• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I feel like that's the problem with a lot of long-running shounen manga.

Like, even if Bleach's story is a hot mess, I want to cut Kubo some slack because it's obvious he keeps butting heads with his editors and it's not a good environment for a creative work.
The Heart

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Really haven't found an Anime that I just LOVE. Like, Castlevania is good but I only think I love it because of the fact that it's Castlevania. Filler episodes in Anime just kill it for me so I usually stick with the 10 episode Anime's and even then I get in the thought process of this could be better if it were more confined, even at 10 episodes.
I always recommend Yu Yu Hakusho because even at 112 episodes there's hardly any filler...

Double K

Smash Lord
Fixed that for you :p.
Dude, I probably watch more than anyone on this forum and I can guarantee you it isn't. RWBY's improvement after S3 is staggering and has in general been a lot better than a good chunk of WSJ manga after their peak and Naruto never really picked up after the Pain fight

KMDP

Smash Legend
I feel like that's the problem with a lot of long-running shounen manga.

Like, even if Bleach's story is a hot mess, I want to cut Kubo some slack because it's obvious he keeps butting heads with his editors and it's not a good environment for a creative work.
The fan theory I posted also explains the sudden thematic shift between Part 1 and Part 2 of Naruto (anyone whose read it knows what I'm talking about); it could have been a result of massive disillusionment.
The Heart
Those two words bring me right back to the time when I lurked on the Arlong Park Forums several years ago.
---------------------------------------
I have a decently long list of Anime and Manga that I've watched/read over the years, the genres are pretty eclectic.

Since there's a few Ecchi series in there, I imagine the list would be a little "Bread, Egg, Milk, Squick" (to use TV Tropes parlance) for some people.

D

Deleted member

Dude, I probably watch more than anyone on this forum and I can guarantee you it isn't. RWBY's improvement after S3 is staggering and has in general been a lot better than a good chunk of WSJ manga after their peak and Naruto never really picked up after the Pain fight
I'm gonna have to disagree with you. I couldn't bring myself to support RWBY anymore after V6. At least Naruto had Part 1, the Itachi arc, and Pain arc. The only thing RWBY had going for it for me was the cool action scenes by Monty Oum. RWBY has struggled with it's story since the very beginning, and every since Monty passed, it's just been mediocre plot point after the other.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly don't mind Shippuden at all. Could be written better, easily, but I honestly enjoy anime because it has actual filler. I'd rather see characters learn and grow outside of just battle stuff. It makes for great characterization to me. Bleach didn't feel as good about this, though. It just seemed like it was long-winded instead. Naruto on the other hand made the characters lovable to me. Not so much Sasuke, though. But I'm waiting for the end of it, just to figure out more of him so I can enjoy Boruto more.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I don't understand why anime doesn't go the Attack on Titan route and just wait until more source material from the manga comes out before resuming production. And that's a MONTHLY manga to boot!!!

Shroob

Sup?
"Whoever said the numbers went from 1-10?"

Uh.. you did, by having the 10 number on you. Idiot.
I don't think I'll ever decide if that's one of the dumbest twists, or hilariously clever twists ever.

Like, it makes perfect ****ing sense if you're number 0 and you want to hide you're the best, just slap a 1 in front of it.

BUT IT'S ALSO SO DUMB AND OUT OF NOWHERE.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I don't think I'll ever decide if that's one of the dumbest twists, or hilariously clever twists ever.

Like, it makes perfect ****ing sense if you're number 0 and you want to hide you're the best, just slap a 1 in front of it.

BUT IT'S ALSO SO DUMB AND OUT OF NOWHERE.
It also begs the question: "Where's the real #10?"

The real loose ends.

Shroob

Sup?
I actually gave up on Bleach during that arc, what even happened to all the Espada. Were they like, all killed or what? I think I saw some stuff with Underboob, the character was around still?

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
It also begs the question: "Where's the real #10?"

The real loose ends.
I have 0 context due to never having watched/read Naruto, but if there's only 10 of them, then 0-9 is the same as 1-10.

Of course, I'm probably just an idiot, but that's what it looks like to me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
...I just remembered something about Naruto.

The Great Ninja War had Ninjas so incompetent that they couldn't beat a guy who was actively telling them how his powers work and how to beat him.
I actually gave up on Bleach during that arc, what even happened to all the Espada. Were they like, all killed or what? I think I saw some stuff with Underboob, the character was around still?
Harribel was kidnapped by Quincies or something and never seen again.

...Actually, she wasn't see again, she showed up in chains in a panel and that's the last we saw of her.

Orihime and Chad's mental breakdown in the Fullbringer Arc was where I almost quit Bleach, I somehow soldiered on. I have no idea why.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh god, another nostalgia for me.

I never saw FMA: Brotherhood, but I remember the OG series very fondly.

I remember it being like, 12:30 or 1am when Adult Swim was showing the episode where Hughs dies..... at that point I... legit never considered death to happen to the 'good' guys in anime, and if it did, they'd always come back like Goku.

I was...****ing shaking when Hughs died and just, stayed dead. My teenage mind couldn't comprehend it.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I have 0 context due to never having watched/read Naruto, but if there's only 10 of them, then 0-9 is the same as 1-10.

Of course, I'm probably just an idiot, but that's what it looks like to me.
We were actually talking about Bleach, but you bring up a good point.

For some reason I misremembered that there were more than 10 Espada. No, there are just 10.

Still a dumb plot twist though.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Both versions of FMA are nice, but the OG one I remember better. Might be partially due to the music. That was an amazing theme song. Ready Steady Go was done quite well.

Shroob

Sup?
Both versions of FMA are nice, but the OG one I remember better. Might be partially due to the music. That was an amazing theme song. Ready Steady Go was done quite well.
Yeeeeeeees, that OP stuck with me.

**** though, Hugh's death was my first "....wait, no, you can't kill him off! He's one of the good guys!" moments. :drsad:

Double K

Smash Lord
The only thing RWBY had going for it for me was the cool action scenes by Monty Oum.
Monty's action scenes had terrible models, awful choreography and garbage animation. After his passing, we got more info into the world, the characters have been more fleshed out, the production quality skyrocketed.

Volume 1 was literally a test bed to see if it'd get traction
Volume 2 was a season of nothing with 10 minute episodes to fill the gap
Volume 3 was a really bad tournament arc that had no depth to the characters until the Breach
Volume 4 retcons a bunch of the dumb stuff from the earlier seasons and gives everyone character arcs.

And this continues to Volume 7.

Naruto retroactively made its entire thematics and narrative garbage by focusing on making Naruto the most super special awesome ninja to ever live with the whole ninja jesus nonsense. RWBY hasn't had that happen yet and as ongoing series, we don't get th power of hindsight to say "these good story bits? They're ruined. It sucks because of this later event" like everything with Hashirama, Madara and ****ing Haguromo being related by blood to our main character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I've never actually watched (or read) Full Metal Alchemist.

Or Attack on Titan.

With AoT, don't bother trying to sell me on it, the premise just plain doesn't interest me. I might look into Full Metal Alchemist at one point though.
---------------------------------------------
Shroob Shroob , I thought of an example that sums up the 0/10 thing in Bleach.

It's like if Nappa suddenly revealed he was stronger than Vegeta.

Shroob

Sup?

Or Attack on Titan.

With AoT, don't bother trying to sell me on it, the premise just plain doesn't interest me. I might look into Full Metal Alchemist at one point though.

I know you're actually being serious, but there's an easier, and funnier way to explain it.
34-9692.png

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know you're actually being serious, but there's an easier, and funnier way to explain it.View attachment 190581
Ness: Yeah, sure.

Fun fact: if Nappa had revealed that, say, he was able to become a Super Saiyan in the Saiyan Arc... he would still be less than half as strong as Frieza's First Form (which is like 0.3% of Frieza's full power).

Just in case anyone thinks Super Saiyan is the be-all-end-all of power scaling.

Also, I'm pretty sure Masashi Kishimoto said that Madara Uchiha would have struggled to fight Nappa, though that might be a "GUYS, HE TOTALLY SAID THIS" thing.

Last edited:

Double K

Smash Lord

Or Attack on Titan.

I can sell you on never picking up Attack on Titan
More recent chapters have basically shown the audience that titans should have eaten everyone in the walls because Eren is a genocidal maniac

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
We were actually talking about Bleach, but you bring up a good point.

For some reason I misremembered that there were more than 10 Espada. No, there are just 10.

Still a dumb plot twist though.
TBH that actually sounds hilarious out of context.

The idea of somebody doing that is honestly kinda funny.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Or Attack on Titan.

I won't, I feel the same about Attack on Titan.

Though, Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the few pieces of media that I would call perfect, especially the manga, so I strongly recommend it.

D

Deleted member

I can sell you on never picking up Attack on Titan
More recent chapters have basically shown the audience that titans should have eaten everyone in the walls because Eren is a genocidal maniac
Mmm.
I’m way too young for that series, but I’ve been keeping myself updated on the plot every few months, and Eren is becoming progressively less-likeable, and much easier to be disgusted by.

He’ll get no sympathy from me.
:4myfriends:

Last edited by a moderator:

Double K

Smash Lord

iirc, Yammy was just 'the strongest,' but that equates to power

Like, it's comparing a person who can deadlift 1000 pounds, but has no idea how to fight, against the world's best kung fu fighter

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Monty's action scenes had terrible models, awful choreography and garbage animation. After his passing, we got more info into the world, the characters have been more fleshed out, the production quality skyrocketed.

Volume 1 was literally a test bed to see if it'd get traction
Volume 2 was a season of nothing with 10 minute episodes to fill the gap
Volume 3 was a really bad tournament arc that had no depth to the characters until the Breach
Volume 4 retcons a bunch of the dumb stuff from the earlier seasons and gives everyone character arcs.

And this continues to Volume 7.

Naruto retroactively made its entire thematics and narrative garbage by focusing on making Naruto the most super special awesome ninja to ever live with the whole ninja jesus nonsense. RWBY hasn't had that happen yet and as ongoing series, we don't get th power of hindsight to say "these good story bits? They're ruined. It sucks because of this later event" like everything with Hashirama, Madara and ****ing Haguromo being related by blood to our main character.
This man said Monty Oum’s action was trash. I cannot relate at all.

Like I said dude, I disagree with you entirely. RWBY has had a multitude issues with the writing, from world building issues, to episodes where literally nothing happens at all. It’s true that the production value skyrocketed, but I fell like it came at the expense of the show’s quality.

Now, shows like Naruto have their own issues absolutely, but I’d rather watch an entire filler arc of Naruto than Volume 7 of RWBY.

Shroob

Sup?
*Gets on my rocking chair*

Back in my day...

Dragon Ball GT was canon

Did I trigger anyone?

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

Yeah, it's a funny concept.

It's literally there to be a "shocking" twist but doesn't actually have any substance.

The more I think about it the more frustrated I feel.

WHY WERE YOU HIDING YOUR POWER YAMMY!?
*Gets on my rocking chair*

Back in my day...

Dragon Ball GT was canon

Did I trigger anyone?
It's just a little contradicted, it's still good, it's still good!

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
iirc, Yammy was just 'the strongest,' but that equates to power

Like, it's comparing a person who can deadlift 1000 pounds, but has no idea how to fight, against the world's best kung fu fighter
Again, 0 context here, but if executed correctly, that could be an interesting twist.

Like, you've got this group of people, numbered by strength from 0-9, right?

But, the strongest one, #0, disguises himself as number 10. Thus, people think he's the weakest one. Because of this, #0 would get tons of challengers/fights, and beat them down. This would lead people to believe that #s 1-9 are even stronger than this already strong guy, staving them off fighting the other 9 and leaving them be, when in reality, 1-9 are actually weaker than that guy, but they don't know that.

I dunno, that sounds interesting, but I dunno how it was actually handled in the real deal, since I have 0 knowledge of Bleach either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom