• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
As a Splatoon fan, hmm, I dunno. I'm kind of 50/50 on that.

A Sonic game that was made by people that hate Sonic and think anyone could make a better Sonic game would 100% end up as a Sonic game that feels too much like a Nintendo game, though, at least judging by the pitches the world has been subjected to.

Which thinking on it may say something about the mindset of those types of people. Guess the 90's never die.
Nintendo’s aesthetic just doesn’t jive with Sonic to me. I want the characters to talk. I want there to be an actual plot. I want them to use his extended cast. That kind of thing.

D

Deleted member

literally how would those stop endgame from increasing in sales
rewatches are what carry box office runs in the long term, especially with a movie as frontloaded as endgame

people will probably choose to watch these big new blockbuster hits for the first time over endgame for the second or third time

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
This has probably been posted here already, and if it has, well at least you get the pleasure of seeing it again:
"Whatever it takes..."

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nintendo’s aesthetic just doesn’t jive with Sonic to me. I want the characters to talk. I want there to be an actual plot. I want them to use his extended cast. That kind of thing.
Nintendo does all of that with their games, though.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
rewatches are what carry box office runs in the long term, especially with a movie as frontloaded as endgame

people will probably choose to watch these big new blockbuster hits for the first time over endgame for the second or third time
okay but what will stop them from watching it again after they saw either of those movies

D

Deleted member

Smash Bros Ultimate and the MCU are siblings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Pit Chipper.png

Actually that basically was a Sonic game writing wise and I'm legit upset they're seemingly not doing that again

Go buy Uprising

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This has probably been posted here already, and if it has, well at least you get the pleasure of seeing it again:
"Whatever it takes..."
Peach as Carol makes sense because she's as bland in character as the other is. :secretkpop:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

okay but what will stop them from watching it again after they saw either of those movies
the ga doesn't like to spend that much money on movies at a time

that's just how the box office has always worked

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To be fair a common criticism from modern Sonic games is how the focus was exclusively on Sonic. I believe the last time we had multiple playable characters that weren't Sonic was Black Knight until the custom character in Forces

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
They definitely aren't valid points. Uncanny valley is very subjective. He's in motion. They're personal dislikes. A valid criticism isn't simply a dislike, they're actual points to fix a character up. Which what you listed beyond the teeth weren't. I can dismiss bad points. And when I explain why they're bad, they're aren't being dissed whatsoever. They're being told why they aren't a problem. Non-valid criticisms is literally just saying "it's not really a problem overall".

Nobody should have to like the design of course. But it's still an exaggeration of the issue as well.

I do respect them. That isn't what being a valid criticism means. Valid criticism is an actual point that's thought out. Most of these are not thought-out statements. They're just "I hate this design". And they have a right to hate the design. That doesn't mean it's a valid criticism. Complaining and Criticism are not the same thing whatsoever. There's a reason why I just prefer to call it obnoxious whining, since that's what it when the term complaining comes up. There had been actual criticism(which isn't pointless hatred, but bringing the points up in a thoughtful manner).

The memes are the exact opposite of bringing it up in a thoughtful manner. They literally have no actual real message to send beyond "I hate this". Criticism is about taking something and explaining the issue. Healthy criticism is explaining the issue without being a jerk about it. I'd put myself more under regular Criticism considering my wording was poor, admittedly. But I won't lie about my behavior. No point in doing that. I can understand where people get the idea I don't respect their opinions. It's more I don't see a reason to take a lot of these points into account for a redesign. Gloves, teeth, maybe shoes, those are the design issues that matter in the movie. The rest is more personal fluff that are far more subjective instead.
This comes off as incredibly dismissive and elitist.

To put it bluntly, no **** it comes down to subjectivity. It doesn't make the criticism less valid. Movies are products. They're meant to appeal and sell. Being unappealing means less sales. It's not rocket science.

You're attempting to foist your own opinion onto others and tout it as fact, and honestly it's really gross. You don't get to judge what opinions are valid.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the Werehog was perfectly fine tbh
The night stages were very good beat 'em up levels.
It's my second favorite part of the game, with the Hub being the best. Day stages were third(and were okay, imo), and the Tails stages were just unplayable for me.

I enjoyed the story way more than the game. The last 3D game I enjoyed since 06(keep in mind I haven't tried Generations on my PS3, just my 3DS, so...) was Sonic Lost World, and that's just the demo alone.

I'm not a fan of Classic Sonic being needed. Part of it is that his gameplay doesn't feel right at times. I want to have a 3D game that is focused on Modern Sonic entirely, with or without friends.

Even if it’s being a jerk, their opinions are still thought out. They hate it for valid reasons. Just because they don’t state their reasons doesn’t mean they don’t have them.
If they can't state their reasons, then the complaint means nothing because nobody can understand their point. Expressing why is the most important part to any kind of criticism. Blind hatred is meaningless(at best it shows they can't sell it to you. Doesn't help in any way to make a better product or why anyone should care). The unfortunate matter is it's almost always blind hatred online. I've seen good reviews and criticism. They aren't common enough.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
the ga doesn't like to spend that much money on movies at a time

that's just how the box office has always worked
well the box office is dumb

why is it even a box

why is it an office

why are we here

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
John Wick doesn't actually set the box office on fire. John Wick 1 made about $88.8 million and the second made about $171 million.
Enough to get all the budget back and then some but it's not a huge hit.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's my second favorite part of the game, with the Hub being the best. Day stages were third(and were okay, imo), and the Tails stages were just unplayable for me.

I enjoyed the story way more than the game. The last 3D game I enjoyed since 06(keep in mind I haven't tried Generations on my PS3, just my 3DS, so...) was Sonic Lost World, and that's just the demo alone.

I'm not a fan of Classic Sonic being needed. Part of it is that his gameplay doesn't feel right at times. I want to have a 3D game that is focused on Modern Sonic entirely, with or without friends.

If they can't state their reasons, then the complaint means nothing because nobody can understand their point. Expressing why is the most important part to any kind of criticism. Blind hatred is meaningless(at best it shows they can't sell it to you. Doesn't help in any way to make a better product or why anyone should care). The unfortunate matter is it's almost always blind hatred online. I've seen good reviews and criticism. They aren't common enough.
While I agree that the complaint is meaningless if they don’t state it, it doesn’t make their opinion wrong.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Not to derail this conversation about sonic but what are some characters you wanna see in smash?
Just have a look at my signature. It's all regardless of actual likelihood, of course. I just think these would all be fun characters.

I didn't have room to add Anna, though. But she'd be there too.

D

Deleted member

*looks at Mario, Zelda, Arms, and Splatoon*

Just to clarify, I’m not asking for a Sonic RPG.
Those games you just listed have stories and dialogue though (well, minus ARMS), lol. Part of why Octo Expansion was made was to explore its lore, and Zelda has tons of lore there.

As for Mario, TTYD and SMRPG exist, so they've done story with him to. Nintendo not having stories in their games is a bit of an incorrect assumption; even Kirby has lore in it nowadays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Is that game worth playing? I never picked it up.

Also, if I were to actually buy a copy of Forces for my collection, which would be the best version to buy?
I’d find a way to rent both just so you can get a feel for them and decide for yourself. Also I’m not sure with Forces compared to other versions, I’ve only played the Switch version on a friend’s Switch.

Peach as Carol makes sense because she's as bland in character as she is. :secretkpop:
Peach deserves better than this.

D

Deleted member

They're personal dislikes
literally all dislikes are personal dislikes

the difference is that more people dislike it then like it, hence the memes, hence the complaints, hence the redesign

you can't explain away people's complaints by saying that they're just personal or not objective because that doesn't change the fact that people still have complaints and still don't like the design

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Those games you just listed have stories and dialogue though (well, minus ARMS), lol. Part of why Octo Expansion was made was to explore its lore, and Zelda has tons of lore there.

As for Mario, TTYD and SMRPG exist, so they've done story with him to. Nintendo not having stories in their games is a bit of an incorrect assumption; even Kirby has lore in it nowadays.
I want a plot. I want the characters to talk to each other. I want it to feel like a cartoon when I’m playing. I don’t want mostly text based dialogue with weird pseudo-Banjo noises and maybe 2 actual cutscenes.

D

Deleted member

MasterOfHyrule posted another E3 leak on his Twitter, I found it really interesting.

421424e.jpg

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I want a plot. I want the characters to talk to each other. I want it to feel like a cartoon when I’m playing. I don’t want mostly text based dialogue with weird pseudo-Banjo noises and maybe 2 actual cutscenes.
I can assure that if Nintendo were to make a Sonic game they would understand that there are certain expectations with the brand, he was their major rival back in the day after all

D

Deleted member

Some characters i'd want in smash are:
Waluigi
Wario with a moveset based on Wario Land
Hades
Medusa
Travis touchdown
Celica

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
To be fair a common criticism from modern Sonic games is how the focus was exclusively on Sonic. I believe the last time we had multiple playable characters that weren't Sonic was Black Knight until the custom character in Forces
Give us the boost formula but let us play as Tails/Knuckles/Amy/Shadow/Blaze and I’m good.

I can assure that if Nintendo were to make a Sonic game they would understand that there are certain expectations with the brand, he was their major rival back in the day after all
I hope.

They were remarkably accepting of games like Bayonetta and Conker so maybe.

It’s all just hypothetical anyway.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While I agree that the complaint is meaningless if they don’t state it, it doesn’t make their opinion wrong.
An opinion doesn't mean much if we can't understand the point behind it. It just means there's nothing to really read. Just shrug and say fair enough. It does not in any way help a product.

literally all dislikes are personal dislikes

the difference is that more people dislike it then like it, hence the memes, hence the complaints, hence the redesign

you can't explain away people's complaints by saying that they're just personal or not objective because that doesn't change the fact that people still have complaints and still don't like the design
That's completely irrelevant to the point I was making.

The memes are dumb and childish anyway.

The redesign wasn't really because of the complaints in itself, it was because of the points being brought up during them. They got zero useful information from the blind hatred(which is most of it). There was enough people who made useful enough points for them to consider it. Otherwise they'd sooner scrap the movie than do a redesign because they don't know what's wrong with nothing but complaining. It's about the details, the one thing matters for making a good product. They obviously had enough details to fix the small issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom