• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KMDP

Smash Legend
....Is Boa Hancock even relevant in One Piece still?

When I dropped off, she was just being introduced, now I'm way too far behind to catch up.
Boa Hancock became one of the most popular One Piece characters during her tenure when she was directly relevant (she was pretty fun). She hasn't been seen in several real world years but still makes Top 10 I believe.
Also I got ****ing bored of the concept just from a cursory glance since it looks like since I stopped reading they haven't added anyone new to the crew. Thriller Bark was over TEN YEARS AGO and ZERO new crew mates in that time?
Well... here's the thing...

They have added to the crew.
Jinbe officially joined the crew in the Whole Cake Island arc, but had to stay behind to stall Big Mom's forces so that the main group could escape.

Dressrosa saw Luffy establishing an entire Fleet, so technically those 5000+ people (only about 15 of which have names) are all part of the crew now).

osby

Smash Obsessed
Base roster should had been at least 50+ given the game is celebrating Jump's 50th anniversary.

Plus we would of had inevitable Jump Force and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate comparisons going on. Probably still will be but not as much.
inb4 it's going to be exactly 50 fighters with DLC.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I can’t believe the Cat in the Hat leak was fake!

That’s seriously it for the roster? Man, the developers are nothing but hacks!

Mineta did so well on the Ballot, so why is he only a stupid AT?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, a fleet's cool and all, but like, I want someone aboard the main ship, as an actual "Straw Hat", ya know? :drsad:

I've been seeing this cute(Not a furry btw) rabbit girl, but it's been like, 2 years since she was introduced and they keep using her despite being just a side character it seems.

D

Deleted member

The only way I'll ever be on board 100% of a Jump game is if Arc Systems is making it.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I mean, a fleet's cool and all, but like, I want someone aboard the main ship, as an actual "Straw Hat", ya know? :drsad:

I've been seeing this cute(Not a furry btw) rabbit girl, but it's been like, 2 years since she was introduced and they keep using her despite being just a side character it seems.
I've been burned by Vivi before, so I hope nothing.

Nope. I'm more shocked that FOTNS has only Kenshiro to be honest.
I'm more shocked how much characters some series got so many characters when most of got only one or two. Also Death Note characters being the only non-fighters is kinda weird.

The only way I'll ever be on board 100% of a Jump game is if Arc Systems is making it.
You know ArcSys made Crosstag Battle, right?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm more shocked how much characters some series got so many characters when most of got only one or two. Also Death Note characters being the only non-fighters is kinda weird.
To be fair Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball Z are Jump's Big 3 it makes sense they had the most equal.

Also I recall Light's not really a fighter IIRC.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, that kinda sticks out. It's being called Battle Stadium D.O.N 2.0 for a reason.

Shroob

Sup?
I've been burned by Vivi before, so I hope nothing.

Like, that's the thing, just from what I've been seeing, they've kept this rabbit girl around for like, close to two years now, gets a ton of screentime and.... they're just using her for comic relief really and nothing else.

Like, what's the point? If you're not going to have her join the crew, this is just a **** tease of "Oh, you wanted another main female character? Well, maaaaaaaaybe......" that's being strung along for way too long. :dr^_^:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
To be fair Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball Z are Jump's Big 3 it makes sense they had the most equal.
Yeah, but Bleach and Hunter x Hunter also got more fighters than most and all of them were major characters. Then you have Hancock and Sabo.

Also I recall Light's not really a fighter IIRC.
Oh, I know that. I just feel like there could be more characters who only shows up in the story mode, though what do I know

KMDP

Smash Legend

Carrot is pretty much part of the crew, though she hasn't specifically been labelled as one. If Oda does intend to make her an official crew member, then she's a pretty interesting concept, since we're seeing her backstory and motivation being established in real time (that's the most I'll go into, because of Spoilers).

Right now she's kind of like Vivi.

Trafalgar Law and his pirate crew are also totally part of the Straw Hat gang even if he says otherwise.

When I say Luffy established a fleet, it's more like they established themselves as the Straw Hat Grand Fleet despite Luffy's protestations, however, this technically brings really cool characters like Bartolomeo and Cavendish into the crew even if they aren't around all the time.

Don't assume they need to keep adding to the crew to keep things interesting, though. Oda has actually been splitting the party since Dressrosa so that he can give people adequate focus, adding more characters would just make this worse.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Yeah, but Bleach and Hunter x Hunter also got more fighters than most and all of them were major characters. Then you have Hancock and Sabo.
Not too sure with Sabo but Hancock according from what was said on the last page is rather relatively popular.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I know. But FighterZ was a better game. BBTAG felt like a rushed project, and I have more confidence in the team behind FighterZ to make a solid game.

The other alternative is Capcom, and considering how their last fighting game went, I'd pick Arc Systems over Capcom any day.

Shroob

Sup?

Carrot is pretty much part of the crew, though she hasn't specifically been labelled as one. If Oda does intend to make her an official crew member, then she's a pretty interesting concept, since we're seeing her backstory and motivation being established in real time (that's the most I'll go into, because of Spoilers).

Right now she's kind of like Vivi.

Trafalgar Law and his pirate crew is also totally part of the Straw Hat gang even if he says otherwise.

When I say Luffy established a fleet, it's more like they established themselves as the Straw Hat Grand Fleet despite Luffy's protestations, however, this technically brings really cool characters like Bartolomeo and Cavendish into the crew even if they aren't around all the time.

Don't assume they need to keep adding to the crew to keep things interesting, though. Oda has actually been splitting the party since Dressrosa so that he can give people adequate focus, adding more characters would just make this worse.
I know, just........ I've just been waiting for just one more female lead to join the crew since BROOK. The Straw Hats are such a sausagefest, and I've seen how fan-servicey time skip Nami and Robin are. :drsad:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've been out of the anime and manga loop for awhile, so I don't know much about how One Piece is doing.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
So Jump Force's starting roster has 40 characters plus 2 of the villains, Kane and Galena, makes a total base roster of 42.

Add the 9 DLC characters in, and you got a grand total of 51 characters for Jump Force.

As much as love DBZ and admire Naruto and One Piece, I don't think they need to take up over 40% of the base roster.

And yet people complain about Mario, Pokemon and Fire Emblem taking up too many slots in Smash.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The problem with Death Note is that Light's only a "One Hit Kill" move. He's not a regular fighter by all means. Being support is a more fitting role that's way easier to balance than a proper fighter. Like, you could still work it in, but the Shinigami would work far better as the fighter. One potential thing is using various types of character deaths turned into simple attacks. Someone was shot? He could have gun-based moves. Stuff like that. Despite starring Shinigami, Death Note is not about anything but mental battles and extremely mundane death scenarios instead of all the flashy stuff. It's the draw of the series, really.

But yeah, they could do better by giving other series more characters. I can understand series that aren't on-going to only have one instead(like Shaman King), but it always felt like a lot of fighting game rosters tend to not do a good job of distributing the characters that well. Of course bigger series will get more to an extent, but there's a lot of unrepresented series. Though hey, if some of them are at least assists, that's not all too bad. Gameplay is gameplay to me. I like how Death Note is represented in that regard(as explained above for why).

D

Deleted member

Well, Jump Force's roster is complete. The characters are:
  • Dragon Ball: Goku, Vegeta, Picoolo, Trunks, Frieza, Cell
  • One Piece: Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Boa, Ace, Blackbeard
  • Naruto: Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi, Gaara, Kaguya
  • Bleach: Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Aizen
  • Hunter X Hunter: Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Hisoka
  • Yugioh: Yugi
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Yuuske, Toguro
  • Saint Seyia: Seyia, Whoever the Green Guy in Armor is
  • Kenshin: Kenshin, Bandage Man
  • City Hunter: Ryo
  • Fist of The North Star: Kenshiro
  • Black Clover: Asta
  • My Hero Academia: Deku
  • Boruto: Boruto
  • Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Jotaro, Dio
*Insert Battle Stadium D.O.N 2 joke*
What Dr. Seuss Character leaked a roster this time? /s

For reals though, I have some grips with this here roster allow me to go in order of series and I shall skip the ones I see no problem with or don't know enough about.

DB: We all like Cell right? but we don't need two Cell Saga characters when we Don't even have Beerus who is very relevant in this day and age of Dragon ball so I would personally replace Cell or Trunks with Berrus. Both Cell and Trunks are Popular but Beerus is both Decently Popular AND Relevant.

One Piece: I get Boa is Very Popular but she hasn't really been in the Story that much since the Post-Marineford arc so why not replace her with one of the Strawhats or Yonko? Sure the Yonko could be considered OP but that's in One piece's Universe and One Piece's universe is significantly weaker than the DB one so it doesn't reallt matter. One final thing, they Should've used Sabo instead of Ace.

MHA: As others have stated, No Bakugo or All Might really? That's pretty strange and quite frankly Surprising as MHA is one of Shonen's biggest Series in recent times. At least put in All MIght I mean come on! Of course I would personally prefer Toga to be put in but y'know side character and all plus she's a Villain so even if they did put a Villain in She would have a ton of Competition.

Jojo: Nothing really wrong here I just wanna say that Dio is Hype AF. Also if you don't mind Bandai for DLC please put in more JJBA characters like Part 2 Joseph, Josuke/Kira and maybe even Giorno K thanks bye.

One final thing, Korosensei and Saitama were Snubbed I tells ya. Thanks for coming to my Ted talk goodnight everybody!

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Well, Jump Force's roster is complete. The characters are:
  • Dragon Ball: Goku, Vegeta, Picoolo, Trunks, Frieza, Cell
  • One Piece: Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Boa, Ace, Blackbeard
  • Naruto: Naruto, Sasuke, Kakashi, Gaara, Kaguya
  • Bleach: Ichigo, Rukia, Renji, Aizen
  • Hunter X Hunter: Gon, Killua, Kurapika, Hisoka
  • Yugioh: Yugi
  • Yu Yu Hakusho: Yuuske, Toguro
  • Saint Seyia: Seyia, Whoever the Green Guy in Armor is
  • Kenshin: Kenshin, Bandage Man
  • City Hunter: Ryo
  • Fist of The North Star: Kenshiro
  • Black Clover: Asta
  • My Hero Academia: Deku
  • Boruto: Boruto
  • Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Jotaro, Dio
*Insert Battle Stadium D.O.N 2 joke*
No Kaiba? That feels like a pretty glaring omission.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Saitama were Snubbed
Well in Saitama's case he really isn't a "Shonen Jump" character. He's a web comic character made into a professional manga in Weekly YOUNG Jump's online service. All of the characters presented here were from Weekly Shonen Jump, even if the IPs have since changed companies (Saint Seiya for instance)

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know, just........ I've just been waiting for just one more female lead to join the crew since BROOK. The Straw Hats are such a sausagefest, and I've seen how fan-servicey time skip Nami and Robin are. :drsad:
Well, if you hate the Straw Hat crew being a sausagefest and you left the series when Hancock was introduced, that was the brief period of time when the cast was nothing but Luffy, a large number of women and a handful of marines. :laugh:

D

Deleted member

Well in Saitama's case he really isn't a "Shonen Jump" character. He's a web comic character made into a professional manga in Weekly YOUNG Jump's online service. All of the characters presented here were from Weekly Shonen Jump, even if the IPs have since changed companies (Saint Seiya for instance)
But aren't Young Jump and Shonen Jump the same thing? I always assumed they were in the same brand just targeted towards different demographics and if the case I see no reason not to add him

KMDP

Smash Legend
But aren't Young Jump and Shonen Jump the same thing? I always assumed they were in the same brand just targeted towards different demographics and if the case I see no reason not to add him
They aren't the same thing.

They're different magazines run under the same publisher.

D

Deleted member

I think Jump crossovers would be better if they brough in guest characters, like Guts, Saber, Erin, Ryuko, and Alita.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To be fair, Saitama has a similar issue to Light. The whole point is he has OHKO moves. Like, that's a key focus of the series. Starting as a webcomic is probably part of why it works. He sounds easier to balance as an assist. There's many characters in the anime/manga who don't have this issue, like Genos, as well. And thus, works better as playable. But not having the main character would be odd, so he feels a better idea as an assist. That said, him not being a regular SJ character could be part of why, but balance is no less an issue here.

And yeah, I think Dragon Ball could be distributed a little better, but I think they all earned their spots. Honestly, I'd rather just add a 6th guy in Beerus instead of removing any of the major characters. Literally Cell's only disadvantage in that regard is having less screentime than Trunks, but he's no less a major arc villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom