• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
I remember when I was this board's only granblueposter.

Now my title has been taken from me.

What do I even have anymore.:dr^_^:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>When you follow a bunch of DMC fan artists on Twitter and Twitter IMMEDIATELY starts recommending you yaoi.

demi dante  2.jpg

AEMehr

Mii Fighter

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Y'all really want a countdown huh? Guess I'll come back to #10.

Anyways, here's #9 BURGER KING FOOT LETTUCE

It's been a while since I've watched Haruhi, but I believe the name itself carries a lot. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a classic, and is worthy of a spot on this list.

Let's begin with the premise. Haruhi (as I will refer to the show from here on) follows Kyon, who somehow finds himself tangled up with Haruhi Suzumiya, a whackjob who's wants to hang out with aliens, time travelers, and espers, who she actually believe exist. However, it turns out that aliens, time travelers, and espers do exist, and all of them are interested in Haruhi, since apparently she's God, or a God of some sort. Long story short, Kyon becomes God's wrangler, and the show follows his attempts to keep Haruhi satisfied through various schemes and plans she comes up with.

There's a lot to be said about Haruhi. The characters are as iconic as the show itself. Kyon's neutral personality balances out Haruhi's eccentricities well, and the supporting cast of Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki each highlight the surreality of Kyon's situation. Mikuru is a sweet time traveler who can't tell him anything, Yuki is an alien robot who knows everything (and is typically the one who gets stuff done), and Itsuki is a shady-ass esper who you can't ever get a read on. The dynamic of the group, however, falters at time given how Haruhi is literally God, and everyone has to appease her or the universe might literally end, and I think the show suffers because of that. Haruhi is, at times, absolutely insufferable, and made the show difficult to watch at times. I personally like the theory that Kyon is an unreliable narrator, which would explain why Haruhi is insufferable (since it's all from Kyon's POV), but, regardless, Haruhi is insufferable and the show is difficult to watch at times because of it (hence why it's so low, I'll get to the second reason shortly).

I am including the movie The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya in my rating as well, since that's an actual arc in the source material. The movie provides much desired characterization for Kyon and really does make me believe he's an unreliable narrator, as his desperation to find Haruhi and continue his life with her is completely out of character with how he acts in the series. It does go to show how much he enjoys his crazy life despite acting the stoic. If there's one thing to admire about Haruhi it's that the characters feel human.

Haruhi is arguably THE anime that takes place in a High School, so while the trope is cliche at this point, Haruhi kinda defined the trope, so no points off. They also use the setting well, and it results in God Knows, arguably one of the best and most iconic songs in all of anime, so points gained.

I have to give special mention to the Endless Eight arc, which is just...why did they decide to do what they did with that (I'm not spoiling anything about it)? Just, watch out for the Endless Eight. You've been warned. Lots of points are lost for Endless Eight tbh. I got like 5 episodes in when I realized you only need to watch the first and last. There's a reason I had to look for that answer.

Besides losing points for the occasionally insufferable Haruhi and the Endless Eight, the reason it's so low is because, to put it simply, for one reason or another I like the other anime on this list more.

Also, this isn't related, but I'm gonna trash on the spin-off about regular Yuki. It's garbage, and any universe where Yuki Nagato can't shred on a guitar is a bad one.

Coming up: 8, 7

You can still choose 1-11 minus 4, 7, and 8 alongside the letters H and T.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Terraria status update:

Skeletron Prime and the Destroyer have both been defeated via increasingly unplanned backslides into other classes, but I have NO clue how I'm supposed to take down The Twins. I get chompy-chompy down to second phase and then he bowls me over like a minivan on a freeway.

I'm currently farming devils in the depths of hell so I can get another set of swag wings to add to my collection and I swear Solar Eclipses are happening way, way too often now that they've been activated.

I had it happen TWO DAYS IN A ROW at one point. Either 1 in 20 chances are way higher than I remembered or that's just a filthy lie.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
>When you follow a bunch of DMC fan artists on Twitter and Twitter IMMEDIATELY starts recommending you yaoi.

View attachment 221586
10% Nocturne fanart is Demi-Fiend doing some kewl edgy pose
10% Nocturne fanart is Demi-Fiend as a cute anime waifu
15% Nocturne fanart is Demi-Fiend featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series
64% Nocturne fanart is your run-of-the-mill SMT-flavored yaoi
The other 1% is unrelated crossover stuff

Damn, you scared 'em off, guys... See what nu-anime does to people? It's poison :v

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To help lighten up the mood (which I'm sure is already lightened but this took time to make), I'm going to gush about why I like The Prisoner. This was/is a part of a Top 10 anime list that I was making, and might continue if y'all are interested.

Why do I like The Prisoner? It's easy.
Rover.

View attachment 221570

Nuff said.

Being serious, The Prisoner is a brilliant anime. It was a highly enjoyable first watch, and the more I read/watch about it the more I like it. It might beat out SpongeBob SquarePants if it weren't for the nostalgia I hold for the latter if I'm speaking honestly.

To give a premise, the protagonist, an unnamed British secret agent, resigns and is kidnapped into a mysterious village with no outward signs of violence and a pervading sense of the uncanny. Out of anger, he chooses to try to interrogate his captors and escape the village. His attempts are rebuffed and he is given the name "Number 6". Along the way he parties up with no one, because nobody in the village can be trusted. His escape attempts are halted by Rover, a giant killer beach ball. The show follows Number 6's misadventures in this world, with Number 6 learning that, while life in this new world isn't as he expected, it's also incredibly bizarre and psychologically draining.

The highlight of The Prisoner is easily its characters. The chemistry between them is almost magical; R.R. Haywood puts it best in that "Our hero doesn’t know who is a baddie or goodie because asking personal questions is banned and everyone is assigned a number instead of a name. McGoohan becomes number 6 and the bulk of the series follows him and the chief honcho number 2 at loggerheads of thwarting plans and counter thwarting plans. But in each episode number 2 is played by a different person, each of whom adds a unique flavour."

None of this is mentioning how the show is a biting parody of the entire spy genre (wherein the main character does spy things) and common action tropes. The show accomplishes this in such a subtle way that I didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me, but that just makes the show even better to me.

Also, I'd like to give The Prisoner props for my favorite anime opening animation ever. Typically openings are just opportunities to put cool scenes/foreshadowing to catchy jazz songs, but the second opening of The Prisoner manages to condense an entire story in the opening. Take a watch for yourself:
I realize this joke doesn't really work because The Prisoner only had one season but I've put too much work into this post to give it up now

The series of events of whatshisname resigning and getting poisoned is so well established that it can be conveyed in 180 seconds. If that's not impressive I don't know what is.

Let me know if you want to see this continued. I've got the list made, I just need to type up justifications and such.
I'm actually kinda offended by this.

Not cool dude.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's been a while since I've watched Haruhi, but I believe the name itself carries a lot. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a classic, and is worthy of a spot on this list.

Let's begin with the premise. Haruhi (as I will refer to the show from here on) follows Kyon, who somehow finds himself tangled up with Haruhi Suzumiya, a whackjob who's wants to hang out with aliens, time travelers, and espers, who she actually believe exist. However, it turns out that aliens, time travelers, and espers do exist, and all of them are interested in Haruhi, since apparently she's God, or a God of some sort. Long story short, Kyon becomes God's wrangler, and the show follows his attempts to keep Haruhi satisfied through various schemes and plans she comes up with.

There's a lot to be said about Haruhi. The characters are as iconic as the show itself. Kyon's neutral personality balances out Haruhi's eccentricities well, and the supporting cast of Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki each highlight the surreality of Kyon's situation. Mikuru is a sweet time traveler who can't tell him anything, Yuki is an alien robot who knows everything (and is typically the one who gets stuff done), and Itsuki is a shady-*** esper who you can't ever get a read on. The dynamic of the group, however, falters at time given how Haruhi is literally God, and everyone has to appease her or the universe might literally end, and I think the show suffers because of that. Haruhi is, at times, absolutely insufferable, and made the show difficult to watch at times. I personally like the theory that Kyon is an unreliable narrator, which would explain why Haruhi is insufferable (since it's all from Kyon's POV), but, regardless, Haruhi is insufferable and the show is difficult to watch at times because of it (hence why it's so low, I'll get to the second reason shortly).

I am including the movie The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya in my rating as well, since that's an actual arc in the source material. The movie provides much desired characterization for Kyon and really does make me believe he's an unreliable narrator, as his desperation to find Haruhi and continue his life with her is completely out of character with how he acts in the series. It does go to show how much he enjoys his crazy life despite acting the stoic. If there's one thing to admire about Haruhi it's that the characters feel human.

Haruhi is arguably THE anime that takes place in a High School, so while the trope is cliche at this point, Haruhi kinda defined the trope, so no points off. They also use the setting well, and it results in God Knows, arguably one of the best and most iconic songs in all of anime, so points gained.

I have to give special mention to the Endless Eight arc, which is just...why did they decide to do what they did with that (I'm not spoiling anything about it)? Just, watch out for the Endless Eight. You've been warned. Lots of points are lost for Endless Eight tbh. I got like 5 episodes in when I realized you only need to watch the first and last. There's a reason I had to look for that answer.

Besides losing points for the occasionally insufferable Haruhi and the Endless Eight, the reason it's so low is because, to put it simply, for one reason or another I like the other anime on this list more.

Also, this isn't related, but I'm gonna trash on the spin-off about regular Yuki. It's garbage, and any universe where Yuki Nagato can't shred on a guitar is a bad one.

Don't make me do it cause I will do the exact same thing you're doing. I've been wanting to talk about a few shows of mine for awhile yet I was always hesitant.

I will do it, Don't make me do it. Also I've heard good things about the Anime you're talking about it seems pretty neat.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
15% Nocturne fanart is Demi-Fiend featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series
74% Nocturne fanart is your run-of-the-mill SMT-flavored yaoi
I just want Nocturne art that isn't oversaturated in red. And has proportional figures. Please just gimme some normal art for once internet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I may had too much fun with me Kazumaposting earlier.

My apologize if it bothered some of you, it's just that having sooooooo many reaction images on your hand in a short time can be overwhelming tempting to use, ya know?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

There's a lot to be said about Haruhi. The characters are as iconic as the show itself. Kyon's neutral personality balances out Haruhi's eccentricities well, and the supporting cast of Mikuru, Yuki, and Itsuki each highlight the surreality of Kyon's situation. Mikuru is a sweet time traveler who can't tell him anything, Yuki is an alien robot who knows everything (and is typically the one who gets stuff done), and Itsuki is a shady-*** esper who you can't ever get a read on. The dynamic of the group, however, falters at time given how Haruhi is literally God, and everyone has to appease her or the universe might literally end, and I think the show suffers because of that. Haruhi is, at times, absolutely insufferable, and made the show difficult to watch at times. I personally like the theory that Kyon is an unreliable narrator, which would explain why Haruhi is insufferable (since it's all from Kyon's POV), but, regardless, Haruhi is insufferable and the show is difficult to watch at times because of it (hence why it's so low, I'll get to the second reason shortly).

Cool choice

Also believe me when I say that watching endless eight when it was airing live is worse than you might think. Imagine waiting a week only for "you know what" to happen.

Last edited:

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Terraria status update:

Skeletron Prime and the Destroyer have both been defeated via increasingly unplanned backslides into other classes, but I have NO clue how I'm supposed to take down The Twins. I get chompy-chompy down to second phase and then he bowls me over like a minivan on a freeway.

I'm currently farming devils in the depths of hell so I can get another set of swag wings to add to my collection and I swear Solar Eclipses are happening way, way too often now that they've been activated.

I had it happen TWO DAYS IN A ROW at one point. Either 1 in 20 chances are way higher than I remembered or that's just a filthy lie.
It's apparently been four years since I bopped them so I remember next to nothing.

What's your current loadout and strat look like though?

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I just want Nocturne art that isn't oversaturated in red. And has proportional figures. Please just gimme some normal art for once internet.
Says Idon, as he attempts suicide which would defeat the purpose of gaining said-fanart. Unless it's all according to isekaiku (translator's note: means "another world plan").

Also, I get that normal art is where it's at, but what's wrong with town art, fierce art, and map art?

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Cool choice

Also believe me when I say that watching endless eight when it was airing live is worse than you might think. Imagine waiting a week only for "you know what" to happen.
Dear God.

I never thought about that. I'm...

I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
10% Nocturne fanart is Demi-Fiend as a cute anime waifu
64% Nocturne fanart is your run-of-the-mill SMT-flavored yaoi
60% Yoshi fanart is him doing something cute
39% Yoshi fanart is vore/fat related
1% Yoshi fanart is......... well, I think you get the idea :yoshi:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Dear God.

I never thought about that. I'm...

I'm sorry you had to go through that.
It's cool
Looking back it was kinda funny to see everyone lose their damn mind as every week passes. At least it made the climax all the more sweeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom