• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
A truly skilled player, imo, should be able to master the random elements as well.
You can't master "random" elements. This is why major pokemon tourneys play doubles and not singles. The random jank of single battles simply cannot exist in a competitive state. Smash's items are beyond broken. They were arguably at their most balanced in melee, and even then they had to be banned after already being used in competitions due to the fact that it wasn't competitively viable and didn't express how well each player fought.

This is a fighting game. And thus tournaments should prove who is better at the fighting mechanics, not the mario party luck that the items bring to the table.

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
A truly skilled player, imo, should be able to master the random elements as well.
To an extend. Some characters with random elements are balanced according to that.

But items and stage hazards aren't a part of characters. You can't practice to get good at random elements.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Also, stop impersonating @Cutie Gwen . You’re not fit to scrub her eldritch tentacles.
Random elements and skill fundamentally contradict each other.

D

Deleted member

I love casual Smash Bros as much as the next guy, but some of it is not fair when the entire focus of competitive play is your skill with the fighter alone. Some final smashes are just flat out better than others (Daisy, Snake, Zelda), assist trophies and Pokeballs can be utter bull**** (Tiki, Rathalos, Keldeo), a lot of stage layouts can encourage running away, cheap walk off kills, or interfering obstacles (Palutena's Temple's size, any walk-off stage, and obstacles like the Flying Men or Yellow Devil).

The entire point of competitive play is to knock out as much randomness and unbalanced mechanics as possible for the purpose of making it... competitive. It's like football. You can play it any way you want with friends, but the NFL has their own rules dedicated to it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I’m gonna need an entire sensible explanation on this whole ProJared/JonTron/other stuff controversy going on cause I’m lost as ****

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
We have no circumstantial evidence for it
gonna have to disagree for probably obvious reasons at this point, though it's an argument that won't be seeing any significant changes either way for a good long while so it's hard to factor it in

if we're talking purely newcomers with no room for echoes, to be honest i still think one character is likelier than two. having 3/5 characters shown off by june when the final release date seems to be intended for around feb 2020 (following both 'to be released by feb 2020' and smash 4 precedent with corrin/bayo) would otherwise strike me as another imminent ryu-cloud gap.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
To an extend. Some characters with random elements are balanced according to that.

But items and stage hazards aren't a part of characters. You can't practice to get good at random elements.
How? You can Spawn every item in training mode. Stage hazards.. I mean just play a bunch on that stage.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I love casual Smash Bros as much as the next guy, but some of it is not fair when the entire focus of competitive play is your skill with the fighter alone. Some final smashes are just flat out better than others (Daisy, Snake, Zelda), assist trophies and Pokeballs can be utter bull**** (Tiki, Rathalos, Keldeo), a lot of stage layouts can encourage running away, cheap walk off kills, or interfering obstacles (Palutena's Temple's size, any walk-off stage, and obstacles like the Flying Men or Yellow Devil).

The entire point of competitive play is to knock out as much randomness and unbalanced mechanics as possible for the purpose of making it... competitive. It's like football. You can play it any way you want with friends, but the NFL has their own rules dedicated to it.
Games should never have been made into sports. In my opinionIt ruins them.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I’m gonna need an entire sensible explanation on this whole ProJared/JonTron/other stuff controversy going on cause I’m lost as ****
Projared cheated on his wife, Heidi, with Holly Conrad. You probably know her as RubberRoss' ex wife. Heidi then went to twitter and started relaying a bunch of information about how ****ty Jared is and how abusive and manipulative he was during their marriage

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Projared cheated on his wife, Heidi, with Holly Conrad. You probably know her as RubberRoss' ex wife. Heidi then went to twitter and started relaying a bunch of information about how ****ty Jared is and how abusive and manipulative he was
Welp. That’s one more member of Normal Boots down. I never liked Jared anyway.

Let’s hope PBG and Jirard aren’t next. I love those guys and they come across as so genuine.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
Games should never have been made into sports. In my opinionIt ruins them.
some games are literally made for competition though. Hell, Smash is made for competition. It's a multiplayer game in which one winner will prevail.
I don't understand why you think it ruins it. You can just choose to not tune into the competitive scene.

D

Deleted member

if we're talking purely newcomers with no room for echoes, to be honest i still think one character is likelier than two. having 3/5 characters shown off by june when the final release date seems to be intended for around feb 2020 (following both 'to be released by feb 2020' and smash 4 precedent with corrin/bayo) would otherwise strike me as another imminent ryu-cloud gap.
Yeah, I fully believe one newcomer is more likely than two. Right now, we've seen with Joker that they just dropped him in April and we expect Newcomer #2 to be dropped at E3, so they could just reveal Newcomer #3 when they're good and ready. This is where my concern lies when it comes to a Microsoft rep. E3 is the perfect time to reveal them

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
How so? You can still play casually with your friends?
Because competitive play always takes precedence over the casual market. Console exclusive guest characters died because of the competitive scene. And who knows how many other amazing ideas developers have begrudgingly scrapped because it “wouldn’t work in competitive play”.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But items drop randomly on matches, not on your command like in training.
So? If you know how to use them well and can get ahold of them before your opponent, then why does it matter you can’t control which one spawns.

PBG responded to Heidi's abuse story with "this ain't it chief" so no he's cancelled too
Damn it!

Please let this just be shock and denial and that Austin isn’t actually horrible.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because competitive play always takes precedence over the casual market. Console exclusive guest characters died because of the competitive scene. And who knows how many other amazing ideas developers have begrudgingly scrapped because it “wouldn’t work in competitive play”.
Why is being locked out of content because of your choice of console a GOOD thing?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Console exclusive characters isn't good for anyone, though. I'd rather have the full content regardless of which console I play, aside from hardware related issues.

D

Deleted member

Uh... you know it doesn't matter what characters aren't used for competitive play when you're not a part of it, right? You can still play and enjoy them. Who gives a **** if someone else miles away from you doesn't?

And who does know what developers scrapped for competitive, at least for Smash Bros? No one does because there's like no proof of that being the case, so it's an assumption without merit.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
If we're talking Kasumi, I don't think that's enough to sway me. Her model could have been upgraded to echo fighter
moreso that if she's in, i'd be a little surprised (not completely surprised, granted) if she's the only one. the timing of joker's april release and royal's release--a six month gap for Japan alone--makes me doubt that she would have just been something they decided to upgrade on a whim, and rather, that she was always intended to be a fully-fledged echo. of course, she could always just be an exception: a one-off additional character that doesn't follow a pattern of planned echoes, but instead just exists as a "huh, that's neat" part of an update.

but given the echoes' prominence in ultimate's marketing, and given that in this hypothetical scenario they're putting aside time for kasumi's development, they strike me as a fairly quick-and-easy way to surprise people with content that didn't quite make the cut (e.g. octolings/octo expansion music). certainly a better use of resources than smash 4's million and one mii costumes, at any rate.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
So? If you know how to use them well and can get ahold of them before your opponent, then why does it matter you can’t control which one spawns.
Because characters with good mobility options will just snag the items easily and use them against their opponent without taking any risk.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Damn it!

Please let this just be shock and denial and that Austin isn’t actually horrible.
Imagine you and your opponent are down to your last stocks. You break their shield. You charge up a smash attack.

A Bob-Omb falls into your oncoming Smash Attack and kills you.

That's why items have no business in competitive play.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why is being locked out of content because of your choice of console a GOOD thing?
Because it allows characters from first party Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft content to appear in your game. I want Kratos in another fighting game, for example. But he obviously can’t be in every version. So he has to just be on the PS4 version. So that one gets that cool crossover.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
No idea lol...

Here's a screenshot, in case y'all were curious
View attachment 218187View attachment 218184
If you ask me, it's nothing more than a funny a coincidence, and that's what seems to be the case
ok but can you ****ing imagine if this is how sakurai starts teasing characters from now on

1557409618351.png

just sticks their frozen corpses into completely random parts of maps, one update at a time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom