• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
It's really cute and doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets. It's far from being an inanimate object Pokemon and its design works better than the most.

Miles better than its evolution.
:drohyou:Imma have to stop you right there, since Garbodor is a perfect representation of what they're going for.

All 3 of the pollution trio(Grimer, Koffing, Trubbish) start off small and almost endearing, but their main point is to show the impact that pollution has.

Grimer which was once a small, unassuming ooze now is huge, rancid and is toxic to the touch

Koffing, which was a happy boi, now has a tumor-like growth spouting off of itself

Trubbish which was small and happy had its bag burst and the garbage spill out everywhere, while being hideous

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's really cute and doesn't deserve half of the hate it gets. It's far from being an inanimate object Pokemon and its design works better than the most.

Miles better than its evolution.
The biggest reason I've never considered taking pokemon seriously is my affection for mid-level smaller pokemon and not their highest evolutions. None of my favorite pokemon who end up on my team are the third evolution.

In fact, I think Electrode, Scizor and the various Eeveelutions are the only ones who count as "final" evolutions.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
My biggest question here is:

Who is this guy?

Like I said before, my friend is DEEP into the Dark Souls lore, but literally everything he's told me is just "He's this hyper badass who you fight in a DLC chapter and he's not even at full power"

Is he like, the most important figure to the lore or something?
I thought he was the playable character of Dark Souls 3.

Maybe that's what other people think as well.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The biggest reason I've never considered taking pokemon seriously is my affection for mid-level smaller pokemon and not their highest evolutions. None of my favorite pokemon who end up on my team are the third evolution.

In fact, I think Electrode, Scizor and the various Eeveelutions are the only ones who count as "final" evolutions.
Scizor's ****ing cool as hell.

Basically a thinly veiled excuse to have a gundam looking pokemon.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

To be fair, there tends to be several suggestions for a Dark Souls character from what I hear, whether it's Solaire, Gwyn, Ornstein, Artorias, and sometimes the Chosen Undead

osby

Smash Obsessed
Liking Stunfisk man.

How can you love something with base 471 stats?
By not playing Pokemon? I just like its design and abilities and how it smiles when it electrocutes you.

Also, game-play and story segregation.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
My biggest question here is:

Who is this guy?

Like I said before, my friend is DEEP into the Dark Souls lore, but literally everything he's told me is just "He's this hyper badass who you fight in a DLC chapter and he's not even at full power"

Is he like, the most important figure to the lore or something?
He's decently important lore-wise... I'm not a big expert of Dark Souls' lore, but he was one of the knights of the final boss, Gwyn, and Gwyn is mentioned in the lore of all 3 Dark Souls games (I think) so he's pretty important.
He went into the abyss for reasons and he got corrupted by it in order to defend his wolf companion Sif (pretty brave I think XD).

Lore wise, Gwyn is more important than Artorias, though Artorias looks cooler and more peculiar/spectacular in the way he fights (for example his broken arm, that's very iconic), that could be a reason for picking him over Gwyn or anyone else more popular like Solaire.

so you're saying he's shadow the hedgehog but the version in sonic and the black knight but human but in another franchise
He's a pretty edgy character, but in a series where the main character is a cursed undead I don't know if he's any edgier than any other character.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

:212: is cool but have you ****ing seen :123: it has blades for hands it's edward scissorhands

Shroob

Sup?

Is he though? Because the wiki seems to imply at least that he's just a boss exclusive to DS1 dlc.

I just have a hard time seeing them not picking someone like the main PC or meme man over some random DLC boss.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly possible Sakurai could, but it seems really weird since, again, he's a DLC boss.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Even though Red was my first and Yellow was a big deal, Silver was my favorite game growing up. It was the first and only time I built my team up to lvl.100 with no rare candies.

I remember catching Scyther then having another kid tell me he had a metal version. I thought that was so ****ing cool and pleaded for someone to give me his metal coat for him, because I'd already wasted mine. It was probably the most exciting trade I'd made when my bad*** red metal Bug Gundam came back to me.

That team'll always be special to me.

:126::215::212::134::101::150:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Even though Red was my first and Yellow was a big deal, Silver was my favorite game growing up. It was the first and only time I built my team up to lvl.100 with no rare candies.

I remember catching Scyther then having another kid tell me he had a metal version. I thought that was so ****ing cool and pleaded for someone to give me his metal coat for him, because I'd already wasted mine. It was probably the most exciting trade I'd made when my bad*** red metal Bug Gundam came back to me.

That team'll always be special to me.

:126::215::212::134::101::150:
this dude had a ****ing electrode what a los-

is that a magmar how the hell

D

Deleted member

I just have a hard time seeing them not picking someone like the main PC or meme man over some random DLC boss.
He's the second most iconic character of the entire franchise after "meme man".
He isn't just some "random DLC boss". He's got a MAJOR following.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Is he though? Because the wiki seems to imply at least that he's just a boss exclusive to DS1 dlc.

Don't get me wrong, it's highly possible Sakurai could, but it seems really weird since, again, he's a DLC boss.
No, the player in DS3 is the Ashen One.

Artorias is mainly a lore character, you don't face him in the base game because he's from the past, you only face him in the DLC because you time travel back to the past when he still exists (but corrupted); you have to kill him in order to free his soul from the corruption.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
We discussing Artorias?
The knight is actually pretty important to the Dark Souls trilogy, his boss fight is sighted by most fans as the best boss fight in the game for being so memorable and epic. His sword is available in all three games as a weapon that can be equipped. And his role for the lore is important, even after his death his legend carries on through people who idolized him (The Abyss Watchers). So it's reasonable to understand why he would be picked instead of the Chosen Undead or Solaire, as he lingers on throughout the trilogy while these two are important in one game.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
So Detective Pikachu's Ryme City has this big emphasis on "partner pokemon". Everyone has a best friend or whatever.

Lemme ask this:

Who would your partner pokemon be.

No legendaries unless you're a god of something.
I'd go with Golurk. Long time favorite of mine, and it can learn fly!

Btw I saw you like Electrode. Top tier taste, my guy. ;)

Shroob

Sup?
He's the second most iconic character of the entire franchise after "meme man".
He isn't just some "random DLC boss". He's got a MAJOR following.
Fair, but then my question is: why?

I guess we're all conditioned to just 'expect' franchises to start with playable protagonists and then branch off into secondary/rival/villain characters.

This would be a first of "New franchise added to Smash where the first character isn't the main character"

I 'think'

KMDP

Smash Legend
So Detective Pikachu's Ryme City has this big emphasis on "partner pokemon". Everyone has a best friend or whatever.

Lemme ask this:

Who would your partner pokemon be.

No legendaries unless you're a god of something.
Any one of

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur.
Pikachu.
Magikarp/Gyarados.
Dratini/Dragonair/Dragonite.
Riolo/Lucario.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also, I'm not particularly invested in any of the Google "leak" characters, but the worst take I've seen about them is Artorias, Ryu, Doomguy and Joker supposedly all looking same.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
this dude had a ****ing electrode what a los-

is that a magmar how the hell
Okay, so. Story time.

When I was in middle school, I played the Pokemon TCG every weekend at Books-A-Million. At one point, the "Feraligatr deck" meta took over and everyone had one. Except me. So I tried to recreate the concept with the cards I had and discovered that Blaine's Magmar basically did the same thing but more quickly with higher risk. So at like ****in' 10 years old I constructed the deck, went to the weekly TCG day and beat the biggest gym leader's Feraligatr deck with my Magmar deck. Felt like a bad***.

So I took that deck to a tournament in another town, and went undefeated in the pools. In the final bracket though, I lost my first match due to some bad draws, but the TO thought my deck was cool and asked me to submit it to the official Pokemon TCG site because sometimes they feature new deck ideas there.

And they picked mine. Some guy on the official website of the game I played picked my deck, wrote up an article about its strengths and weaknesses, made a couple changes to make it "better" and named it the deck idea of the week.

I basically peaked at ten because I clearly haven't accomplished anything that cool since.

Oh! Right. Point of the story: that's why Magmar's one of my absolute favorites. He's a flaming butthead.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
To note: I'm not opposed to this guy, he looks absolutely bad ass.

Just, I'd definitely be surprised since it'd pretty much, once again, kick another thing we thought was just 'accepted' down.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but the

BIG
MEATY
CLAWS
:098::098::098:Couldn't agree more. :098::098::098:

I guess we're all conditioned to just 'expect' franchises to start with playable protagonists and then branch off into secondary/rival/villain characters.

This would be a first of "New franchise added to Smash where the first character isn't the main character"

I 'think'
True, especially after Sakurai picked Belmonts over Alucard, but it's not that improbable. After all, Dark Souls is a weird pick by itself.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr

I 'think'
I get your feeling, though Dark Souls doesn't really have a main character. There is the Chosen Undead, and all, but unlike Villager and the other avatar characters we have in Smash, the avatar in Dark Souls is super generic, he/she doesn't have any iconic trait, it's just a zombie with an armor and weapons.

There are several important characters in the series and those are usually because of their role in the lore, or because of their bossfight.

osby

Smash Obsessed
To note: I'm not opposed to this guy, he looks absolutely bad ***.

Just, I'd definitely be surprised since it'd pretty much, once again, kick another thing we thought was just 'accepted' down.
Super Smash Bros: Expect the Unexpected

D

Deleted member

I 'think'
:ultwiifittrainer: (You/Your Mii would be the main character; the Trainer is just the NPC that helps you)
:ultduckhunt: (The dog is just your assistant, the ducks are your targets)
:ultrob: (Professor Hector is the protagonist; R.O.B. is just the peripheral used for the games)
And the biggest example of all, dating back from the original Smash....
:ultpikachu:
Heck, we had :ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu: before even getting the actual main character. :ultpokemontrainer:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

I 'think'
I think it's understandably in this case. Because this is a case of a character that is more iconic than the playable protagonist. Dark Souls is a series that is well known for it's bosses, so it's possible they might pick the most memorable boss in the series as a way to pay tribute to the series. Every Dark Souls fan I know loves Artorias, and I believe most of them would prefer to have Artorias playable instead of the Chosen Undead.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If Artorias gets in, (which he won't), he better have a victory animation where he tosses the corpse of a monster at the camera.
tumblr_ndyo73D6w01qfbz1so5_500.gif

D

Deleted member

Smogon is fun.
I remember when the USUM OU viability ranking system came out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
:ultwiifittrainer: (You/Your Mii would be the main character; the Trainer is just the NPC that helps you)
:ultrob: (Professor Hector is the protagonist; R.O.B. is just the peripheral used for the games)
Heck, we had :ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu: before even getting the actual main character. :ultpokemontrainer:
I kinda have to knock a point off since, I mean, 'you' are part of Duck Hunt, as pedantic as it is.

D

Deleted member

I kinda have to knock a point off since, I mean, 'you' are part of Duck Hunt, as pedantic as it is.
Fair enough.
I didn't really count that because you directly control the Dog and Duck in Smash while "you" only show up as reticles for some attacks, but eh.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Eh, Duck Hunt is a combination of the dog, duck and shooter (who would be the protagonist in this case), so I wouldn't count that one. The WFT example is also a little questionable as not only did they debut in the same game, but Miis are characters that have spanned across multiple different games like Wii Sports and Play whereas WFT is exclusive to Wii Fit itself, which would make her more viable as a choice 'representing' that game then the Miis.

The Pokémon are a good example though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom