• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think this is like, the 3rd aria of the soul remix they've done after P3's Battle for Everyone's Souls and P4A's Margaret Theme.

I don't mind though, it's probably my favorite Persona song out of all the games.
Don't forget Blues in Velvet Room, Electronica in Velvet Room, Poem for Everyone's Souls etc.

That track has a looot of remixes. And (almost) all of them are great.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
also love how they just made stage builder into little big planet

hey, if it works

osby

Smash Obsessed
Slap away, because there's no way this random Japanese girl is gonna get called Jane.
If she's a protag, you can name her whatever you like.

Not to mention, one of your party members is literally a random Japanese girl with a western name.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If she's a protag, you can name her whatever you like.

Not to mention, one of your party members is literally a random Japanese girl with a western name.
Uhh, Ann Tamaki? Isn't she like part American? Or Lisa Silverman who's also part American?

MainJPW

M.T.A
>pixiv

Good lord, what did you have to dig through to get these?
Actually? Not a lot of treacherous digging, just looking at Nintendo/Mario/Smash Bros. and “-ette” (...mostly sfw) art through “related works” and found some good Yoshi stuff.

...My recommendations were 100% Hatsune Miku. Good.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Like a goddamn bomb.
Almost like... we never saw it coming.

Oh god shoot me.

So, as a Persona fan, on a scale of 1-10 how pleasantly surprised are you that we got music from P3 and P4, as well as a Teddie costume along with Minato and Yuu costumes?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Oh god shoot me.

So, as a Persona fan, on a scale of 1-10 how pleasantly surprised are you that we got music from P3 and P4, as well as a Teddie costume along with Minato and Yuu costumes.
11/10, more than I ever expected, both fulfilling all my expectations, and surprising me in numerous ways.

If the 4 other characters are even half as well-done as Joker, fans of those characters are in for a treat.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
11/10, more than I ever expected, both fulfilling all my expectations, and surprising me in numerous ways.

If the 4 other characters are even half as well-done as Joker, fans of those characters are in for a treat.
honest to god i'm just wondering how they can even top this

like this might be the most well-realised a character has ever been in smash, 1st and 3rd parties alike

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

Can we talk about the fact his neutral special is literally called "Gun"

osby

Smash Obsessed

Oh god shoot me.

So, as a Persona fan, on a scale of 1-10 how pleasantly surprised are you that we got music from P3 and P4, as well as a Teddie costume along with Minato and Yuu costumes?
Idon Idon put it the best, they went above and beyond my expectations. P5 is already great by itself but I can play as a Minato cosplayer in P3 skinned Mementos? Sign me the **** up.

Even just this one justified buying the whole pass for me.

KMDP

Smash Legend
What do you think about him? Great, awesome or perfect?
GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING!

I'm not sorry, but my first thought when I saw the Teddie Mask.
More seriously, though. Joker looks great, in every sense of the word.

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

like this might be the most well-realised a character has ever been in smash, 1st and 3rd parties alike
It helps Sakurai being a fan of Persona and all

Hoping that the other fighters in the pass get this much love and attention to detail

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Honestly? They probably won't come close.

Joker is a product of am actual fan rather than a man who just knows what's iconic and/or popular. Sakurai knew all the ins and outs, the subtleties, and the hype additions, that's far beyond what is required from a business perspective and the extra work he and his team did shows very clearly. Joker is a moveset you would probably read on MYM with all the details intricacies and variations.

Honestly, at this point the only character I expect to get even half as much love would be Erdrick if he's a secret Dragon Quest fan.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
My thoughts:
  • Joker looks fine as a fighter. Never played Persona 5 (or any Persona game, for that matter), but it's really nice they went all the way with the DLC and made many nods and references to its source material.
  • Geno and Chocobo Mii costumes return when Erdrick or any SE character who's brave enough to not be Erdrick drops.
  • Multiple layers in Stage Builder is a fantastic addition. Stages can now feel more alive and be more diverse. Makes me wish I could actually draw.
  • Smash World is something I'm not interested in.
  • Editing videos, I don't know if it already was in For U, is nice for the people who want to make highlight videos of their fighters.
  • While this may mean a general Direct won't come until E3, I can still see a Mario Maker 2 one happen, because I doubt Nintendo would only talk about that game only two weeks max before its release.

Shroob

Sup?
I kinda agree.

I'm not saying that the other 4 characters won't get love but...

Like, Sakurai took heavy inspiration from Persona 5's style into Ultimate. He loved the game and gave it top billing.

KMDP

Smash Legend
the mystery of jane captured in an image
Conspiracy Theory, "Jane" will be revealed as an Alt/Echo of Joker in a free update when Persona 5: The Royal is officially covered in more detail.
Can we talk about the fact his neutral special is literally called "Gun"
Everyone knows "Gun" is one of the Quintessential elements of the universe.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Conspiracy Theory, "Jane" will be revealed as an Alt/Echo of Joker in a free update when Persona 5: The Royal is officially covered in more detail.
it's a rocky theory but it's all i've got

inb4 sakurai accidentally leaves her files including model and render in the game tomorrow because he wants to add her without an update

osby

Smash Obsessed
GOOD! GREAT! AWESOME! OUTSTANDING! AMAZING!

I'm not sorry, but my first thought when I saw the Teddie Mask.
More seriously, though. Joker looks great, in every sense of the word.
I know a big fan of Teddie who'll probably be happy about him getting a costume (and I unironically think he's one of the best Persona characters, that also helps).

Honestly? They probably won't come close.

Joker is a product of am actual fan rather than a man who just knows what's iconic and/or popular. Sakurai knew all the ins and outs, the subtleties, and the hype additions, that's far beyond what is required from a business perspective and the extra work he and his team did shows very clearly. Joker is a moveset you would probably read on MYM with all the details intricacies and variations.

Honestly, at this point the only character I expect to get even half as much love would be Erdrick if he's a secret Dragon Quest fan.
Helps that Ultimate UI is inspired by P5, so his additions were rather seamless.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Y'know I was playing Roy a bunch because I was able to pretend I was Nero and could MAX Act all my attacks, but now Joker has a stand that not only comes out for certain attacks, but all of them supplementing and changing their properties like DMC4 Nero's Devil Trigger.

Also he has rainstorm from Dante so...

I'm probably another bandwagon Joker main.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I know a big fan of Teddie who'll probably be happy about him getting a costume (and I unironically think he's one of the best Persona characters, that also helps).
I'm happy to get the Tails Mii Costume back.

If I ever play online with a Mii Fighter, it's going to be as my Personal Mii wearing the Tails head that doesn't actually cover his face.

Last edited:

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Stage builder looks sick. Reminds me of Little Big Planet. Being able to draw with squares is a huge improvement over Smash 4's and being able to make your own backgrounds makes making visually impressive stages that are also somewhat playable possible. I still hope you can assign playlists to them instead of songs, because right now playlists seem like an unneeded and somewhat pointless feature. Downloading them looks a lot better as well, you don't have to trawl through Miiverse.

Honestly Joker doesn't look that broken. He relies too much on a counter and both of his recoveries look pretty gimpable. He could end up being low mid tier honestly. But it's hard to guess, we'll have to see the damage and knockback on his moves. After all that's the only reason Peach and Wolf are so broken. I'm also worried he could keep combos going forever with tether, but it looks like it comes out at an awkward angle so likely not.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
therapist: morgana with realistic ear fur isn't real, he can't hurt you

morgana with realistic ear fur:

1555494343490.png

D

Deleted member

Oh but God, holy crap. Joker looks phenomenal, as a fighter and as a character. My only issue with his inclusion is that I can’t fully appreciate it due to not having been able to play P5. AHH, I love it!

Last edited by a moderator:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Honestly Joker doesn't look that broken. He relies too much on a counter and both of his recoveries look pretty gimpable.
Oh, his grappling hook looks plenty gimpable. As an Ivysaur player, I'm telling you that Pikachu/Pichu mains are going to have a field day with him.

His winged recovery though? Yeah no. It goes farther then Inkling's and has invisibility. Have you tried to gimp an Inkling before? It ain't easy, and even if you do hit them they'll often still be able to recover if they aren't hit by a kill move.

It's too early to say if he's broken or not either way though, we'll have to wait and see.
But it's hard to guess, we'll have to see the damage and knockback on his moves. After all that's the only reason Peach and Wolf are so broken.
This undersells all the things that make those two so good. Wolf's amazing mobility, zoning, and range all play a part to how good he is, and I'd argue that they're even more important to him then just his raw power. Peach has an insane combo game which can be started off of a midrange projectile of all things, and while she may not be particularly fast her float does give her unique mobility options.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom