• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
We already got Goku and Gohan in Smash. :ultryu:/:ultken:.
And Ippo. :ultlittlemac:
And Astro Boy. :ultmegaman:
And Speed Racer. :ultfalcon:

Still waiting for Cassern though.

D

Deleted member

I guess.

I'm irrevocably angry and trying to find a distraction. Reading and Fire Emblem weren't working.
Oh? Are you feeling down? I can post some wholesome stuff too!

Wholesome Duster.png

Kirby OK.jpg

ZSS Megaman.png

Kencineroar Hug.jpg
Hopefully that helped some. I hope everything goes okay for you!

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
How is everybody doing?
I want to burn everything to the ground just to enjoy the sight of fire consuming all until nothing is but ash scattered to the wind, fleeting and lost forever.

How're you?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I know these are late but the truth never comes out quickly

First Avenger is a boring slog of military propaganda, in-universe and outside of it with a bad ending.
Civil War is just characters being dumb for the sake of having them fight each other and a villain with an unnecessarily convoluted plot, it could have been good without the whole "Bucky killed my parents" thing
It's been a while since I've seen some genuinely awful hot takes.

The First Avenger is a fantastic film and firmly establishes Steve's character, cementing him as the heart of the MCU. To write it off as nothing more than military propaganda just seems so incredibly cynical and, frankly, ignorant, if not edgy for the sake of it. Captain America was literally created by two Jewish men who were fed up with Hitler and the Nazis and created a character who symbolized American ideals. The cover of the first issue had him decking Hitler in the face which, at the time, was an incredibly controversial political statement, as the US hadn't yet gotten involved in World War II. By definition, yeah, it's technically propaganda. But are you really going to discard something because it's anti-Nazi propaganda? If so, yikes.

It's a story of a man who wants to help, who wants to do what he can to fight back against some of the most vile creatures ever to stain the pages of history, because to him, it's the right thing to do. And he's chosen for the Super Soldier program not because of his brawn, but because of his heart. When he jumps onto the dud grenade at the camp thinking it was live, when everyone else tried to run from it, it established Steve as a hero. And the film doesn't shy away from recognizing wartime propaganda either, with the war bonds and such, so I really don't see what your problem is.

Nor do I think the ending is bad. It's anything but. Steve saves countless lives at what he believes is the cost of his own, only to be in stasis for seventy years and end up revived in the 2010s. He becomes disconnected with the entire world in a way no one can imagine. It's a tragically bittersweet ending. He saved countless lives, his own life was saved, but he became a man out of time.

To write off Civil War because you didn't like Zemo/the Bucky twist is one thing. I think it's a dumb take and I definitely don't agree with it, but I can live with it. But what I can't take is an opinion born from ignorance. To pejoratively write off the literal origin story of Captain America as military propaganda just shows me you couldn't look past your innately biased view of "anything being remotely positive about the US military is the bad." It shows me that you ignored the out-of-universe context which facilitated the character's creation, ignored the struggles of Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, who brought him to life. The movie is literally historical fiction. It's basically a period piece. I'm sorry if World War II existing is too far into the realm of "military propaganda," but it's literally integral to the character. For someone to get their knickers in a twist over a character who is literally a soldier having to fight in a war, I think they're just looking too hard for something to complain about.

So yeah that's my rant lol.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to burn everything to the ground just to enjoy the sight of fire consuming all until nothing is but ash scattered to the wind, fleeting and lost forever.

How're you?
.... not... that....

D

Deleted member

How is everybody doing?
I'm feeling Bittersweet right now, I don't know why though. I guess it's just stuff in my life and around here making me slightly depressed but also this site making me very happy every time I log in.

My feelings are a mess honestly, But when isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

How're you?
ah, so this is the power of an uninvited roommate

you ok bud?

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I pre-emptively started Insurgence just to see if it'll work (Don't worry, no Pokémon were caught).

Some lady just killed two dudes. One was sacrificed to summon Darkrai, and the other one was ****in' burnt to death by a Houndoom's Fire Blast.

I'm pumped to reach this game.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
ah, so this is the power of an uninvited roommate

you ok bud?
Oh yeah I'm totally fine. Just playing the feeling up to trivialize it and destress so I can fall asleep.

There are a lot of things going on right now and all of them are bad. But soon enough they'll all go away and things will be good again. I've got perspective.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

The First Avenger is a fantastic film and firmly establishes Steve's character, cementing him as the heart of the MCU. To write it off as nothing more than military propaganda just seems so incredibly cynical and, frankly, ignorant, if not edgy for the sake of it. Captain America was literally created by two Jewish men who were fed up with Hitler and the Nazis and created a character who symbolized American ideals. The cover of the first issue had him decking Hitler in the face which, at the time, was an incredibly controversial political statement, as the US hadn't yet gotten involved in World War II. By definition, yeah, it's technically propaganda. But are you really going to discard something because it's anti-Nazi propaganda? If so, yikes.

It's a story of a man who wants to help, who wants to do what he can to fight back against some of the most vile creatures ever to stain the pages of history, because to him, it's the right thing to do. And he's chosen for the Super Soldier program not because of his brawn, but because of his heart. When he jumps onto the dud grenade at the camp thinking it was live, when everyone else tried to run from it, it established Steve as a hero. And the film doesn't shy away from recognizing wartime propaganda either, with the war bonds and such, so I really don't see what your problem is.

Nor do I think the ending is bad. It's anything but. Steve saves countless lives at what he believes is the cost of his own, only to be in stasis for seventy years and end up revived in the 2010s. He becomes disconnected with the entire world in a way no one can imagine. It's a tragically bittersweet ending. He saved countless lives, his own life was saved, but he became a man out of time.

To write off Civil War because you didn't like Zemo/the Bucky twist is one thing. I think it's a dumb take and I definitely don't agree with it, but I can live with it. But what I can't take is an opinion born from ignorance. To pejoratively write off the literal origin story of Captain America as military propaganda just shows me you couldn't look past your innately biased view of "anything being remotely positive about the US military is the bad." It shows me that you ignored the out-of-universe context which facilitated the character's creation, ignored the struggles of Jack Kirby and Joe Simon, who brought him to life. The movie is literally historical fiction. It's basically a period piece. I'm sorry if World War II existing is too far into the realm of "military propaganda," but it's literally integral to the character. For someone to get their knickers in a twist over a character who is literally a soldier having to fight in a war, I think they're just looking too hard for something to complain about.

Captain America is like Superman. He's an ideal.

He's meant to be a goal to strive for and beacon of hope.

In particular, Cap is what America should be and he takes all of it's best parts while removing its worst.

The comics and MCU both make that clear. He was never some yes man to the government. He's simply trying to do what's right.

If you hate Cap or try to misconstrue him as jingoism, that says more about you then him.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I pre-emptively started Insurgence just to see if it'll work.

Some lady just killed two dudes. One was sacrificed to summon Darkrai, and the other one was ****in' burnt to death by a Houndoom's Fire Blast.

I'm pumped to reach this game.
That game sounds super edgy, and not in the good way.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
While I don't consider MCU movies high art, I thoroughly enjoy them and will probably continue to watch them.

Wish Daredevil didn't die though.

That game sounds super edgy, and not in the good way.
Is there a... good way to call something to edgy

Last edited:

QuiqueST

Smash Apprentice
Oh yeah I'm totally fine. Just playing the feeling up to trivialize it and destress so I can fall asleep.

There are a lot of things going on right now and all of them are bad. But soon enough they'll all go away and things will be good again. I've got perspective.
Hang in there man. It's nice to see that you are confident things will get better for you.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Wish Daredevil didn't die though.
Interestingly enough, the 8-issue miniseries where Daredevil did die ia actually worth reading if you were a fan of Bendis and Brubaker's runs. It was called "End of Days".

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

opposum rolling up on shishoe's house like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom