• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Anywho, I had put my Fire Emblem character discussion series on hold for a bit since the mood of the thread had been pretty dour. However, since it's improved now, I'll be posting the second one soon.
Do it while you can, I can only keep the mask on for so long

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
#43 Clair: Highborn, High-Flying, Valiant, and Verbose

image.png
Name: Clair
Class: Pegasus Knight
Appears in: Fire Emblem Gaiden, Fire Emblem Awakening (Spotpass), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Fire Emblem Heroes

At number forty-three, we have Clair, a pegasus-riding noblewoman from Zofia, and the younger sister of Sir Clive. She joins Alm and his party after he retakes Zofia's southern outpost, wherein Clair was held captive by Desaix's men after their coup d'état.

Clair, being born to nobility, carries herself with an air of refinement and dignity. As a result of her standing in high society, she's fairly ignorant of the day to day lives of commoners, which often leads to some faux pas on her part. Her first appearance has her unintentionally insulting Alm by expressing her confusion as to why he wasn't covered in cow manure, seeing as he was from a farming village. Clair also uses lofty and formal language befitting her station, even when other members of the nobility tone it down a bit. She's prideful, and can be stubborn, but she has a good heart deep down.

Clair's admiration toward her brother, Clive, is another key aspect of her character. In her chapter of the Rise of the Deliverance DLC, she and Mathilda enter some ancient ruins to recover a magical ring. Upon escaping the ruins and outrunning the terrors within, the ring disintegrates upon hitting the open air. Almost in tears, Clair reveals that the ring was able to negate all magical damage done to its wearer, and that she intended to give it to Clive (a callback to Clive's nonexistent Resistance stat). Clive being her role model growing up was also what inspired her to join the Deliverance in the first place.

She also has feelings for Alm for a good amount of the game, and eventually realizes that they'd be incompatible due to Alm's feelings for Celica. Eventually, however, Gray's kindness wins her over, and in their epilogue, they wed, living a happy life together as members of the One Kingdom's Knights.

As a gameplay unit, Clair quite unfortunately bucks the trend of the early game Pegasus Knight being a top tier unit. The likes of Caeda, Catria, Palla, Shanna, Florina, Sumia, and much of their ilk boast numerous benefits, especially in regards to their sheer mobility and speed. Clair's biggest issue, however, is that terrain isn't nearly as big of a deal as it is in other games, or even on Celica's route within Shadows of Valentia, essentially making her a cavalier with less bulk for a good amount of the early game on Alm's route. While Celica's route has desert and swamp maps, which make Palla and Catria virtually essential for ease of completion, Alm's Forest and Fortress maps don't really offer many benefits for flying units. But at the same time, due to deployment outside of dungeons being free until Act 6, there's nothing to lose by fielding Clair either. She just won't be doing as much compared to other units.

All in all, I think Clair's pretty great. She has a wonderful design (which Heroes sadly kinda botched IMO) and has a fun personality. Even if she's lacking as a combat unit, as a character, she stands out from the crowd.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I don’t know why, but sense DQ is really only popular in Japan, and FF is popular worldwide, I think FF is probably more expensive.
Oh no, you can just tell Nintendo's cheap. Pit and Viridi's Uprising actors didn't get credit for their work on Smash, Palutena and Magnus's voice actors got replaced for cheaper, non union actors, Reuben Langdon isn't credited iirc and neither is Matthew Mercer, who Capcom replaced as the Leon Kennedy actor because of his union. It's absolutely Nintendo not wanting to pay Nomura or Uematsu royalties for Spirits or songs

EDIT: It's also why Cloud doesn't speak English, Steve Burton's union and contract secured that nobody else is allowed to voice Cloud

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh no, you can just tell Nintendo's cheap. Pit and Viridi's Uprising actors didn't get credit for their work on Smash, Palutena and Magnus's voice actors got replaced for cheaper, non union actors, Reuben Langdon isn't credited iirc and neither is Matthew Mercer, who Capcom replaced as the Leon Kennedy actor because of his union. It's absolutely Nintendo not wanting to pay Nomura or Uematsu royalties for Spirits or songs
Fairly certain Matt Mercer is credited though.

D

Deleted member

Me too! Why does that happen?
No idea why, I never thought it was something anyone other than me experienced either.

Appears in: Fire Emblem Gaiden, Fire Emblem Awakening (Spotpass), Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, Fire Emblem Heroes

At number forty-three, we have Clair, a pegasus-riding noblewoman from Zofia, and the younger sister of Sir Clive. She joins Alm and his party after he retakes Zofia's southern outpost, wherein Clair was held captive by Desaix's men after their coup d'état.

Clair, being born to nobility, carries herself with an air of refinement and dignity. As a result of her standing in high society, she's fairly ignorant of the day to day lives of commoners, which often leads to some faux pas on her part. Her first appearance has her unintentionally insulting Alm by expressing her confusion as to why he wasn't covered in cow manure, seeing as he was from a farming village. Clair also uses lofty and formal language befitting her station, even when other members of the nobility tone it down a bit. She's prideful, and can be stubborn, but she has a good heart deep down.

Clair's admiration toward her brother, Clive, is another key aspect of her character. In her chapter of the Rise of the Deliverance DLC, she and Mathilda enter some ancient ruins to recover a magical ring. Upon escaping the ruins and outrunning the terrors within, the ring disintegrates upon hitting the open air. Almost in tears, Clair reveals that the ring was able to negate all magical damage done to its wearer, and that she intended to give it to Clive (a callback to Clive's nonexistent Resistance stat). Clive being her role model growing up was also what inspired her to join the Deliverance in the first place.

She also has feelings for Alm for a good amount of the game, and eventually realizes that they'd be incompatible due to Alm's feelings for Celica. Eventually, however, Gray's kindness wins her over, and in their epilogue, they wed, living a happy life together as members of the One Kingdom's Knights.

As a gameplay unit, Clair quite unfortunately bucks the trend of the early game Pegasus Knight being a top tier unit. The likes of Caeda, Catria, Palla, Shanna, Florina, Sumia, and much of their ilk boast numerous benefits, especially in regards to their sheer mobility and speed. Clair's biggest issue, however, is that terrain isn't nearly as big of a deal as it is in other games, or even on Celica's route within Shadows of Valentia, essentially making her a cavalier with less bulk for a good amount of the early game on Alm's route. While Celica's route has desert and swamp maps, which make Palla and Catria virtually essential for ease of completion, Alm's Forest and Fortress maps don't really offer many benefits for flying units. But at the same time, due to deployment outside of dungeons being free until Act 6, there's nothing to lose by fielding Clair either. She just won't be doing as much compared to other units.

All in all, I think Clair's pretty great. She has a wonderful design (which Heroes sadly kinda botched IMO) and has a fun personality. Even if she's lacking as a combat unit, as a character, she stands out from the crowd.
Heroes butchering designs seems a common occurence, huh.
*Cries in Joshua*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
No idea why, I never thought it was something anyone other than me experienced either.

Heroes butchering designs seems a common occurence, huh.
*Cries in Joshua*
I can confirm it happens to me too. Sometimes I submit a post and bam, white screen.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

My favorite character in Alm's route, hands down. The voice acting for her was superb.

IMO, Clair is just a better attempt at Maribelle for a modern FE take on the prissy nobility character.

D

Deleted member

You know, I have a question for all of you. Obviously the Google leaks legitimacy is questionable at best, but how would you rate your opinion of each character in the leak if they were chosen for Smash?
Banjo meh
Ryu dope as hell
Doomguy ok, just ok
Artorias, ambivalent
Overall with Joker pack gets a 6.5/10
The Chad Fighter's Pass

- Andy
- Clone Andy (yes, this is an actual character)
- Andy's long lost brother Randy
- Andy's long lost sister Mandy
- Hetler from Super Famicom Wars (yes, this game had a parody of Hitler in it)

Joker is then removed from the Fighter's Pass and reworked as a Hetler Echo Fighter.

Thank you very much.
2/10 no Randy Bobandy

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My favorite character in Alm's route, hands down. The voice acting for her was superb.

IMO, Clair is just a better attempt at Maribelle for a modern FE take on the prissy nobility character.
Honestly I love Clair and Maribelle, but for different reasons. Though I'll have to wait til a later date to share my thoughts in full. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom