• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, my issue with Joker is his Persona being restricted to this weird counter system.

It's far too passive and risky for my taste, any mechanic that relies primarily on the enemy messing up to activate seems like risky endeavor.

It also doesn't help that it's an auto activation and can't be held like KO Punch or Limit, which is unfortunate. Seems like you're going to have to gamble a lot if you want to activate it on your own terms unlike Cloud who can just boost it on command.

Luckily, his gimmick seems to supplement his already stellar moveset rather than be over-reliant on it and weakened overall without it unlike Shulk.

D

Deleted member

I'm starting to think of a reason why Persona 5 is in Smash, now. Interesting article on the current situation with Japanese developers and Sony, especially interesting going into the PS5, now.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm starting to think of a reason why Persona 5 is in Smash, now. Interesting article on the current situation with Japanese developers and Sony, especially interesting going into the PS5, now.

It's honestly weird as all hell.

Nintendo used to be 'the prude' of the industry, now it's friggen Sony.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
So I've been thinking of trying to do the Wacky Stages tournament again (since Noone entered last time)
Would people be down for that?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Honestly, my issue with Joker is his Persona being restricted to this weird counter system.

It's far too passive and risky for my taste, any mechanic that relies primarily on the enemy messing up to activate seems like risky endeavor.

It also doesn't help that it's an auto activation and can't be held like KO Punch or Limit, which is unfortunate. Seems like you're going to have to gamble a lot if you want to activate it on your own terms unlike Cloud who can just boost it on command.

Luckily, his gimmick seems to supplement his already stellar moveset rather than be over-reliant on it and weakened overall without it unlike Shulk.
Joker?

Gambling?

Never.

:p

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
So... Joker has only one victory screen? And why is it so weird? I guess Persona fans can explain that to me?

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
me, a few weeks ago: "god i hope we get more than 2-3 songs without vocals"

sakurai, an actual intellectual:

D

Deleted member

It's honestly weird as all hell.

Nintendo used to be 'the prude' of the industry, now it's friggen Sony.
It’s cause they’re on top now and Nintendo has suffered a real failure with the Wii U. Nintendo realises it has to be less restrictive with third party devs, while Sony is in a position where they can afford to be prudes.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well there you have it, folks.

I expect old-school retro text-boxes, NES Sound Effect hitsounds, and little percent numbers popping off people, like so:
Joker?

Gambling?

Never.

:p
Well everything you do in Smash is gambling.
Just some gambles are safer and some pay off more and some do both.

Sitting still with your glowy blue flames while Ganondorf and his giant sword are ready to flatten you into a delicious pancake sounds like a gamble most people wouldn't take.

Last edited:

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Well there you have it, folks.

I expect old-school retro text-boxes, NES Sound Effect hitsounds, and little percent numbers popping off people, like so:
The number popping would actually be sick as hell

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So... Joker has only one victory screen? And why is it so weird? I guess Persona fans can explain that to me?
technically, he has three

there's his regular one from P5, the morgana catbus one (not sure how that's triggered?), and if you win the game with an all out attack final smash, the splash screen stays into the victory screen

Shroob

Sup?
It’s cause they’re on top now and Nintendo has suffered a real failure with the Wii U. Nintendo realises it has to be less restrictive with third party devs, while Sony is in a position where they can afford to be prudes.
I mean.

As far as PC platforms go Steam's on top and.... well we know how much of a dumpster fire the steam store is.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If he's on mementos, he will have his running animation locked due to the music and color change of the victory screen.

However, on other stages, he'll probably have 3 victory screens as per usual, one of which being running, the other being the bus.

He has a unique 4th one if he wins via final smash so that's neat.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
technically, he has three

there's his regular one from P5, the morgana catbus one (not sure how that's triggered?), and if you win the game with an all out attack final smash, the splash screen stays into the victory screen
Thanks for answering! Sounds interesting. I still hope Persona 5 is coming to Switch, I really want to pick it up but I don't have a PS4 nor interest in picking one up.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Anyways can't wait to go online tonight and farm gsp off people trying out [new character] for the first time

D

Deleted member

I mean.

As far as PC platforms go Steam's on top and.... well we know how much of a dumpster fire the steam store is.
Yeah, but I feel like Valve just has a lax attitude to everything. Valve’s different from companies like Sony in that they don’t have to do much at all to make a profit, unlike companies which have to develop, promote and market their consoles. Plus perhaps being a western company helps.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aw man I just realized the potential for an FGC pick for EVO.

Man it'd be so sick to see someone like Sol Badguy in Smash...

Well it'd probably be Ragna, but hey, he's cool too, just more on the blood and less on the fire.

KMDP

Smash Legend
The biggest question, if they do that, is whether the hit numbers will be 1:1 accurate to the percentage dealt, or slightly inflated to reflect the damage scaling of of Dragon Quest.

Because while it'll be hilarious to hit a character and see it say "1.2", it'd probably be better to have it say "12" instead.

D

Deleted member

Can’t wait for somebody to make a new Pokefloats in Ultimate and right what has been wronged.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Can’t wait for somebody to make a new Pokefloats in Ultimate and right what has been wronged.
After seeing how versatile this stage builder is, I wanna remake all the missing stages

Including Pyrosphere with a massive Ridley, sort of like this

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Odd question, but what’s a cache?
A collection or storage, often hidden out of view.

In this context, it's a collection of images stored on a browser to speed up time loading websites you've visited.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Odd question, but what’s a cache?
your browser saves images from websites it regularly visits so that they load faster the next time you visit them. Sometimes you have to clear this if new images are added to that website, like for example, character icons on Smashboards.

D

Deleted member

It's basically where all the items/pictures you viewed on the internet are stored. If you can't see the Joker icon (:ultjoker:), it means your cache is full and you need to clear it...
I can see him, so I should be all good. Thanks! :)

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Oh, his grappling hook looks plenty gimpable. As an Ivysaur player, I'm telling you that Pikachu/Pichu mains are going to have a field day with him.

His winged recovery though? Yeah no. It goes farther then Inkling's and has invisibility. Have you tried to gimp an Inkling before? It ain't easy, and even if you do hit them they'll often still be able to recover if they aren't hit by a kill move.

It's too early to say if he's broken or not either way though, we'll have to wait and see.

This undersells all the things that make those two so good. Wolf's amazing mobility, zoning, and range all play a part to how good he is, and I'd argue that they're even more important to him then just his raw power. Peach has an insane combo game which can be started off of a midrange projectile of all things, and while she may not be particularly fast her float does give her unique mobility options.
The thing is, Dark Pit's recovery is much the same yet is considered bad and gimpable at high level because of the lack of a hitbox. And I have gimped Inklings before (though I admit Falco, Shulk and Dark Pit have above average edge guarding, it's probably harder for say Mario), it's far safer than gimping say Ike or especially Wolf. The lack of a hitbox means more than you might think.

And while those traits are what make Wolf and Peach good, it's the insane damage and knockback that push them into 'broken'. Wolf was the same character in Brawl, yet he was far from broken. While the increased hitstun benefits combo characters like Peach, you could say the same about others like Shiek and Bayonetta. That they get ~10% from a such a non-committal move as a projectile is pretty insane. Even without the whole "float aerials do fullhop damage" thing, Peach's aerials do just a little too much damage, and this is compounded by being a combo based character. She can delete an entire stock if she gets a crosstich, bomb or Mr. Saturn, which happens way more often than you'd think considering how often she can pull turnips.

Wolf can kill at 110% using one of the safest and longest side tilts in the game, or he could do the same with his dash attack that crosses up shield. If he lands a more conventional kill move, such as a Smash or Bair at 70%, you're dead. His side smash is one of the fastest yet safest in the game yet still hits like a truck. He has the kill power and weight of a heavy, without the large hurtbox, poor recovery, speed or framedata of one.

Anyway, PP being bad gives me hope Joker won't be a similar case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom