• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Or they changed the order because, you know, Joker and the Game Awards have a history

Hang on, you're saying Erdrick can't be considered first because Square would be mad that their DQ push would be for nothing in February but now you're saying that P5 Switch not being confirmed is proof Joker's first? Can't remember the last time I saw such a blatant contradiction

Or they wanted to have an announcement at an upcoming gaming event and one of their potential announcements has a history with said event to promote their game that would quite literally release the next day?

You're ignoring my point, what would Konami's mess have to do with the absence of CastleVania on fanpolls? YOU are using fanpolls as an argument, therefore I believe you should at least have a decent explanation. People didn't hide that they wanted Snake back because of Konami's mess after all. Not to mention there's no source or data shown for the fanpoll, where was it held?
First I used one poll. Which here:

Secondly I stated that if your gonna say one way or another one of those two was changed for promotion reasons. It makes no sense for either. None of their games come out when they would.

Not to mention that it makes no sense to suggest joker to Sakurai from a recent game then bring up this man from years ago. Dlc more then likely is gonna be recent charcters or ones with big requests from the ballot and as we can see slime ranked higher. So why would they suggest and add elderick?
Wasn't there a large portion of the latest direct relegated to DQ?
Yes a perfect time to tease dlc two of elderick but they didn’t

D

Deleted member

my dude there is no goddamn way rex is the most wanted smash character in japan over characters like sora. he's probably top ten, but number one?

and this is coming from someone who suuuuper wanted rex as dlc

this fanpoll wack af

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Secondly I stated that if your gonna say one way or another one of those two was changed for promotion reasons. It makes no sense for either. None of their games come out when they would.

Not to mention that it makes no sense to suggest joker to Sakurai from a recent game then bring up this man from years ago. Dlc more then likely is gonna be recent charcters or ones with big requests from the ballot and as we can see slime ranked higher. So why would they suggest and add elderick?

SANS IS TOP 10 ON THE JAPANESE CHARACTER POLL??

D

Deleted member

So I am "Brave"?
Erdrick is most likely not in. >:]

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
my dude there is no goddamn way rex is the most wanted smash character in japan over characters like sora

and this is coming from someone who suuuuper wanted rex as dlc

this fanpoll wack af
I wouldn’t go that far.

Hell that explains the rex costume. Sakurai knew he was in high demand but the characters were already decided so no rex. The costume was pretty implied to be a constellation prize

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
promotion reasons for TGA, not for the stuff they're promoting - if P5 Switch is really coming, then it'll probably release around the same time as DQ11S anyway

So why would they suggest and add elderick?
because DQ3 is the FF7 of the series in terms of popularity, to the point where its release literally resulted in mass absenteeism from schools, like with halo 3 in the west

also his name is erdrick - e-r-drick, not elderick
please this is driving me crazy

D

Deleted member

I wouldn’t go that far.

Hell that explains the rex costume. Sakurai knew he was in high demand but the characters were already decided so no rex. The costume was pretty implied to be a constellation prize
he's hella up there but he is by far not number one lmao

besides fanpolls are **** anyways

simon/richter didn't even exist according to fanpolls but according to sakurai fan demand was basically the main reason that they're in

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Wait, a few weeks ago people were acting like Erdrick was basically guaranteed, and now you guys don't think he's in? Things change fast. Can anyone give a brief summary? I really feel like there should be a stickied post that goes over any major pieces of info that we find out. So much random posting that I can't physically keep up with the thread.

Roberk

Smash Champion

This poll isn’t most wanted, it’s most expected. That’s why Rex is at the top, lots of casuals expected Rex.

https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/07/15/116161.html

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait, a few weeks ago people were acting like Erdrick was basically guaranteed, and now you guys don't think he's in? Things change fast. Can anyone give a brief summary? I really feel like there should be a stickied post that goes over any major pieces of info that we find out. So much random posting that I can't physically keep up with the thread.
Most people here are still pretty confident in his chances.

The people who don't think he's in are just really vocal about it.

D

Deleted member

Dang, I'm just now realizing how many times I've misread a post here over this past week and then made a dumb response to it that I have to edit later. It's happened like, 3 times now. It's bugging the heck out of me...Ugh. Maybe I need to start wearing my glasses more when I'm at the computer...

D

Deleted member

Never use Smash polls as an example.
The only valid poll is the Smash Ballot, and we never got the results, besides Bayonetta being 1st overall.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
If Fire Emblem had a fighting game, it would be mixed with Samurai Shodowns Neutral/Footsie based gameplay, and Jojo Hftf’s physics (Which is similar to Smash Bros).

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I don't see a vote count, that's a rather important thing to leave out, especially if ****ing Sans gets in the top 10

You're missing the point, it's not "Joker was revealed earlier to promote P5 Switch", it's "Joker was revealed early to be announced at an important western convention which Persona 5 has held significance for in the past"

Erdrick (Not Elderick) is from Dragon Quest III, which if you looked it up you'd find it's essentially Japan's version of the Halo 3 launch, as in, people went ****ing NUTS. Not to mention you don't have ballot results. "Why would they add X if they could add Y?" is a nonargument as it applies to everyone. Why would they add Joker instead of Jack Frost, Yu or Demifiend? Why would they add Ryu instead of Scorpion or Heihachi? It's something people only say to go "Hey here's some characters I'd prefer!"

As others have said, the DLC characters in Smash haven't had tie-in reveals so Erdrick suddenly demanding one is bull**** on your end and again, you want to spread it out a bit, by holding off on Erdrick until later but BEFORE those games launch, people can go "Boy howdy do I enjoy playing as this Erdrick person in Smash! I've never played Dragon Quest before though but lucky for me, there's a new game for the Switch right around the corner!". It's like how Marvel VS Capcom Infinite likely would have sold better had it been released after Black Panther and Infinity War's cinema debuts

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Not much has changed really.

Most people think he’s the most likely choice.

A few people are all-in or all against him.

And then there are a few people (including myself) who are 50/50.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The only valid poll is the Smash Ballot, and we never got the results, besides Bayonetta being 1st overall.
Except she wasn’t lol. Sakurai said she was top 4 in France and the most feasible character everywhere else

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

You do know that's not a popularity list, right?

It's actually a list of "anticipated" characters, or characters believed by the Japanese population to be in. Only the first five characters are ranked, and the rest are all honorable mentions listed in no particular order.

Your argument was flawed from the start.

D

Deleted member

If Erdrick does get in, then I will be happy for the DQ fans. :p

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Except she wasn’t lol. Sakurai said she was top 4 in France and the most feasible character everywhere else
Top 4... In France? Now you're just saying ****.

She was #1 in Europe, among the top 5 in America, and was the #1 choice worldwide "among feasible characters".

D

Deleted member

Remembering that time Joesph beat up a cop and said "**** the police" and how people still think Araki would write a single straight character after Joanathan
I'm curious. Do you guys like any PlayStation franchises? Like, first party Sony games.
Does Metal Gear count?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
For once I have to agree with Shiny. Fan polls are incredibly biased. Read this excerpt from my own The Case for Minecraft Steve and the "Smash Bubble" Effect for elaboration as to why this is so:
One of the most prominent arguments against Steve is that he's not a popular choice among fans, with speculators citing fan poll after fan poll to prove this. One GameFAQs user even said of polls like this,
There doesn't need to be a dozen debates about who's popular and who isn't when we have tons of objective data. Popularity isn't an opinion.
There doesn't need to be a dozen debates about who's popular and who isn't when we have tons of objective data. Popularity isn't an opinion.
Oh GameFAQs how you never cease to amuse me.

All of these polls fall into the same trap of being contained within the "Smash Bubble" as myself and others have coined it. What exactly is the "Smash Bubble" though? If I had to define it, I would as such:
Smash Bubble
noun
The portion of the Super Smash Brothers fandom contained to websites such as Smashboards, GameFAQs, Reddit, 4chan, and other focused websites.
While the contribution of these focused fans isn't to be ignored, as evidenced by K. Rool's immense Ballot presence in part due to the Kutthroat's Ballot Campaign and Sakurai's statements on Ridley and Geno, a flaw of the fanbase at large is a general insistence that those within the Smash Bubble are the only Smash Bros. fans and that by not catering to them specifically, Nintendo is making a mistake. This sentiment completely ignores other fanbases outside of the core fanbase which gave us picks such as Isabelle and Simon Belmont.

"But tehponycorn" you say, "Simon was a popular pick! Sakurai even said so himself!" Take a look at the many fan polls listed above and tell me how many Simon prominently appears on. The answer is 3. While 3/12 may seem like modest popularity, his votes total less than 1,000, and he's listed among many other, more popular third party characters. That hardly lines up with Sakurai's statement of Castlevania being "popular in player polls." So, there's a disconnect between what fan polls show and actual popularity? Why is this?

I propose an explanation in two parts:

First, all fan polls by nature fall prey to Voluntary Response Bias, defined as:
In survey sampling, voluntary response bias occurs when sample members are self-selected volunteers, as in voluntary samples. The resulting sample tends to overrepresent individuals who have strong opinions.
Every Smash fan poll cited majorly falls within the Smash Bubble because those within the Smash Bubble are most inclined to vote on polls like these. Granted, even the official Smash Ballot itself falls prey to this, and indeed those within the Smash Bubble would be much more inclined to vote in an official poll like this, but any bias within it is made up for by the Law of Large Numbers, defined as:
The law of large numbers, in probability and statistics, states that as a sample size grows, its mean gets closer to the average of the whole population.
The official nature of the poll and the advertising conducted for it extended the reach of the poll to even casual fans, which is why it's so important to establish this disconnect. The largest, most recent Smash fan poll as of right now is the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, with over 50,000 votes. In comparison, the Smash Ballot collected 1.8 million votes (360 times more votes), making it much closer to the wants of the entire Smash Bros. fanbase, hence why picks like Simon Belmont can float by the core fanbase largely undetected.

Second, there exists a strong, silent majority of fans outside of the core fanbase that has sway in character picks. People tend to forget that Nintendo tries to market Smash Bros. for everyone, or at the very least, the largest amount of people possible. It doesn't matter if you're a child whose mom bought him a Switch for Christmas or someone who's been with them since the NES, so long as you're a fan of Nintendo you might as well be considered a part of the Smash Bros. fanbase. Naturally, the wider Nintendo fanbase is largely varied, and outside of the Smash Bubble exists many different demographics with different character desires. This is how we end up with picks like Isabelle, who caters to the larger, more casual fanbase who see Isabelle often.

Returning to the Reddit Smash Ultimate Tourney randomized poll, you'll notice that Sora and Phoenix Wright scored better than they typically do in other fan polls, taking 5th and 8th place respectively, and garnering a total 20,883 votes, equal to around 40% of votes in the final round. This is impressive for two characters usually overlooked within the Smash Bubble in favor of other, more popular speculation picks. The poll includes this interesting fact about them:
The characters with the most brigaders were Sora (more than half his voters came from non-reddit referrers) and Phoenix Wright (a third of his voters came from non-reddit referrers)
If a larger reddit fan poll was able to attract people outside of Reddit's r/SmashBros, then a poll as massive as the official Ballot would be able to attract people from all over, giving a skew towards the silent majority, as anyone could vote on it, even people outside of the regular Nintendo or Smash Bros. fanbase.

To make a long story short, there is a silent presence outside of the Smash Bubble. It is large and it is more powerful than many think. While our Smash Bubble is a prominent part of the fanbase, Nintendo has a much wider fanbase to appeal to as well, and the Smash Bubble isn't indicative of Smash Bros. fans in general.
You're ignoring his original point though. Fan polls can't be trusted, and shouldn't be used as evidence for anything else other than popularity within the core fanbase.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm curious. Do you guys like any PlayStation franchises? Like, first party Sony games.
gow rocks

i like spiderman ps4 too

horizon zero dawn was great

and the uncharted games/the last of us obvs

that's basically it for me though

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've been holding off on touching my PS3 for too damn long and I don't have enough games from various franchises to say anything on that. Most of my older Playstation experiences were movie tie-in games. From what I've seen I might have enjoyed MediEvil but not much else. I DO enjoy Yakuza though, and I'm not sure if it's even been on anything BUT the playstation until recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom