growth rates were valued immensely while base stats were somewhat ignored. However, in more recent times, base stats have come back into vogue. I've always been a staunch believer of Bases being better than Growths.

When you have a unit with good base stats, you have a failsafe. Those base stats are a unit's only guaranteed stats, outside of literally 100% growths. With a unit that relies on growths, especially Est-styled units like Est and Nino, or trainee units like Amelia and Donnel, while their growth rates are high, they're not guaranteed. A bad level up on a unit with good base stats isn't the end of the world, as they still have their base stats to fall back on. But a bad level up on a high growth, low base stat unit? It very well could be detrimental. Add onto that that you need to feed these units extra kills instead of just taking enemies out with your stronger units, and it just makes the game harder. I'm also of the opinion that the reward doesn't match the cost either. You use a deployment slot for a unit that cannot pull their own weight yet, in the hopes that, with enough babying, they eventually will be able to, but it's a gamble...and then they'll likely not even be that much better than your other units by endgame. It's why I'm a firm believer that, from a gameplay perspective, Pent is better than Nino like, 9.8 times out of 10, to give an example. It's also why Palla is considered among the best units in every game she's playable in while Est ranks toward the bottom. The one exception I can think of is Delthea, but that's because she eliminates some of the key drawbacks that Est-styled units have: Gaiden and SoV have unlimited deployment outside of dungeons, and the chapters immediately after her recruitment are swarming with low-resistance enemies. Because of that, there isn't a reason not to use Delthea at least somewhat.

So that's basically my take on things. In other words...

Jagen.png

"Do not turn your back on me!"

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You do have to take into account public opinion in order to determine success, as it could have a detrimental effect on performance in the future. A lot of people were upset by the lack of big titles and heavy amount of Wii U ports. Not to mention the shakey quality of Star Allies, Aces, and Let's Go!.
star allies and aces are quality games the **** you on about

osby

Smash Obsessed
You do have to take into account public opinion in order to determine success, as it could have a detrimental effect on performance in the future. A lot of people were upset by the lack of big titles and heavy amount of Wii U ports. Not to mention the shakey quality of Star Allies, Aces, and Let's Go!.
"A lot of" part needs citation. Internet can be a very loud place but that doesn't mean you have to prioritize forum complaints over actual sales.

D

Deleted member

I just want a Switch port of Uprising with better multiplayer servers and controls that aren’t murder on your hands

Or won’t destroy your circle pad
On the topic of Uprising:

I...don't really like it all that much. It had potential, but was on the wrong system: The control-scheme of that game on the 3DS was horrible IMO, and that really does hurt the game for me. It's a game I want to really like, but is honestly held back by the system it's on. Just feels really clunky.
Are you telling me that the Kid Icarus fandom wants me to play a game that may be ported to Switch because the version they are trying to make me play can affect my 3DS in bad ways and controls awful?

Because that would be awful and pathetic from their part.

D

Deleted member

Time for me to state an unpopular smash opinion!
The smash subreddit just really isn't my jam. It's not a bad place, by any means, but almost all of it is just competitive talk, and stuff like that. I'm not in to competitive that much.
Time for another unpopular Smash opinion: 3D Land is better than Fountain of Dreams.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
star allies and aces are quality games the **** you on about
They're fine. But they're.... how do I put this.... Wii U games? They launched with pretty good gameplay but a darth of actual content. And while Star Allies has kind of been fixed (even if, it should have just launched with all that content, even if that meant a delay), for Aces unless you like just playing tennis matches over and over again (with the online you're PAYING for) there isn't much to actually do.

D

Deleted member

The amount of people upset at those games were honestly a pretty vocal minority on social media. When looking at the sales numbers, they all performed excellently and received content all throughout the year that only made them a better experience that took most of those complaints into account and fixed them.

It's good to keep in mind that the internet is usually not a good indication of actual public opinion. Things get echo chambered a lot, and it creates a narrative that often times is contrary to the truth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Are you telling me that the Kid Icarus fandom wants me to play a game that may be ported to Switch because the version they are trying to make me play can affect my 3DS in bad ways and controls awful?

That's not what they said...The game is going to have some flaws. Every game does. And it doesn't affect your 3DS in bad ways...

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
i mean tbh rail shooters aren't common anymore and nintendo never really had a staple

kid icarus kinda does that in that regard

kinda surprised there aren't other studios interested in rebooting old old franchises. like, retro studios kinda made its name through **** like Prime and DKCR, you'd expect other retro reboots

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
"A lot of" part needs citation. Internet can be a very loud place but that doesn't mean you have to prioritize forum complaints over actual sales.
Sales numbers tell you who bought the game, the internet tells you if they liked it or not. You can't just discount one completely.

The amount of people upset at those games were honestly a pretty vocal minority on social media. When looking at the sales numbers, they all performed excellently and received content all throughout the year that only made them a better experience that took most of those complaints into account and fixed them.

It's good to keep in mind that the internet is usually not a good indication of actual public opinion. Things get echo chambered a lot, and it creates a narrative that often times is contrary to the truth.
I repeat.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I don't know why you are acting like Kid Icarus fandom killed your dog, people just told you that it's a good game and you shouldn't judge it based on one side character's cameo.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Off the topic Pokémon, this music and this town AWAYS make me so happy and peaceful
So Nostalgic

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
i mean tbh rail shooters aren't common anymore and nintendo never really had a staple

kid icarus kinda does that in that regard

kinda surprised there aren't other studios interested in rebooting old old franchises. like, retro studios kinda made its name through **** like Prime and DKCR, you'd expect other retro reboots
I still think a revamped Ice Climber has the potential to be pretty cool.

D

Deleted member

They're fine. But they're.... how do I put this.... Wii U games? They launched with pretty good gameplay but a darth of actual content. And while Star Allies has kind of been fixed (even if, it should have just launched with all that content, even if that meant a delay), for Aces unless you like just playing tennis matches over and over again (with the online you're PAYING for) there isn't much to actually do.
Star Allies launched with a depressing amount of content, and as sad as it is, Aces launched with more content than most games of its genre.

D

Deleted member

Now I am really mad.
This whole thread is mocking me and jumping on my body just to play a game that can break my 3DS, controls bad and may even be ported to Switch because of how much it needs to be on another system... While making me look like the bad person for not wanting to!?

I’m sorry but that’s lame and pathetic from their part. I will leave this thread for a while until things hopefully get more peaceful, because right now I am being bashed for not playing a game that could break my 3DS.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because I feel very defeated with nobody listening me and raising so many middle fingers at me!
wow i wonder why everyone has ignored/insulted you after all you posted

it's a mystery to me :080:

But they're.... how do I put this.... Wii U games?
only aces fits in that as a remastered wii u game

star allies is its own thing, the only kirby game we got on wii u was rainbow curse, and its nothing like star allies

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Star Allies launched with a depressing amount of content, and as sad as it is, Aces launched with more content than most games of its genre.
Just because it's not as bad as it could be doesn't mean that it's good.

Now I am really mad.
This whole thread is mocking me and jumping on my body just to play a game that can break my 3DS, controls bad and may even be ported to Switch because of how much it needs to be on another system... While making me look like the bad person for not wanting to!?

I’m sorry but that’s lame and pathetic from their part. I will leave this thread for a while until things hopefully get more peaceful, because right now I am being bashed for not playing a game that could break my 3DS.
Dude. JD. I don't care if you play Kid Icarus or not but, you're really overreacting. Like, are people PMing you or something because I literally can't find the things you're saying people are telling you.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
This is an assumption the Direct is on the 13th. Directs have been announced two-to-one day(s) in advance in the past. There really aren't hard rules with Directs, they change things all the time.

How would doing it in March be a mistake? A Direct taking place in March has no bearing on how well the system will sell when the games that will make it sell are still coming this year. Only people who care about Directs are hardcore Nintendo fans, and they'll watch no matter when it happens.
You said "by tomorrow morning" implying that if we don't know about it by tomorrow morning it isn't happening. They COULD change it up. They could. But you made it sound like if it's happening at all we'll know tomorrow and history shows that we usually won't know till the day before which is still two days away if the Direct is on the 13th or 14th.

No, after the shares fell at the beginning of the year for not making their sales goal they need to make up for it. Nintendo Directs always make the shares go back up. Always. This isn't a matter of the fans it's a matter of their company. Why do you think they always have Directs at the beginning of the year?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sales numbers tell you who bought the game, the internet tells you if they liked it or not. You can't just discount one completely.
Yeah, but if some randos tell you a game that sold like crazy is trash because of superficial reasons, it's best to stick caring about sales.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

Bruh

Just chill

You can use the circle pad pro if you’re that concerned

I still like the game but it doesn’t mean I can’t find faults with it

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Because I feel very defeated with nobody listening me and raising so many middle fingers at me!
Honestly, not trying to be rude, but if you are just going to go around bashing everything with blind hate, and giving nonsensical answers to everything, people aren't going to listen to you. And nobody is even raising middle fingers at you.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now I am really mad.

I know you ignored me but don't be so ****ing crazy as to give yourself a victim card.

"ooo, everyone's bullying me!"

Dude, no they're not. Don't establish people countering your clear harassment of their enjoyment of a game as them attacking you, because you're taking their words and mixing them into something totally different.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but if some randos tell you a game that sold like crazy is trash because of superficial reasons, it's best to stick caring about sales.
So then, when you do the same bad thing again and people don't come back because you didn't listen, you're game won't sell and you won't have a good indication as to why.

D

Deleted member

Just because it's not as bad as it could be dosn't mean that it's good.
The reason I said it's sad is because it's still not good. Tbh, I think even Mario Kart 8 is kind of lacking in content, and they've BARELY updated it. Same with Super Mario Party, though that game still has time to get better. Smash is the only major multiplayer game for Nintendo that launched with a great amount of content.

D

Deleted member

Again, the internet has a habit of getting loud and yelly. A lot of the complaints made against Star Allies were complaints against pretty much Kirby as a series.

Taking internet opinions as a serious metric of quality is assuming every individual who played the game went online and commented their own individual thoughts on it, which is very rarely the case. A couple hundred people VS. the millions who bought and potentially loved a game isn't really an indication of anything objective.

Also, those games continued to sell even after the negative comments on forums and social media, especially in Japan. Nintendo has always cared more about what their home market is happy with than the rest of the world, so to them, Star Allies was a success, and it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
tbh everyone didnt like star allies until adeleine came back /s

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Again, the internet has a habit of getting loud and yelly. A lot of the complaints made against Star Allies were complaints against pretty much Kirby as a series.

Taking internet opinions as a serious metric of quality is assuming every individual who played the game went online and commented their own individual thoughts on it, which is very rarely the case. A couple hundred people VS. the millions who bought and potentially loved a game isn't really an indication of anything objective.

Also, those games continued to sell even after the negative comments on forums and social media, especially in Japan. Nintendo has always cared more about who their home market is happy with than the rest of the world, so to them, Star Allies was a success, and it was.
Then how are they supposed to know if people actually like the game they made or not. Sales number's don't tell you how many people hated the game 5 minutes after playing and threw it away. Or who sold it back a few days later because it didn't satisfy them. Sales numbers don't tell you how succesful you're game is. They tell you how successful you're marketing campaign was.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You said "by tomorrow morning" implying that if we don't know about it by tomorrow morning it isn't happening. They COULD change it up. They could. But you made it sound like if it's happening at all we'll know tomorrow and history shows that we usually won't know till the day before which is still two days away if the Direct is on the 13th or 14th.

No, after the shares fell at the beginning of the year for not making their sales goal they need to make up for it. Nintendo Directs always make the shares go back up. Always. This isn't a matter of the fans it's a matter of their company. Why do you think they always have Directs at the beginning of the year?
The stock falling was a short-term reaction based of off knee-jerking.

Nintendo has Pokemon and AC coming this year, along with the rumored Switch Mini. They're gonna be fine, and are far from any danger that would pressure them into anything right now.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Now I am really mad.

Your overreacting dude. No one is mocking or jumping on your body. Heck, no one even told you to play the game. They just said you should, because it's a good game. And the game isn't going to break your 3DS. If your going to randomly bash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom