• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
What are the sickest things that part of the Smash fan base had done?

I still think the fandom using a tragedy as “evidence” that Issac is coming, and defending pro players who did some really bad stuff, just so they can see them play at a tournament and no other reason is just plain disgusting.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't think this is being taken right.

Joker had more code then Brave did and is releasing first. That's proof alone he was always intended to be first released. This article likely means that Sakurai didn't want to announce him before they had gameplay polished, hence why they improvised with his announcement. Hell another few months went by and we still have to wait for gameplay. Consider how in depth he's got to be playstyle wise, he likely was not ready so they didn't want him announced.

Sakurai doesn't like to show things without the work being there to show gameplay.

So I don't think this changes Joker's order on the pass. He was always meant to be the first character and thus first reveal. So again I doubt the Ederick or DQ rep claims heavily.
The what? I'm confused. So Sakurai says that Joker was practically forced to be revealed at the VGAs. His trailer was made last minute (probably in a month) and DLC wasn't worked on until after Ultimate was released. DLC was also finalized around November. This can be interpreted as, "Since he had to be revealed first, he's now going to have to be the released first." Joker always being the first character to be worked on is definitely not proven in the slightest.

Now tell me, your square enix, you line up your announcements to advertise DQ with Smash, and then Nintendo says **** you, we want to promote joker first.
You do know they said more Dragon Quest content is on the way after February's direct right? Come on, man.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Ok let's entertain this idea.

In this scenario Brave Is Elderick.

Now tell me, your square enix, you line up your announcements to advertise DQ with Smash, and then Nintendo says **** you, we want to promote joker first.

Do you think any company will be ok with this? No it would damage relationships.

There is no way Nintendo changed the order. And in a month's time they still would need to work on brave so he showed have shown more signs of it.
When have they ever lined up a third party with an announcement? There's no reason to assume that here, Erdrick being in smash is promotion in itself.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I don't think this is being taken right.

Joker had more code then Brave did and is releasing first. That's proof alone he was always intended to be first released. This article likely means that Sakurai didn't want to announce him before they had gameplay polished, hence why they improvised with his announcement. Hell another few months went by and we still have to wait for gameplay. Consider how in depth he's got to be playstyle wise, he likely was not ready so they didn't want him announced.

Sakurai doesn't like to show things without the work being there to show gameplay.

So I don't think this changes Joker's order on the pass. He was always meant to be the first character and thus first reveal. So again I doubt the Ederick or DQ rep claims heavily.
Indeed. The only other time we got a reveal for a character before we could see gameplay was Mewtwo in Smash 4, and it was just to say "We're working on him, you can all shut up now" because he was only added after people were loud about it at E3 that year. And that was also a special case because he was a veteran, not an exciting new 3rd party character.

Even Piranha Plant wasn't revealed without gameplay, despite not releasing until three months later.

Nintendo saw the golden opportunity to advertise Joker at the Game Awards, since it coincided so closely with the game's release date, but Joker was only in the planning stages. They probably wouldn't even have a model to show for it. But I think Sakurai did a fantastic job with the reveal, and it really shows his love for Persona 5.

We might get more animated reveals for characters ahead of gameplay, since Joker's went over so well. But the rule for almost 6 years has been to not announce a character unless there's gameplay to show that character, and there's no telling how things are moving along.

Perhaps since all the characters were decided on at the same time, work is being done simultaneously, so reveals and releases will start happening at a quicker pace, though I don't expect anything more than Joker this month and another character in June.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ok let's entertain this idea.

In this scenario Brave Is Elderick.

Do you think any company will be ok with this? No it would damage relationships.

There is no way Nintendo changed the order. And in a month's time they still would need to work on brave so he showed have shown more signs of it.
See, Erdrick isn't IN those games that SE announced so if anything, the fact Erdrick might have been switched is good because it means Square gets to promote DQ then and Nintendo will promote it themselves later on as a reminder that it exists. It's generally good to spread out marketing campaigns instead of throwing it all at once

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
View attachment 205872

The code for Joker and "Brave" was found a month or so after Joker's announcement. So of course Joker would have more advanced code than Brave would, because Nintendo basically forced Sakurai's hand to make him work on Joker first, so Joker had about a month's work put into him before we found his code.

Who's to say Sakurai didn't plan on working on Brave first, but once Nintendo told him "hey, we want to reveal Joker at The Game Awards", he had to change plans?
It’s completely possible that this is the case.

But it’s also possible that Joker was still meant to be first, but was revealed earlier than initially intended.

We don’t have enough evidence for either to draw conclusions.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ok but when your boss says "Hey change the order, we want you to announce this one first" you're gonna listen. Chances are that because of this change, Joker's gotten more priority with development to accommodate for the new release order.
Friendly reminder that fanpolls are garbage. Remember how CastleVania seemingly didn't exist according to the polls yet Sakurai outright stated CastleVania got in because of the ballot to the point he had to choose between 2 characters?
I really doubt Nintendo changed the order. The only reason for this would be to tie in with a game release.

Now tell me, have you guys seen a P5 switch trailer reveal I'm missing? Because I can't find it anywhere. And joker comes out this month. If he was a tied in character, we would have learned of the port by now.

There's no reason to change order and that's honestly just straw grasping without proof.

And castlevania always had support. No one paid attention to it cause Konami was a **** show and everyone thought that if we got snake back it be a miracle, or if we got anyone else it be Bomberman( I'm still sad). Ignoring one of Konami's biggest and longest running series.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
What are the sickest things that part of the Smash fan base had done?

I still think the fandom using a tragedy as “evidence” that Issac is coming, and defending pro players who did some really bad stuff, just so they can see them play at a tournament and no other reason is just plain disgusting.
Yeah, people saying "GUYS SKULL KID/ISAAC/LYCANROC IS IN" because of that earthquake can **** off and so can all the scumbags in the scene. There's also the high quantity of death threats

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
And castlevania always had support. No one paid attention to it cause Konami was a **** show and everyone thought that if we got snake back it be a miracle, or if we got anyone else it be Bomberman( I'm still sad). Ignoring one of Konami's biggest and longest running series.
She's saying Castlevania had little presence in fan polls, not that it had no support at all.

amazonevan19

Smash Ace
Indeed. The only other time we got a reveal for a character before we could see gameplay was Mewtwo in Smash 4, and it was just to say "We're working on him, you can all shut up now" because he was only added after people were loud about it at E3 that year. And that was also a special case because he was a veteran, not an exciting new 3rd party character.

Even Piranha Plant wasn't revealed without gameplay, despite not releasing until three months later.

Nintendo saw the golden opportunity to advertise Joker at the Game Awards, since it coincided so closely with the game's release date, but Joker was only in the planning stages. They probably wouldn't even have a model to show for it. But I think Sakurai did a fantastic job with the reveal, and it really shows his love for Persona 5.

We might get more animated reveals for characters ahead of gameplay, since Joker's went over so well. But the rule for almost 6 years has been to not announce a character unless there's gameplay to show that character, and there's no telling how things are moving along.

Perhaps since all the characters were decided on at the same time, work is being done simultaneously, so reveals and releases will start happening at a quicker pace, though I don't expect anything more than Joker this month and another character in June.
This makes a lot of sense although they are going to have to pick up the pace of announcements if they are going to meet the self-imposed deadline of February 2020.

Joker: Announced December 2018, releasing April 2019 (5 months)
4 more fighters left, if they are all announced and released in 5 month increments, then that means our release schedule is continuing on 20 months from now.

Obviously they are working on multiple characters at the same time because otherwise, there's no way we're getting all the fighters in time. Seems Joker and Brave are the only ones in an advanced enough stage to show up in the code, though.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
are you aware of the best buy listing leak and P5S announcement set for the 25th?
Yes well aware, but the thing is, those would release far out from now. So why move Joker up if his tie in game was to be released later? It would make no sense.
When have they ever lined up a third party with an announcement? There's no reason to assume that here, Erdrick being in smash is promotion in itself.
Except thats the exact reason people are saying Elderick is in, to promote the new DQ.

So you tell me why the would? Every insider and their mother said its to promote DQ in the west.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Obviously they are working on multiple characters at the same time because otherwise, there's no way we're getting all the fighters in time. Seems Joker and Brave are the only ones in an advanced enough stage to show up in the code, though.
Man, imagine if all the DLC characters had shown up in the code last month.

D

Deleted member

There's no reason to change order and that's honestly just straw grasping without proof
bro they like literally revealed him at vga

it's pretty obvious that they might've wanted joker, who's popular among the western audience, to be revealed at a big western event instead of erdrick. while erdrick is incredibly popular in japan, he wouldn't have made as big a stir at the vga as joker did

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
bro they like literally revealed him at vga

it's pretty obvious that they might've wanted joker, who's popular among the western audience, to be revealed at a big western event instead of erdrick. while he's incredibly popular in japan, he wouldn't have made such a big stir at the vga as joker did
Maybe, but if Elderick was to be promoting DQ, why not do it at a a big gaming event in the west? People might not know him, but they could have tried to hype them up that way.

D

Deleted member

See I WOULD feel left out because I'm not on this but at the same time I outright dislike Part 3 so I'm good
Yeah, you're more of a Trish or Jolyne with the whole "disowning dad" thing with some Giorno too if you wanna do necromancy
You keep saying things like "inside the mirror" or "the world of the mirror" but there's no such thing as a world there

D

Deleted member

Except thats the exact reason people are saying Elderick is in, to promote the new DQ.

So you tell me why the would? Every insider and their mother said its to promote DQ in the west.
True, but again, Erdrick is promotion enough. We don't know the timeframe of DQ announcements anyways, they might not have had to move anything if the order was changed and they wanted promotion,

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I really doubt Nintendo changed the order. The only reason for this would be to tie in with a game release.

Now tell me, have you guys seen a P5 switch trailer reveal I'm missing? Because I can't find it anywhere. And joker comes out this month. If he was a tied in character, we would have learned of the port by now.

There's no reason to change order and that's honestly just straw grasping without proof.

Or they changed the order because, you know, Joker and the Game Awards have a history

Hang on, you're saying Erdrick can't be considered first because Square would be mad that their DQ push would be for nothing in February but now you're saying that P5 Switch not being confirmed is proof Joker's first? Can't remember the last time I saw such a blatant contradiction

Or they wanted to have an announcement at an upcoming gaming event and one of their potential announcements has a history with said event to promote their game that would quite literally release the next day?

You're ignoring my point, what would Konami's mess have to do with the absence of CastleVania on fanpolls? YOU are using fanpolls as an argument, therefore I believe you should at least have a decent explanation. People didn't hide that they wanted Snake back because of Konami's mess after all. Not to mention there's no source or data shown for the fanpoll, where was it held?

osby

Smash Obsessed
Maybe, but if Elderick was to be promoting DQ, why not do it at a a big gaming event in the west? People might not know him, but they could have tried to hype them up that way.
Same reason why did they reveal Shulk in a Japan-only direct, really.

D

Deleted member

Yes well aware, but the thing is, those would release far out from now. So why move Joker up if his tie in game was to be released later? It would make no sense.
Theoretically, Persona 5 Switch might release later in the year, similar to Dragon Quest 11 S being released around Fall. They could have honestly announced Joker and Erdrick any time. Doubly so for Erdrick because there are also supposed ports of older DQ games about to head over for Switch. The difference between Erdrick and Joker was who did Nintendo want to reveal at the VGAs? Joker, because it would cause more hype for the DLC world wide. A good first impression means a lot to fans. Remember, Joker's trailer was unexpectedly requested by Nintendo, so it could imply Joker was moved ahead of Erdrick, especially since I doubt DLC was started until after Joker was revealed. Sakurai said they worked on DLC after Ultimate released.

They can just... promote both Persona and DQ, dude. They can also do it outside or inside of Smash.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
you don't get the absolute explosion of hype that joker brought to TGA by showing off erdrick instead, promotional or not - they need someone instantly recognisable, not someone they introduce to a confused crowd and have to spend time explaining who the **** he is

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
If the argument over whether Joker or "Brave" was meant to come first is based on datamined code, it's important to remember that at the time of the decision to add Joker and plan the announcement, Sakurai and his team still had to put the finishing touches on Ultimate and then work on Piranha Plant. Sakurai himself said he wasn't concerned with DLC characters or updates until the full game was finished and released, which explains why it feels like Joker's taken so long.

It's not like Sakurai was working on either of those two characters in November, and was working on one of them in particular when Nintendo was like "Hey, stop that and work on the other one we're announcing first." He was probably scrutinizing the final build of the game and worrying about finishing Piranha Plant long before he was worrying about the code for DLC characters that wouldn't be released or expected until April.

This makes a lot of sense although they are going to have to pick up the pace of announcements if they are going to meet the self-imposed deadline of February 2020.

Joker: Announced December 2018, releasing April 2019 (5 months)
4 more fighters left, if they are all announced and released in 5 month increments, then that means our release schedule is continuing on 20 months from now.

We're getting five characters, starting with Joker in April. Like I said, Joker probably didn't fully begin development until Piranha Plant was finished and released in January/February, so he's been the focus for over two months now.

So if we get one character every two months, then that means we'd be finished by December. February 2020 is pretty late, but that provides a nice buffer in the event that one or more of the characters has complications and needs to take longer.

The reason Smash 4's DLC took so long between releases was because they'd sometimes release more than one character at a time (e.g. Ryu/Roy/Lucas on April 1, 2015), and then there was the ballot which influenced Cloud and Bayonetta's additions. The characters have been decided on already, and are likely going to come out one at a time at a more consistent pace.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
When I was a younger kid in elementary school, this game used to be my jam
hqdefault.jpg

On launch, it had a small roster of Spongebob, Plankton, Kitty Catswell, Skipper, Chum Chum, Timmy Turner, Sheen, Otis, and Monkey from Monkey Quest. However, over time, they would update it to add more modes, characters, and stages. They even added characters from shows off the air, like Jimmy Neutron, and Danny Phantom.

Ironically, default Spongebob sucked ass. The broken characters were Sheen, Chum Chum, Otis, and Classic Spongebob/Ryu Spongebob. King Julien was also absurdbly powerful because even if you interrupted his special, Mort would still attack since he stays in the backround until you activate it. They had to patch it so you could actually hit Mort.

Also, it had a pretty good sountrack, not gonna lie.

Kingslime304

Smash Lord
View attachment 205869
On launch, it had a small roster of Spongebob, Plankton, Kitty Catswell, Skipper, Chum Chum, Timmy Turner, Sheen, Otis, and Monkey from Monkey Quest. However, over time, they would update it to add more modes, characters, and stages. They even added characters from shows off the air, like Jimmy Neutron, and Danny Phantom.

Ironically, default Spongebob sucked ***. The broken characters were Sheen, Chum Chum, Otis, and Classic Spongebob/Ryu Spongebob. King Julien was also absurdbly powerful because even if you interrupted his special, Mort would still attack since he stays in the backround until you activate it. They had to patch it so you could actually hit Mort.

I forgot, we’re the inputs NetherRealm style?

Just a penguin

Smash Master
View attachment 205869

Ironically, default Spongebob sucked ***. The broken characters were Sheen, Chum Chum, Otis, and Classic Spongebob/Ryu Spongebob. King Julien was also absurdbly powerful because even if you interrupted his special, Mort would still attack since he stays in the backround until you activate it. They had to patch it so you could actually hit Mort.

If Timmy Turner can wish for anything he wants, how come he's not S tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom