• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
as has Scorpion.
Scorpion?

Thought people threw him under the bus because "muh violence" while raising Doomguy to a pedestal.

Nah, it’s isn't just Steve I don’t think will happen. More recently, Banjo has shown up a lot more, as has Scorpion.

It’s not that I personally think the characters themselves are trash picks, but moreso that I think the process of obtaining them (or lack of exposure to Japanese gaming, which by what Push said probably kills off Mortal Kombat) gets more complicated and doesn’t entirely jive with that Sakurai does with Smash.

But hey, we’ll find out if i’m wrong.
It's at least obvious Sakurai is recognizing Western audiences more than he has the last few years in this game. Not sure by how much, but it's at least Ridley%.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I do like Mario better than Sonic, but you are a complete hypocrite WHEN YOU STOMP ON MINECRAFT EVERYTIME IT IS BEING DISCUSSED! Plus, it is fine if people want to talk about Sonic. I am completely okay with people liking Sonic than Mario.
Fine. Whatever. I’ll shut up about Minecraft and let y’all Force it on me. I’ll shut up about Sonic and let you keep kicking him when he’s down. I’ll stop saying anything except random bursts of enthusiasm and wholesome pictures sense that’s apparently all you want from me.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I’m just sick of it. You all know why. You guys at least know that posting about this upsets me, so why do you keep doing it when you KNOW your upsetting at least one board member.
Because freedom of speech?

We aren't going to stop talking about one thing just because one member doesn't like it, or else social media would be dead place the moment someone get upset over a topic.

I understand why you're sick of seeing that topic again and over again, but there is gonna a better way to go about it than just say "**** you guys".

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Seems like a new character reveal might be coming soon.
Japanese users who are subscribers of the official Super Smash Bros. Youtube channel are reporting that a blue icon is appearing beside the channel’s name on their list of subscribed channels. This blue icon usually indicates that the channel has been updated with a new video.

Upon clicking the channel, the blue icon is supposed to go away, but somehow it does not. Neither is there any new video on the Super Smash Bros. Youtube channel. This leads some to believe that a private video has been uploaded to the channel, scheduled to go public in the near future
huh, actually quite interesting

something similar happened a couple of days before the e3 2015 smash presentation was announced, iirc

D

Deleted member

Japanese users who are subscribers of the official Super Smash Bros. Youtube channel are reporting that a blue icon is appearing beside the channel’s name on their list of subscribed channels. This blue icon usually indicates that the channel has been updated with a new video.

Upon clicking the channel, the blue icon is supposed to go away, but somehow it does not. Neither is there any new video on the Super Smash Bros. Youtube channel. This leads some to believe that a private video has been uploaded to the channel, scheduled to go public in the near future
Just imagine if its shadowdropped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
*sees continuing discussion ensued while I was typing*

I mean, as a Sonic fan I'm legitimately embarrassed at the movie design and really hope they actually do go through with fixing it

But also as a Sonic fan, I'm pretty sure people ragging on things solely for the sake of ragging on things is part of why I have depression and anxiety issues.
The new trailer with the fixed design just released:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

We aren't going to stop talking about one thing just because one member doesn't like it, or else social media would be dead place the moment someone get upset over a topic.

I understand why you're sick of seeing that topic again and over again, but there is gonna a better way to go about it than just say "**** you guys".
What should I do then.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Scorpion?

Thought people threw him under the bus because "muh violence" while raising Doomguy to a pedestal.

It's at least obvious Sakurai is recognizing Western audiences more than he has the last few years in this game. Not sure by how much, but it's at least Ridley%.
I agree with this. He’s been throwing western fans a bone, i’d say through Ridley, Dark Samus, and on a non-first party pick, Shovel Knight.

The only difference is that he playable characters themselves come from Nintendo. It pushes the Japanese gaming industry to have hear character in Smash because it pushes these companies further ahead. I don’t think Sakurai has anything against western gaming, necessarily. However, I do think he does love Japanese gaming, the industry he himself is a part of, and is striving to make Smash the best representation of that that it can be.

D

Deleted member

IT IS HAPPENING.
jojo.gif

NEW CHARACTER COMING SOON! LET'S GO!
E3 HYPE!!!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I know your post isn't really about it, but I'm curious; what disconfirmed that cereal leak? Am I missing something or did new information discredit it?
Supposedly, a user on Twitter quoted it by saying they know who leaked it, to which Push tagged PG, to which PG commented that evidently somebody already took credit for it.

D

Deleted member

I’m just sick of it. You all know why. You guys at least know that posting about this upsets me, so why do you keep doing it when you KNOW your upsetting at least one board member.
because people are gonna talk about current gaming news on a forum dedicated to a video game, especially if one of the characters from said game is involved in said gaming news

it's like if some hypothetical person here hypothetically hated kasumi

we don't hypothetically stop posting about kasumi just because of this hypothetical person that hypothetically exists

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
What even IS the cereal leak?
It was a 4chan text "leak" claiming some sporadic stuff. Namely: DK Jr. is an upcoming NES online game to be announced on May 7, Nintendo will announce SNES games for their online service, Banjo is in Smash (and the next character, I think?), and Tetris and Lucky Charms are collaborating on a new Tetris cereal.

It's kinda weird, tbh.

D

Deleted member

So last night a few things happened. First, the cereal leak from PapaGeno’s, and that has now been shown to be fake. (Another reason to not latch onto leaks)

Second, me, @tehponycorn , @Arcanir , and @Pyra had a discussion on western 3rd parties coming to Smash. While good points were made by either side, i’d like to present a bit more, but throw time from @PushDustIn . We does a better job here than I did last night.

He was able to communicate what I was struggling with.

https://twitter.com/pushdustin/status/1124847357147865088?s=21

If you follow that link, it’ll take you to a recent thread of the exact discussion. It’s similar to what I said, but it’s a better argument.

It’s not that Western 3rd parties can’t happen. But Sakurai has done quite a bit for Japanese gaming, has received rewards for what he has done for Japanese gaming, and has tons of connections within the Japanese gaming industry. He picks 3rd parties of Japanese origin for a reason.

This is probably why we’re getting Dragon Quest.
I think Sakurai directly approaching Atlus for Joker signifies that he always tries to actively communicate with third parties. In interviews he's mentioned that he was actively discussing with Nomura for the entire development cycle of Cloud, and when there's a language barrier I think that active communication becomes a lot harder to achieve.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
What should I do then.
First of all, you need to find a way to calm down when topic that upset you arrive, I know it's easier said than done since I myself get triggered by some topic I won't go over, but just like, take some water, go on another thread for a while, watch a video that make you happy, take some rest, go outside to take a walk, etc...anything small or big that make you able to put your anger away is a good thing to have when you're easily triggered is what I'm saying.

Last edited:

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Whining to a whiner is still whining, no matter how rude you are.
This is honestly a logical fallacy, it's like a milder version of saying that opposing bigots is bigotry.

But of course I can't drink that tea without someone trying to spit in it.
See, this is why I never bring up Sonic and have slowly slinked into an anxiety fueled state where I'm terrified whenever someone actually brings the franchise up despite actually liking it and wishing I could talk about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
dude

that was like 12 years ago
And still actually funny because it doesn't exist for the purpose of ****ting on something. A meme's length is irrelevant. As long as it's good. Never mind that again, it evolved beyond one usage which is what made it good. And the Sonic movie memes weren't even good in the first place.

Yeah it isn’t funny anymore, but if people like memeing Sonic then I will let them.
It was never once funny to begin with. I'll still call out it out each time regardless because they're just bad ideas from the start.

At least there was something good, like comparing two similar ideas, or valid criticisms of his design. There's nothing good anymore to do.

i mean the fact that they're trying to improve the almost universally panned design means that the "obnoxious whining" has accomplished something

just because a complaint is in meme form doesn't make it any less valid or legitimate

people wouldn't be ****ting on it if they liked it, after all
Actually, a complaint in meme form does make it less valid and illegitimate. It's because it's worthless information to them. It doesn't explain a single useful thing.

They want actual information of the issues. Nostalgia pandering like the blue arms is barely worth listening to. Stuff like the teeth not even remotely fitting his character and being a little too creepy is a valid point. The shoelace thing, one of the few valid points brought up otherwise, is another one worth listening to. The electricity thing is not a bad point in itself, but that would require an entire rewrite and it's not unbelievable enough to matter. The gloves definitely make more sense than furry hands, and it fits Sonic's design better. The lack of gloves is weird, so my only guess is they had an easier time animating what they wanted to portray or something. That said, outside of the teeth, I've found the Detective Pikachu designs far creepier as realistic. But I kind of have a weird opinion of what's creepy or cute, so eh. And this particular point I wouldn't even call a criticism. Just a preference. The problem is most are shoehorning their preferences in instead of valid criticism. I didn't even know Sonic was CGI from the start, which is why I was okay with the furry hands. It was an easier costume to work with. To say the least, I dropped that point because it made no sense once I knew what was going on.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It was a 4chan text "leak" claiming some sporadic stuff. Namely: DK Jr. is an upcoming NES online game to be announced on May 7, Nintendo will announce SNES games for their online service, Banjo is in Smash (and the next character, I think?), and Tetris and Lucky Charms are collaborating on a new Tetris cereal.

It's kinda weird, tbh.
DK Jr. is upcoming though according to the site.

The leak is fake regardless

D

Deleted member

I know the Grinch leak set a high bar but I'm not sure going for a cereal theme is gonna take off quite as well.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904

Freedom of speech doesn't work that way!

Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being criticized for being an ass, it just protects you from being dragged to jail for it. Freedom of speech does not protect you from social consequences, it is not a get out of jail free card for not having people judge you for being a terrible person.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
DK Jr. is upcoming though according to the site.

The leak is fake regardless
I think the trailer for the NES games happening on May 7th isn't too crazy of a guess anyway since those trailers always show up pretty early in the month. So if it happens, I don't think the leak deserves merit.

If the Tetris cereal thing happens though, only then does it have a shot at being real.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That’s funny.

Seriously though. Blood Plasma is a real thing. It’s this dark-yellow liquid They separate from the blood. Then they give you back the blood mixed with saline. It looks like kool-aid afterward it’s so bright red.

Of course, mine was white, powder blue, and light pink.
Oh I'm well aware as I was pretty good at biology but it's the only time I heard of people referring to blood as plasma

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is honestly a logical fallacy, it's like a milder version of saying that opposing bigots is bigotry.

But of course I can't drink that tea without someone trying to spit in it.
Fine, I'll fix it. "Don't say '**** you' if you're trying to make your argument presentable."

There's your tea, sis. With saliva included.

And still actually funny because it doesn't exist for the purpose of ****ting on something. A meme's length is irrelevant. As long as it's good. Never mind that again, it evolved beyond one usage which is what made it good.
Memes exist for the purpose of anything it's designed for. It's like, 90% subjective in creation and distribution.

And the Sonic movie memes weren't even good in the first place.

As long as no one is penalized for enjoying them then you can own that thought. I only got involved because I thought someone was about to get hit for having some wrongthink.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Can you really blame Sonic fans for being tired of how it's suddenly cool to constantly dunk on Sonic? Yes the brand needs to sort **** out but it's like Sonic fans aren't allowed to enjoy things.

For the record I recommend the new IDW comics, only have the first Trade Paperback but it's good and it has Blaze do stuff while showing she's a lesbian icon so that's good

D

Deleted member

Actually, a complaint in meme form does make it less valid and illegitimate. It's because it's worthless information to them. It doesn't explain a single useful thing.

They want actual information of the issues. Nostalgia pandering like the blue arms is barely worth listening to. Stuff like the teeth not even remotely fitting his character and being a little too creepy is a valid point. The shoelace thing, one of the few valid points brought up otherwise, is another one worth listening to. The electricity thing is not a bad point in itself, but that would require an entire rewrite and it's not unbelievable enough to matter. The gloves definitely make more sense than furry hands, and it fits Sonic's design better. The lack of gloves is weird, so my only guess is they had an easier time animating what they wanted to portray or something. That said, outside of the teeth, I've found the Detective Pikachu designs far creepier as realistic. But I kind of have a weird opinion of what's creepy or cute, so eh. And this particular point I wouldn't even call a criticism. Just a preference. The problem is most are shoehorning their preferences in instead of valid criticism. I didn't even know Sonic was CGI from the start, which is why I was okay with the furry hands. It was an easier costume to work with. To say the least, I dropped that point because it made no sense once I knew what was going on.
people don't need to explain every little thing they dislike in something when they complain about it

imo this:
ad88520.jpg

is just as valid as someone saying "i don't like the design"

it's just a general statement of disapproval

now it's not offering specific criticisms of the design, like the godawful teeth, the blue arms, the ****ty shoes, the general uncannyness, etc etc but people aren't required to list off everything they don't like about something when they complain about it

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Freedom of speech doesn't work that way!

Freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being criticized for being an ***, it just protects you from being dragged to jail for it. Freedom of speech does not protect you from social consequences, it is not a get out of jail free card for not having people judge you for being a terrible person.
Hey, DM me if you ever wanna talk Sonic. I legitimately like the franchises

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Trying to flip a "no u" card doesn't work when the overall argument is "whining about whining is also whining ergo I should be able to whine without consequence."
i never whined tho

Can you really blame Sonic fans for being tired of how it's suddenly cool to constantly dunk on Sonic?
honey it's been cool since 2006

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know your post isn't really about it, but I'm curious; what disconfirmed that cereal leak? Am I missing something or did new information discredit it?
Supposedly, a user on Twitter quoted it by saying they know who leaked it, to which Push tagged PG, to which PG commented that evidently somebody already took credit for it.
It was PolarPanda who discredited it actually.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
And still actually funny because it doesn't exist for the purpose of ****ting on something. A meme's length is irrelevant. As long as it's good. Never mind that again, it evolved beyond one usage which is what made it good. And the Sonic movie memes weren't even good in the first place.

It was never once funny to begin with. I'll still call out it out each time regardless because they're just bad ideas from the start.

At least there was something good, like comparing two similar ideas, or valid criticisms of his design. There's nothing good anymore to do.

Okay, but you need to realize you're not the arbiter of good taste.

Movies are a visual medium. They're meant to look good. The majority of people tend to think the Sonic design for the movie is atrocious, and as such, the complaints are absolutely valid. He looked terrible, so they're fixing him. Ergo, the information wasn't "worthless," no matter how much your try to state your opinion as fact.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Can you really blame Sonic fans for being tired of how it's suddenly cool to constantly dunk on Sonic? Yes the brand needs to sort **** out but it's like Sonic fans aren't allowed to enjoy things.

For the record I recommend the new IDW comics, only have the first Trade Paperback but it's good and it has Blaze do stuff while showing she's a lesbian icon so that's good
It's not even "suddenly" cool.

It's been constant dunking SINCE SONIC 06 RELEASED. FOR A DECADE AND A HALF. This is just dumping extra fuel on the fire, the majority of the people that haven't been driven out of the fandom by now are either part of the problem or too jaded to care. And then there's me, who's just SICK OF IT.

I've just hit this point of holy freaking CRAP long before this film was even announced as a concept.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I think the trailer for the NES games happening on May 7th isn't too crazy of a guess anyway since those trailers always show up pretty early in the month. So if it happens, I don't think the leak deserves merit.

If the Tetris cereal thing happens though, only then does it have a shot at being real.
Although you are correct in that a trailer is likely dropping May 7th, I was referring to how DK. Jr, along with Clu Clu Land, and Vs. Excitebike, are already listed on Nintendo's NES Online site.

So it seems this leak just builds off this info.

D

Deleted member

also let the record state that i actually really enjoy sonic's good games (like generations and mania), and i grew up with the little ****. pretty sure i have hundreds of hours on sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog even though those games aren't even good

i just want my mans back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom