• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
By "recognizable as a penny", I mean recognizable as a concept.

Even if nobody on Earth recognized it as such, it is still a penny, and thus would continue to double in size.
As piece of metal used to exchange for goods and services in a non-barter economy?

Does melting it change the concept enough? It's not exchangeable as money but can be exchanged for money.

Or what about more simply defacing it?

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So as molten copper, it cant be recognizable as a penny because its melted, right?
Unless it still grows because "That molten copper used to be the penny that grows"
In the original scenario, yes, that would work, because it is no longer specifically a penny.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Okay, hard mode: Assume the penny cannot be destroyed. No matter what you do to this thing, it will still be a full, intact penny, and thus will continue to double in size.

What do you do then?
Okay, in that case:

Low earth orbit is 2000km
The diameter of a penny is about 19.05 mm or 0.0001905 km
0.0001905 * 2^x = 2000
2^x =~ 10498687.66
Log2(10498687.66) = ~23.32

So it would take 23.32 days for it to reach low earth orbit, if rested on its edge. Hopefully my sleepy half deluded mathematics isn’t wrong but it almost certainly is lol

Of course, it would get “too big” before then, so maaaaaybe take away like, 5 days. So, 18 days to figure out what to do with it

The answer, obviously, is to put it in Thanos’s *******

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, hard mode: Assume the penny cannot be destroyed. No matter what you do to this thing, it will still be a full, intact penny, and thus will continue to double in size.

What do you do then?
I'd give it to my cats for them to play and nobody would see it again. Presto.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Besides the dumb comic I was excited to do for the thread (and am not feeling it anymore since it seems the gimmick’s popularity waned quicker than I expected), I am actually super into my idea of some of the cast of XC2 being in a band, so lots of art for that. Concept art, scenes, even storyboards for when I decide to animate the first video.

I uh... need to work on a lot beforehand though. Anatomy, control, precision, etc

Even if a fad or something that is over keep the goal in mind (I mean, I'll eventually deliver Chris Griffin in FE Three Houses despite it is a two month old post lol)
The band idea sounds great, just keep the idea constantly on your mind and try to brainstorm it daily at least for 10 minutes, but still take your time to hone the skills you need to apply of course.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
As piece of metal used to exchange for goods and services in a non-barter economy?

Does melting it change the concept enough? It's not exchangeable as money but can be exchanged for money.

Or what about more simply defacing it?
Defacing it doesn't change what it is. A dirty penny is still a penny.

But melting it would indeed make it no longer recognizable as a penny.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

What do you do then?
-damn. :034:

rip my melting idea

Now I got something to think about. as I slee now that my dog came down from this siezure

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
i would sell the penny for Two Dollors "but alek that doesnt accomplish anything" shutt the **** up nerd!!

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

What do you do then?
My boi will still eat it...

Even if he can only eat things at a certain size, which is a reasonable thing to assume, he can still eat it at its initial small size and it'll be all good in his hammerspace stomach, even if the indestructible state of the penny means that he can't change its properties to that of something else... :yoshi:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Well clearly the answer is to melt it.

We don't even need the sun, melt it while it's still small.
That answers the original scenario, yes.

But now I've proposed a new scenario, where the penny cannot be melted or destroyed.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Alternative answer: develop a method to grow flora on the penny, do a Noah’s arc dealio and bring livestock and such onto the penny, and accept it as our lord and land

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Assuming the penny can't be made to stop doubling in size, regardless of what happens, utilising inifinte space could help still help deal with infinitely doubling.

Otherwise, you could send it to a black hole where upon reaching it, time will stop for observers away from the penny. Essentially, everyone would observe the penny having stopped doubling size but inside the black hole, the penny would still be doubling in size, while spaghettified, in an almost alternate universe.

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Alternative answer: develop a method to grow flora on the penny, do a Noah’s arc dealio and bring livestock and such onto the penny, and accept it as our lord and land
Throwin' flat earthers a bone, I see.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
That answers the original scenario, yes.

But now I've proposed a new scenario, where the penny cannot be melted or destroyed.
Thats when It gets hard and the only thing I can think of is shooting it into a black hole. its not melted or destroyed and no one knows where those black holes go

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Assuming the penny can't be made to stop doubling in size, regardless of what happens, utilising inifinte space could help still help deal with infinitely doubling.

Otherwise, you could send it to a black hole where upon reaching it, time will stop for observers away from the penny. Essentially, everyone would observe the penny having stopped doubling size but inside the black hole, the penny would still be doubling in size, while spaghettified, in an almost alternate universe.
So the Rick and Morty method of "having the other guys deal with that ****?" :yoshi:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Defacing it doesn't change what it is. A dirty penny is still a penny.

But melting it would indeed make it no longer recognizable as a penny.
Well you can scratch it enough so machines no longer accept it. At which point, I'm sure most people would also stop accepting it. Then it's just scrap metal.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hinata Hinata
God damn it
I deserve the Nobel prize , not a like followed by ghosting
My scientists developed both solutions, proven, for a whole 30 seconds. Where’s our recognition? Where’s our glamour?

Where’s our dirty science bribe money?

Last edited:

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

A black hole is a unique idea.

Another idea I've heard is throw it on a planet where the days are significantly longer than Earth's. Assuming it begins to follow the new planet's time, it would double at a much slower rate.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

What do you do then?
Definitely not shoot it into the sun. RIP humanity at that point.

Pretty sure the only option is to launch it into space while it's still relatively small (within the first 5-6 days) and then launch a ****-ton of nuclear bombs at it to send it hurtling into space faster than it can grow.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So the Rick and Morty method of "having the other guys deal with that ****?" :yoshi:
No we've dealt with it. We're utilising the extremes of relativity.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Hinata Hinata
God damn it
I deserve the Nobel prize , not a like followed by ghosting
My scientists developed both solutions, proven, for a whole 30 seconds. Where’s our recognition? Where’s our glamour?

Where’s our dirty science bribe money?
Your answer was full of math and facts, and it intimidated me.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Uh. What if we nicely asked it to stop?
People always asking “why penny” and not “how penny”

Well people are asking “how penny” but in more of a “what the **** is making this thing grow” kinda way not a “sup bud, penny for your thoughts?” Kinda way

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Does dissolving it in strong acids counts?
Yes. No matter what you do to it, it will stay a penny, and will continue to double in size.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
A black hole is a unique idea.

Another idea I've heard is throw it on a planet where the days are significantly longer than Earth's. Assuming it begins to follow the new planet's time, it would double at a much slower rate.
It's not the days (a day is time for a planet to make a full rotation) but the progression of time on the planet relative to Earth. Time would have to run slower there when viewed here for it to work. Except the problem isn't solved if you're on that planet and can be made worse if time progresses faster on that planet relative to your frame of reference.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Alternative question:

If you have a penny that shrinks in size by half every day, yet kept the same mass the whole while, how long until I should be worried? Quick answers appreciated, my kitchen is starting to warp

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
What is "Pokemon Rotation"?
It's a run where instead of a team of six, you have a team of up to 30. Its a bit of a slog in older games but Gen 6 and 7 make it easy.

Guidelines of the run:
  • Catch any Pokemon you think would be fun to use, even if it's late game. Add it to your team.
  • Make a box labeled "Rotation" so you never get your squad mixed up with the other Pokemon you catch.
  • Turn EXP Share on. Leave it always on.
  • Make sure to get each Pokemon in your team to max happiness through the touch screen mini game. This ensures your team gets enough EXP to stay at a level needed to progress.
  • Whenever the Pokemon in your box are starting to fall behind, switch out so you can train them. Training them evenly is vital for this run.
I did this for AS and Moon and I got s team of 30 and I barely had to grind and i was always st the level the game intended me to be. Its actually super fun cause you can use so many different battling styles and you never just ignore Pokemon because your team of six was done.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Alternative question:

If you have a penny that shrinks in size by half every day, yet kept the same mass the whole while, how long until I should be worried? Quick answers appreciated, my kitchen is starting to warp
That's a whole 'nother can of worms, for another sleepless night.

But based on the theory of conservation of mass, you should be worried almost immediately.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Alternative question:

*looks at growing penny*
uh..uh
*looks at shrinking penny*
um...u..h
bensw_profile_image_f45bce34eb002f9a_300x300.png

whats wrong with all the pennies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom