• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
also any time someone tries to tell me MCU has bad casting i have to remind them that they literally hired real-life tony stark and steve rogers

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Pokemon puns might be dumb, but it's slightly better than Toriyama naming characters off of stuff he found in the kitchen.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Hang in there man. It's nice to see that you are confident things will get better for you.
It comes with age.

The whole reason I currently live in Oregon is because people I trusted stole over $4000 from me eight years ago. Like, I'm stressed as hell right now, but in the grand scheme of things, everything going on right now isn't even in the top five worst things to happen to me in life. No one's dying, I'm financially sound and healthy, these first world problems will eventually go away because they always do.

Still want to punch something though.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
That game sounds super edgy, and not in the good way.
Sometimes you just gotta learn to accept the edge. Not in a serious way or anything, but take it like you'd take a B-movie like the room.

Yeah, it's edgy and it's campy, but that's what makes it fun.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
It comes with age.

The whole reason I currently live in Oregon is because people I trusted stole over $4000 from me eight years ago. Like, I'm stressed as hell right now, but in the grand scheme of things, everything going on right now isn't even in the top five worst things to happen to me in life. No one's dying, I'm financially sound and healthy, these first world problems will eventually go away because they always do.

Still want to punch something though.
Wait...

You're in Oregon?

Ah yeah, Oregon buddies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Captain America is like Superman. He's an ideal.

He's meant to be a goal to strive for and beacon of hope.

In particular, Cap is what America should be and he takes all of it's best parts while removing its worst.

The comics and MCU both make that clear. He was never some yes man to the government. He's simply trying to do what's right.

If you hate Cap or try to misconstrue him as jingoism, that says more about you then him.
Bruh. Half of Cap's stories have him fighting against the Government because they were doing shady **** or wanted to manipulate him into doing shady ****.

It got to the point where the Government replaced him, cast him aside, letting someone else take his suit. So he had to wear a new costume.

cap_split.jpg

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
So we won't talk about Trunks or Briefs?
Never forget Bulma's name, which in Japan is romanized as "Buruma", aka "bloomers".

Or Bulma's older sister, Tights.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah I just don't act like it. Ohioan from age 5-22.

I have a house just south of Portland.
That's on the other side of the state from me.
Bruh. Half of Cap's stories have him fighting against the Government because they were doing shady **** or wanted to manipulate him into doing shady ****.

It got to the point where the Government replaced him, cast him aside, letting someone else take his suit. So he had to wear a new costume.

View attachment 202958
Trust me, I know. Cap eventually regained his title and fought for the American spirit rather then the country because people sometimes **** up

But if someone is gonna write him off as propaganda, I dont think they'll accept that hes that nuanced.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Pokemon puns might be dumb, but it's slightly better than Toriyama naming characters off of stuff he found in the kitchen.
goku bout to throw down against the cutlery club

knife, fork, and spoon

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
North of you or west of you?

I went to Oregon State for a quarter and my sister and brother-in-law went to Southern Oregon. I've been south quite a bit but never really east.

D

Deleted member

It's been a while since I've seen some genuinely awful hot takes.

The First Avenger is a fantastic film and firmly establishes Steve's character, cementing him as the heart of the MCU. To write it off as nothing more than military propaganda just seems so incredibly cynical and, frankly, ignorant, if not edgy for the sake of it. Captain America was literally created by two Jewish men who were fed up with Hitler and the Nazis and created a character who symbolized American ideals. The cover of the first issue had him decking Hitler in the face which, at the time, was an incredibly controversial political statement, as the US hadn't yet gotten involved in World War II. By definition, yeah, it's technically propaganda. But are you really going to discard something because it's anti-Nazi propaganda? If so, yikes.

It's a story of a man who wants to help, who wants to do what he can to fight back against some of the most vile creatures ever to stain the pages of history, because to him, it's the right thing to do. And he's chosen for the Super Soldier program not because of his brawn, but because of his heart. When he jumps onto the dud grenade at the camp thinking it was live, when everyone else tried to run from it, it established Steve as a hero. And the film doesn't shy away from recognizing wartime propaganda either, with the war bonds and such, so I really don't see what your problem is.

Nor do I think the ending is bad. It's anything but. Steve saves countless lives at what he believes is the cost of his own, only to be in stasis for seventy years and end up revived in the 2010s. He becomes disconnected with the entire world in a way no one can imagine. It's a tragically bittersweet ending. He saved countless lives, his own life was saved, but he became a man out of time.

To write off Civil War because you didn't like Zemo/the Bucky twist is one thing. I think it's a dumb take and I definitely don't agree with it, but I can live with it. But what I can't take is an opinion born from ignorance. To pejoratively write off the literal origin story of Captain America as military propaganda just shows me you couldn't look past your innately biased view of "anything being remotely positive about the US military is the bad." It shows me that you ignored the out-of-universe context which facilitated the character's creation, ignored the struggles of Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, who brought him to life. The movie is literally historical fiction. It's basically a period piece. I'm sorry if World War II existing is too far into the realm of "military propaganda," but it's literally integral to the character. For someone to get their knickers in a twist over a character who is literally a soldier having to fight in a war, I think they're just looking too hard for something to complain about.

So yeah that's my rant lol.

Hol' up B
View attachment 202959

DID ****ING BEST BUY LEAK JOKER'S RENDER?!?!

IT'S BEAUTIFUL. MY BOY IS BEAUTIFUL!
What even is this timeline anymore

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Yall ever realize that almost everyone on the roster has their flowing clothes in a clockwise-counterclockwise way?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Trust me, I know. Cap eventually regained his title and fought for the American spirit rather then the country because people sometimes **** up

But if someone is gonna write him off as propaganda, I dont think they'll accept that hes that nuanced.
Cap's surprisingly interesting for being the Superman equivalent "in-universe".

Spider-Man's still my absolute favorite. His ideals and themes are so deeply rooted into Marvel as a whole. Power and Responsibility. Not to mention he has such a cool set of powers.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
See now that's a leak.

"There's an April direct rumor making the rounds" is not a leak.
I would say this lends proof to an April direct coming up, since the press materials for Joker have already been sent out.

Now if only we could get some ****ing gameplay.

JUST DO IT SAKURAI YOU COWARD

osby

Smash Obsessed
Sakurai just looked at Joker's P5 render and said: "You know... it could me more stylish."

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
All this talk about Cap and I'm here like...I miss Patriot.

*Life Will Change in 2.0 speed starts to play*
Didn't most of the Young Avengers get dunked on? I liked the Radioactive Chick and Mettle enough.

You read all that and went "nu-uh I'm right" ?

That didn't make you reconsider things... at all?
Because it's not ****ting on the US so it's clearly wrong. :rolleyes:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, so on the subject of this Joker render leaking from Best Buy, we may have learned something substantial.

Best Buy was likely given the promotional materials in advance so that they could use the render in their advertisements around the same time that Joker was officially shown. This is from their weekly ad for March 31-April 6, meaning that-- unless someone in their marketing department royally ****ed up-- they were likely allowed to show it by some date on or before April 6th.

It's no longer a stretch to infer that we're getting the 3.0.0 direct/video/whatever this week.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Okay, so on the subject of this Joker render leaking from Best Buy, we may have learned something substantial.

Best Buy was likely given the promotional materials in advance so that they could use the render in their advertisements around the same time that Joker was officially shown. This is from their weekly ad for March 31-April 6, meaning that-- unless someone in their marketing department royally ****ed up-- they were likely allowed to show it by some date on or before April 6th.

It's no longer a stretch to infer that we're getting the 3.0.0 direct/video/whatever this week.
I had a feeling we'd learn news this week. This only solidifies it.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

And likely a Joker release too, given his render being in this one.

but I don't get home for another 20+ days at that point...

osby

Smash Obsessed
Didn't most of the Young Avengers get dunked on? I liked the Radioactive Chick and Mettle enough.
You are talking about Avengers Academy kids, which admittedly have it worse than Young Avengers. You can at least still see Hawkeye, Wiccan, Hulkling and Stinger around.

Hazmat and Mettle are just...gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom