• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Im probably one of the few that never got the hullabaloo around the kiss scene. I think it's dumb as can be but I guess despite a lot of the characters being certain animals I never equated this:
sonic.png

1 to 1 with this:
hedgehog.jpg

Like that's not a thing that just connects in my mind as one is anthropomorphic and has sentience and actual station in the world they are in and the other is just a prickly furry sometimes pet.

Is that kind of thing even something that would matter between two sentient species in that world?

It's made even more confusing as you meet normal feral animals in game too like a dog and birds. Would Sonic and friends be treated with the same rights as those animals or more along the line of humans?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think we might be getting actual Codecs in the 2.0 update...

I dunno why but I got this gut feeling that there's a lot more being added and that Brawl Codecs were there to supplement for what would come eventually. I dunno. Maybe that's just me but we'll see.
I don't know if it's possible considering extenuating circumstances, but I would LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE if they did that!

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace

I dunno why but I got this gut feeling that there's a lot more being added and that Brawl Codecs were there to supplement for what would come eventually. I dunno. Maybe that's just me but we'll see.
I hope, because i really love the codecs

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Resident Evil 2 Remake is the best Resident Evil game. Period. If you don't have it and want to get into Resident Evil, buy this game.
After watching gameplay footage, I want a RE rep as DLC even more now. I don't care if its a protagonist, monster, whatever. Just gimme some of that good RE stuff, Sakurai!

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
I tend to think that many people remember too much about the bad Sonic games.

Before I became the person invested in gaming who I am today, I played many Sonic games in a casual way (the ones I remember are the Rush games, Colours on DS, the Mario & Sonic titles, Sonic 1 for phones, Sonic 2,some of the other mobile games and Dark Brotherhood).

Outside of the last one I used to love all of them. It wasn’t until I became more invested in gaming and started writing on social media while diving more on Youtube when I started hearing about Sonic having an awful track. It shocked me, since all the stuff i played of the character didn’t give me the perception i was reading all around the Internet.

To this day, I don’t see Sonic in an awful spot. I have played a lot of good stuff related to the character, and I never found myself playing one of his games and thinking “I regret my decission”.
Honestly the few bad ones get focused on a lot more than they should. Doesn't help that there's a divide like with FE where the older fans hate anything of the new ones and will grab onto any negative to say that it's all wrong and should be the way they want.

Which unfortunately with Mania further pushed that perception. Rather than getting that Sonic Team rushes things while trying to make a bunch of people who all want different things at once happy creates a lot of the current issues and that Mania is great in great deal to its team knowing what it wants to be and being let do that, the narrative is its good cuz its like the old ones. Which further pushes that divide and has people grab onto the big flops even harder.

D

Deleted member

If the update would include new content in any way, shape or form, then it would need a Direct. I'm betting we get an announcement on Wednesday
I find that possible too.
Maybe I’ll be lucky and they reveal stuff related to DKC and Animal Crossing, alongside a new trailer for UA3.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Imo, jumping from the current version to 2.0.0 definitely sounds like we're gonna get quite a bit of new content but that's just me.

D

Deleted member

Honestly the few bad ones get focused on a lot more than they should. Doesn't help that there's a divide like with FE where the older fans hate anything of the new ones and will grab onto any negative to say that it's all wrong and should be the way they want.

Which unfortunately with Mania further pushed that perception. Rather than getting that Sonic Team rushes things while trying to make a bunch of people who all want different things at once happy creates a lot of the current issues and that Mania is great in great deal to its team knowing what it wants to be and being let do that, the narrative is its good cuz its like the old ones. Which further pushes that divide and has people grab onto the big flops even harder.
I completely agree with your statement.
If someone right now asked me which Sonic game I hated the most, I would have to refuse to answer. I just haven’t played a Sonic game which I disliked or hated.

In fact, I feel that it is always important to remember the good elements of a game rather than the bad ones alone, since the developers will consider them more and have a better idea about the stuff that can be done. The more the developers know about the stuff demanded by the public, the better.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Im probably one of the few that never got the hullabaloo around the kiss scene. I think it's dumb as can be but I guess despite a lot of the characters being certain animals I never equated this:
View attachment 188637
1 to 1 with this:
View attachment 188638

Like that's not a thing that just connects in my mind as one is anthropomorphic and has sentience and actual station in the world they are in and the other is just a prickly furry sometimes pet.

Is that kind of thing even something that would matter between two sentient species in that world?

It's made even more confusing as you meet normal feral animals in game too like a dog and birds. Would Sonic and friends be treated with the same rights as those animals or more along the line of humans?
Even with that whole issue aside, my main gripe with the whole Sonic and Elise thing is that it felt FORCED. Like there was little to no natural chemistry and I did not see any real reason for Sonic to be as invested in her as much the story is suggesting. They’ve known each other for like two days and Elise is willing to risk ending the world for him. It’s a terrible setup for a relationship regardless of the whole anthro debate. Also, Elise mostly just kept Sonic out of the actual plot of the game, Shadow and Silver got stuff done while the only major thing Sonic contributed to th story was his death at the hands of Mephilis.

I completely agree with your statement.
If someone right now asked me which Sonic game I hated the most, I would have to refuse to answer. I just haven’t played a Sonic game which I disliked or hated.

In fact, I feel that it is always important to remember the good elements of a game rather than the bad ones alone, since the developers will consider them more and have a better idea about the stuff that can be done. The more the developers know about the stuff demanded by the public, the better.
We need to take into account both the positive and negative elements so we can learn from them in different ways, learn what works and what doesn’t.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
View attachment 188637
1 to 1 with this:
View attachment 188638

I think the issue came down to the human characters skewering more towards realistic appearances (to the point that even Eggman was given realistic proportions) and the situation being played more seriously, which made Elise kissing Sonic go a little too far for a lot of people. If 06 had more cartoonish elements to it and/or the human characters were more akin to Eggman or Professor Pickle, the kiss may've been ignored or overlooked similar to how most fans don't care about Brian dating human girls in Family Guy.

Elise also being a terrible love interest probably didn't help her case though.

D

Deleted member

At best, the Microsoft tweet was made to show a good image for the company and attempt to fight a bit the war between console teams. More so after that marketing campaign with Nintendo to promote crossplay.

But even then, it is more likely a tweet given without purpose. Many developers like to share their thoughts on a lot of games, as weird as they may sound.

Insomniac is a good example of this, since they are doing from time to time livestreams where they literally play any game they want. For example, they recently streamed Smash Bros Ultimate (and it didn’t tease any random stuff like Ratchet in Smash or something like that).

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
Me waiting for Pikmin 4 info

I know your pain. We will suffer together. I’ve already been keeping my obsession in check with awesomely drawn comics, but the last one quickly evolved into the pocky game. So I’m back to square one

D

Deleted member

Imo, jumping from the current version to 2.0.0 definitely sounds like we're gonna get quite a bit of new content but that's just me.
I mean, Piranha Plant is a pretty major addition, so I think he's set.
As for other stuff? I'm not sure. If anything it would address our concerns about the online mode, but I dunno if Nintendo plans to make the overhaul it needs.

Otherwise, perhaps they'd add a new stage and some music alongside Plantboi, just to make his inclusion seem just as valuable as the fighter pass characters or something. Could be a thing.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
The fact that it's "Hey! Pikmin" and not "Hey Pikmin!" will always bother me.
I actually wrote it as "Hey Pikmin!" the first time, but then I googled it because I remembered it being weirder than that.

Here's what I'm picturing though:

- Olimar shouts at the top of his lungs: "HEY!"
- Now that he has your attention, he turns, looks at the camera and deadpans: "Pikmin..."

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I had an idea for a new way to make 3D Sonic games. The problem with them (from my perspective) is that Sonic's need to go fast means that the levels have to be HUGE and that you have to create many "high quality" assets that load and then go away a second later and that the player never sees. Which has resulted in many of the problems with 3D Sonic games (multiple characters with slow gameplay, tons of glitches, repetitive locations, etc.). Looking at this, clearly something needs to drop from the formula. So I, begrudgingly, looked at Mario. When Mario went to 3D, changes had to be made to the formula to compensate. I've always maintained that Crash Bandicoot is more of a "3D Mario" game then Mario 64, by being a literal translation of the 2D games to 3D, something that Sonic games have a problem with as well. But instead of dropping... whatever Mario's equivalent to Sonic's speed is, Mario dropped something else. He dropped the need to get from A-B. Mario went open world. Now, making the games open world would not allow you to keep Sonic's speed, but I think I've got something else that would work better. Looped courses. Like a racing game. Instead of being one giant hallway, to use a Crash term, Sonic's levels would be layed out like a race track in a Kart game. You would be plopped down on the course and run along in order to acomplish some sort of objective to collect a... Super Ring... (or something else that's basically a power star). You still have to run fast, as gaining access to certain levels (as in height) and certain hidden areas will require different levels of speed. You also would not just be running around in circles. There could be bridges conecting one end of the level to another, as an example. You would have to explore to find Sheilds or Whisps or whatever power-ups they want to use in order to accomplish certain objectives.

That's how I'd do it at least.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

that’d be cool and all...but Palutena’s Guidances for dlc chacracters is what I need most
I tend to think that many people remember too much the bad Sonic games.

Before I became the person invested in gaming who I am today, I played many Sonic games in a casual way (the ones I remember are the Rush games, Colours on DS, the Mario & Sonic titles, Sonic 1 for phones, Sonic 2,some of the other mobile games and Dark Brotherhood).

Outside of the last one I used to love all of them. It wasn’t until I became more invested in gaming and started writing on social media while diving more on Youtube when I started hearing about Sonic having an awful track. It shocked me, since all the stuff i played of the character didn’t give me the perception i was reading all around the Internet.

To this day, I don’t see Sonic in an awful spot. I have played a lot of good stuff related to the character, and I never found myself playing one of his games and thinking “I regret my decission”.
It’s not that Sonic has an awful track, it’s moreso the bad titles in the series ends up being more noticeable than the good
View attachment 188637
1 to 1 with this:
View attachment 188638

I’m reminded of how awesome Sonic’s css artwork is the best in Smash Ultimate
Me, waiting for Pokemon, Animal Crossing and possibly Persona 5 Switch info.

View attachment 188640
Mii waiting for MUA3 and Bayo 3 info

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This will be me getting ready for more Piranha Plant gameplay when he’s near release
FE259C33-A6D1-4E77-8ACD-C401E25EDA0A.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom