• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

GUYS. STOP EVERYTHING.
RESIDENT EVIL NEWS.

Well, rumor. But this guy is right about everything he says on Capcom stuff. So.

I have so many thoughts on this.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

GUYS. STOP EVERYTHING.
RESIDENT EVIL NEWS.

Well, rumor. But this guy is right about everything he says on Capcom stuff. So.

smh, No ThREmake S T A R S.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What is/are your biggest gaming faux pas(es?)?
Despite my claim of being a huge Capcom fanboy, I have played almost zero Mega Man, Devil May Cry or Monster Hunter. Really I'm just a Resident Evil/fighting game fan.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

GUYS. STOP EVERYTHING.
RESIDENT EVIL NEWS.

"Not the REmake 2 team."

Seriously though. REmake 2 was so well received. Why the hell wouldn't you have them do 3??

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
"Not the REmake 2 team."

Seriously though. REmake 2 was so well received. Why the hell wouldn't you have them do 3??
Because they can't work on two games at once and a 2020 release date implies that RE3make has been in the process of being worked on for a year already, minimum.

Both.

Share with the class, dork.
I will. But I need to think about it.

Probably in the morning.

D

Deleted member

I'm gonna have to ask you to stop what you're doing and go buy Necrodancer right Heckin' now.

Im not going to buy it

Got it already :b
How are you guys not talking about Monolith making a Zelda game
I liked BotW a lot so I expect great things about it considering Monolith helped develop it, and they can refine the formula and improve greatly from it. It may or not be be revealed at E3 but I'm looking forward to it like every Zelda.

KMDP

Smash Legend
For being such a big Metal Gear Solid fan I've never really even played the original Metal Gear Solid. Only The Twin Snakes. Which I've completed multiple times.
I'm sure you know this all already, but Twin Snakes is pretty much just regular MGS with MGS2's controls and physics, which breaks the game in two because it wasn't designed with first-person shooting in mind. TS is also much more cinematic.

If you've played Twin Snakes you're not really missing a whole lot not playing MGS1, though maybe you should play the original just for the experience.
Never even tried any Spyro games past 3. Never even tried any Crash Games past Wrath of Cortex and never played Crash Team Racing.
Well, Crash Team Racing Nitro Boosted is coming out soon, better now then never.

I think the last Crash game I owned before N Sane Trilogy was Nitro Kart, the last game I played was Crash of the Titans, which my sister bought.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Well, Crash Team Racing Nitro Boosted is coming out soon, better now then never.

I think the last Crash game I owned before N Sane Trilogy was Nitro Kart, the last game I played was Crash of the Titans, which my sister bought.
Okay but it's also not Crash Tag Team Racing.

Now there's an HD remake I'd happily shell out money for.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The Twin Snakes looks at the original MGS and says

"You know what? I don't think this was dumb enough."

And then Snake does a backflip, kickflips a sniper rifle like a skateboard into his hands, does a 360 and then instantly snipes a woman a mile away in a blizzard.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Okay but it's also not Crash Tag Team Racing.

Now there's an HD remake I'd happily shell out money for.
Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of my favorite racing game.

And then Snake kickflips a sniper rifle like a skateboard into his hands, does a 360 and then snipes a woman a mile away in a blizzard.
Snake: 360 noscope, *****.
Otacon: Snake, I don't think that was necessary.
Snake: It was entirely necessary.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of my favorite racing game.

Snake: 360 noscope, *****.
Otacon: Snake, I don't think that was necessary.
Snake: It was entirely necessary.
"Otacon, I thought you were all about Japanese animes."

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Because they can't work on two games at once and a 2020 release date implies that RE3make has been in the process of being worked on for a year already, minimum.

I will. But I need to think about it.

Probably in the morning.
Honestly, I could wait for 8 if it meant we got another amazing remake like 2. 3 deserves it. It expanded the lore on Umbrella and Raccoon City significantly. If it really is "not what we think it is" then I'm afraid it's going to have a mediocre reaction from me. Not confirmed, just afraid. I also thought the RE2 team was different from the RE7 team but I could be wrong. Either way, I'm excited for what's to come. If REmake 3 comes out and it's half as good as REmake 2 I'll be happy.

I'm sure you know this all already, but Twin Snakes is pretty much just regular MGS with MGS2's controls and physics, which breaks the game in two because it wasn't designed with first-person shooting in mind. TS is also much more cinematic.

If you've played Twin Snakes you're not really missing a whole lot not playing MGS1, though maybe you should play the original just for the experience.

Oh, yeah, I knew that Twin Snakes is a remake and I'm a Nintendo boy at heart so you can imagine how I was introduced to MGS. I've watched playthroughs and speed runs on MGS and even played that little bit that's present in MGS4 but I can't ACTUALLY day I've played it because well, I haven't really.

Probably will pick up Nitro Boosted. Looks fun. Kind of disappointing Retro skins are PS4 exclusives though.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

And then Snake does a backflip, kickflips a sniper rifle like a skateboard into his hands, does a 360 and then instantly snipes a woman a mile away in a blizzard.
You say this sarcastically but I thought it was amazing.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Now that's just cold...

I at least hope the Penguin is in this one.
Cold like a Penguin?

"Penguin Yay 1... ... Penguin Yay 2..."

I want both NTSC Penta and PAL Penta to be in the game, make the PAL version a secret, code-based unlock or something.
"Hooray! Thank you for rescuing me. My name is Yoshi. On my way to rescue my friends, Bowser trapped me in that egg."

Mario: "I find that hard to believe"

:yoshi:
A "Yosh" so loud and booming all of Mario's organs are shifted inside him.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Criminy, you're helpful.
Well, I've been writing since I was really young. It started out as awful, kind of self-insert fanfiction, of course, but I was just a kid. At age 12 was when I started working on an original series idea, which I overhauled once I got into high school, and then overhauled once I got into college, where halfway through I realized the entire thing was actually pretty crappy. It'd still come pretty far from where it started, though it definitely wasn't anything with a whole lot of value or sense. The characters were all fairly flat, and while it had some good ideas, it didn't execute them very well. You could tell that it started as something a child wrote.

But I only realized that because a new thing I was working on, which wasn't even fully original and actually took place in an already established universe, had way better characters and concepts going for it than anything else I'd written in my life. It was just for a hobby, too. An online writing roleplay competition where there was no guarantee that I'd even win or get to finish the story. I managed to come in second by a slim margin, but I attribute that to the genuine talent of my final opponent, as well as me procrastinating on the final chapter and finishing it last minute.

Thus, I shelved my old thing that I'd been working on for 7-8 years of my life and started putting more time and energy into this new thing, separating it into its own unique series. And by time and energy I mean I think about this stuff every day of my life, multiple times a day. I'm extremely passionate about it, and if it were to be the only thing I ever got to work on in my life, I'd die a happy man. I don't care for working on other projects nearly as much as this one.

So I've only gotten to where I am through years of practice, failure, reflection, and observation, with many of those years being spent writing not very good material. If I can help anyone else with advice so they have to go through less of that experience, then it's the least I could do.

I've been workshopping a story for several years, part of the reason I haven't actually started writing anything for it beyond concepts is that I have no idea how to start it or what I want the greater meaning to be (beyond some basic in-universe mythology and philosophy). The other part is that I really like building concepts more than actually writing them. :laugh:

I actually have Angels and Demons in this universe I've been building, but they're just the names of two of the five races in the verse and are basically just normal humans with extra traits.
Nothing wrong with not writing anything beyond concepts. That's most of what my work is. But that's because of my peculiar writing process. I write entirely in my mind, visually, if that makes any sense. I do this while walking around my room and listening to music, which is like the fuel for my inspiration, and by doing this enough times, I gradually rewrite and revise my work until I have it memorized. If I was deaf, I wouldn't be a writer.

The only physically written parts of my work are those that are written by necessity. There's the original stuff from the writing competition, which in total is about 150 Microsoft Word pages, so it's about the length of a novel, though in the grand scheme of things it's only about half a season of the series. Then there's an assortment of short stories I've written for classes over the past couple of years, some of which I'm proud of, and others that I know I could've done better. Lastly, there's the 84-page pilot script I finally finished yesterday. I've been working on this stuff for four years, and I only just yesterday finished writing the beginning of the story. EDIT: Oh, I also wrote a 30-40 page story bible last year, and a miniature one for the pilot this month, so that's important, too.

Though I would recommend at least trying to write out one story arc of your work. I didn't fully come to know my work until I wrote out a huge chunk of it in that writing competition. It might not have ever grown and taken on its current form without that experience.

As I mentioned, I've studied theology, so I often find the application of angels/demons in fiction to be kind of silly. Despite my work being sci-fi, there is actually some spiritual stuff at play, with one major demon character. The story for the writing competition I was in actually had that character's first appearance as the main antagonist, so he was one of the earliest characters I physically wrote. There's a long process with which I created the character based on my studies, and I think the character is really interesting as a result, but it'd take me a while to detail and I think most people would find it weird or boring.

Though I do understand that the pop culture angel/demon tropes are very popular nowadays, so there's nothing wrong with doing it like that, either. The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I doing to make this otherwise common trope unique?" It's not always necessary, as sometimes you don't need to be different for the sake of being different. But it's a good thing to think about, since what's most important is what you as a writer bring to these ideas, even if they aren't entirely novel. Vampires are another common example, as they've been adapted in so many different stories, but often the authors will change them in unique ways that make them interesting and stand out from other works.

For example, one of the foremost characters in my work (and protagonist of that writing competition) is a character heavily inspired by HUNK from Resident Evil. However, I took inspiration from some other influences as well, along with reworking the core of the character into something of my own imagination, resulting in a kind of character I don't think has really been done before, the way I've executed it. So while the HUNK influence is still present, it's only one element, and it's only temporary, until the character grows later in the story.

Last edited:

mbvswb

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 4561 1118 2914
Ugh I'm craving smash news so hard rn. Maybe PaxEast will have something.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well, I've been writing since I was really young. It started out as awful, kind of self-insert fanfiction, of course, but I was just a kid. At age 12 was when I started working on an original series idea, which I overhauled once I got into high school, and then overhauled once I got into college, where halfway through I realized the entire thing was actually pretty crappy. It'd still come pretty far from where it started, though it definitely wasn't anything with a whole lot of value or sense. The characters were all fairly flat, and while it had some good ideas, it didn't execute them very well. You could tell that it started as something a child wrote.

But I only realized that because a new thing I was working on, which wasn't even fully original and actually took place in an already established universe, had way better characters and concepts going for it than anything else I'd written in my life. It was just for a hobby, too. An online writing roleplay competition where there was no guarantee that I'd even win or get to finish the story. I managed to come in second by a slim margin, but I attribute that to the genuine talent of my final opponent, as well as me procrastinating on the final chapter and finishing it last minute.

Thus, I shelved my old thing that I'd been working on for 7-8 years of my life and started putting more time and energy into this new thing, separating it into its own unique series. And by time and energy I mean I think about this stuff every day of my life, multiple times a day. I'm extremely passionate about it, and if it were to be the only thing I ever got to work on in my life, I'd die a happy man. I don't care for working on other projects nearly as much as this one.

So I've only gotten to where I am through years of practice, failure, reflection, and observation, with many of those years being spent writing not very good material. If I can help anyone else with advice so they have to go through less of that experience, then it's the least I could do.

Nothing wrong with not writing anything beyond concepts. That's most of what my work is. But that's because of my peculiar writing process. I write entirely in my mind, visually, if that makes any sense. I do this while walking around my room and listening to music, which is like the fuel for my inspiration, and by doing this enough times, I gradually rewrite and revise my work until I have it memorized. If I was deaf, I wouldn't be a writer.

The only physically written parts of my work are those that are written by necessity. There's the original stuff from the writing competition, which in total is about 150 Microsoft Word pages, so it's about the length of a novel, though in the grand scheme of things it's only about half a season of the series. Then there's an assortment of short stories I've written for classes over the past couple of years, some of which I'm proud of, and others that I know I could've done better. Lastly, there's the 84-page pilot script I finally finished yesterday. I've been working on this stuff for four years, and I only just yesterday finished writing the beginning of the story.

Though I would recommend at least trying to write out one story arc of your work. I didn't fully come to know my work until I wrote out a huge chunk of it in that writing competition. It might not have ever grown and taken on its current form without that experience.

As I mentioned, I've studied theology, so I often find the application of angels/demons in fiction to be kind of silly. Despite my work being sci-fi, there is actually some spiritual stuff at play, with one major demon character. The story for the writing competition I was in actually had that character's first appearance as the main antagonist, so he was one of the earliest characters I physically wrote. There's a long process with which I created the character based on my studies, and I think the character is really interesting as a result, but it'd take me a while to detail and I think most people would find it weird or boring.

Though I do understand that the pop culture angel/demon tropes are very popular nowadays, so there's nothing wrong with doing it like that, either. The question you have to ask yourself is "What am I doing to make this otherwise common trope unique?" It's not always necessary, as sometimes you don't need to be different for the sake of being different. But it's a good thing to think about, since what's most important is what you as a writer bring to these ideas, even if they aren't entirely novel. Vampires are another common example, as they've been adapted in so many different stories, but often the authors will change them in unique ways that make them interesting and stand out from other works.

For example, one of the foremost characters in my work (and protagonist of that writing competition) is a character heavily inspired by HUNK from Resident Evil. However, I took inspiration from some other influences as well, along with reworking the core of the character into something of my own imagination, resulting in a kind of character I don't think has really been done before, the way I've executed it. So while the HUNK influence is still present, it's only one element, and it's only temporary, until the character grows later in the story.
This is very insightful, thanks.

I loathe overhauling the things I write wholesale, I prefer doing micro-overhauls over time,

About unique concepts, a concept doesn't have to be wholly unique to be worthwhile, what you do with the stuff is more important than whether it's unique or not (As long as it's not copyright infringing. :laugh:). Striving to be unique can actually hold you back, since you wrack your brain to find a way to reinvent the wheel when you can just use the wheel you already have and move on. Remember that the most famous Shonen protagonist, Son Goku, is actually just Sun Wukong from Journey to the West.

Two more hurdles I have to overcome: my main protag lacks a motivation (which can work, but that's not really the story I want to tell), and I make way more heroes than villains (also more females than males, but that's a separate issue), and some of the villains I did create ended up being reworked into heroic characters anyway.

D

Deleted member

Just wanna say real quick, thank y'all for somehow reading and dealing with my incoherent rambling about some dude with a booby sword getting a spot in some competition.

Might've been inspired by Blazkowicz, had it not been for NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy , or maybe it was some feelings for the longest time.

It really be Punished Scott hours. :drshrug:

WHAT A LUST FOR REVENGE.

D

Deleted member

At the moment of typing this there are 20 Users and 20 Guests, Perfectly Balanced as everything should be.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Just wanna say real quick, thank y'all for somehow reading and dealing with my incoherent rambling about some dude with a booby sword getting a spot in some competition.

Might've been inspired by Blazkowicz, had it not been for NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy , or maybe it was some feelings for the longest time.

It really be Punished Scott hours. :drshrug:

WHAT A LUST FOR REVENGE.
WHY ARE WE STILL HERE?! JUST TO SUFFER?!

Noipoi

Howdy!
Oh my God.

You're literally me. That's my exact process.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Oh my God.

You're literally me. That's my exact process.
Glad to know I’m not the only one who does that.

D

Deleted member

Why do I do this to myself? It's 4am in the morning yet I said I would go to sleep earlier than last night which I'm not cause this is exactly how late I stayed up last night.

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord

GUYS. STOP EVERYTHING.
RESIDENT EVIL NEWS.

On one hand, I like to see them take their time polishing RE3 remake. On the other hand, RE3 REMAKE 2020 HYPE

D

Deleted member

I'm also thinking of making a Duster Moveset but I have no ideas for him so while I know he would be Unique and an amazing Character I'm just not very creative.

I could use the Rope Snake but Lucas uses it, Lucas also uses kicks which is something that Duster would do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom