• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

So is the google leak now officially deconfirmed? (last thing I know is the WabiSabi stuff)

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1128840568929316864
A lot of people have made their megaposts on the subject. For all intents and purposes, it's not something we should be humoring for as long as it has.

short answer: it ain't real

long answer: google adsense allows you to put ads on multiple words/phrases contained within speech marks, so it's a single google ad linked to joker's SmashBros/FightersPass.com URL that responds to the following key phrases:
  • "smash bros ultimate <character name>"
  • "super smash bros ultimate <character name>"
coincidentally, it being linked to the same URL as joker is what allows language differences/the nintendo UK star rating to appear - it's pulling the exact same metadata from joker's ad because it's linking to the exact same FightersPass page (itself a redirect).

if it was real like joker's ad, however, you'd be able to find the ads in any order of "super", "smash", "bros", "ultimate", and the character names, whereas the fake ads only respond to those exact phrases. it's much cheaper to run an ad with long, obscure phrases than it is to try and steal the keywords nintendo themselves are using.
I dont think it's that good good of a roster myself XD
And I mentioned this a few times but I do think it's possible for a boss to be in instead of a fully custom character. But all I mean is that even if it doesn't seem overly likely, it's not impossible.

Ok, I said I wouldn't entertain the theory more, but I can feel a bit of discomfort around it at least for a few people, so i'll say a bit more. I already mentioned that it's essentially busted since other words can bring up the ad, but there's also just business sense that makes it hard to be a thing. The only thing that would bust the theory even more is when they find more characters that bring it up too.

I'll go a bit more in detail about the business stuff ..

Marketing & Compartmentalization: Everyone should know that when you want to keep something hidden you dont spread it to other departments unless it's time or there's a reason to. Now here we're talking about a department in europe. There's absolutely no reason to ..not just to spread the info on dlc characters way off in the future to NoE, but to have those names for the marketing department there, would be kinda bonkers. And you dont waste resources on marketing with what you dont have yet.

Search Algorithms & Advertisement: If you know even a little about search engines and how google adapts and uses search campaigns, then you should know that it can be complicated. All of these people that think the searches mean something probably dont know much and just assume that nintendo would have put those words in to make the ad come up for them. You can put keywords for people to get ads, but it's not necessary for other words to bring it up either.
I definitely dont know everything about google ads, but I thought this is basic enough that people could understand it.

Now. About the keywords potentially being pulled like was mentioned recently. The thing with google ads is that it costs a lot per click. If you aren't getting the right fanbase and people are clicking the ad, that can waste a lot of money because of how google charges for them. People get problems around that if they dont use the options correctly, like 'exact' keywords and putting in negative keywords to stop getting hits from other terms, and more. (here's a post talking around this for ad research a bit)

So what makes more sense, that specifically NoE added those characters as keywords, or that they didn't use their research campaign the same way and are now learning to use those features to narrow the ads? (could also just simply be something connected to the algorithm)

I know it's not always obvious when caught up in the flow of people thinking this or that, but I think common good sense is worth something too ;p

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

What scary *** cut of Iron Giant did you watch?!
more like the general vibe of this robot mfs design rather than the iron giant himself because my mans was a nice dude

D

Deleted member

The combination of what I named him and the trainer class Randomizer may of may not have resulted in the textbox saying "Tamer Furry wants to battle"
That just makes me wanna root for him even more tho

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
the grinch leak was the result of someone with too much time, and the google leak was the result of someone with too much money

now what happens if we get someone with too much time and money?
In fairness the grinch hoax definitely cost a good penny to do as well. No way was that cheap.

I think the google leak has been dealt a blow? From day one I suspected it was someone from papagenos discord server that spent the time and money on this. The fact that it originates from there out of nowhere is quite telling to me. What was the incentive to search for that quite specifically as it is written?

Not to mention dropping all characters at once does not seem to be something they would do. I could see it if it were two characters maybe. That's believable with E3 in 28 days.

D

Deleted member

the grinch leak was the result of someone with too much time, and the google leak was the result of someone with too much money

That's just Sakurai at that point.

D

Deleted member

I'm loving all the shared elements the four primary styles have. So many new designs and assets.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm loving all the shared elements the four primary styles have. So many new designs and assets.
After the Angry Sun, say hello to his cousin, the Dissapointed Sun.

He isn't mad at you, he just thought you could do better than this.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
The fact that they got Mega Man: The Wily Wars on there makes me so happy!

That game is so hard to get a hold of, nowadays.
Would you look at that, Wily Wars isn't doomed to Scott Pilgrim-Download-Only-Game hell.
Hey, it has both Bloodlines and The Wily Wars! That's more than enough to make me happy! ;)
Now all they gotta do (for me at least) is get Sonic 3 & Knuckles and at least one Mortal Kombat.

Teeb147

Smash Legend

Technically, if you're right about it being faked and it's with the exact keywords, then it wouldn't end up costing much money because google ads charges per click, and not that many would click it ;)

Also, depending on the budget, maybe it could explain why it showed up less often after a while. (just an idea tho)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom