• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
I'm also thinking of making a Duster Moveset but I have no ideas for him so while I know he would be Unique and an amazing Character I'm just not very creative.

I could use the Rope Snake but Lucas uses it, Lucas also uses kicks which is something that Duster would do.
He'd be a Falcon clone with limp leg and different special.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Why do I do this to myself? It's 4am in the morning yet I said I would go to sleep earlier than last night which I'm not cause this is exactly how late I stayed up last night.
Same time here too, I’ve been trying to break this habit, though it doesn’t help that I just made popcorn cause I was hungry.

If it was chocolate pudding, THEN I’d know that I’ve lost control of my life.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
This is very insightful, thanks.

I loathe overhauling the things I write wholesale, I prefer doing micro-overhauls over time,

About unique concepts, a concept doesn't have to be wholly unique to be worthwhile, what you do with the stuff is more important than whether it's unique or not (As long as it's not copyright infringing. :laugh:). Striving to be unique can actually hold you back, since you wrack your brain to find a way to reinvent the wheel when you can just use the wheel you already have and move on. Remember that the most famous Shonen protagonist, Son Goku, is actually just Sun Wukong from Journey to the West.

Two more hurdles I have to overcome: my main protag lacks a motivation (which can work, but that's not really the story I want to tell), and I make way more heroes than villains (also more females than males, but that's a separate issue), and some of the villains I did create ended up being reworked into heroic characters anyway.
I haven't done any wholesale overhauls for my current work, and don't anticipate I will, since I feel that the roadmap is very sound right now. I've spent years thinking about it, working on the characters, figuring out the plots, and I haven't had too much reason to think that anything was out of whack. Now, there's still a lot of blank spaces throughout the story, since I'm not a one-man-writing-army, and I have weaknesses (worldbuilding is my biggest one). So perhaps when I work with other writers to fill in those blanks, we might find that things may need to be retooled in some way.

Oh yeah, concepts don't necessarily have to be wholly unique. Tropes can be good because they're familiar, so there doesn't have to be as much confusion when introducing the concept to an audience. Being unique for the sake of just being unique doesn't make anything any better or worse.

For example, one trope I didn't reinvent was anthropomorphized aliens. The alien races in my sci-fi work are all basically human, just with some different anatomy. Realistically, aliens may or may not be human-like at all. Read some hard sci-fi like Arthur C. Clarke to see what a more realistic (but still speculative) approach to what aliens might be like is. But, the story simply works better with the alien characters being human-like, so no need to reinvent that wheel just for the sake of being different.

My point was just that it's always a question worth asking. Sometimes the answer is just to keep things the same. Other times, you might find a good opportunity to do something cool and different. But it's a case by case basis, and up to your own judgment.

Ironically, I'm better with villains/antagonists than heroes/protagonists. The biggest holdup in developing my work and the pilot was that I could never quite come up with the heroes. The original two protagonists I realized weren't heroic enough, so I had to rework them into antagonists--the opposite of what you faced. Some of my villain/antagonist characters do grow and develop and become heroes and protagonists, but that doesn't come until way later in the story.

It wasn't until a year ago or so that I realized that some of my friend's characters could be the heroes (two of her characters were already incorporated into my work, and she agreed to let me use the other two), but since they still weren't my creation, I struggled a lot to actually write them, since I didn't quite understand their backstories and motivations, and my friend didn't offer me much help. Her attitude was that it was my work, and that there was no sense in her getting too involved if I'd just decide against any ideas she might have.

It wasn't until last month that I finally had a breakthrough and got to start writing the pilot. When I finished it on Tuesday morning, I sent it to her to read it, and when she finished it, she said that she was kind of in tears, and that it was better than she could have imagined. After over a year of not having a whole lot of support or involvement from her, that meant a lot.

Oh my God.

You're literally me. That's my exact process.
Glad to know I’m not the only one who does that.
The heck, seriously? I mean, I know using music for inspiration and listening to it while writing isn't uncommon. I just didn't expect my specific variation of it to be so common. I've never heard of anyone else mention that as their method.

Most people I've come across seem to have the standard "Sit in front of a blank screen and just chisel away" approach. For me, by the time I actually sit down to write, things go very smoothly. I don't often have writer's block because I've already gone through that process in my head, so when I'm typing, it all just comes out efficiently. Obviously I sometimes have to slow down for complicated scenes or parts that I didn't fully envision beforehand, but I generally know exactly what the story is before I sit down and write it.

It's also part of why so much of the music I listen to are soundtracks. Songs with lyrics are really helpful for characters, as I have playlists for some individual characters (a couple specific songs are what led to my breakthrough last month), but for action scenes and some other components, I generally listen to soundtracks.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

GUYS. STOP EVERYTHING.
RESIDENT EVIL NEWS.

Well, rumor. But this guy is right about everything he says on Capcom stuff. So.

I have so many thoughts on this.
I would actually be disappointed if it's not made by the REmake 2 team. Resident Evil 3 is the first Resident Evil game I played and I don't want to see the remake botched.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I can't remember.

By the time I was born Mario had already established himself as the king of video games, so i've always kinda known all the Mario characters.
A little easier for me. Super Mario World is literally the first thing I remember of anything Mario-related, so naturally it's star attraction--my boi--would catch my eye :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

WHY ARE WE STILL HERE?! JUST TO SUFFER?!
When the, what I feel, inevitable moment comes of their confirmation... You better be by my side, shouting at the non-believers our chant-song.

WHAT A LUST FOR REVENGEEE, WHOOOOAHOOOOOOOOO

D

Deleted member

Same time here too, I’ve been trying to break this habit, though it doesn’t help that I just made popcorn cause I was hungry.
For me it's difficult cause of me not having to deal with Family trouble and drama I can just be alone which is what I want so if I made a normal schedule I wouldn't have anytime where it's quiet and peaceful.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The heck, seriously? I mean, I know using music for inspiration and listening to it while writing isn't uncommon. I just didn't expect my specific variation of it to be so common. I've never heard of anyone else mention that as their method.

Most people I've come across seem to have the standard "Sit in front of a blank screen and just chisel away" approach. For me, by the time I actually sit down to write, things go very smoothly. I don't often have writer's block because I've already gone through that process in my head, so when I'm typing, it all just comes out efficiently. Obviously I sometimes have to slow down for complicated scenes or parts that I didn't fully envision beforehand, but I generally know exactly what the story is before I sit down and write it.

It's also part of why so much of the music I listen to are soundtracks. Songs with lyrics are really helpful for characters, as I have playlists for some individual characters (a couple specific songs are what led to my breakthrough last month), but for action scenes and some other components, I generally listen to soundtracks.
I have a quasi-idea for a series in my head and I pretty much exclusively think about it while listening to music.

Like, I'll listen to the opening of an anime and just imagine an opening animation to my series on top of it and go from there. Of course, I'm nowhere near as skilled a writer as you (my experience consists of 3 chapters of crummy fanfiction written when I was 13), but I go through a similar process regardless.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I

Yes yes yes!

I work through the characters and the story in my head, picturing is as a complete episode but breaking it down when I need to really think about it. And I usually listen to music while doing it! Movie and Video Game soundtracks help the most, because they usually don't have lyrics so I can simply use them to help the emotions in the scene shine through. I've got designated songs fro action scenes, sad scenes, romantic scenes, it's become a whole process. And when I think i've got something i'll write it, and it goes fine.

It's so cool to know that others do this!

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
>SoccerStar9001 posts
>ShotoStar posts after that

That's not gonna get confusing :yoshi:
He isn't my alt account, I swear.

Duster/Captain Falcon dittos be like:

"Show me your moves!"

"Show me your moves!"

"Show me your moves!"

"Show me your moves!"

"Show me your moves!"
What catchphrase did Duster have? He didn't really get to talk much in Mother 3 iirc.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have a quasi-idea for a series in my head and I pretty much exclusively think about it while listening to music.

Like, I'll listen to the opening of an anime and just imagine an opening animation to my series on top of it and go from there. Of course, I'm nowhere near as skilled a writer as you (my experience consists of 3 chapters of crummy fanfiction written when I was 13), but I go through a similar process.
wtf are we all kindred spirits or something?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Like, I'll listen to the opening of an anime and just imagine an opening animation to my series on top of it and go from there. Of course, I'm nowhere near as skilled a writer as you (my experience consists of 3 chapters of crummy fanfiction written when I was 13), but I go through a similar process.
I’ve created playlists of songs that fit my characters and the scenarios they go through and I have started to choreograph fight scenes listening to stuff like Nightwish instrumentals. Music has definitely helped shape some of my work and it’s an element I hope to convey once I’m able to make animated series out of my stuff.

D

Deleted member

He isn't my alt account, I swear.

What catchphrase did Duster have? He didn't really get to talk much in Mother 3 iirc.
Yeah I'm Totally not your Alt or anything hahahaha

Also he didn't have any catchphrase he talked through his actions more than actually talking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Everyone has ideas. Ideas come fast easy.

I've been on 4chan long enough to see countless amounts of concepts for hypothetical scenarios to last a lifetime.

The issue is, no one has the skills, time, money, foresight or motivation to see it their projects to reality, and those that do rarely have the dedication to stick with it for extended periods of time.

1a4.png

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I haven't done any wholesale overhauls for my current work, and don't anticipate I will, since I feel that the roadmap is very sound right now. I've spent years thinking about it, working on the characters, figuring out the plots, and I haven't had too much reason to think that anything was out of whack. Now, there's still a lot of blank spaces throughout the story, since I'm not a one-man-writing-army, and I have weaknesses (worldbuilding is my biggest one). So perhaps when I work with other writers to fill in those blanks, we might find that things may need to be retooled in some way.

Oh yeah, concepts don't necessarily have to be wholly unique. Tropes can be good because they're familiar, so there doesn't have to be as much confusion when introducing the concept to an audience. Being unique for the sake of just being unique doesn't make anything any better or worse.

For example, one trope I didn't reinvent was anthropomorphized aliens. The alien races in my sci-fi work are all basically human, just with some different anatomy. Realistically, aliens may or may not be human-like at all. Read some hard sci-fi like Arthur C. Clarke to see what a more realistic (but still speculative) approach to what aliens might be like is. But, the story simply works better with the alien characters being human-like, so no need to reinvent that wheel just for the sake of being different.

My point was just that it's always a question worth asking. Sometimes the answer is just to keep things the same. Other times, you might find a good opportunity to do something cool and different. But it's a case by case basis, and up to your own judgment.

Ironically, I'm better with villains/antagonists than heroes/protagonists. The biggest holdup in developing my work and the pilot was that I could never quite come up with the heroes. The original two protagonists I realized weren't heroic enough, so I had to rework them into antagonists--the opposite of what you faced. Some of my villain/antagonist characters do grow and develop and become heroes and protagonists, but that doesn't come until way later in the story.

It wasn't until a year ago or so that I realized that some of my friend's characters could be the heroes (two of her characters were already incorporated into my work, and she agreed to let me use the other two), but since they still weren't my creation, I struggled a lot to actually write them, since I didn't quite understand their backstories and motivations, and my friend didn't offer me much help. Her attitude was that it was my work, and that there was no sense in her getting too involved if I'd just decide against any ideas she might have.

It wasn't until last month that I finally had a breakthrough and got to start writing the pilot. When I finished it on Tuesday morning, I sent it to her to read it, and when she finished it, she said that she was kind of in tears, and that it was better than she could have imagined. After over a year of not having a whole lot of support or involvement from her, that meant a lot.

I've been working on my story for about... ...15+ years at this point? It's seen lots of tweaks and revisions, and is basically unrecognizable from it's original form. I've run some of my concepts by Mythra Mythra , and according to him the ideas are "lit" (his words).

I've got about 16 villains (though some are just names on a paper and need actual designs), while I have a core cast of about the same number of heroes (but way more incidental and side characters who are neutral at worst). With the scale of what I want this story to be, 15 villains is nowhere near enough (because that's only like 4 primary villains and 12 mooks).
----
I also write in my head while listening to music... I often forget to write the stuff down immediately, but I have a reasonably good memory for that stuff and it usually takes at least a year for me to forget stuff like that.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Everyone has ideas. Ideas come fast easy.

I've been on 4chan long enough to see countless amounts of concepts for hypothetical scenarios to last a lifetime.

The issue is, no one has the skills, time, money, foresight or motivation to see it their projects to reality, and those that do rarely have the dedication to stick with it for extended periods of time.

View attachment 201978
All I need is to learn how to animate.

After that, nothing can stop me.

D

Deleted member

Okay what did I just stumble upon? I am so confused as to what this is
Is this supposed to be a Duster themed Megalovania? If so, Why? I guess there's literally a Megalovania for everything.

Edit: Okay woah I'm getting major Deja Vu over here have I posted something like this in the past?

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’m gonna admit, I have a character heavily based off Natewantstobattle and I’ve mentally choreographed a fight scene between that character and my main character of my modern magic series:

I know the feeling...

So happy!

That's a big... maybe. :laugh:
Good enough for me!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mentioned a Duster Moveset earlier and I'm slowly getting an idea of what I want his moves to be just not what archetype he would fit into.

I would make his Side Smash be him using his Bass for something maybe whacking someone with it referencing the time he was with the DCMC and him being a bassist.

Shroob

Sup?
Well that most assuredly happened... But if I post it now it'll get lost as the final post on the page that no one notices.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

That's sort of how I do it, except as an added wrinkle, I don't write linearly. Part of the reason there's so many blank spots in the overall span of my work is because I usually figure out the beginning, then jump immediately to what the end will be based on that beginning, and then work back and forth from there, filling in whatever scenes come to me. The only time I really struggle with writing is when I'm unable to figure out that ending, and there's not much I can do with the story until then.

But the benefit is that the ending is arguably the most important part of a story, so by coming up with a good, satisfying ending immediately after figuring our your beginning, it means that the framework of the story is probably going to be sound.

If you're a real G, like Edgar Allen Poe, you come up with the ending first, and then work backwards. That's what he did for his poem "The Raven" (and I assume most of his other works), and that's why it's so good. But I'm definitely not that good, so I'm content to do as I do now.

Yes yes yes!

I work through the characters and the story in my head, picturing is as a complete episode but breaking it down when I need to really think about it. And I usually listen to music while doing it! Movie and Video Game soundtracks help the most, because they usually don't have lyrics so I can simply use them to help the emotions in the scene shine through. I've got designated songs fro action scenes, sad scenes, romantic scenes, it's become a whole process. And when I think i've got something i'll write it, and it goes fine.

It's so cool to know that others do this!
Cool to hear that you have such a wide variety of songs for different purposes! For some reason, I only work with music that you could set a trailer to. Powerful, loud, and aggressive tracks. I still have sad scenes and emotional moments, though, but those still sometimes spring from loud and bombastic tracks. Otherwise, they come from silence, because sometimes silence can be more effective than music.

Noipoi Noipoi DaybreakHorizon DaybreakHorizon Diem Diem the four of us need to band together and form a writing group and eventually an animation studio!
I'm flattered, though business is a tricky... er, business.

When working with something that's your own creation especially, you want to be very careful about who you work with and what contracts you sign. Many writers and creators have gotten screwed out of their work because of the contracts they've signed or the people they worked with. For example, one that breaks my heart, if anyone remembers that show Making Fiends on Nickelodeon, that was an original creation by a lady named Amy Winfrey, which got picked up by Nickelodeon to be produced and aired on TV. Problem is, it apparently didn't do well enough, so it got cancelled, and she apparently signed the rights to the property to Nickelodeon, so she can't even use her own work anymore.

That's a worst-case scenario. There's also the issue of making sure the right people for the job are hired for, er, the job. If I'm writing a 3D animated action/adventure sci-fi epic, that might not be the right project for Noipoi if he's doing a 2D animated comedy.

And most importantly, you need to know when you're ready to do said project. For all I say here and all the work I've written so far... I've never worked as a professional writer for a day in my life. I have no experience. As much as I'd love to start my project immediately, I don't know anything about the actual business and nature of working on such a project. If you put me in charge of it right now, I'd probably fail.

That's why I'm hoping my script impresses either this one girl in my class who owns an animation studio, or my professor. The girl with the studio has gone up to someone after class and asked for their contact information because she was impressed with his dialogue, and said she was looking for writers over the summer at her studio. That'd be a perfect way for me to get some experience, and then go on to work at bigger studios to get even bigger experience, until I was ready and had the credibility to produce my own work. But I definitely wouldn't sign my project over to her, since I don't know how much I could trust her credibility or her studio's ability to competently produce what I'm wanting to make.

If not that, I'll go to my professor, who's worked professionally in the industry on some major networks and shows, and ask him where he thinks I should start, or if he has any connections that he's willing to pull for me.

It'll probably be many years before I've gotten enough experience and credibility to work on my project, unfortunately. Because that money has to come from somewhere, either my own savings or from investors/studios. And investors and studios aren't going to pay for such a huge project from someone who has no credibility or experience.

Writing groups are fine. Many great writers have other friends who are writers that they share work with to get feedback and ideas. That kind of collaboration and feedback is necessary to get second opinions to check and challenge your work. But once business and money start to get involved, things get much more harrowing and complicated.

I've been working on my story for about... ...15+ years at this point? It's seen lots of tweaks and revisions, and is basically unrecognizable from it's original form. I've run some of my concepts by Mythra Mythra , and according to him the ideas are "lit" (his words).

I've got about 16 villains (though some are just names on a paper and need actual designs), while I have a core cast of about the same number of heroes (but way more incidental and side characters who are neutral at worst). With the scale of what I want this story to be, 15 villains is nowhere near enough (because that's only like 4 primary villains and 12 mooks).
----
I also write in my head while listening to music... I often forget to write the stuff down immediately, but I have a reasonably good memory for that stuff and it usually takes at least a year for me to forget stuff like that.
Damn, 15+ years? That's impressive. That'd be about how long I'd have worked on my original idea I had when I was 12/13, if I'd stuck with it and was your age. Sounds like you had more success in adapting it over the years than I did.

16 villains is a lot, relative to me. My work has... six major ones, and several others who work with/underneath them. But they shift and change over the course of the overall story, coming in and out of play at certain points in time, and serving different roles. How long is your story that it needs more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom