• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well:

Modern setting

Government cover up

Cryptids

Those are all pretty common to SMT due to the UMA race of demons having things like the Chupacabra in it, and "Muh government coverup" is usually how the game can rationalize the demons invading without all of society going to ****.
I don't know why I even tried.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
I gotta kill some time so

Current favorites:
Youtuber: "What's up guys Im PheonixMaster1"
Game: Xenoblade Chronicles
Movie: Thor: Ragnarok
Sweet treat: None
Drink: Diet Coke/Water
Meal: Torta de Bistec
Developer: None
Pokémon: Steelix
Activity: :V

osby

Smash Obsessed
"Liked", past tense?
Yes, keep up the good work and maybe you can even get present and future tenses.

Pffft.

No-

Is it that derivative?

I thought I had something that could be unique.

**** maybe I should just can it.
There are a lot of similarities, but I think your main party idea is pretty unique. MegaTen demons aren't really defined characters in general.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Sometimes people need affirmation.
Indeed they do. But I'm just worried that two separate people have come forward with the same question recently. Like, is there somethin' about this place that makes people feel unwelcome or something?

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Is it that derivative?

I thought I had something that could be unique.

**** maybe I should just can it.
Nah.

From what I remember seeing yours wouldn't be a Megaten-like. Comparisons could be drawn, sure, but it's a unique enough take.

Biggest difference is focusing on the cryptids as the central characters. Can't think of a Megaten or spinoff that does that in the same way you're aiming for, because being human-centric (the demons being at least partly reflective of human psychological points) is pretty crucial to the franchise, but not so much on yours.

You're probably closer to something like the Fable comics, or The Wolf Among Us, but using a mythology source material rather than fairy tales. It's honestly mostly unexplored space.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Message taken, don't try to settle your differences with DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon physically, if you can't beat him in a discussion.

Also Marth main part makes more sense now.
Marth is actually part of the reason I got into fencing. Him and the Fire Emblem series really stoked my interest in swordfighting, which got to the point where I decided to try out fencing.

I also needed somewhere outside of school to direct my attention after getting dumped and having a mental breakdown, and fencing was a good way to do that.

Now I fence because I like it, it keeps me in shape, and I have friends in my school's fencing club. My early reasons are behind me, but I still think back on them once in a blue moon.

Shroob

Sup?
So is 4 but things go to **** and everyone knows about it
I mean, can we really call 4 the same as 1?

Since, ya know, iirc, SMT1 is basically 'modern' Earth while 4 is an entirely new plate of the Earth's crust applied on top of the modern world.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't know why I even tried.
Hey, it's not like a story have to be completely novel in every aspect to bring something new.

And as other said, we are talking about superficial similarities rather than important stuff like how you approach to characters or main themes.

Double K

Smash Lord
I mean, can we really call 4 the same as 1?

Since, ya know, iirc, SMT1 is basically 'modern' Earth while 4 is an entirely new plate of the Earth's crust applied on top of the modern world.
4 was literally a dome encasing Tokyo and it was an international event.

SMT mainline series is basically a series of huge disasters that you gotta solve and remembere that in Nocturne, the world is literally overwritten and you gotta fix it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Like, is there somethin' about this place that makes people feel unwelcome or something?
I'll be honest...

A few of our users are a bit standoffish.

That and some off site drama makes the site more hazardous than one might think.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I didn't think I'd actually be able to complete this as I'm trash at picking favorites, but lo and behold, I managed.

Current favorites:
Youtuber:
Incomplete list: Babish, Alpharad, JoCat, CGPGrey, Grian, Mumbo Jumbo, Davvy Chappy, Zee Bashew.
Game: Impossible to choose
Movie: The Blues Brothers.
Sweet treat: Heath bars, Jolly Ranchers, those sugar cookies with about an inch-thick layer of icing plastered on em
Drink: Water, Cheerwine, Sangria
Meal: Seafood
Developer: Nintendo, by volume. I don't tend to follow developers as loyally as games or franchises, but by that criteria they happen to have the most games and franchises I follow.
Pokémon: Eevee, Furret, Mawile, Pikachu
Activity: Writing, Electronics, Games

Shroob

Sup?
I'll be honest...

A few of our users are a bit standoffish.

That and some off site drama makes the site more hazardous than one might think.
I'd say this thread is usually chill.

Usually.

There definitely are moments where tensions boil over, this I'm well aware of for sure.

I don't know anything about off-site though.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Cryptids and there being an organisation that keeps their presence secret just reminds me of The Secret Saturdays.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
More like 5 years, dad.

I went through all of high-school and not once did you ever come to my baseball games.

:drohyou:
He was always there, just far away from the rest of the crowd.

He was just never sure you wanted him there. That's why Dad kept his distance.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Current favorites:
Youtuber:
hbomberguy, philosophy tube, contrapoints, lindsey ellis, big joel, jack saint, i feel like this list is pretty revealing
Game: it's impossible to choose but whenever people ask me my brain goes "metroid prime 2 echoes"
Movie: it's impossible to choose but whenever people ask me my brain goes "do the right thing"
Sweet treat: anything with too much chocolate in it
Drink: piss
Meal: pizza with all available meats on it
Developer: i don't want to say nintendo bc i think indies are more interesting, but i cant pick just one indie, so this space intentionally left blank
Pokémon: unown
Activity: music making, ****posting, videogame, taking lewd pics of myself (get on my level mythra), anything that isn't filling out templates of my favorite things

Shroob

Sup?
Definitely hope I don't come off as too standoffish.

I know I have a couple things that trigger me that I've sprung at before, but I try my best to come off as mellow as possible.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Indeed they do. But I'm just worried that two separate people have come forward with the same question recently. Like, is there somethin' about this place that makes people feel unwelcome or something?
Smashboards is developing it's own popular cliques and for nerds like us, that invokes a certain ptsd

As if very soon were gonna get kicked out of the Social circle

Grian, Mumbo Jumbo
Movie: The Blues Brothers.
I see you're a man of culture

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Smashboards is developing it's own popular cliques and for nerds like us, that invokes a certain ptsd

As if very soon were gonna get kicked out of the Social circle
I mean, you do have a point.

The Social thread is pretty unique in that it's a community within a community. It's basically a character-support thread without a character to support, that actually gets more than 10 posts a day.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I mean, you do have a point.

The Social thread is pretty unique in that it's a community within a community. It's basically a character-support thread without a character to support, that actually gets more than 10 posts a day.
As someone who still gets alerts for the Shantae thread after posting in it once, I can tell you there are exceptions :yoshi:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Social threads get cliquey. It's kind of how these things go. Someone who doesn't feel like a part of the 'clique', intentionally or not, can feel othered in a way that people comfortably in the 'clique' would not.

Plus I've seen multiple moments where a well-meaning individual gets roasted by someone else for a simple personality quirk. If that happens even once it can damage that person's perception of this place as welcoming. So I try to counter it with a concentrated dose of friendliness if I see it. Be a best bro, y'know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom