• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I didn't pick up arms, are the characters so different that they couldn't just be alt costumes like the koopa kids?
Some could work as just alts like Spring Man and Ribbon Girl, but some have too different body types for it to work, and all of them do have some sort of unique ability. They could all be pretty much just echoes of each other though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I made my own personal Cartoons and Anime Tier list. It only contains shows that I've seen enough of to give a rating for.
Littlest Pet Shop: A World of Our Own
Littlest Pet Shop (2012)
Aggretsuko
101 Dalmatian Street
Ducktales (2017)
Ruby Gloom
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure
Phineas and Ferb
Steven Universe
The Super Mario Bros. Super Show
Pokemon X and Y
Unikitty!
Sonic Boom
Pokemon (Gen 1-5)
Sonic X
Super Mario World
Pokemon Sun and Moon
Milo Murphy’s Law
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
The Legend of Zelda
Big City Greens
Feel free to discuss. :3
Please, I'm begging you, watch more shows that are actually good

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Having a disagreement isn't trying to "start ****".
It's really not a stretch. The entire Legacy Virus arc is an exact mirror to the AIDS epidemic and the impact it had on the gay community, plus several of the X-Men themselves are LGBT.

The X-Men as a whole parallel a lot of social issues facing cultural minorities, be it racism, LGBT issues, or any number of things.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I didn't pick up arms, are the characters so different that they couldn't just be alt costumes like the koopa kids?

Kamen Rider isn't inherently political, especially in the heisei era. I don't think beating up X group really counts as being "political", especially in the case of Shocker.
*condemning men for keeping their emotions to themselves
*condemning military which was ESPECIALLY topical back when Build was airing considering Shinzo Abe still wants to increase military power despite the country's objections
*gay rights
*condemning fascist governments and how neonazis easily hide among them
*Shotaro Ishinomori being considered a radical leftist due to his works
*condemning the use of lethal force by police
*condemning the false belief that you can simply talk evil people out of their evil mindset
*condemning incredibly powerful corporations
*condemning the filthy rich
*condemning politicians for pretending to take a stance on serious subjects to get votes but ultimately not care about said serious subjects
Sure, Jan

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
*condemning men for keeping their emotions to themselves
*condemning military which was ESPECIALLY topical back when Build was airing considering Shinzo Abe still wants to increase military power despite the country's objections
*gay rights
*condemning fascist governments and how neonazis easily hide among them
*Shotaro Ishinomori being considered a radical leftist due to his works
*condemning the use of lethal force by police
*condemning the false belief that you can simply talk evil people out of their evil mindset
*condemning incredibly powerful corporations
*condemning the filthy rich
*condemning politicians for pretending to take a stance on serious subjects to get votes but ultimately not care about said serious subjects
Sure, Jan
This definitely seems like a reach. Using themes as a plot point isn't necessarily pushing a political stance.
Also which series was pushing gay rights? The closest one that I can think of is that one character from Wizard and that one from Gaim. Granted, I haven't finished all of the pre-decade heisei ones.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This definitely seems like a reach. Using themes as a plot point isn't necessarily pushing a political stance.
Also which series was pushing gay rights? The closest one that I can think of is that one character from Wizard and that one from Gaim. Granted, I haven't finished all of the pre-decade heisei ones.
For starters the character from Wizard is a transwoman, second, OOO, Gaim, Build and Ryuki have very easy to read as gay characters. Not only was Build hyped up as a 'heated drama between men' but Kamen Rider Raia and Gai have canonically kissed and had sex

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Considering how many people like to act comics were never political back in the day even when we had stuff like Captain America criticizing the US of it's war crimes and drug wars, you're probably right
It's more like the older comics actually tried making plots that had the politics naturally woven into the narrative rather than forcing it in there when it shouldn't be.

D

Deleted member

"Using political themes isn't being political" isn't a stance I ever expected to hear but I guess nerds will go to any lengths to deny that their shows are actually political.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's more like the older comics actually tried making plots that had the politics naturally woven into the narrative rather than forcing it in there when it shouldn't be.
Okay. Granted I don’t know the full extent of this convo. I only just woke up.

But from my experience people tend to only say this about the politics they disagree with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wonder how many people you could find back in the day that claimed the politics back then were forced too. I remember hearing stories about nazis in America threatening Jack Kirby but I don't remember if that was legitimate or not. Cause uhhhh American and Iranian tensions and **** were a huge deal with Batman's A Death In The Family. But sure they're forced now because it's stuff that you object to. Wonder how many people criticizing Marvel for being 'too SJW' feel about modern Punisher

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Okay. Granted I don’t know the full extent of this convo. I only just woke up.

But from my experience people tend to only say this about the politics they disagree with.
It's a matter of nuance, it's one thing to make an allegory to something. It's another thing entirely to just turn the current president into Modok, that's not even being subtle.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
For starters the character from Wizard is a transwoman, second, OOO, Gaim, Build and Ryuki have very easy to read as gay characters. Not only was Build hyped up as a 'heated drama between men' but Kamen Rider Raia and Gai have canonically kissed and had sex
Which characters in build were gay? I'm on the first half of it and I haven't seen any gay activity, unless i missed it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It's a matter of nuance, it's one thing to make an allegory to something. It's another thing entirely to just turn the current president into Modok, that's not even being subtle.
So Captain America saying the drug war is bad and the Cuban war is bad was subtle? Having Joker literally work with the real life ayatollah Khomeini is subtle?
Sure, Jan

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Okay. Our current president has lost all right to subtle commentary. If he’s going to act all cartoonishly evil and inept, then this is how we get to comment on him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Which characters in build were gay? I'm on the first half of it and I haven't seen any gay activity, unless i missed it.
Banjo and Sento have lots of moments building up their relationship with the cast making comments on it too. It's especially telling Sento doesn't seem nearly as interested with the girls as he is with Banjo, especially with how easy they could have made Sawa's later development turn romantically but they chose to make that platonic

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Banjo and Sento have lots of moments building up their relationship with the cast making comments on it too. It's especially telling Sento doesn't seem nearly as interested with the girls as he is with Banjo, especially with how easy they could have made Sawa's later development turn romantically but they chose to make that platonic
What are you talking about? Because whenever I hear Banjo I only think of Banjo-Kazooie.

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
That sounds like shipperbait more than anything.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What are you talking about? Because whenever I hear Banjo I only think of Banjo-Kazooie.
One of my favourite children Banjo Ryuga
He's also known as Cross-Z and is gay like most of the main cast in Build (seriously the two girls literally share the same bed and one of them has a body pillow of the other which she smooched)

Also **** I can't believe I forgot the bisexual goth girl in Fourze that gave me my gay awakening

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Guys! It's time! It's here! Gangster's Paradise and all!
This is gonna be something else, that's for sure

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Welp... this is the 3rd all-nighter I've pulled this semester to get work done.

Gotta love college... ugh.

Not gonna even bother w/ this real world/comic parallels discussion right now... b/c I'm too tired to process this stuff.

Broke: Liking a character because they have a thicc butt
Woke: Liking a character because they're actually very well designed and have a good amount of personality.
Bespoke: Liking a character b/c they're well designed, have a good amount of personality, and have a thicc butt.

D

Deleted member

On ARMS, the core gameplay was actually pretty fun imo, but it’s just way too lacking in content. It really could have benefited from some sort of single player campaign. It’s a new IP, a fighting game at that, we need some sort of context for these characters to get introduced to them. They did well with what they had but it’s a shame, especially since the game has so much personality otherwise. See them giving in lore reason for various nerfs and buffs
3A548DDD-0970-494B-A6C4-FD053F1D5323.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Is it wrong that I actually like this. I mean yeah, the design doesn’t really animate well, but it just.... feels like Sonic to me. It’s got the same energy and personality I remember from Colors, Generations, and the Sonic Boom Cartoon. Plus, I think Jim Carrey is really acting the part of Eggman well. Even if he’s not overweight (yet) that iconic personality everyone loves him for is all there.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

It looks better than I expected, but that doesn't say anything. At least Sonic and Dr. Eggman's designs aren't that bad in action.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
>Sane
>Smashboards Ultimate Social Thread

Choose one.

The two cannot exist together unless it is in the sentence "the Smashboards Ultimate Social Thread is not sane" or some variation where the same point is made.
You say that like it isn’t sane...plus anything is better than more Etika being a dumb***
I'm actually proud of my large butt
...I likes ya...and I wants ya...
E12D3610-ACA3-49E0-AF65-B64357A8D0EB.gif

oh

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Is it wrong that I actually like this. I mean yeah, the design doesn’t really animate well, but it just.... feels like Sonic to me. It’s got the same energy and personality I remember from Colors, Generations, and the Sonic Boom Cartoon. Plus, I think Jim Carrey is really acting the part of Eggman well. Even if he’s not overweight (yet) that iconic personality everyone loves him for is all there.
Also. Are we all forgetting the fact that he actually uses the spin dash!

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
OK, the joke with the child at the end make me laugh, I give them that and the fact Jim Carrey look like he is having fun and his design at the end look great.

But otherwise...

Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom