• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
No. I call it “not so subtle”.
Heh.

To be FAIR

The Japanese concept of objects turning into Yokai on their hundredth birthday makes the key chain thing entirely fair game.

If you wanna ask about the ice cream pretty sure that one's designer actually has an active Twitter account and answers questions about Pokemon design philosophy, assuming the crazies in this barely-above-Sonic fandom haven't driven him off by now.
Can’t I make a joke? :V

Also, what’s the excuse for literal garbage? :V

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That...

sounds...

horrendous....
It's the worst RE game. Its only real value is the memes that can come from a Dreamcast game trying to make blockbuster action cutscenes.

It also gave us modern Wesker, so there's that.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It's the worst RE game. Its only real value is the memes that can come from a Dreamcast game trying to make blockbuster action cutscenes.

Steve sounds like that one wimp from high school that we all hate.

D

Deleted member

Still a better voice acting than the ones from every Dingo pictures movie.

The game still doesn’t look good doh.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I know that game got remade.

Please tell me Steve got better in the remake.
By remake, you mean Darkside Chronicle, right?

Because it's not a remake, but a on-rails shooting game that serve as a retelling of the event of the game (alongside a retelling of RE2 events and a brand new story that is unique to this game).

Tho, I guess you could say it's the closest to a remake Code Veronica ever got, since it does alter the story here and there the personality of some characters to be much tolerable and less hammy, Steve notably is much less annoying in this game.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done

Controversial opinion.

Modern Wesker is the start of all things that were wrong/still are wrong with Resident Evil and should have remained dead and buried. I almost wish they'd just consider the two remakes a new remake canon and spring from there.

Because once you hit Code Veronica even the good games like 4 are just utterly goofy and stupid in story.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Because once you hit Code Veronica even the good games like 4 are just utterly goofy and stupid in story.
But all the RE games are goofy and stupid in story.

They very much take their inspiration from B movie camp.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
But all the RE games are goofy and stupid in story.

They very much take their inspiration from B movie camp.
Resident Evil 1-3 and the lead up to the destruction of Raccoon City are still very much grounded in reality and not that over the top even when taking from B Horror.

Code Veronica has a cross dressing twin, a superstrong and fast somehow alive Wesker...

4 sees you in a village with parasites and there's a ****** and Wesker is there, and Ada's alive still, your mission is to protect the President's daughter...

5 has Wesker evolve into a full blown supervillain with corny ass speechs and a plan that makes not one big of sense, and a mind controlled Jill.

6 is just a mess with fan fiction tropes like Wesker's son and the Wesker family.

You can pay homage to what inspired you and be grounded.

Code Veronica-7 and spin-offs in between? They're not that grounded. They just turn that corny **** up to 11 and it's part of why they're not scary.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Resident Evil 1-3 and the lead up to the destruction of Raccoon City are still very much grounded in reality and not that over the top even when taking from B Horror.
I dunno.

I think Barry's entire existence makes the early REs uber camp.

2 and 3 I can maybe see, but I always saw it as a campy series that had its scary moments rather then a scary series with campy moments.

I like the former more frankly. RE kind of succeeds cause it has that charm. Not in spite of it.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I dunno.

I think Barry's entire existence makes the early REs uber camp.

2 and 3 I can maybe see, but I always saw it as a campy series that had its scary moments rather then a scary series with campy moments.

I like the former more frankly. RE kind of succeeds cause it has that charm. Not in spite of it.
1-3 are a masterpiece in homage to George Romero in my opinion. Even with Barry's corny dialogue in the first one? You still just have at it's heart a basic story of cops in a mansion uncovering a mystery of science gone wrong.

2 and 3 are great escape stories in a zombie wasteland of a city.

Code Veronica has the resolve of my favorite arching storyline of Claire trying to find Chris, but not much else going for it. I feel like 1-3 just feel more human and real while the later installments are just totally surreal and lose a lot of charm that the series was inspired on...

George Romero.

Because people can kiss my ass with this ''Robert Kirkman invited a zombie story that was about the humans!"

Nah, fam. That was George.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
4 sees you in a village with parasites and there's a ****** and Wesker is there, and Ada's alive still, your mission is to protect the President's daughter...
I don't see how parasites somehow cross the lines while Nemesis was made by using a parasite to control him.

Wesker also doesn't really apparear outside of Ada scenario, so I wouldn't count him much either.

Plus, you can't just ignore the cheesy as heck VA in the older games, that's what make those game so fondly remember in a way, due to how funny some characters-scenes are despite them cleary trying to be serious and played straight, right, Leon "Ada, wait!"S. Kennedy? (also, didn't Ada was shown alive in the end of RE2 anyway? So you can't put the blame of 4 for ressurecting her)

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree that the games became less scary and more over-the-top with time with ridiculous BOW taking over the others, nor that I don't say the older games weren't scary, but saying the older game weren't surreal at time is a bit hard to take when things like the G-Virus exist with all of it's crazy transformation and it's baby parasite that would make the Xenomorph blush, or the freakin' giant alligator that come right out of nowhere to try to eat you in the sewer.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Monsters in a monster story aren't surreal.

The surrealness of the later games doesn't come from voice acting or anything of the sort that you're supposed to overlook anyway, but just straight up story elements.

That's all I'm saying.

1-3 had grounded stories with elements that sure can't exist in our reality but if you're placing yourself in the sake of the realm of 1-3 everything is fairly grounded and just monsters being born through science and taking over a city.

Taking that further than Raccoon proved to be a problem story wise for Capcom, because they'd kill off each threat and the next threat after it would be increasing more cheesy and surreal than that last.

An evil corporation for example? Not that surreal.

A former police captain who now is some sort of god like being with super strength and speed that he got from not dying and all that? Goofy and less realisic.

A guy in the government who was so obsessed with Ada he made another woman into her, killed the President, etc? Goofy, less realistic.

Mind controlled family of rednecks? They sort of got the scary back here, but still surreal compared to the grounded ideas of the original 3's storylines.

KMDP

Smash Legend

The surrealness of the later games doesn't come from voice acting or anything of the sort that you're supposed to overlook anyway, but just straight up story elements.

That's all I'm saying.
You're talking about Suspension of Disbelief.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You're talking about Suspension of Disbelief.
To a degree with some of it, yes.

The rest of it? No. It's more preference for grounded themes and going back to things were a little more human in Resident Evil.

This also applies to Jill, Claire, Leon, and Chris as much as I love them. You can't tell a scary story through the eyes of someone who has seen **** multiple times.

This is why so many horror sequels fail to be scary. The more bad ass your protag becomes? The less threatening the threat is.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
View attachment 208195
I'll give ya a good ten seconds to take them words back.
You know he wasn't talking about Minecraft Steve, right?

That's all I'm saying.

1-3 had grounded stories with elements that sure can't exist in our reality but if you're placing yourself in the sake of the realm of 1-3 everything is fairly grounded and just monsters being born through science and taking over a city.

Taking that further than Raccoon proved to be a problem story wise for Capcom, because they'd kill off each threat and the next threat after it would be increasing more cheesy and surreal than that last.

An evil corporation for example? Not that surreal.

A former police captain who now is some sort of god like being with super strength and speed that he got from not dying and all that? Goofy and less realisic.

A guy in the government who was so obsessed with Ada he made another woman into her, killed the President, etc? Goofy, less realistic.

Mind controlled family of rednecks? They sort of got the scary back here, but still surreal compared to the grounded ideas of the original 3's storylines.
Hmm, I do agree here and there, though, while they didn't choose the best way to go about it with say, Wesker, Umbrella intention were always to create the perfect BOW via either the T-Virus, the G-Virus and the like. Mr.X & Nemesis notably were colossal human that looked more or less human while still being able to think and make decision like one, which make them truly scary opponent for our heroes to deal with (Well, more so Nemesis that Mr.X in the original, in the remake tho, yeah, he is going to give it to ya). So, with that logic in mind, I can see what they were going for with Wesker at first, Wesker being able to get the benefit of powerful BOW without, you know, changing into a horrible monster in the process, and keeping his mind and intelligence intact could have work to make the scariest opponent our heroes could have face (because as we know, human can become the greatest monsters of all at time). Instead tho, we got Agent Wesker doing Matrix-****, which while entertaining (to me atleast), isn't that scary in the slightest, and the cheesy comic-book one-liner he has in RE5 doesn't help either (even if I love them due to D.C. Douglas delivery, and RE5 in general is a game that I take less a horror game and more a really fun action shooter when you play with it someone, so, again, agree with you it's not scary, but I still found value in it).

That all being said, I just hope they don't throw Wesker out of the window in the remake continuity and try instead to make him fit with more realistic tone of it, cause man, I love the big *******, and I be a bit sad if he was just out of the picture for good. :/

D

Deleted member

Getting cast for something then waiting 5,000 years for the owner to get back to you.

Hey, I make cursed images, I get to use ‘em!

KMDP

Smash Legend
To a degree with some of it, yes.

The rest of it? No. It's more preference for grounded themes and going back to things were a little more human in Resident Evil.

This also applies to Jill, Claire, Leon, and Chris as much as I love them. You can't tell a scary story through the eyes of someone who has seen **** multiple times.

This is why so many horror sequels fail to be scary. The more bad *** your protag becomes? The less threatening the threat is.
The thing about Suspension of Disbelief is that it has levels to it.

The baseline level of a series like Resident Evil is that you have to accept that Zombies are possible, but that doesn't mean the story is inherently "silly". Later entries can introduce things that can cross the line set by the earlier entries.

Basically, you are saying that after Code Veronica, the series Jumped the Shark, because it started introducing elements that crossed the line.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Huh.

Yeah I can totally see myself as lawful neutral, actually.

And it's fitting that @faygoshill is the polar opposite of me.
That was totally unintentional, btw

Kinda funny how stuff like that turn out in the end.

I would've normally asked you to help out with this, but I didn't want to bother you and your mod duties.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Alrighty losers, I wanted to do this for a while now, and I spent way longer on it than I should've, so y'all better enjoy it

Here is the Ultimate Social alignment chart
View attachment 208043
Shoutout to @faygoshill for being a big help with this, as it was much tougher than I thought it was gonna be. Thanks a bunch
That was totally unintentional, btw

Kinda funny how stuff like that turn out in the end
So, in your humble and well informed opinion, where do I fall on this Alignment chart?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hmm, Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , if I may ask, what alignment would I be?
View attachment 208201
Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku , what’s my alignment?
Don’t say moral. Just ‘cause I’m a kiddo doesn’t mean I’m pure (even if I am, a bit).
You're both rebel neutral, imo
Btw Ramen Tengoku Ramen Tengoku what was the reasoning behind putting me in Social Neutral? Just asking :yoshi:
Not sure, tbh
I knew I needed to put you somewhere, and I thought social neutral fit you best.
I guess I was wrong... Sorry about that:mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom