• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
But aren't Young Jump and Shonen Jump the same thing? I always assumed they were in the same brand just targeted towards different demographics and if the case I see no reason not to add him
But the way it was described to me, when Shueisha talks about "Shonen Jump," they're talking about Weekly Shonen Jump, which is why you don't see Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist or Clare from Claymore for instance...

D

Deleted member

They aren't the same thing.

They're different magazines run under the same publisher.
Oh, Looks like I didn't do my research. it still would be cool to see Saitama though and I don't think anyone would disagree with me here.

Shroob

Sup?
But the way it was described to me, when Shueisha talks about "Shonen Jump," they're talking about Weekly Shonen Jump, which is why you don't see Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist or Clare from Claymore for instance...
Jesus Christ I haven't heard that name since they published physical jump in America.

D

Deleted member

Ah, Gotcha. They should branch out into other Jump magazines to be honest, it would add more Variety at least.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
There's Young Jump, Shonen Jump, Seinen Jump(I think that's still around)?

And a whole buncha other Jump.
Young Jump IS Shueisha's seinen magazine. Almost all the companies have a "Young [Jump, Magazine, Sunday, Champion, etc.]" as it's meant to be ironic. The other seinen magazines were Business Jump, Super Jump, and now Grand Jump and Ultra Jump (which is where JoJo is being serialized right now).

They also have other SHONEN magazines such as Jump SQ, Saikyo Jump, V Jump (which is where Dragon Ball Super and Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V is at) and Jump GIGA...

Shroob

Sup?
Ya'll kids don't even know my pain when it comes to JUMP.

One of my favorite JUMP series was BLACK CAT.

I ****ing loved that series, but it had an awful anime adaptation and the series eventually ended.

I then found out the creator was making a new series...

That ****ing series was To Love: Ru, and what's worse, it had Eve, my favorite character in it.

...I still read To Love Ru, but as soon as the main series ended and it started the "Darkness" continuation of the manga, it was too ****ing much for me.

I'm a goddamn degenerate and I was defeated by a manga, it was TOO degenerate for me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
why you don't see Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist
Don't kick me while I'm down.

Is Blue Exorcist any good or is it meh?
I think it's pretty good but it can be also weird with stuff like pacing.

Most of the cast seems very trope-y at first glance, but a good portion of them either subverts the expectations or grows out of it. So, if you like that sort of stuff.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh, Looks like I didn't do my research. it still would be cool to see Saitama though and I don't think anyone would disagree with me here.
One-Punch Man is published under the Weekly Shonen Jump banner in the west, presumably for simplicity reasons. This might be where the confusion comes from, and I understand it.

That being said, Shuiesha aren't going to start a whole new magazine line just for one comic, no matter how popular.

D

Deleted member

My favorite series are Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Hunter X Hunter.
I used to like Naruto, but it went to **** with the second half. Bleach even more so.

It seems like Black Clover and My Hero Academia are they hype series nowadays.

Shroob

Sup?
God, I could just rant non-stop like an old man about Jump, but I doubt anyone would want to hear it.

I have so many good, but so, SO MANY BAD memories.

osby

Smash Obsessed
One-Punch Man is published under the Weekly Shonen Jump banner in the west, presumably for simplicity reasons. This might be where the confusion comes from, and I understand it.
So like how Persona was published with Shin Megami Tensei banner in the west and now a lot of western fans refuse to accept it's not a sub-series? Gotcha.

I used to like Naruto, but it went to **** with the second half. Bleach even more so.

I know most of the old ones from their anime, tbh.

The ones I follow now mostly aren't weekly, like D.Gray-Man, Ao no Exorcist or Radiant. Except Haikyuu, but first I need to catch up to where it is.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ya'll kids don't even know my pain when it comes to JUMP.

One of my favorite JUMP series was BLACK CAT.

I ****ing loved that series, but it had an awful anime adaptation and the series eventually ended.

I then found out the creator was making a new series...

That ****ing series was To Love: Ru, and what's worse, it had Eve, my favorite character in it.

...I still read To Love Ru, but as soon as the main series ended and it started the "Darkness" continuation of the manga, it was too ****ing much for me.

I'm a goddamn degenerate and I was defeated by a manga, it was TOO degenerate for me.
My brother was really into Black Cat...

And yes, To Love: Ru is... something when it's not even published by VIZ Media under the Jump banner in the west...

I'm currently going through some of the newer entries in Shonen Jump. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Stone. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY!!! And hey, when the anime comes out in July and everyone will focus on it more, you can say you read the manga before then :yoshi:

Shroob

Sup?
My brother was really into Black Cat...

And yes, To Love: Ru is... something when it's not even published by VIZ Media under the Jump banner in the west...

I'm currently going through some of the newer entries in Shonen Jump. I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Stone. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY!!! And hey, when the anime comes out in July and everyone will focus on it more, you can say you read the manga before then :yoshi:
Honestly, OG To Love Ru isn't even 'that' bad. It's just a dumb harem series with some non-explicit fanservice.

Darkness though..... jesus christ why not make a series of hentai doujins?

KMDP

Smash Legend

I've always kind of seen One Piece and Naruto as continuations of Dragon Ball's legacy, One Piece is more like Dragon Ball (as an adventure manga) and Naruto is more like Dragon Ball Z (especially closer to the end).

My Hero Academia picks up the torch from Naruto, having similar themes, if you like early Naruto you'll probably like My Hero Academia.

Also Shroob Shroob , maybe this official One Piece art will fix your problem with the crew.

It's the Straw Hats genderbent, because there's a character that can do that. Fans keep asking Oda in the SBS what characters will look like as the opposite sex (there's a ton).

There was a fan theory around the time the character with gender-bending powers (it's not their only power, but the one they're most notorious for) showed up that Luffy would have become a girl to disguise himself to solve the problem of the arc... somehow...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
God, I could just rant non-stop like an old man about Jump, but I doubt anyone would want to hear it.

I have so many good, but so, SO MANY BAD memories.
I know, I was an avid Shonen Jump reader at the time too

(RIP Beet the Vandel Buster, Dragon Drive, Kurohime, Legendz, Reborn!, Shaman King, Strawberry 100% and Ultimo which are all out of print)

Shroob

Sup?
Naruto was my first broken heart.

I ****ING LOVED THAT SERIES, but just.... everything went so, SO wrong.

The timeskip happened, and Shippuden was just....****.

The anime had what, 300 episodes of pure filler?

Like, if ya'll kids remember that one Sprite Newgrounds flash playing THIS song:

Ya'll cool, super cool, this was and still is one of my favorite songs, period.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Naruto was my first broken heart.

I ****ING LOVED THAT SERIES, but just.... everything went so, SO wrong.

The timeskip happened, and Shippuden was just....****.

The anime had what, 300 episodes of pure filler?

Like, if ya'll kids remember that one Sprite Newgrounds flash playing THIS song:

Ya'll cool, super cool, this was and still is one of my favorite songs, period.
I 'member that flash animation.

The Great Naruto Filler Drought was a terrible idea (even if it had some pockets of quality, they never should have done it), I stopped watching the anime when it started (began reading the manga instead, a much better idea).

Shippuden was a slow decline into mediocrity. At least Naruto took longer than Bleach to go bad...

And yet I still finished both...

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Oh I know, it just.... died.

I know it wasn't the highest ranking series but goddamn I loved it.

GOD I FEEL LIKE AN OLD MAN RANTING ABOUT "BACK IN MY DAY!"

:drsad:
Hey, I'm four months older than you, AND grew up in Washington State to boot. Whatever you experienced, I have too :yoshi:

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I've always kind of seen One Piece and Naruto as continuations of Dragon Ball's legacy, One Piece is more like Dragon Ball (as an adventure manga) and Naruto is more like Dragon Ball Z (especially closer to the end).

My Hero Academia picks up the torch from Naruto, having similar themes, if you like early Naruto you'll probably like My Hero Academia.

Also Shroob Shroob , maybe this official One Piece art will fix your problem with the crew.

It's the Straw Hats genderbent, because there's a character that can do that. Fans keep asking Oda in the SBS what characters will look like as the opposite sex (there's a ton).

There was a fan theory around the time the character with gender-bending powers (it's not their only power, but the one they're most notorious for) showed up that Luffy would have become a girl to disguise himself to solve the problem of the arc... somehow...
I'm still waiting for Ivankov's return.

What about Black Clover? That worth checking out?
Kinda? It does what every shounen does but does it good. It's not special at start but apparently it gets better and world building is well-thought and consistent. Also gorgeous art.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Oh I know, it just.... died.

I know it wasn't the highest ranking series but goddamn I loved it.

GOD I FEEL LIKE AN OLD MAN RANTING ABOUT "BACK IN MY DAY!"

I imagine there's a bunch of "old" Japanese manga fans who rant about the good old days when all the series being published (except Kochikame and Dr. Slump) were Fist of the North Star clones.

If you've ever felt that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood feels super similar to Fist of the North Star, this is why.
I'm still waiting for Ivankov's return.
Ivankov shows up here and there.

He showed up pretty recently, actually, during the Reverie arc, even if it was pretty much a cameo.

Shroob

Sup?
What even happened to Naruto.

Why'd it have to go from a dumb but fun ninja adventure to.....angst, ever increasing power levels and subplots within subplots.

OG Naruto still is a fun read, but post that it's just so....

D

Deleted member

Why'd it have to go from a dumb but fun ninja adventure to.....angst, ever increasing power levels and subplots within subplots.

Still a better story than RWBY.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

"Wow, you blocked that meteor...

NOW WHAT ABOUT THE SECOND ONE?"
xQ0Dtu.gif

I will say though, animation is great.

Last edited:

Zeox

Smash Champion
Seriously though, what are everyone's choices for a Mother rep?
Ahahaha... well...
pokey-minch.jpg

Obviously I want Porky, here are some movesets that I could find in some minutes (that last one is too big, so you may need to open it in another window to read it):
1536365230642.png
porkymovesett.png

1536708130706.jpg

KMDP

Smash Legend

I think Kishimoto burned out after the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.
I've heard a fan theory that originally, Kishimoto intended to kill Neji and Choji during that arc. But he was advised not to by his editor. Of course, since he had to keep those two alive now, it meant a complete rewrite of the series was required (can't do any plots of the characters dealing with the loss of their friends if they don't die), making extra work for him.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Really haven't found an Anime that I just LOVE. Like, Castlevania is good but I only think I love it because of the fact that it's Castlevania. Filler episodes in Anime just kill it for me so I usually stick with the 10 episode Anime's and even then I get in the thought process of this could be better if it were more confined, even at 10 episodes.

Shroob

Sup?
I just feel old.

I'm gonna be one of those people who desperately tries to chase their glory years, only to realize it's impossible to reclaim time, and become old and bitter due to it.

I know it's cliche, but damn, I miss the **** I grew up on, it was just dumb fun where you didn't need to think, and nowadays, all the stuff I liked/loved is basically forgotten.

Umineko

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think Kishimoto burned out after the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.
I've heard a fan theory that originally, Kishimoto intended to kill Neji and Choji during that arc. But he was advised not to by his editor. Of course, since he had to keep those two alive now, it meant a complete rewrite of the series was required (can't do any plots of the characters dealing with the loss of their friends if they don't die), making extra work for him.
I feel like that's the problem with a lot of long-running shounen manga.

Like, even if Bleach's story is a hot mess, I want to cut Kubo some slack because it's obvious he keeps butting heads with his editors and it's not a good environment for a creative work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom