• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

We're here for ya.

I've also had a... much trickier situation regarding someone living in my home. Except it wasn't my home, it's my family's--with my parents and six other siblings. And it was someone who was a very close friend of mine, who just happened to go through a terrible traumatic experience and had nowhere else to go. We helped get her into a school where she had a place to stay, but her roommates there were awful and the curriculum was insane. She ended up failing out after 8 months, and we took her back in. As it turns out, that school shut down in December because of how bad it was, so that's a testament that it wasn't entirely her fault.

And I've finally helped her get to another school and things are mostly fine, but her anxiety and depression are still affecting her, and it might make her wind back up at square one if she doesn't get it under control soon, and my family's definitely not taking her back for round three. She either has to succeed there, or go back to her family, which she doesn't want to do for a variety of reasons.

Tomorrow I'm going with her to a psychologist to see about getting her some help with her issues. I think things will be fine, she's just been through a lot and needs to sort things out.

The situation's been going on for over two years now. It's been the most consistently stressful two years of my life. It's part of the reason why I'm not as goofy as I used to be, and am so serious most of the time. I can't really afford to be too relaxed or silly when I never know what crisis is around the corner.
I hope things get better for you, and that no crisis happens!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I think my activity on here has actually increased since I became an admin? I think I'm just used to juggling admin stuff and "hanging out" by now, though, having been at this stuff in various places for the last 8 years or so. So maybe it's a case where I've adjusted to the point that not being in a position of higher staff is the unnatural state for me, and now that I'm actually an admin on here I feel more comfortable somehow. I dunno how to really explain it.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We're here for ya.

I've also had a... much trickier situation regarding someone living in my home. Except it wasn't my home, it's my family's--with my parents and six other siblings. And it was someone who was a very close friend of mine, who just happened to go through a terrible traumatic experience and had nowhere else to go. We helped get her into a school where she had a place to stay, but her roommates there were awful and the curriculum was insane. She ended up failing out after 8 months, and we took her back in. As it turns out, that school shut down in December because of how bad it was, so that's a testament that it wasn't entirely her fault.

And I've finally helped her get to another school and things are mostly fine, but her anxiety and depression are still affecting her, and it might make her wind back up at square one if she doesn't get it under control soon, and my family's definitely not taking her back for round three. She either has to succeed there, or go back to her family, which she doesn't want to do for a variety of reasons.

Tomorrow I'm going with her to a psychologist to see about getting her some help with her issues. I think things will be fine, she's just been through a lot and needs to sort things out.

The situation's been going on for over two years now. It's been the most consistently stressful two years of my life. It's part of the reason why I'm not as goofy as I used to be, and am so serious most of the time. I can't really afford to be too relaxed or silly when I never know what crisis is around the corner.
That's very admirable of you. You have my respect, and I hope that things work out for her on this try. Psychologists can be tricky. They aren't always a good fit and you kind of have to jump from one to one without full knowledge of whether what they're doing is working.

My brother is in a similar situation. He's getting better, but he had crippling anxiety to the point that he couldn't hold a job. Dropped out of school, lost his job, lived with our parents, and when Dad got a new job in St. Louis, he didn't want to go. So I let him help me pick a house and I got a loan to get it for us so he could stay here and not live with our father anymore. (That's a whole different can of worms.) So I understand. I've become much more... parental and old in the last 2-3 years of my little brother falling apart.

I think taking care of him is what has given me such a short fuse with this other person in my house. Particularly when she said seeing a PT Cruiser gave her a "panic attack" because her old roommate whom she didn't like also owned a PT Cruiser. I almost stopped the car and told her to get out because of how she used an actual serious medical problem plaguing my brother as a way to exaggerate her very menial issue.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Actually, I spend time in here just as much, but it's divided between a lot more threads.

Though, you're right about it having its own stress.
For me, most days it was pretty stress free. But the stressful days weighed on me more than a stressful day at my job because you start to think, "Wait, I don't even have to be doing this." Those hard days came and went though. Most days you're just another user who occasionally has to clean up someone else's crap. Long as the stress doesn't become too much it's a very rewarding feeling.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
My activity was never over the moon anyways. Most of my postings came from pre game hype for both Smash For and Ultimate.

I've been here for 5 years now and literally still have less than 10,000 posts. That says a lot, if I do say so myself.

D

Deleted member

I think my activity on here has actually increased since I became an admin? I think I'm just used to juggling admin stuff and "hanging out" by now, though, having been at this stuff in various places for the last 8 years or so. So maybe it's a case where I've adjusted to the point that not being in a position of higher staff is the unnatural state for me, and now that I'm actually an admin on here I feel more comfortable somehow. I dunno how to really explain it.
Power is everything.

D

Deleted member

Agreed but who is this guy?

We're getting into repressed parental issues hour, aren't we?
Parental Issues? I have a lot of Issues but this ain't one of them

Actually no, that was a lie

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My activity was never over the moon anyways. Most of my postings came from pre game hype for both Smash For and Ultimate.

I've been here for 5 years now and literally still have less than 10,000 posts. That says a lot, if I do say so myself.
You've got more than me and I've been here ten years.

What's that say about me? :estatic:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You've got more than me and I've been here ten years.

What's that say about me? :estatic:
I feel like you were gone for super extended periods of times between games. If that's true then I guess that explains it?

Otherwise, pff, I dunno, dude. Guess you're just a ****ing god.

D

Deleted member

If you call me a "cinnamon roll", then you clearly do not understand my history in this website.
I am pretty messed up in here, I am not going to lie.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
That's very admirable of you. You have my respect, and I hope that things work out for her on this try. Psychologists can be tricky. They aren't always a good fit and you kind of have to jump from one to one without full knowledge of whether what they're doing is working.

My brother is in a similar situation. He's getting better, but he had crippling anxiety to the point that he couldn't hold a job. Dropped out of school, lost his job, lived with our parents, and when Dad got a new job in St. Louis, he didn't want to go. So I let him help me pick a house and I got a loan to get it for us so he could stay here and not live with our father anymore. (That's a whole different can of worms.) So I understand. I've become much more... parental and old in the last 2-3 years of my little brother falling apart.

I think taking care of him is what has given me such a short fuse with this other person in my house. Particularly when she said seeing a PT Cruiser gave her a "panic attack" because her old roommate whom she didn't like also owned a PT Cruiser. I almost stopped the car and told her to get out because of how she used an actual serious medical problem plaguing my brother as a way to exaggerate her very menial issue.
Yeah, I've already been to two psychologists with her back in 2017 and 2018, but neither of them worked out. They were a little... off, though, and seemed more like they were counselors for people who needed to be told the obvious and less for young people with deeper-rooted issues. The counselor we're going to is the one for the school, which is a very nice school and has a huge amount of wellness resources for students, and probably more equipped to handle young students, so I anticipate it being a helpful experience.

Good thing your brother has you. The biggest problem for people with those kinds of mental health issues is that they don't have patient and understanding people to support them. That's been my friend's issue her entire life. Her father was abusive, and her mother never wanted to accept that there might be something wrong with her (we think she might have a form of Asperger's syndrome) and thus never got her the help she needed or treated her properly. This year, though, she's starting to patch things up with her mother really well, and she's also growing a bit more as a person, so things are finally looking up... it's just that she occasionally has these crashes or relapses that bring her back down.

People who pretend they have issues like that are also part of the problem. They do it for pity and attention and it's wrong. I haven't encountered too many, thankfully, but there is one specific... quirk that my friend has that's very real, but it's often faked by other people to seem more interesting or special, which only makes people misunderstand the issue and distrust people that genuinely have it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I feel like you were gone for super extended periods of times between games. If that's true then I guess that explains it?

Otherwise, pff, I dunno, dude. Guess you're just a ****ing god.
Nothing gets past you detective. Haha.

No but yeah that's exactly what happened. I joined before Brawl, then moved to AiB, somehow became admin there, didn't come back to Smashboards until shortly before Smash For came out.

I think like 70% of my posts have been since that poor Inkling got something in her eye.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you call me a "cinnamon roll", then you clearly do not understand my history in this website.
I am pretty messed up in here, I am not going to lie.
*****, please.

You were melded into that by this place. Before that? Cinnamon_Roll_Shiny.png

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

I'm comin' up on 6 years here, and I haven't even breached 4k.

The extended hiatus I took between the final DLC for Smash 4 and the first reveal for Ultimate probably has a lot to do with that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pft. I'm old. They aren't repressed anymore.
I guess that's a thing. I still have no noteworthy accomplishment in life, so I can't bring myself to openly disapprove my parents simply because they are better than me.

I'm not here for a year and I still have *checks* ...I need to spend more time outdoors.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I'm not here for a year and I still have *checks* ...I need to spend more time outdoors.
You're not here for a year yet and you're already a mod so I feel like that says a lot for your contributions and maturity within the community.

Last edited:

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Power is everything.
:p
Nah, it's got nothing to do with power. I just like being able to help people out. Plus I think when you've been at it long enough, eventually being a mod/admin becomes like a state of mind. It's kind of hard to just switch it off. At least that's how it is for me, anyway, pretty much everywhere I go now I end up getting thrust into leadership-type roles without even really looking for them. It's almost kinda frustrating, since there aren't many places where I can just go and relax without having to worry about responsibilities like those, but at the same time I wouldn't give something like this up easily either, I guess.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
18 years, less than 500. Do I win?
Indeed. Congratulations, you have a life, something the rest of us cannot claim to.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I guess that's a thing. I still have no noteworthy accomplishment in life, so I can't bring myself to openly disapprove my parents simply because they are better than me.
That's a very real statement, my dude. That's been me my whole life until I was finally 100% self-sustained and I felt I had the right to challenge my father. Since then our relationship has soured beautifully. We don't talk much, and I'm fine with that.

Hopefully your relationship with your family won't have to erode like mine has for you to be happy. But when the time comes and you feel as though you're on equal footing with your parents, your talks with them and your views on life will definitely change. Best of luck when all of that happens.

D

Deleted member

Wow guys, seeing your post counts I feel sometimes I've spent a lot on this site as Its not even 6 months since I joined and have around 1200 :b. Maybe I should spend less time posting.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
You know you're a REAL old ****ing user when you remember me as the "Like Guy".

No ****. That was me for a really long time. One thing. Liking posts. Good old days.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
18 years, less than 500. Do I win?
Yes.

:p
Nah, it's got nothing to do with power. I just like being able to help people out. Plus I think when you've been at it long enough, eventually being a mod/admin becomes like a state of mind. It's kind of hard to just switch it off. At least that's how it is for me, anyway, pretty much everywhere I go now I end up getting thrust into leadership-type roles without even really looking for them. It's almost kinda frustrating, since there aren't many places where I can just go and relax without having to worry about responsibilities like those, but at the same time I wouldn't give something like this up easily either, I guess.
Ha sucks to be you.

no but really, I think it's cool to have leaders around. And yet you deserve freedom too :)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Indeed. Congratulations, you have a life, something the rest of us cannot claim to.
Speak for yourself. I have a Life.

And Jenga. And Pictionary. And a whole cabinet full of board games I never get to play because no one comes over to play them.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know you're a REAL old ****ing user when you remember me as the "Like Guy".

No ****. That was me for a really long time. One thing. Liking posts. Good old days.
I don't remember anything about this place before 2018.

but then again short-term memory loss is a legitimate problem for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom