• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Another example of an antagonist that is more iconic than the protagonist is Arthas Menethil, The Lich King from Warcraft. Arthas is a villain who is only playable in Warcraft 3 during his descent into madness, he is by no means the protagonist of the game due to the system of multiple chapters in Warcraft 3, and he isn't playable in World of Warcraft since he's a big boss in that game. But despite that, he is the most iconic and popular character from that series. When Blizzard unveiled Heroes of the Storm, their own crossover game, Arthas was the first Warcraft character to be revealed. Hell, he was the only Warcraft character in the cinematic reveal trailer for that game.

Shroob

Sup?
I think it's understandably in this case. Because this is a case of a character that is more iconic than the playable protagonist. Dark Souls is a series that is well known for it's bosses, so it's possible they might pick the most memorable boss in the series as a way to pay tribute to the series. Every Dark Souls fan I know loves Artorias, and I believe most of them would prefer to have Artorias playable instead of the Chosen Undead.
Honestly this makes sense, and reminds me of what @GoldenYuiitusin just said, a character eclipsing the main character of their game, being in this case Pikachu to Red.

D

Deleted member

Eh, Duck Hunt is a combination of the dog, duck and shooter (who would be the protagonist in this case), so I wouldn't count that one. The WFT example is also a little questionable as not only did they debut in the same game, but Miis are characters that have spanned across multiple different games like Wii Sports and Play whereas WFT is exclusive to Wii Fit itself, which would make her more viable as a choice 'representing' that game then the Miis.

The Pokémon are a good example though.
It isn't a matter of who represents the game better (to which I agree that the Trainer would represent Wii Fit better than a Mii), it's a matter of being a valid case where the "main character" isn't used to represent the game and there's someone else instead.

EDIT: There's also the R.O.B. example which I noticed people overlooked. :p He was just the peripheral and assistant while Professor Hector was the protagonist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
I think my biggest question is how happy would Japan be with this DLC.

Dark Souls has always stuck out as a game popular in the West due to all the memes I see, and I know little of its Eastern popularity, though I 'assume' it's high?

Doom Marine is strictly West.

Ryu is kinda both I feel, though more East.

and Banjo is........West-ish? I don't know BK's popularity in the East at all compared to DK64.

osby

Smash Obsessed
When you think about it, it's not even a question that who Sakurai would pick from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not familiar with Dark Souls, but I don't think the concept of protagonist not necessarily being the first choice is out of the table. Bizarre thing is Artorias apparently being a boss, which is a lot more unusual.

D

Deleted member

When you think about it, it's not even a question that who Sakurai would pick from Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I'm not familiar with Dark Souls, but I don't think the concept of protagonist not necessarily being the first choice is out of the table. Bizarre thing is Artorias apparently being a boss, which is a lot more unusual.
The top two choices for Dark Souls are between an NPC and a boss.
It doesn't get any more unusual than that. Says something about how the protagonists are.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Dark Souls has always stuck out as a game popular in the West due to all the memes I see, and I know little of its Eastern popularity, though I 'assume' it's high?

and Banjo is........West-ish? I don't know BK's popularity in the East at all compared to DK64.
Dark Souls is actually quite popular in Japan as well, the series always had fan art made in there. The thing to notice is that the Western and Japanese fanbase have their own bubbles and are mostly seperate from each other.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly this makes sense, and reminds me of what @GoldenYuiitusin just said, a character eclipsing the main character of their game, being in this case Pikachu to Red.
Yeah but pikachu is the mascot and so are a lot of other non-protagonists.

I very much can't say the same for Artorias popular as he is within the Dark Souls community, especially considering he's only on the boxart for the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition cover.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah but pikachu is the mascot and so are a lot of other non-protagonists.

I very much can't say the same for Artorias popular as he is within the Dark Souls community, especially considering he's only on the boxart for the original Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition cover.
But was Pikachu the mascot when R/G came out?

He was by the time that Smash came around but afaik they were still banking on Clefairy.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

Joker is more popular in Japan, so there's that.

I guess it's kinda balanced? When you think about the previous game's DLC newcomers, at least half of them appeal of them appealed to West more than Japan: :ultcloud::ultbayonetta1:, though Cloud is still very popular in East.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
But was Pikachu the mascot when R/G came out?

He was by the time that Smash came around but afaik they were still banking on Clefairy.
I want to say yes, considering the Clefairy idea never really left the ground and Pikachu was absolutely the de facto mascot well before 1999.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, it's noteworthy that character picks are more sensible than your average "wish list with wacky characters thrown in" leak.

All of them appeal to a mature audience and they aren't that big despite coming from well-received games, like Joker.

Still need more evidence, but it's something to keep in mind.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I think the Google thing is plausible based on stuff people have said, but I'm gonna be cautious about it. It could just be some troll spending their money just to tick people off - why they would wait and hope someone finds their fake ads instead of making a thread on 4chan is beyond me, though, but weird people do weird things. They even put in extra effort to make sure their ads' descriptions have randomized elements, more than the Joker ad.

There was this Artorias "leak" that was found; it's from February:

https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/451188924/#q451188924
Well if this happens I’ll fully believe the google leak. It’s not even a bad roster. Banjo is neat but doom is hype.
Also, I'm not particularly invested in any of the Google "leak" characters, but the worst take I've seen about them is Artorias, Ryu, Doomguy and Joker supposedly all looking same.
Who looked at this:
And said it’s totally the same as this:
1557643708770.jpeg

????

I too remember the persona scene where joker goes all Texas chain saw on some peoples ass!

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
All this talk of Dark Souls actually made me realize the series is more likely to be DLC for Smash than we thought. Bamco has worked on Smash and copyright is no problem. Dark Souls is one of the most influential game series of this decade. And if Nintendo's recent quote about them trying to reach other demographics with the DLC is anything to go by, then Dark Souls fits their description since most of the Dark Souls community plays on Playstation and PC rather than the Switch.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
All this talk of Dark Souls actually made me realize the series is more likely to be DLC for Smash than we thought. Bamco has worked on Smash and copyright is no problem. Dark Souls is one of the most influential game series of this decade. And if Nintendo's recent quote about them trying to reach other demographics with the DLC is anything to go by, then Dark Souls fits their description since most of the Dark Souls community plays on Playstation and PC rather than the Switch.
Plus if it happens,

Smash can truly be the dark souls of fighting games

Shroob

Sup?
I can't say anything bad about the DLC choices to be blunt if it 'is' true, though again, until actual evidence shows itself, I'm remaining skeptical.

Doom Marine is my de facto most wanted for this cycle of DLC.
Banjo would make nearly everyone happy.
Ryu Hyabusa is the logical next step for "Guy who's tied to the NES but not in Smash yet"
And Artorias, well I know nothing about Dark Souls myself but I'm expecting, and planning to be bored of, all the "The Dark Souls of Smash Ultimate" comments.

Shroob

Sup?
Plus if it happens,

Smash can truly be the dark souls of fighting games
I can't say anything bad about the DLC choices to be blunt if it 'is' true, though again, until actual evidence shows itself, I'm remaining skeptical.

Doom Marine is my de facto most wanted for this cycle of DLC.
Banjo would make nearly everyone happy.
Ryu Hyabusa is the logical next step for "Guy who's tied to the NES but not in Smash yet"
And Artorias, well I know nothing about Dark Souls myself but I'm expecting, and planning to be bored of, all the "The Dark Souls of Smash Ultimate" comments.
You mother ******

It begins

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Though Dark Souls is not Namco, Namco is only the publisher in occident right? The game is "From Software", so having Capcom already in Smash is not enough.

Though I think Dark Souls in Smash still has a chance... maybe with all the blood removed but still.

EDIT: I confused Namco with Capcom once again -.-

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if the Google Theory turns out to be a total fake, I still wouldn't be surprised if some of these characters made it in. None of them are especially far out there or farfetched, right?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Though Dark Souls is not Capcom, Capcom is only the publisher in occident right? The game is From Software, so having Capcom already in Smash is not enough.

Though I think Dark Souls in Smash still has a chance... maybe with all the blood removed but still.
Dark Souls barely has any blood to begin with, at least compared to Bayonetta.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Though Dark Souls is not Namco, Namco is only the publisher in occident right? The game is "From Software", so having Capcom already in Smash is not enough.

EDIT: I confused Namco with Capcom once again -.-
The Dark Souls IP is owned by Bandai Namco, Miyazaki confirmed it.

D

Deleted member

Yosheye Yosheye
Edit: It is not spam, I am just phrasing a quote Yoshi says in a joking matter. "Yoshi Yoshi!".

Last edited by a moderator:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Even if the Google Theory turns out to be a total fake, I still wouldn't be surprised if some of these characters made it in. None of them are especially far out there or farfetched, right?
Not really, no.

I've personally been pushing for Banjo & Kazooie, and I acknowledge that Dark Souls is a dark horse pick when it comes to a Namco rep.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Dark Souls barely has any blood to begin with, at least compared to Bayonetta.
Yeah that's true, but there's still a lot of gore anyway. Even just that scene that someone posted a couple of pages ago, of Artorias throwing a corpose.

The Dark Souls IP is owned by Bandai Namco, Miyazaki confirmed it.
oh cool! I didn't know.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well if this happens I’ll fully believe the google leak. It’s not even a bad roster. Banjo is neat but doom is hype.

Who looked at this:

And said it’s totally the same as this:
View attachment 219171

????

I too remember the persona scene where joker goes all Texas chain saw on some peoples ***!
Why'd you post two pictures of the same character?

Seems kind of redundant.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
What is the Google Theory?
This weird rumor that people put together by testing what characters have ads for the fighter pass on Europe’s google search engine. The only characters that get the ad to pop up is banjo, joker, atrovious from dark souls, doom marine and ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

Since they trigger the ad and no one else people think it might mean they are in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yeah that's true, but there's still a lot of gore anyway. Even just that scene that someone posted a couple of pages ago, of Artorias throwing a corpose.
Yeah, I posted that, that's definitely not what I consider gore, it's a fully intact unmakred ragdoll.

Compare that to Bayonetta where enemies are cut to pieces and spew out a fountain of blood in the very first cutscene of the game.

Shroob

Sup?
This weird rumor that people put together by testing what characters have ads for the fighter pass on Europe’s google search engine. The only characters that get the ad to pop up is banjo, joker, atrovious from dark souls, doom marine and ryu from Ninja Gaiden.

Since they trigger the ad and no one else people think it might mean they are in.
I think the big question is why the hell would ALL FOUR be up now?

Unless they're just planning to drop a "This is our DLC roadmap plan" like a lot of companies do at E3, but that doesn't seem very Sakurai-like to not try to build up suspense for the next character.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Yeah, I posted that, that's definitely not what I consider gore, it's a fully intact unmakred ragdoll.

Compare that to Bayonetta where enemies are cut to pieces and spew out a fountain of blood in the very first cutscene of the game.
well, I guess you are right. Maybe it's just the theme of death then... anyway, I think it wouldn't be an issue in Smash, considering that other M rated series made it already.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think the big question is why the hell would ALL FOUR be up now?

Unless they're just planning to drop a "This is our DLC roadmap plan" like a lot of companies do at E3, but that doesn't seem very Sakurai-like to not try to build up suspense for the next character.
Yeah, but at the same time... "everyone is here" announced every single character.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Yeah. It really is the oddest rumor or leak I've ever seen.

Box Theory and even Blog Theory and Sound Theory had evidence backing them. Chair Theory was a crack theory from the start. But Google Theory is just...odd.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I do think it's funny that this Google Rumor leaves Erdrick out entirely. If Erdrick isn't in I'll be a little disappointed since I was looking forward to their potential but I'll be 100% OK with them not being in. Artorias is a cool ass choice, and I'll gladly take a Souls characgwr in Smash.

I'm still pretty confident in Erdrick though. We'll see by E3 I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom