• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Oh, and on the topic of the leak I was reading a bit of info about it on /v/, apparently there is someone on the discord who is trying to convince people its real:
>"One thing worth noting, that the "Lou" person t hat first brought it up in the Genos server, did so as their first message in the channel merely 10 minutes after joining the Discord."
>same suspicious discord dude trying to convince people's it's real
One of the odd nice things I actually miss about GameFAQs from my time being there is that for all their negativity, they're impressively thorough at dissecting things. If a leak has any cracks in it, regardless of what any other community thinks of it they'll keep cracking away until every possible flaw and counterargument is laid bare.

I mean they pull some false negatives too, but hilariously enough usually when they're going overboard FotoForensics is involved somehow LOL

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Nope. Each game's pretty separate from one another, and iirc, 2's the 'bad' one, with 1 being the one with the bajillion re-releases.
I agree with this, especially DLCs, especially the one in the snow, especially near the end, especially that part with fog and horses. That part was trash, for me at least.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Does Dark Souls have reoccuring characters?

Do these characters appear in 2 and 3?
No, but some character do cleary influence others character from other games.

In Artorias case, a entire group of peoples, The Abyss Watcher, are inspired by his action & fighting style, which show how really popular Artorias is in and out of universe.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm not sure "he has zero personality" is really a reason for them to skip over the Dark Souls MC.

Smash is great at taking characters with "no personality" and adding more character/charm them.
See: :ulticeclimbers: :ultgnw::ultpiranha::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:(and I believe:ultness: to right? I'm not an Earthbound guy. Although I did hear he got some characterization in a little known sequel called Underta-*shot*)

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not sure "he has zero personality" is really a reason for them to skip over the Dark Souls MC.

Smash is great at taking characters with "no personality" and adding more character/charm them.
See: :ulticeclimbers: :ultgnw::ultpiranha::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:(and I believe:ultness: to right? I'm not an Earthbound guy. Although I did hear he got some characterization in a little known sequel called Underta-*shot*)
I think it's due to them not really having a canon design, unlike pretty much every avatar character we have in the game.

They're just people.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
The bosses/villains of Dark Souls tend to have a bit more player impact than the main character. If you look at the box art for Dark Souls III

You could easily mistake this guy as your main protagonist (I don't blame them with the way it looks like he's giving a thumbs up from time to time lol), but he's actually...
The Final Boss for the series - the Soul of Cinder - yes I've cheated myself and spoiled parts of the game I'm a horrible procrastinator - I was not prepared to die in DS3.

While The Chosen Undead/Curse Bearer/Ashen One could easily have a more diverse moveset if they draw upon a lot of Dark Souls' combat - magic, parries, the Estrus Flasks as a healing tool, weapon stances or other weapons available to them, Artorias could easily stand out as a heavyweight swordfighter with a bit of an animalistic fighting style, but is still able to do most of what the player can do.

There's merit to either choice if they wanted a Dark Souls character. Most of what applies to the Chosen Undead could also go with Solaire, who easily charmed his way to the hearts of the Dark Souls fandom with his personality and his iconic "Praise the Sun."

And now it's time for me to go now. My homework/assignments need me. *shuffles off screen and dies on the way to his home planet and lose all my souls.*

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

Well, to be honest...
the Dragonslayer is kinda reoccurring... probably the only one.
As I said I'm not a lore expert, I played the games some years ago and I can't remember everything of them, but I remember that there is a "Dragonslayer" in DS2 too (probably not the same person), and you go into his palace in Anor Londo in DS3 along with fight his armor (probably empty) in a different place.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord

Artorias is referenced in Dark Souls 3, although I’m not sure if it was by name. Also some other characters (or their “souls”) make appearances.

Is he “important”? He does have a plot line in Dark Souls 1 and it’s DLC (which was originally intended to be part of the base game) but he doesn’t have much to do with what the player is trying to accomplish in the main story. Granted, neither does Solaire.

If they did a Dark Souls character, he’d be a weird pick.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
soulsborne smash music time?

soulsborne smash music time

i'll go with 11 because that seems to be the average number for third parties like bayo/joker

Dark Souls
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls 3
Bloodborne (hey if P4/5 music can make it)

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still incredibly skeptical since the guy appeared from nowhere.

And here's the thing.

He finds this HUGE leak that reveals the last 4 characters.

And what does he do?

He doesn't go to Gamefaqs

Or Reddit

Or even 4chan

He goes to the Discord of a well known Smashtuber who's covered leaks in the past.

And only he knows the correct way to see the ads.

If he had been a member of Papa's Discord before, it'd be one thing, but he joined literally 10 minutes before he posted this.

If you were some rando and just stumbled upon this, why would you single out a specific Youtuber to get in contact with and not, you know, Reddit/4chan for your instant fame?
Again though, this just smells rotten to me.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think it's due to them not really having a canon design, unlike pretty much every avatar character we have in the game.

They're just people.
I mean, I just looked up the wiki and I got this.
The bosses/villains of Dark Souls tend to have a bit more player impact than the main character.
I mean, that's true for a lot of games, some of which already with MCs in Smash. Does Villager really leave more of a player impact then Tom Nook or K.K. Slider? Was Robin more popular then Chrom?

Although we have do have Ratholos in the game over Monster Hunter...as a non-playable boss fight. Hm.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I mean, I just looked up the wiki and I got this.

I mean, that's true for a lot of games, some of which already with MCs in Smash. Does Villager really leave more of a player impact then Tom Nook or K.K. Slider? Was Robin more popular then Chrom?

Although we have do have Ratholos in the game over Monster Hunter...as a non-playable boss fight. Hm.
I mean, both reasons were due to Sakurai first and foremost.

Do remember that Chrom was originally planned to be in Smash 4, but then scrapped due to being too similar to Marth.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
also reminder that if the ads are fake, then the guy's also running up cost-per-click charges

1557657988332.png

so make sure to click that ad again and again to rack up his bill at the end of the week

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
another possible reason it's fake: it only responds to the exact search term "artorias smash bros ultimate" and "artorias super smash bros ultimate", whereas joker works with any combination of "joker", "smash", "bros", "super", and "ultimate"

it's significantly cheaper to run an ad on a specific, uncommon term (like the long artorias one) than it is to try and muscle in on nintendo's space by taking parts of terms they're already using

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Really, it's just the price that makes this insane.

The person who made this must literally be made of money.
Almost as if the guy behind it bought thousands of Rosalina amiibo out of spite.

All I'm saying is if it looks, sounds, and smells like MTP, it's probably MTP.

Shroob

Sup?
Almost as if the guy behind it bought thousands of Rosalina amiibo out of spite.

All I'm saying is if it looks, sounds, and smells like MTP, it's probably MTP.
But is MtP intelligent enough to get the ad in like, what, 10 different languages, with no obvious machine translations?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Really, it's just the price that makes this insane.

The person who made this must literally be made of money.
If this really is a hoax, they're like the whale of the "leaker" community.

Except rather then spending ludicrous amounts of money on a worthless png of their waifu, it's to convince people that their favorite Dark Souls boss is in.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
-Dragonslayer Ornstein (with Executioner Smoug)
-Old Dragonslayer
-Dragonslayer Armor
This is the closest thing to a recurring character in Dark Souls. It's implied to be the same person in Dark Souls 1 and Dark Souls 3, while apparently it's unknown if it's the same person in Dark Souls 2, though all the instances of Dragonslayer have the same look, except for the weapon used and the armor that is golden in DS1, silver/metal in DS2 and rusted/ruined in DS3.

He's related to the location of Anor Londo, that I think is the best location for a stage in Smash (Dragonslayer and Executioner Smoug can be stage hazards).
Anor Londo has the iconic rotating bridge that would be a nice gameplay gimmick for the stage.

Then there are other less important characters that you meet, such as Havel, who is a strong enemy, that has an iconic superheavy armor and weapon, and if I remember well appears in all 3 Dark Souls games (or just 2 of them, can't remember)... though I think it's a less important character and he's not even considered a boss.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
But is MtP intelligent enough to get the ad in like, what, 10 different languages?
You do realise he's secretly a super genius, right?

All I'm saying is the plumber calculated how many of his 200 languages he should order the Ad in to not raise suspicion

Shroob

Sup?
If this really is a hoax, they're like the whale of the "leaker" community.

Except rather then spending ludicrous amounts of money on a worthless png of their waifu, it's to convince people that their favorite Dark Souls boss is in.
I'LL HAVE YOU KNOW IT WAS MONEY WELL SPENT TYVM

*inhales*

I'm calm...I'm calm...happy thoughts....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But is MtP intelligent enough to get the ad in like, what, 10 different languages, with no obvious machine translations?
I mean, the dude was more than likely behind the Grinch hoax, which managed to fool a lot of people. Wouldn't doubt that he's some kind of sociopathic savant.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Again though, this just smells rotten to me.
It's not even just that, it's like

It's PapaGenos. His only big time in the spotlight has been hanging on to the Grinch leak for far longer and far harder than anyone else, and yet for whatever reason he gained a decent following of people who trust him from that.

It wouldn't be a stretch to assume that a leaker would size him up as being gullible and having enough equally gullible people in tow to get a leak off the ground.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
We're still talking about the google ads?

Wouldn't you think that if they were legit, that Nintendo would've fixed their mistake and taken them down by now?

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
I mean, the dude was more than likely behind the Grinch hoax, which managed to fool a lot of people. Wouldn't doubt that he's some kind of sociopathic savant.
Wait are you joking or serious about this?

Because I have literally never heard of this but I'm also generally out of the loop on things and Crazy Rosalina Amiibo Guy attempting to orchestrate mass chaos in the fandom would be the single wildest plot twist ever

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
We're still talking about the google ads?

Wouldn't you think that if they were legit, that Nintendo would've fixed their mistake and taken them down by now?
the discussion's shifted more to how stupidly expensive it would be for this guy to be running 4 ads in 10 different european countries with different translations for each ad, especially since a google ad is £22/day on average

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
the discussion's shifted more to how stupidly expensive it would be for this guy to be running 4 ads in 10 different european countries with different translations for each ad, especially since a google ad is £22/day on average
Never doubt the expenses people take out of their pockets for the sake of the interent

Remember that time MTP bought a whole bunch of Rosalina amiibo just because he hated the character, and wanted them to be hard to get for others?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
the way i see it, the cheapest way for the guy to do this is for him to set up one ad that responds to all terms under "<character> super smash bros ultimate" and "<character> smash bros ultimate": the message is the same, so it could all easily be one ad with one daily cost, and terms that weirdly-specific still don't step on nintendo's toes.

it still leaves the whole multiple language thing in question, though.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Never doubt the expenses people take out of their pockets for the sake of the interent

Remember that time MTP bought a whole bunch of Rosalina amiibo just because he hated the character, and wanted them to be hard to get for others?
How many did het buy?
Like, do we have a scope for how much money the guy has?

D

Deleted member

Like, definitely fake, but I wanna talk about Artorias for a moment.
Thing about Dark Souls is that the mc is a real non-character. It's not just that they're a blank slate, it's that their not remotely the memorable part of the series. The memorable thing is everybody else you meet, like npcs such as Solaire or bosses like Artorias. And I feel like this isn't unprecedented for Smash. Look at Monster Hunter. Everybody thought they were pretty likely for base game, but instead we got Rathalos as a boss. Part of me think that's because the dev team realises that what's memorable about MH isn't the generic hunter, the real icon is the monsters themselves. If that is the logic used, then Artorias could fall under something similar. He's easily at least top 3 most popular character in the series, with his main competition being Solaire. Thing is, Artorias is more important to the lore, is arguably more emblematic of DS as a franchise, and is more 'recurring' throughout the series, albeit in name only.

On Dark Souls itself, I've always thought it was a dark horse pick for dlc. Honestly, at least from my perspective, Dark Souls is probably the single most influential japanese game ip created in the last decade. It's had a very noticeable impact on games, has become super well known as a series (at least relatively) and the IP holder directly works on Smash. You wanna talk about 'iconic new blood' for dlc, look no further. I wouldn't argue it's very likely by any means, but it makes a lot more sense then most people realise. Could happen.

Oh an yeah, again, this leak is definitely fake, but a DS character could get in on its own.

Last edited by a moderator:

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
E3 will make or break this leak for me. if Erdrick does get revealed though its in my eyes the work of a master troll with infinite cash xD

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Like, definitely fake, but I wanna talk about Artorias for a moment.
Thing about Dark Souls is that the mc is a real non-character. It's not just that they're a blank slate, it's that their not remotely the memorable part of the series. The memorable thing is everybody else you meet, like npcs such as Solaire or bosses like Artorias. And I feel like this isn't unprecedented for Smash. Look at Monster Hunter. Everybody thought they were pretty likely for base game, but instead we got Rathalos as a boss. Part of me think that's because the dev team realises that what's memorable about MH isn't the generic hunter, the real icon is the monsters themselves. If that is the logic used, then Artorias could fall under something similar. He's easily at least top 3 most popular character in the series, with his main competition being Solaire. Thing is, Artorias is more important to the lore, is arguably more emblematic of DS as a franchise, and is more 'recurring' throughout the series, albeit in name only.

On Dark Souls itself, I've always thought it was a dark horse pick for dlc. Honestly, at least from my perspective, Dark Souls is probably the single most influential japanese game ip created in the last decade. It's had a very noticeable impact on games, has become super well known as a series (at least relatively) and the IP holder directly works on Smash. You wanna talk about 'iconic new blood' for dlc, look no further. I wouldn't argue it's very likely by any means, but it makes a lot more sense then most people realise. Could happen.

Oh an yeah, again, this leak is definitely fake, but a DS character could get in on its own.
dark souls' influence can be summed up in how 'difficult game' = "X is the dark souls of <genre>"

'soulslike' is as much a genre as metroidvania these days

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm no professional but I use to do voice acting for YouTube videos back when I was younger. After a failed abridged series transformed my voice into a pedophilic Armstrong, I dropped out of voice acting.

And sadly, I'm not kidding.
. - .

I have no words. Real sorry. Trust me, the community is better than that. You must have found some bad apples,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom