• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I just realized that Haunted Castle, a Castlevania game, is in the Arcade Classics Konami 50th Anniversary Collection. Huh.

Looks like I'm getting all 3 collections then... even though I ****ING SUCK at Contra.

Actually, me sucking at Contra is one reason in scared to take on Cuphead. I don't want to get super frustrated with a game so beloved.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I just realized that Haunted Castle, a Castlevania game, is in the Arcade Classics Konami 50th Anniversary Collection. Huh.

Looks like I'm getting all 3 collections then... even though I ****ING SUCK at Contra.

Actually, me sucking at Contra is one reason in scared to take on Cuphead. I don't want to get super frustrated with a game so beloved.
Eh, a lot of bosses aren't 'THAT' bad.

Then the ****ing Robot and Clown bosses happen.

D

Deleted member

Broke: Geno for Smash
Woke: Mallow for Smash
Ultra Woke: Boshi for Smash
Bespoke: Bazooka Toad for Smash
Bazooka Toad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I....... don't know how to respond to that. If that's true, then I'd have to give myself a pat in the back :yoshi:
From my knowledge it is! I see more people that want him in/are okay with him be it Echo or not than people wanting Mallow.

I guess it makes sense though as if we were to get a unique Super Mario RPG Rep it would be Geno, Not Mallow.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I....... don't know how to respond to that. If that's true, then I'd have to give myself a pat in the back :yoshi:
I haven't really seen anyone campaigning for Mallow to be fair.

Boshi is still funnier as "ultra woke" though since he's an NP and not really a major character.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Algorithmic ranking systems have always been wack and not a very accurate measurement of one's skill. Don't take it seriously.

My brother is really good at Counter Strike: Global Offensive. He currently has o ver 2,000 hours in the game. But for some reason, he's never been able to get above a Silver rank in the game. Both friends and strangers have remarked that he should be much higher than that, and he's often been accused of having a "smurf" account (a new account highly-skilled players use to play with newbies or lesser skilled players), but his hours say otherwise.

Then there was me 10 years ago in Halo 3 trying to get above a 39 skill level, winning games and gaining no points, and then losing a game and getting knocked down to 37 or 36. Why? It had to do with a bunch of invisible, intangible factors, including my playing history. It's possible that if I started a new account, I'd be able to get a way higher skill ranking, because I wouldn't be weighed down by whatever nebulous factors were making it difficult to go up.

Or several years ago, Battlefield 4 had a "skill" stat that fluctuated wildly between games. My K/D and SPM stats were very good and consistent, but the skill stat kept flying up and down, usually due to an occasional poor game I might have had. Eventually they removed the stat altogether, because it sucked and didn't make any sense.

That's what GSP is. It's trying to quantify something that can't be quantified, and almost no game has done this well. You're not regressing, you just had some bad games and a flawed system took it out of proportion. I've seen dozens of people mention the same issue here and elsewhere.

That doesn't mean a high GSP doesn't require skill and isn't something to be proud of, but the way it handles losses is obviously messed up, and it's nothing new in the world of ranking systems. It's just unfair and poorly thought out.
I appreciate the rundown, but I know what matchmaking systems are and their various flaws. My usage of GSP as a metric is simply a way to publicly share my struggles without going in-depth. I don't want to handwave away my genuine problems in the game by blaming the fact that GSP isn't a perfect system.

My feeling of regression isn't tied to the number; it's tied to going into matches I should win and losing. It's losing to a K. Rool despite knowing what he's going to do every time but simply not being able to get any solid kill confirms. It's barely beating a Lucas I know is bad because I've played good Lucases before. It's a general feeling of "why did I do that; I know better" as you go on a losing streak until your GSP falls under a million and you realize "**** I've done nothing but lose so far!" It's realizing that the only reason your GSP eventually goes back up is because, while you're lower, the game is matching you with ****tier players.

It's going into an arena with the same people with whom you usually play and getting exactly one kill in your first five matches. It's feeling like you've made a little progress in one match only to play someone different next match and realize, nope, you were developing bad habits because your last opponent kept falling for them and in reality those shouldn't work. It's identifying your problems, writing them down on paper, focusing on them and... still not correcting them enough. It's the feeling of thinking too much and not acting. Playing defense to prolong your match so it looks like you put up a fight even though you really didn't; you just lasted longer because you refused to go on offense and get punished.

I'm having troubles with this game that I'm not seeming to correct as quickly as I usually do. I just feel... bad at it.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I appreciate the rundown, but I know what matchmaking systems are and their various flaws. My usage of GSP as a metric is simply a way to publicly share my struggles without going in-depth. I don't want to handwave away my genuine problems in the game by blaming the fact that GSP isn't a perfect system.

My feeling of regression isn't tied to the number; it's tied to going into matches I should win and losing. It's losing to a K. Rool despite knowing what he's going to do every time but simply not being able to get any solid kill confirms. It's barely beating a Lucas I know is bad because I've played good Lucases before. It's a general feeling of "why did I do that; I know better" as you go on a losing streak until your GSP falls under a million and you realize "**** I've done nothing but lose so far!" It's realizing that the only reason your GSP eventually goes back up is because, while you're lower, the game is matching you with ****tier players.

It's going into an arena with the same people with whom you usually play and getting exactly one kill in your first five matches. It's feeling like you've made a little progress in one match only to play someone different next match and realize, nope, you were developing bad habits because your last opponent kept falling for them and in reality those shouldn't work. It's identifying your problems, writing them down on paper, focusing on them and... still not correcting them enough. It's the feeling of thinking too much and not acting. Playing defense to prolong your match so it looks like you put up a fight even though you really didn't; you just lasted longer because you refused to go on offense and get punished.

I'm having troubles with this game that I'm not seeming to correct as quickly as I usually do. I just feel... bad at it.
Ultimate is just a really hard game to master, especially compared to 4. More fluid movement also means that it's a lot hard to be precise with it. Even if you know what you should be doing, the actual execution is often times difficult. I've been grinding my movement and spacing nonstop since release and I still sometimes lose to scrubby tactics like PK Fire/Freeze spam because I end up playing braindead or just screw it up in some way. The game moves so quickly it's hard to take everything in, and there's so many match ups to factor in that it honestly feels really overwhelming at times.

If it counts for anything though I consider K.Rool to have the second best overall survivability in the game. Almost as heavy as Bowser, passable projectiles, tons of armor and a strong recovery make him hard to kill even if you know his tricks.

D

Deleted member

I wonder how the fan mails that Toriyama gets related to Dragon Quest tend to go in general.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So...

This is the first time I've ever felt uninterested in a From Software game since, well, Demon's Souls.

I just feel like Sekiro came out one Nioh too late. Nioh nailed a balancing act between the fast paced character action Ninja Gaiden games and a Souls games brutally hard but incredibly Tactical take on one on one fighting and strategy. Sekiro seems to be trying to do just the same and I'm just honestly not that interested in the way this game is looking right now. Obviously I feel like I'll get the game eventually and, who knows, maybe I'll love it but as of now it's thoroughly sandwiched between the perfect Samurai-Ninja souls game Nioh and the beautifully choreographed world of Ghost of Tsushima. Sekiro doesn't have anything unique going for it. Even the dingy, desolate, gothic world of the Souls and Bloodborne games is absent from this game, they try to take a more vibrant approach to the world which is admirable but looking at Ghost of Tsushima as comparison makes it feel like it is just passable.

It's so strange to me to not have a From Software game in my hands immediately. I love their Souls games. I just feel like they really nailed this very niche sect of Gameplay and Lore that gamers were looking for. I don't feel like Sekiro lives up to that. I think Nioh does.

Edit: I feel like I should say that I'm not disappointed in the direction the game has taken, at all actually, just more so the fact that Ghost of Tsushima and Nioh interest or interested me far more than what Sekiro has thus far. Who knows though. I'm watching Maximilian Dood's playthrough so maybe he'll change my mind.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So...

This is the first time I've ever felt uninterested in a From Software game since, well, Demon's Souls.

I just feel like Sekiro came out one Nioh too late. Nioh nailed a balancing act between the fast paced character action Ninja Gaiden games and a Souls games brutally hard but incredibly Tactical take on one on one fighting and strategy. Sekiro seems to be trying to do just the same and I'm just honestly not that interested in the way this game is looking right now. Obviously I feel like I'll get the game eventually and, who knows, maybe I'll love it but as of now it's thoroughly sandwiched between the perfect Samurai-Ninja souls game Nioh and the beautifully choreographed world of Ghosts of Tsushima. Sekiro doesn't have anything unique going for it. Even the dingy, desolate, gothic world of the Souls and Bloodborne games is absent from this game, they try to take a more vibrant approach to the world which is admirable but looking at Ghosts of Tsushima as comparison just make it feel like it is just passable.

It's so strange to me to not have a From Software game in my hands immediately. I love their Souls games. I just feel like they really nailed this very niche sect of Gameplay and Lore that gamers were looking for. I don't feel like Sekiro lives up to that. I think Nioh does.
y-yeah totally

1553245370253.png

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master

If I can 100% Cuphead on hard mode using a keyboard then I think you'll be just fine.

Yes, I mainly left this comment as an excuse to brag about getting 100% on hard mode in Cuphead using a keyboard.

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Is my duty to bring to all the completed version of this classic

Back by popular demand, it's chapter 2!

"So let me get this straight." Asked a befuddled @tehponycorn. "That Ramen shop wasn't your palace?" @Smashing Ramen sighed and explained for the third time. "No, it wasn't my palace. I'm not a corrupt individual who needs his heart stolen, i'm just a guy running a shop. Now please return my noodles and get the **** away from me." Tehponycorn was kinda upset, he just got done with The Grinch's palace and he thought he was on a roll. "Oops, sorry hehe..." He then returned the ramen. Noipoi was super happy! After a fifteen hour flight on @AndreaAC's chariot, they had finally caught up to the ramen thief and secured the noodles. It was a crazy trip! They encountered a ginormous swarm of locusts that threatened to eat them alive (@ClaTheBae refused to believe in them even while they nibbled on his face). A krew of strange reptiles who gifted the group with the most badass song they've ever heard. And they even came across the bringer of lewd, the almighty Mythra Mythra . Noipoi and Mythra were locked in a psychic duel of wits, but eventually Noipoi won and was gifted the link.

"Well, i'm glad we got that cleared up!" said Noipoi, a goofy smile on his face. "Now we can get back and eat some noodles!" However, the true adventure had just begun. Suddenly, a colossal explosion of pure evil energy shot out from the depths of the earth and into the sky. Then, as if it was never there, it vanished in an instant. "What in the ever loving **** was that?" Asked a shocked staindgrey staindgrey while @faygoshill clung onto him for protection. "I dunno, but we're gonna find out." Said a determined Noipoi, still hyped up from his victory against Mythra. "Yoshi (Are you kidding me? I don't even think I could eat that!) asked Zinith Zinith (who's name will always be Zinith to me). But Noipoi was already on his way to the source of the evil, and seeing as how he was the main character everyone was contractually obligated to follow him.

Our heroes were soon faced with a colossal fortress, the evilest fortress they had ever seen. Tehponycorn started getting excited, he has a thing about evil palaces. Guarding the fortress were a humanoid fiend (not a full fiend, more of a demi-fiend) known as @Idon. A pink, puffy jester rolling around on a ball known as @PeridotGX. And a relatively normal looking guy holding a microphone known as @NateVO. "Halt! Who dares enter the fortress of evil evilness?" asked Guardian Idon. "We don't really wanna come in, but the blue weirdo does and he's our ride sooo..." answered @Mr. Wario. "None who aren't approved by our mistress shall enter" stated PeridotGX. "And last time I checked, you guys weren't approved. So piss off!" finished NateVO. Everyone looked at each other in confusion for a short moment. "Well in that case, how exactly do we get approved?" Asked Smashing Ramen. "The only way to get approved is to pass the challenges." started Idon. 'Yes, face the challenges and appear before her." continued PeridotGX. "And she's super scary, you don't stand a chance!" finished NateVO. "No chance? That's a chance i'm willing to take!" Exclaimed Noipoi. "That's ****ing stupid." said Cla. Suddenly Idon, PeridotGX and NatevO burst into laughter. "Bahahaha! You really *giggle* you really think we're just gonna let you in? asked Idon in the midst of hysterical laughter. "Get outta here before we have to kill you!" and so the guards turned our heroes away.

They were going to head back to the ramen shop, but Noipoi heard something from behind a large stalagmite. "Psst, over here!" Noipoi led the group behind the rock formation, only to find a small western marsupial named @Opossum. A Shroob named... Shroob Shroob . a wooden doll in a light blue sweater named @ShotoStar and a guy called @ToasterBrains. "Heard you guys wanted to get in the fortress." started Opossum. "We can help you, if you help us." Noipoi was suspicious, but he loved animals so he decided to listen. "The dark queen resides in that castle, and if we don't act quick there could be big trouble. If you help us defeat her, we'll let you in the castle with us." Noipoi was already planning to defeat an ancient evil today, so this was right up his alley! "Alright, let's get this bread!" Noipoi shook Opossum's paw, and off they went.

The fortress was dark and dank, and was engulfed in an eerie aura. "Zoinks, I hope we don't run into any g-g-g-ghosts!" whimpered a freaked out Faygoshill. "Relax, ghosts aren't real. Like Giraffes." Cla said, trying to reassure everyone. "Yoshi (No, they exist. I eat em.)" responded Zinith. "Enough with the ghost talk, you're freaking Callie out!" Snapped Mr. Wario, holding his cursed Callie doll. Shroob held up his purple clawed hand, signalling everyone to stop. "In front of us is the door to the dark queen's chamber." he said. Opossum then cut in with "We've done our part, but this is where we part ways. We've still got a job to do." "May the stars be with you.' said ShotoStar, offering a blessing to the group. "Don't die, dweebs" said ToasterBrains. As the radical quartet left, our original group decided to enter the dark queen's chambers. I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

As they entered the dark queen's chamber, an oppressive aura immediately had everyone shivering. "N-nani?" anime'd Faygoshill. In front of them was a colossal throne constructed of crystals that seemed to emit dark energy. The throne was guarded by five mighty warriors, @osby @Chinderblock NonSpecificGuy NonSpecificGuy @Moydow and a penguin named..he didn't have a name. He was @Just a penguin. Sitting on the throne was the most evil person they had ever seen, the mistress of mayhem, the princess of pain, the empress of evil, Dark Queen Cyn Cyn ! "Ah, I see you've arrived." she said, her voice slow and despicable. "Are you the one who's gonna destroy the world or something?" asked Noipoi, ready to fight this evil being. Cyndane however seemed shocked, appalled even. "What? destroy the world, me?" she asked, eyes wide. "My dear boy, that would be evil! And that's so not me!" Yeah, no one was buying it. This chick is evil. "Alright fine, i'm gonna destroy the world. But i'll give you a chance to save it." Everyone would be lying if they said they weren't intrigued. "If you beat my game, then i'll give you chance to save this pathetic world." Beating a game? These guys lived to play games!
They all immediately rose up like true gamers to the challenge, eager to take the Dark Queen on. "What game are we playing?" asked Noipoi, ready to win. Cyndane smiled an evil smile, and looked upon the group with a psychotic glee. "You'll take part in..."

"My Hunger Games!"

"The Bringer of Lewd" has a really nice tone to it ngl :V

Last edited:

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
So it's March 22nd. This is like the 7-year anniversary of an Uprising, yes? You know what that means...
:ultpit: :ultpalutena: :ultdarkpit:

Let's bring on some Pit justice (and a potential Uprising thread title?)!

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Broke: Geno for Smash
Woke: Mallow for Smash
Ultra Woke: Boshi for Smash
Bespoke: Bazooka Toad for Smash
View attachment 200135
Bespequoke: Fawful in smash
Fawful_wants_applause_icon.gif

Edit: I Just realised fanmail is a thing... Does anyone have Sakurais contact details? Not to spam him or beg for a character, I actually want to write him a genuine Thank you letter

Last edited:

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I played Smash ... yesterday. But I can see putting it on the back burner in June after Mario Maker 2 comes out. And then after that there'll be a steady stream of new releases until the end of the year. Splatoon 2 usurped Mario Kart 8, Smash usurped Splatoon 2 and Smash itself will likely be shoved to the side by the trinity of Mario Maker, Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

I've kind of done everything I want to single-player wise in Smash, so now it's just a matter of trying to git gud with my few mains and perhaps a few secondaries. Maybe update 3.0.0 will bring in some good new content though ...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I wonder if I'm spreading myself to think with all my secondaries and pockets. By the end of Smash 4's life cycle, I pretty much only played :4charizard: and :4mewtwo: online. These days I play :ultcharizard:,:ultivysaur:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultzelda:,:ultridley:, and :ultbowser:, and have been considering picking up :ultganondorf: and :ultwolf: as well. That's an awful lot of characters to take in. Maybe I need to double down on Pokemon Trainer and play my pockets less. It's not like I'll ever be playing anyone other then :ultpokemontrainer: and maybe :ultzelda: at an actual tournament anyway.

On the other hand though, it does make me a more well rounded player and fundamentals and skills you get from playing one character can carry over into another. I feel like playing :ultridley: and :ultbowser: has improved my :ultcharizard: a bit, but did that really help as much as if I had just played :ultcharizard: on his own?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I wonder if I'm spreading myself to think with all my secondaries and pockets. By the end of Smash 4's life cycle, I pretty much only played :4charizard: and :4mewtwo: online. These days I play :ultcharizard:,:ultivysaur:,:ultsquirtle:,:ultzelda:,:ultridley:, and :ultbowser:, and have been considering picking up :ultganondorf: and :ultwolf: as well. That's an awful lot of characters to take in. Maybe I need to double down on Pokemon Trainer and play my pockets less. It's not like I'll ever be playing anyone other then :ultpokemontrainer: and maybe :ultzelda: at an actual tournament anyway.

On the other hand though, it does make me a more well rounded player and fundamentals and skills you get from playing one character can carry over into another. I feel like playing :ultridley: and :ultbowser: has improved my :ultcharizard: a bit, but did that really help as much as if I had just played :ultcharizard: on his own?
Honestly I would say just stick with PT. PT is already hard work, considering mastering him requires you to master three characters, and he doesn't really have too many bad matchups, which is really the only reason you should pick up a secondary in the first place. To put it in other words:

Let's say you and a guy have both been playing Ultimate for about the same time. You've put 50% into PT and 50% into Bowser, while this guy rolled 100% of time in his D3. While you may have the same level of basic skill and fundamentals, he has a greater understanding of his character's ins and outs, so he'll probably win. It's safer to have one reliable character then two not-so-reliable characters.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138

Honestly I feel the issue.

When the game came out, I mained :ultdarksamus:and:ultinkling:. I soon found out I didn't quite like their playstyle so I started maining :ultpokemontrainerf:.
It didn't take long for me to pick up :ultridley:as a secondary though.
Then I still enjoy playing :ultdarksamus:,:ultbowser:,:ultlucario:,:ultlucina:,:ultmewtwo:,:ultpiranha: ,:ultdarkpit:,:ultmario:,:ulticeclimbers:because I've had decent practice with them and know some tricks with them. Most of them have been mains in Brawl/sm4sh.
Then there are :ultwolf:and :ultincineroar:, who I play occasionally because they're cheesy as hell.

Recently, I've been getting very good results with :ultyounglink:and :ultgreninja: and I dare say they've joined :ultpokemontrainerf:and :ultridley: as my "mains".

D

Deleted member

I honestly think you should experiment with them a little more, find which one you enjoy most, stick with that one, then expand to other fighters.

D

Deleted member

I haven't played Smash in a good long while, but that's cause I wanna play other games that aren't Smash or kill my backlog.

Back then I would play only nothing but Smash with a few games here and there, but now with the Switch getting all the good ****, I find it hard to religiously play Smash again.

Also Final Fantasy VII comes out in 4 days whaddup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom