• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
So like, leveling up and casting spells and ****. But you don’t have to give the enemy a turn and you could beat their face in before they even throw out any attack.

Do they have an easy mode?
if by "easy mode" you mean normal mode, yes. But personaly.its best to play a game without easy mode once in a while.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Does SMT 3 have methods against roms?
Not that I know of. My last emulated run didn't have any issues but graphical ones that I had to google to fix, though Shroob's had an experience with an anti-piracy measure apparently removing a staircase from a maze preventing progress, though you'll have to ask him for details.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh you might not realize it, but you've stumbled upon a 3 decade old argument of proper genre classifications.

Ultimately, it falls down to public consensus on what a game is.
Great. Just perfect.

Can we just agree turn based battles suck?
Generally, a Role-Playing game has you leveling up, building stats, collecting armor/weapons, in a story where the worlds fate usually revolves around the player or players character.

Stats and story are a big part of what makes an RPG an RPG. It's some of it's defining traits.
By your definition Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are RPGs. I think the definition is broken.
if by "easy mode" you mean normal mode, yes. But personaly.its best to play a game without easy mode once in a while.
But why? Dying and loosing isn’t fun. I play video games to feel badass and powerful. If I wanted to feel like a weak looser who gets their ass kicked i’d Go pick fights on the street.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Can we just agree turn based battles suck?
No.
Because I like them..

Sometimes.

Anyway SF64, I think you'd actually really enjoy Dragon's Dogma, which is a a RPG with real time action.
Also you can cling onto giant monsters and climb to their weak spots to attack them directly, so that's ****ing awesome.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No.
Because I like them..

Sometimes.

Anyway SF64, I think you'd actually really enjoy Dragon's Dogma, which is a a RPG with real time action.
Also you can cling onto giant monsters and climb to their weak spots to attack them directly, so that's ****ing awesome.
Alright. I’ll look into it then.

Shroob

Sup?
Not that I know of. My last emulated run didn't have any issues but graphical ones that I had to google to fix, though Shroob's had an experience with an anti-piracy measure apparently removing a staircase from a maze preventing progress, though you'll have to ask him for details.
It was the Assembly of Nihilo iirc where my game said "Nope".

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
But why? Dying and loosing isn’t fun. I play video games to feel badass and powerful. If I wanted to feel like a weak looser who gets their *** kicked i’d Go pick fights on the street.
You have a very werid view on games. You play games to have fun, not to fufill your power fantasy

Not every game needs an easy mode.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh god why? I’m legitimately curious. What about turn based battles is fun to you?
This may come as a shock to you, but some people like things you don't like.

Some of us like taking the time to strategize between turns in RPGs. We also don't think they're too slow or monotonous. Just because you can't satiate your bloodlust through RPG combat doesn't mean RPGs are inherently bad.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Oh god why? I’m legitimately curious. What about turn based battles is fun to you?
I personally think turn-based combat can be a great way to make games that revolve around, or at least reward, strategy. I see a good turn-based game as a sort of puzzle that you can come up with your own solutions to solve.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
It was the Assembly of Nihilo iirc where my game said "Nope".
Well, I actually got through that myself like 3 months back and I can't find this issue online anywhere.

confused jack frost.gif

I think it's more likely you just got a corrupted rom somehow or something.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Also, I hereby motion to change the Fire Emblem series symbol to the actual Fire Emblem.
There are literally six different Fire Emblems throughout the franchise, and eight if you include spin-off games. You'd run into the exact "problem" that exists now, so there's no reason to change it from the Falchion.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By your definition Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are RPGs. I think the definition is broken.
Mmm, no. You don't build your stats in DMC or Bayonetta. You earn currency to spend on abilities...

NieR: Automata is the closest thing to a Hack 'n Slash RPG there's ever been so I recommend that one for you big time.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
There are literally six different Fire Emblems throughout the franchise, and eight if you include spin-off games. You'd run into the exact "problem" that exists now, so there's no reason to change it from the Falchion.
I dunno, I honestly think changing it to the Crest of Flames or Binding Shield or whatever would work better. It's the major plot macguffin to every single game in some way shape or form and the shield's a good recognizable symbol that represents that macguffin.

Same with replacing Shulk's Monado with the Zohar symbol, but in Shulk's case it at least is the titular "Xeno Blade."

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You have a very werid view on games. You play games to have fun, not to fufill your power fantasy

Not every game needs an easy mode.
I have fun by fulfilling that power fantasy. I like to feel strong and badass and sexy. These are things I can’t get IRL so I turn to video games. And I have fun doing that.

And even still. Like I started my initial point with. I don’t think loosing and dying is fun.
This may come as a shock to you, but some people like things you don't like.

Some of us like taking the time to strategize between turns in RPGs. We also don't think they're too slow or monotonous. Just because you can't satiate your bloodlust through RPG combat doesn't mean RPGs are inherently bad.
I can understand that. And kind of respect it. But I just don’t like them.

This whole conversation started by me just saying I didn’t like a genre. I don’t even know why we’re fighting.

D

Deleted member

I’m legitimately curious. What about turn based battles is fun to you?
The strategy that can come with it. There are moments in RPGs that don't just come from being Batman in Arkham City.

From what I remember playing from DQ 9, I had a ton of fun growing stronger, exploring the world set around me, and overcoming challenging bosses through my growth and strategies. When I had my brother playing with me, doubly so because we were both sharing the journey.

For Paper Mario, the charming presentation combined with active actions being necessary add active effort to each battle. Plus it's not usually about the individual battle, but overcoming the entire dungeon without blowing all of your resources.

Persona 4 combines amazing writing, an interesting double-life setpiece, and strategic gameplay into one. You have to try to get results and trying is fun when the writing is amazing, the soundtrack is blissful, and the combat is easy to grasp. My only complaint would be the difficulty spike with the first dungeon boss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
This whole conversation started by me just saying I didn’t like a genre. I don’t even know why we’re fighting.
Because in saying you don't like the genre, you were rude to people who did.

"Can we all agree turn based combat sucks?" "Oh god why? What about turn based battles is fun to you?" "The gameplay is just trash."

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
For me, I like to take my time and plan out every move. Turn-based was always the most fun for me. I do like to play other kinds here and there, and Battle Gauge is a nice mix between the fast-paced action while still being turn-based. Quest 64 is one of my top favorite games, and it's nice and slow. It has a unique battle system, catered to the N64 overall. The game isn't for everyone, and the battles can happen way too often. There's no feasibly way to figure out the RNG of enemy drops. There's no money or equipment. However, this also means you have to rely on drops or treasure chests for items. In other words, no powering your way through. Exploration is at an all-time high. Of course, the dungeons could be way better designed, no doubt. Many things look too similar and you get no real map. It's a flawed game for sure. It does make up for this, despite the eh story, with very nice Music for midis, very unique character designs(outside of a small set of palette swap enemies, almost everything is a unique model. Well, items have that issue too, heh), and a very vibrant world(despite the low polygon rate). It does have enough NPC's to tell some nice lore, and an actual mysterious female character who lays a key role throughout the entire story, as well as being exposition. Now, I won't lie; my personal score for the game is 3/10. But that's more of a reasonable score, not so much about personal enjoyment alone.

I probably won't pick up FFVIIr if it isn't at least Battle Gauge. I can still play Shining Soul if I want a more action-based battle system, or either Tales of Symphonia.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Well of Souls was a turn based MMO that I so dearly miss. I had at least 800 hours in it. The expansiveness... the chill community.... the ability to make yourself look like anyone or anything...
20190223_220247.png

I'm old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom