• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I know. I'm just pointing out that a lot of the people who have been constantly complaining about FE's swordfighters are also the ones who hated Corrin getting in Smash.

I don't think those people realize how functionally similar an axe is compared to a sword, or at least in Smash. The weapon is still gonna be swung around the same way a sword would be.

An archer or spear fighter would be preferable.
Or we can just let Fire Emblem rest for a bit and let the other series catch up.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Or we can just let Fire Emblem rest for a bit and let the other series catch up.
It's not even about letting the other series catch up. I just believe there are plenty of better options to choose from before we touch Eldegard or any other Three Houses rep.

You could give me an eleventh Pokemon rep and I wouldn't complain one bit as long as the character was extremely unique.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This is really weird. NRS usually announces their first DLC pack before the game launches, but MK11's is still MIA. That's really strange for them. Makes you wonder how much longer we'll be waiting.

Edit: Oops. Meant to post this on one of my MK forums. I guess you guys can weigh in if you want too.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
This is really weird. NRS usually announces their first DLC pack before the game launches, but MK11's is still MIA. That's really strange for them. Makes you wonder how much longer we'll be waiting.

Edit: Oops. Meant to post this on one of my MK forums. I guess you guys can weigh in if you want too.
>edit
>no 'last edited' message

1556555521657.png

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Schnee's the biggest NRS fan I know so they might be able to provide outlook. I wanted to suggest that it's because they want to wait before demanding money but considering the infamous grind that's blatantly untrue. Perhaps the DLC characters aren't ready yet?

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
The interesting thing regarding Corrin's popularity (I'm late to the conversation) is that when the game first came out Corrin was one of my most encountered characters online. Fire Emblem characters in general were the ones I encountered most, but Corrin was definitely like top five. This was for the first two-three weeks for me.

When I came back to Quickplay in late February, they were all gone.

In my mind, the general community (as in, people outside of our little hardcore fan bubble) actually really liked Corrin. But then they found out she sucked and stopped playing her, while all the other FE swordies kept their players because they're all really good.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't want to get into another Fire Emblem debate, but: I think people put too much weight into what characters hold in their hands.

Yes, Robin and Corrin use their swords a lot, but their specials are reserved to their unique abilities and their swords also have unique properties (two types of swords, charging hitbox). Swapping them for units who only can swing an axe or spear around wouldn't automatically make the roster more interesting.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I mean, if you take out the clones Fire Emblem has 4 unique characters, which is a healthy amount for a series with its' history. The only reason it gets "over-represented" is because the cast is built around humans that often use swords, so there's plenty of easy echo potential.

I get it though. If a person hasn't played the games and has no investment in the lore, it's boring to see 4 characters with super similar moves in a fighting game with such a wacky variety of characters with crazy powers. You can talk about hilts and rush-down fighting all you want; for the average person booting up the game, Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom look mighty similar.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Schnee's the biggest NRS fan I know so they might be able to provide outlook. I wanted to suggest that it's because they want to wait before demanding money but considering the infamous grind that's blatantly untrue. Perhaps the DLC characters aren't ready yet?
It could also be a PR decision to avoid people getting more aggravated about the Towers of Time grind. This game one-ups Injustice 2 in its microtransaction setup so it's possible they saw the backlash coming.

There's also the possibility that development ran behind schedule, and in order to meet their "every two years" timing they had to finish their DLC later and more heavily monetize the in-game cosmetics for day one revenue generation to appease their corporate overlords.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
>edit
>no 'last edited' message

View attachment 213682
You caught me skippy

You can already buy the season pass and the first 6 are included in the Deluxe Edition. Plus, the last two games revealed the first DLC Packs BEFORE the game launched.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

We know Shang Tsung is DLC but that's about it. I feel we could get something this week though, either actual gameplay of Shang or a reveal for some of the other fighters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It could also be a PR decision to avoid people getting more aggravated about the Towers of Time grind. This game one-ups Injustice 2 in its microtransaction setup so it's possible they saw the backlash coming.

There's also the possibility that development ran behind schedule, and in order to meet their "every two years" timing they had to finish their DLC later and more heavily monetize the in-game cosmetics for day one revenue generation to appease their corporate overlords.
Ouch, seeing "Behind Schedule" is rough because turns out someone ****ing DIED at Netherrealm due to their horrible working conditions

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We know Shang Tsung is DLC but that's about it. I feel we could get something this week though, either actual gameplay of Shang or a reveal for some of the other fighters.
I'm personally expecting a "Kombat Pack 1" trailer like we got for MKX and I2 in the next few weeks, followed by a Shang Tsung trailer/release date later in the month, or even next month. Then they'll get onto their usual rhythm.

Ouch, seeing "Behind Schedule" is rough because turns out someone ****ing DIED at Netherrealm due to their horrible working conditions
Wait what!?! This is the first time I've heard anything about this.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly after having it in my hands for a full week, I can say that on the whole MK11 feels disappointing.

I still like it, I'm glad I bought it, but I don't think I'm going to play it for nearly as long as I did MKX. It's possible my opinion was prematurely swayed by the leaking of the DLC and knowing I'm not really interested in any of them, but in general I don't like the roster as much as MKX or MK9, I don't like the Towers of Time, I don't like the custom moves and multiple currencies, and while the story mode was fantastic as usual, I can only really play that once.

It's a good fighting game but there's way too much Injustice that bled into my Mortal Kombat. MKX is still my favorite one.

D

Deleted member

I'm personally expecting a "Kombat Pack 1" trailer like we got for MKX and I2 in the next few weeks, followed by a Shang Tsung trailer/release date later in the month, or even next month. Then they'll get onto their usual rhythm.

Wait what!?! This is the first time I've heard anything about this.
Only source I can find is this https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/netherrealm-employee-may-have-died-during-injustice-2-crunch and at the top they clearly retract their statement and say they were misinformed.

Crunch at Netherrealm is a big issue though.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly after having it in my hands for a full week, I can say that on the whole MK11 feels disappointing.

I still like it, I'm glad I bought it, but I don't think I'm going to play it for nearly as long as I did MKX. It's possible my opinion was prematurely swayed by the leaking of the DLC and knowing I'm not really interested in any of them, but in general I don't like the roster as much as MKX or MK9, I don't like the Towers of Time, I don't like the custom moves and multiple currencies, and while the story mode was fantastic as usual, I can only really play that once.

It's a good fighting game but there's way too much Injustice that bled into my Mortal Kombat. MKX is still my favorite one.
I couldn't disagree more. I was never even planning on doing Towers of Time and I love the roster. So many of my old favorites came back and I adore the newcomers. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Corrin is a divisive character but they aren't unpopular.

Corrin was 5th for males and 1st for females in Fates' Japanese popularity poll so it's not like they are popular because of Smash, though it helps of course.

Incidentally, I always found it funny when people complain about FE characters in Smash being too samey and the first thing they suggest is cutting one of the least samey characters.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Only source I can find is this https://www.gamewatcher.com/news/netherrealm-employee-may-have-died-during-injustice-2-crunch and at the top they clearly retract their statement and say they were misinformed.

Crunch at Netherrealm is a big issue though.
Crunch is a big problem in the entire industry. And it's hard to be a paying fan when you know every AAA game you buy was probably made with terrible working conditions.

But really, they should take a longer break after this one. Don't release Injustice 3 in two years. Take more time, experiment, do something new and give your employees a goddamn break.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
'Guess who just saw Endgame with his sister?

I'm not going to talk about my feelings on the movie right now, since there is like so much that happened and that I want to rest for a bit, but man....
rex cry.png

What a movie.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I couldn't disagree more. I was never even planning on doing Towers of Time and I love the roster. So many of my old favorites came back and I adore the newcomers. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Yeah it's absolutely my personal opinion, not an objective analysis.

None of the newcomers interested me in the way MKX's did. They almost don't... look like they belong in Mortal Kombat. They look like Injustice OCs. And the classic characters they brought back (and will bring back via DLC) aren't the classic characters I personally wanted.

I like how they experimented with mainstay movesets and in general I think I like the fundamental gameplay changes, but there's nothing hooking me. I'm not finding myself itching to play this game. That makes me sad.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't want to get into another Fire Emblem debate, but: I think people put too much weight into what characters hold in their hands.

Yes, Robin and Corrin use their swords a lot, but their specials are reserved to their unique abilities and their swords also have unique properties (two types of swords, charging hitbox). Swapping them for units who only can swing an axe or spear around wouldn't automatically make the roster more interesting.
The main reason why I'm so hesitant to support FE characters is because I pay attention to more than just the specials. I'm critical of everything. Robin may have been a breath of fresh air, but practically everything outside of his specials involves the sword, which kinda makes him blend in with the rest of the FE crew in that regard.

If we were to get more characters like Corrin - characters with attacks that are so specific to them that there's almost no feasible way they could be cloned - I'd be more on board regardless of how many characters FE had on the roster. For now though, I have the impression that a new FE character would be mostly generic sword swings, but their four unique specials would make everyone but me ignore the rest of their moveset and act like we've never had a more unique character.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The best thing about MK11 is how terfs got hella mad because Sonicfox beat up Sonya while saying "TERF!" whenever Geras hit Sonya and because of twitter's deliberate bias to people with checkmarks on their accounts, Sonicfox's tweet cannot be considered harassment

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

None of the newcomers interested me in the way MKX's did. They almost don't... look like they belong in Mortal Kombat. They look like Injustice OCs. And the classic characters they brought back (and will bring back via DLC) aren't the classic characters I personally wanted.

I like how they experimented with mainstay movesets and in general I think I like the fundamental gameplay changes, but there's nothing hooking me. I'm not finding myself itching to play this game. That makes me sad.
I can see where you're coming from, even if I don't agree. So many of these guys are my favorites though, and I'm glad they got some spotlight instead of just Mileena, Reptile, and Ermac AGAIN.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
The best thing about MK11 is how terfs got hella mad because Sonicfox beat up Sonya while saying "TERF!" whenever Geras hit Sonya and because of twitter's deliberate bias to people with checkmarks on their accounts, Sonicfox's tweet cannot be considered harassment
Broke: NRS let a terf play Sonya instead of her previous VA
Woke: You can beat the **** out of the terf

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I can see where you're coming from, even if I don't agree. So many of these guys are my favorites though, and I'm glad they got some spotlight instead of just Mileena, Reptile, and Ermac AGAIN.
I think at the very least we can agree that it's awesome Liu Kang finally got to be a bad*** again.

Like, that dude is JACKED now.

D

Deleted member

Hey DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon , and @ShotoStar Hinata Hinata @Zeke The Zekenator @Onereasonanddone, too, since their necks are on the line. I have a concern over the Erdrick bet

My brother ended up not having his 2DS anymore, so instead of paying over $150 to play one game for a dying handheld, can I switch my lose condition to Iron Manning the FE Tellius duology (Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, the Ike games)?

For the record, Path of Radiance isn't particularly ball-busting, but Radiant Dawn is infamous for being long, with giant maps filled with enemies that can swarm you like a colony of fire ants. This is the kind of map you should expect with Radiant Dawn, and it's ****ing nuts.

Iron Man is a run for Fire Emblem that's similar to a Pokemon Nuzlocke run in which if a unit dies, they're gone for good. You cannot reset under any condition and a gameover (Main character dies or you fail a main objective) means you have to start the entire game from the beginning. Because I've never played these games and barely remember the let's plays I watched, I feel it will be a stressful and entertaining punishment. Since TPC is going to be broadcasting his Fates let's play, I can then broadcast a different Fire Emblem game too while creating entertainment whenever I ***** about a unit dying.

PS: Hard mode for Radiant Dawn is labeled as Normal Mode in all English versions of the game while Normal mode is labeled as Easy.

Is this a good replacement for having to play Fates?

D

Deleted member

I can agree on the newcomers, Kollector is really the only one that feels like an MK character. I like Geras but he does feel out of place, and Cetrion really doesn't do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom