• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Wario's icon bugs me, it's so generic. I'd change it to the Wario Bomb or just a bag of treasure to represent the character as a whole.
I actually think the current icon works well enough. Doesn't exclude the Wario Land series, and it's something that most people would automatically associate with Wario specifically (mainly because the number of characters' names starting with a "W' is lacking.)

Plus, it's the icon in virtually every Mario spin-off game, just like Yoshi's egg.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just don't get why Fire Emblem, a soon-to-be-sixteen-game series (not counting spin offs) with consistent releases and a massive cast to pull from, has less characters than Kid Icarus, a three game series with inconsistent releases and a comparatively small cast.

It just seems really disproportionate.
Pit and Palutena are there because of the rivalry with God of War. I guess I could make space for Ike, but I'm not sure who to cut to include him.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I would personally change Megaman, Fire Emblem's and Cloud's logos.

The cog just feels kind of boring and I feel like it should have been Megaman's head, you know the extra life item.

In fire Emblem's case wouldn't it make more sense for the symbol to be you know... The fire emblem?

As for cloud, since he only represents FF7 wouldn't the meteor make more sense as his symbol?
The issue is that there are six different objects in the series called the Fire Emblem, eight with spin offs. It's not just one object.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Speaking of icons, any that you'd change?

Honestly I think they all do a great job at capturing the essence of the series they represent, but if I had to pick one it would be F-Zero. The current one makes it all about Falcon when there's more to it. I'd make it a F-Zero machine or the F-Zero logo condensed to fill the role.
FE and Cloud are the ones I would change.

-There’s no real reason for Cloud to have the FF logo if he only represents FF VII. Especially since they gave Joker a Persona 5 specific logo.

-I know that all the FE characters in Smash use swords. No need to remind me through the logo.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Again, I recognize the behavioural patterns Etika is displaying and it reminds me of my all-time lows. I'd agree if it's mere ignorance but the wording is incredibly malicious, not going to respect that at all
Believe me, I get you. It’s hard reading that sort of stuff when it’s written in such a way.

When it comes down to it though, if somebody feels attacked, they’re waaaaaay less likely to listen. I mean, I know as soon as somebody throws an F or other word, I start tuning them out or viewing them as a jerk.

The intentions are good, no doubt. But it might just go a tad further with kindness!

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
The issue is that there are six different objects in the series called the Fire Emblem, eight with spin offs. It's not just one object.
I don't know much about Fire emblem lore as I only played the 3DS games and warriors but isn't the fire Emblem consistently portrayed as a shield? A shield with a different design on it each time but still.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I would personally change Megaman, Fire Emblem's and Cloud's logos.

The cog just feels kind of boring and I feel like it should have been Megaman's head, you know the extra life item.

In fire Emblem's case wouldn't it make more sense for the symbol to be you know... The fire emblem?

As for cloud, since he only represents FF7 wouldn't the meteor make more sense as his symbol?
I used to think Cloud was fine sense it left it open to represent other FF Characters, but then Joker's was the Phantom Theives logo and I called bull ****.

Also, to those who say there are like, 6 different fire emblems, just use the one that was in Warriors. A fire emblem associated with crossing over between the different worlds in the series.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Not gonna lie, Mario kart not having it's own symbol is something that always bugged me
Yeah - Mario Kart's success as arguably the biggest (unless I'm forgetting something) gaming spinoff could be worth acknowledging

Besides, if Mario Kart was treated as its own series, perhaps it could get it's own rep .... Waluigi :wario:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I just don't get why Fire Emblem, a soon-to-be-sixteen-game series (not counting spin offs) with consistent releases and a massive cast to pull from, has less characters than Kid Icarus, a three game series with inconsistent releases and a comparatively small cast.

It just seems really disproportionate.
Not that I disagree with the Kid Icarus<Fire Emblem logic you're using here, but most of the FE cast doesn't feel like an "absolutely necessary inclusion".

Each character starring in one or two games might help the series when it comes to choosing newcomers in Smash, but it also hinders it when it comes time to cut characters. That's why most people take a huge bite out of FE whenever they're asked to whittle down the roster to 30-40 characters.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
You know that there’s multiple versions of the Fire Emblem right?

The sword I believe is the symbol because in most games it’s alongside the title, if not on the boxart then on the title screen.
E577CF35-1796-42E5-BCCD-B44071CCAFFF.png

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Okay, then who do I add on the PS side to make up the difference?
Hades, Ares, Baldur, Father Gascoigne, Gehrman, Delsin, Fetch, Sully, Sam Drake and Deacon St. John are a few that come to mind without going into the third party franchises with Vergil, Nero, Wesker, Yu Narukami, Noctis etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Not that I disagree with the Kid Icarus<Fire Emblem logic you're using here, but most of the FE cast doesn't feel like an "absolutely necessary inclusion".

Each character starring in one or two games might help the series when it comes to choosing newcomers in Smash, but it also hinders it when it comes time to cut characters. That's why most people take a huge bite out of FE whenever they're asked to whittle down the roster to 30-40 characters.
No, people always want to remove Fire Emblem because they want to cut characters they don't care about. Why is it that every goddamn time someone goes "We need to cut characters!" they try to spin in to make them sound sophisticated and as if it's an absolute necessity to cut the character you don't like? SnakeFighter's reason I can buy because she's trying to get some duality themings with Playstation

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Thr only people I can think of are the Persona 3,4 or 5 protag. I dont really know many Sony play station characters
Maybe....
Hades, Ares, Baldur, Father Gascoigne, Gehrman, Delsin, Fetch, Sully, Sam Drake and Deacon St. John are a few that come to mind without going into the third party franchises with Vergil, Nero, Wesker, Yu Narukami, Noctis etc.
This gives me more to work with. I will evaluate the options and decide to add alongside Ike

I cut out most of them because, from my perspective, the popular ones (Chrom and Roy) are clones, and the unique ones are rather one note and unpopular (Ike, Robin and Corrin). But if people want Ike then I guess there isn't much harm in including him.
You know that there’s multiple versions of the Fire Emblem right?

The sword I believe is the symbol because in most games it’s alongside the title, if not on the boxart then on the title screen.
View attachment 213672
I just looked at each of the Fire Emblems on the Wiki, and the Binding Sheild is the only one with any sort of unique and interesting design IMO. Plus it was used in marketing for Warriors.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
wouldnt Kingdom Hearts fit in the Playstation group? If so, you got a lot to pick from

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Maybe....

This gives me more to work with. I will evaluate the options and decide to add alongside Ike

I cut out most of them because, from my perspective, the popular ones (Chrom and Roy) are clones, and the unique ones are rather one note and unpopular (Ike, Robin and Corrin). But if people want Ike then I guess there isn't much harm in including him.

I just looked at each of the Fire Emblems on the Wiki, and the Binding Sheild is the only one with any sort of unique and interesting design IMO. Plus it was used in marketing for Warriors.
Actually, Ike is so popular that in an official Japanese poll he ranked as the most popular Fire Emblem character. The same thing happened with Fire Emblem Heroes in which Ike made the top 5 of 'most popular male characters' TWICE as Path of Radiance Ike and Radiant Dawn Ike were counted separately like other multi-game characters. I believe Robin ranked in the top 10 for both 'most popular male characters' AND 'most popular female characters' too

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
No, people always want to remove Fire Emblem because they want to cut characters they don't care about. Why is it that every goddamn time someone goes "We need to cut characters!" they try to spin in to make them sound sophisticated and as if it's an absolute necessity to cut the character you don't like? SnakeFighter's reason I can buy because she's trying to get some duality themings with Playstation
People have been playing those "What if the roster only had X characters" since forever. It's just something that people do for fun or to kill some time.

And even if the user is really just using the game as a way to take out their aggression on FE, I'm sure even dedicated FE fans would have a hard time justifying more than four characters on a roster of forty or less.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
If we need an icon that represents all of Wario - Ware and Land - I'd suggest his nose + mustache

It's weird enough to suit the spirit of the series' and is relevant to both

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know much about Fire emblem lore as I only played the 3DS games and warriors but isn't the fire Emblem consistently portrayed as a shield? A shield with a different design on it each time but still.
The Binding Shield is the most common portrayal in part because it was Marth's version of it, so it appears in both Archanea games, their remakes, and Awakening. The Shield of Flames in Warriors also takes inspiration from this version.

But in Genealogy of the Holy War, it was the crest of House Velthomer. In The Sacred Stones, it was the titular Sacred Stone of Grado. For Binding Blade and Blazing Blade, it was a gemstone that unlocked the Binding Blade. In the Tellius duology it's Lehran's Medallion. In Fates it's literally Corrin's Yato. In Tokyo Mirage Sessions it isn't even a physical object, but the Opera of Light.

You could theoretically change the icon to the Binding Shield, but it really doesn't make the icon any more representative of the series, since every game with the Binding Shield has Falchion too.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Ike...unpopular? In what dimension?

Robin is not unpopular either.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Actually, Ike is so popular that in an official Japanese poll he ranked as the most popular Fire Emblem character. The same thing happened with Fire Emblem Heroes in which Ike made the top 5 of 'most popular male characters' TWICE as Path of Radiance Ike and Radiant Dawn Ike were counted separately like other multi-game characters. I believe Robin ranked in the top 10 for both 'most popular male characters' AND 'most popular female characters' too
Looks like Ike was the right choice then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only FE character on the roster who I'd argue is unpopular is male Corrin.

Which is almost ironic, because he's the only FE character so far who doesn't rely on a sword for a majority of his moveset.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Given the face of the series (according to Smash, at least) is Marth, all the sword fighters in the game are based on Marth, and a majority of the spirits are just Marth palette swaps, I think the Fire Emblem series icon should just literally be Marth's portrait.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
People have been playing those "What if the roster only had X characters" since forever. It's just something that people do for fun or to kill some time.

And even if the user is really just using the game as a way to take out their aggression on FE, I'm sure even dedicated FE fans would have a hard time justifying more than four characters on a roster of forty or less.
I'd justify it easily, because they're the characters I enjoy more. It's not just 'limit the roster to this amount' but also a while ago some dude went "GUYS CUT CHARACTERS YOU DON'T LIKE FOR CHARACTERS YOU DO LIKE I CUT THE FIRE EMBLEM CAST!" acting like it's some revolutionary take and that it's justified because it'd give them their favourites. Shishœ's the only person who did this kind of thing right and it was "Would you sacrifice your main for a character you want?"

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860

I'd say at least one of the Awakening trio would count as a necessary inclusion, being a part of the game that help bring FE into the mainstream as well as being prominent characters for crossovers and special appearances should count for something.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Given the face of the series (according to Smash, at least) is Marth, all the sword fighters in the game are based on Marth, and a majority of the spirits are just Marth palette swaps, I think the Fire Emblem series icon should just literally be Marth's portrait.
It's literally just Marth's sword.

Close enough.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Based on the options I've been given, I'm stuck between Sora and Deacon St. John. One is a promotional pick that Sony will likely want to push very hard, but the other is a plethora of licensing nightmares. Which do I choose?

I'd say at least one of the Awakening trio would count as a necessary inclusion, being a part of the game that help bring FE into the mainstream as well as being prominent characters for crossovers and special appearances should count for something.
Considering two of them are clones, I'd have to go with Robin. But beyond that I'd feel like there was a bit too much Fire Emblem.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The only FE character on the roster who I'd argue is unpopular is male Corrin.

Which is almost ironic, because he's the only FE character so far who doesn't rely on a sword for a majority of his moveset.
I mean, what weapon someone wields doesn't automatically make them a good or interesting character.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
In terms of what they bring to the table, Robin should be the easy winner out of the three.

I don't know who is the least popular character is (I'm guessing it's not Lucina though), but I'd like to think Sakurai would keep Robin just because of how unique of a swordfighter he is. I don't think we'll ever be in that position though since the other two are Echoes and relatively simple additions.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, what weapon someone wields doesn't automatically make them a good or interesting character.
I know. I'm just pointing out that a lot of the people who have been constantly complaining about FE's swordfighters are also the ones who hated Corrin getting in Smash.

"I hope we get Edelgard in smash. She has an axe"
I don't think those people realize how functionally similar an axe is compared to a sword, or at least in Smash. The weapon is still gonna be swung around the same way a sword would be.

An archer or spear fighter would be preferable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom