• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Concerning Erdrick: assuming we get more than 2 songs (Square Enix is stingy right, guys? haha how funny), would the music for Erdrick be just from Dragon Quest III? From just early DQ games? Or could it span the whole series? I guess no one actually knows, but I'm curious as to what people perceive as likely.
Whole series. There are more options through taking from the entire series. Realistically, Dragon Quest 3 only has the overworld, town, dungeon, and battle themes. They would all fit if the stage was Alefgard in its entirety, maybe as a melody like the Paper Mario medley.

I already made a post of ten songs they can choose from DQ. Pretty sure you saw it. I think the sound selection would go something like this with a lot of battle or overworld themes.

4. Erdrick. I like Dragon Quest music. I feel the battle themes will be perfect to represent the series so that'll be most of my focus. You'll notice all of these are taking from the orchestra versions. It's because I want the orchestral soundtracks over the MIDI variants.
First the main theme, Dragon Quest 3 Battle themes including the final boss theme, Great Battle in the Vast Sky, War Cry, Battle For Glory, if Alefgard is a stage then the overworld theme for DQ 3, Any overworld theme from DQ 4, overworld theme for DQ 2, Dragon Quest 9 battle and boss theme, DQ 7 final boss theme.

Hockeyfan44

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shockwv478
I can't stay silent anymore.
I surely can't be the only one who is really disturbed by the fact that the Smash development team elected to have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong represent Bald Bull and Dee Jay in Spirit battles. How is that not racist? It most obviously is. I just want to slam my head on a wall. How did the development team not think this through? Believe me, I'm trying to describe this the best I possibly can, but it's mind boggling.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Opossum Opossum

Final request from last night. Chrom

IMG_4357.jpg

Like Dedede, I didn't reinvent the wheel here.

For those of you who didn't know, last night I said I would redesign the main of anyone who asked. I still want too if anyone is interested.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Whole series. There are more options through taking from the entire series. Realistically, Dragon Quest 3 only has the overworld, town, dungeon, and battle themes. They would all fit if the stage was Alefgard in its entirety, maybe as a melody like the Paper Mario medley.

I already made a post of ten songs they can choose from DQ. Pretty sure you saw it. I think the sound selection would go something like this with a lot of battle or overworld themes.
Okay, thanks. I wasn't sure, since Erdrick is title that appears in several games, but not every game, if I remember correctly. Again no one here knows for sure how the music will be distributed.

I suppose the real concern is if we'll get orchestrated arrangements or not...

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I surely can't be the only one who is really disturbed by the fact that the Smash development team elected to have Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong represent Bald Bull and Dee Jay in Spirit battles. How is that not racist? It most obviously is. I just want to slam my head on a wall. How did the development team not think this through? Believe me, I'm trying to describe this the best I possibly can, but it's mind boggling.
Likely because different countries have different race stereotypes. I need other fans to point out they're considered racist, because that associations don't exist in where I live.

D

Deleted member

Let me reiterate: I need four tributes per user, because this time around I'm making it so that each participating user's getting an entire district/team to themselves. I can't just add you guys on your own. You each need three more tributes to fill out your districts.
Ooo!
Add Evoker, Alphonse Elric, Forrest from FE, Forrest Gump and I.
If that is too much, remove Alphonse Elric.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Back in my day, the only race problems I had in Smash was this:
253561-super-smash-bros-nintendo-64-screenshot-3rd-bonus-stage-race.jpg

D

Deleted member

Bald Bull is a powerhouse who can literally knock you down with one punch in the Punch Out series. I assume DK's being used because DK has a really strong neutral-b and is just strong in general.

Dee Jay is a dude with a lot of acrobatic movement with all limbs. Diddy Kong also fits this criteria. Both do crazy flips in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I'm taking tributes for round two of my Hunger Games Grand Finale now!

I'm not adding any tributes of my own choosing this round, so that at least one member who might miss out otherwise will get a chance to participate in this one.

@TotsBS @TheCJBrine KarneraMythos KarneraMythos Opossum Opossum and @KMDP already have reserved districts for this round, so there's seven districts left to fill. Get 'em while you can! And remember, each participating user is getting an entire district to themselves. Every district has four tributes, so that's four tributes per user. If you want to participate, I need you to nominate exactly four tributes. No more, no less.

EDIT: The slots are filled! No more users can participate in this one. Just giving a warning for anyone who sees this post too late and isn't caught up. I'm not reserving slots for round three right now.
are there still open districts? If so, can you add Cool Typhlosion Cool Typhlosion , Blue Diamond, Mr.Burns, and Marx?

D

Deleted member

It's been discussed before but it never goes anywhere.
Mr. Sandman? Ok, I can buy that as an Unfortunate Accident as there's an ingame link to them being final bosses in Punch-Out.
The black Villager as Tak? The skin changed mid-development and the blue shirt is likely what was used to relate.
But Diddy as Dee Jay? That's when Nintendo should have stopped to think what they were doing and nakes it really hard to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Likely because different countries have different race stereotypes. I need other fans to point out they're considered racist, because that associations don't exist in where I live.
I really don't want to have to post that Japanese ad for bananas featuring a black guy

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I think it's less racist and more of an unfortunate coincidence. Aside from the unfortunate implications, I'd say DK and Diddy both respectively fit Mr Sandman and Deejay very well. Mr Sandman is a burly strong heavyweight, much like Donkey Kong, and Diddy is very acrobatic and his moves can be considered very dance like, which makes sense for Dee Jay. I highly doubt they were chosen because of the monkey comparisons

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Bald Bull is a powerhouse who can literally knock you down with one punch in the Punch Out series. I assume DK's being used because DK has a really strong neutral-b and is just strong in general.

Dee Jay is a dude with a lot of acrobatic movement with all limbs. Diddy Kong also fits this criteria. Both do crazy flips in the air.
Actually, Bald Bull is represented as Little Mac

The original post might’ve meant DK as Mr Sandman

Edit: :ultgreninja:

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

diddy kong also straight up has a boombox, sideways cap and sunglasses in some of his DKC animations

i'm pretty sure this is as far as the 'DJ' reference goes

Teeb147

Smash Legend

They might've been able to use ganondorf for bald bull maybe. (or sandman, if that's it?)
Other than that, it's kinda hard to have perfect reps.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

it's one of those things that definitely didn't have any sort of racist intent behind them but it's still racist

no idea how the localizers didn't catch on to it tbh

D

Deleted member

Actually, Bald Bull is represented as Little Mac

The original post might’ve meant DK as Mr Sandman
Hm. Same difference as far as I'm concerned. Fighting Sandman in Punch Out sometimes feels like I'm fighting a big gigantic ape (which is to say he kicks my ass). Probably could have used Ganondorf for that fight, but I think this is stretching out how racist this actually is. Punch Out has fast heavy weight boxers so use the relatively fast heavy weight character.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Opossum Opossum

Final request from last night. Chrom

Like Dedede, I didn't reinvent the wheel here.

For those of you who didn't know, last night I said I would redesign the main of anyone who asked. I still want too if anyone is interested.
You know Chrom probably would be the type to have a mullet lol. I think that's a pretty good concept for a more westernized Chrom. The one thing I'd add, personally, is the Brand of the Exalt to the right pauldron, since it's an important aspect of his design. Usually it's on display due to him not having a right sleeve in his base design, but usually when Chrom dons full armor it appears on his pauldron. :p

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
i decided to put Pandoria on Rex (so now it’s Pyra/Mythra, Nia, and Pandoria). Might as well collect my favorite story blades in one place. Also Zeke has Zenobia and KOS-MOS so he can deal with losing his girlfriend

D

Deleted member

In other news, a Switch game was announced:

WTF
I doubt it, considering that we have Doc Louis being represented by Little Mac they probably just went for DK to vary things. Plus DK also was a guest in Punch Out for the Wii.
They might've been able to use ganondorf for bald bull maybe. (or sandman, if that's it?)
Other than that, it's kinda hard to have perfect reps.
Considering Ganondorf has a sword now, I dont think he would fit so much.

D

Deleted member

it's one of those things that definitely didn't have any sort of racist intent behind them but it's still racist

no idea how the localizers didn't catch on to it tbh
This is something to remember too, it reminds me of this video I saw about Sister Krone from The Promised Neverland. The depiction ends up being racist but it doesn't mean it was intentional, it's simply an example of how this sort of racism is ingrained into our minds and criticism to these depictions isn't meant to say the creator is a bigot racist, but to make people more aware of it and prevent the issue from happening again.

In this case in particular, the authors of the manga even expressed regret due to how she was depicted and the manga has ever since had many other black characters that don't fall into racist stereotypes which shows they really did learn something.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
G
You know Chrom probably would be the type to have a mullet lol. I think that's a pretty good concept for a more westernized Chrom. The one thing I'd add, personally, is the Brand of the Exalt to the right pauldron, since it's an important aspect of his design. Usually it's on display due to him not having a right sleeve in his base design, but usually when Chrom dons full armor it appears on his pauldron. :p
Gatcha! I’ll keep that in mind.

D

Deleted member

Does Little Mac has anyone to save him in this case? Doubt Doc can do it.
Hilariously, in Mac's Last Stand (the mode in which you can fight Donkey Kong), you go through an arcade-like boss rush where you can only lose three times before Mac officially retires. Legitimately, this could be Mac's last battle before it cuts to the future where Mac is just a remembered boxer. Implications are over the place at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom