• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Current Prime 4 development is being scrapped and restarted with Retro assisting with development.

Wow.

How ****ing badly was it going that they needed to publicly announce they're starting over?

Also now I'm curious as hell what Retro's been doing for the last three years if they're just sitting around available to work on this.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Goes on to YouTube while getting ready for work.
Sees Metroid Prime 4 development update

Oh no, it' been cancelled hasn't it?
Sees like/dislike ratio
Hmm, maybe it's actually good news
Nintendo is all about quality
Oh **** it has been canned
We weren't happy with it's development
Oh **** oh **** oh ****
So we're restarting it's development with the original studio
Well at least we got updates on both MP4 and Retro.

One good thing from this, is that it indicates Nintendo still has faith in Retro. After rumours that they were in trouble, had a cancelled title and was just overall run poorly, seeing Nintendo get them for MP4 is a good sign. Still, I have to wonder how many of the orignal MP trilogy team will be returning.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Metroid Federation Force was just poorly timed I think. Much like putting in Bad-Boxart Mega Man in Street Fighter X Tekken, had the series not been at a low point/lull at the time, no one would really bat an eye. It's not like either game was a complete trainwreck like Sonic 06/Superman 64, although they DID have seperate issues, it wasn't absolute garbage. Seeing it as a mostly quirky thing or some harmless spin-off. With the lack of any "substantial"/main content, obviously more people are gonna feel burned.

Picking an unfitting artstyle also didn't help. Metroid, unlike Zelda almost always had a more serious or grounded artstyle. Rather than jumping between that and more cartoony styles every few games. Seeing how Hunters on the OG DS looked good for what it was, I think they should have made a sequel to that game instead, or at the very least, offered similar aesthetics. And mind you, Wind Waker failing to impress, regardless of what you think of the game(I personally like it, and Twilight Princess the most for the 3D titles), was a hit the Gamecube never recovered from.

Not that people should get as salty as they got, sometimes you gotta be patient. But I'm not exactly gonna comfort a corporation either.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
One good thing from this, is that it indicates Nintendo still has faith in Retro. After rumours that they were in trouble, had a cancelled title and was just overall run poorly, seeing Nintendo get them for MP4 is a good sign. Still, I have to wonder how many of the orignal MP trilogy team will be returning.
Something to note. Retro is being brought on to help. By how I understand it, they aren't leading the project.

Considering Nintendo made this announcement public-- a rarity for these sorts of projects-- announcing that Retro would be assisting is totally a PR move. And if they didn't have much faith in Retro's current management or staff, bringing them on as extra grunt work to speed up the process while severely limiting their creative input could be one way to best use the name brand to their advantage without actually putting the game in their hands.

I don't think there are many left on the team who had anything to do with the original trilogy. But I do love DKCR:TR. So I'll be content for now and wait to see more.

Side note, I wonder if that leaked MP Trilogy for Switch listing was a result of this decision, to placate thirsty Metroid fans for awhile. I wonder if that was Retro's most recent project: to port it over and familiarize their current team with the games inside and out.

Hm.

Last edited:

The Prankster 16

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5261-0723-0145
I feel like that Prime 4 update kinda shoots down the possibility of a Direct soon. I feel like this would have been saved for something like that, and announcing one soon after this announcement would be... Odd.
I don't think this brings down the chances for a direct at all, as this is a more serious topic, so it would not be fitting in a direct to go from "What wacky new people will you discover in Yo-Kai Watch 3?" to "I'm sorry to tell you that MP4 will not be coming out until 2024."

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Something to note. Retro is being brought on to help. By how i understand it, they arent leading the project.

Considering Nintendo made this announcement public-- a rarity for these sorts of projects-- announcing that Retro would be assisting is totally a PR move. And if they didn't have much faith in Retro's current management or staff, bringing them on as extra grunt work to speed up the process while severely limiting their creative input could be one way to best use the name brand to their advantage without actually putting the game in their hands.

I don't think there are many left on the team who had anything to do with the original trilogy. But I do love DKCR:TR. So I'll be content for now and wait to see more.

Side note, I wonder if that leaked MP Trilogy for Switch listing was a result of this decision, to placate thirsty Metroid fans for awhile. I wonder if that was Retro's most recent project: to port it over and familiarize their current team with the games inside and out.

Hm.
You bring up some good points.

I do hope the Trilogy does end up on Switch, if only because the only Prime game I didn't play was 3. So I want the chance to finish it.

D

Deleted member

Screw your Metroid Prime 4 delays
Breath of the Wild's Development cycle be darned
AFTER 3 AND A HALF YEARS, SOPHIEGTV FINALLY UPLOADED LPS POPULAR #29

Edit: Oh ****, did I break the thread again?
Oh **** I broke the thread
aaaaah I'm sorry

Last edited by a moderator:

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
Screw your Metroid Prime 4 delays
Breath of the Wild's Development cycle be darned
AFTER 3 AND A HALF YEARS, SOPHIEGTV FINALLY UPLOADED LPS POPULAR #29

Edit: Oh ****, did I break the thread again?
You think that’s bad? Kingdom Hearts 2 came out when I was 7. I’m 21 now

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Y'know what would be a cool spirit battle? First, you fight a Green Zero Suit Samus in Omega Living room. When she's defeated, a giant Monochrome Kirby spawns in her place and must be fought.

D

Deleted member

You think that’s bad? Kingdom Hearts 2 came out when I was 7. I’m 21 now
Oh yeah
Well, you know what they say: you win a game that was in development for years, you lose a game to a delay.
That's totally how the saying goes, right?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I hope FP season two has Shaggy Rojo in it.
The only Dragon Ball character that deserves to be in tbh

D

Deleted member

Agh this reminds me that I have to wait like another 5 years before the next big 3D Zelda game oof

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Agh this reminds me that I have to wait like another 5 years before the next big 3D Zelda game oof
Oh yeah? I have been waiting 14 years for F-Zero and have no idea how long I have to wait!

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I don't know why it should take them this long but it probably will: they'll decide to make it from scratch again when they could just pull another MM

And speaking of waiting times, lol@ Pikmin's completely erratic release schedule (3 year gap, 9 YEAR GAP, 5 year gap and counting)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Meanwhile Kid Icarus fans still have another 18 years left to wait until their next sequel from Uprising, which came out about 7 years ago....
RIP :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:

Last edited:

ccllr

Smash Cadet
Popular opinion but also not very spread:

Spanish dub in the game is absolutely horrendous. I haven't heard of a single mexican player (and maybe latin players in general) who play the game in spanish. The problem is that Nintendo often thinks the Spanish language of Spain works for all regions and they prefer to save a couple of bucks instead of working properly on their products localizations.

Spain's voice acting is horrible. You can look for it on social media or ask any hispanic friend about it. And I'm not even talking exclusively about Smash, but it's also garbage in TV Shows, movies, cartoons, etc.

Please help. I've played in english since Brawl. At least Ultimate gave me the option to change only the language of the game instead of changing the language of the whole console.

I wanted to open a thread to ask for support of other latin smashers, but I know that is not going to work. I just wanted to get it out of my chest.

D

Deleted member

Spanish dub in the game is absolutely horrendous. I haven't heard of a single mexican player (and maybe latin players in general) who play the game in spanish. The problem is that Nintendo often thinks the Spanish language of Spain works for all regions and they prefer to save a couple of bucks instead of working properly on their products localizations.

Spain's voice acting is horrible. You can look for it on social media or ask any hispanic friend about it. And I'm not even talking exclusively about Smash, but it's also garbage in TV Shows, movies, cartoons, etc.

Please help. I've played in english since Brawl. At least Ultimate gave me the option to change only the language of the game instead of changing the language of the whole console.

I wanted to open a thread to ask for support of other latin smashers, but I know that is not going to work. I just wanted to get it out of my chest.
I'm really sorry about that... :(

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
But the question is, are the Plant Gang really heroes? :ohwell:
Of course they are
Meanwhile in Half-Life 3..
Still has a better chance in getting a 3rd game than :ultfalcon: getting any new games
Zinith Zinith here’s your boy!
not realistic and actually cute
Meanwhile Kid Icarus fans still have another 18 years left to wait until their next sequel from Uprising, which came out about 7 years ago....
RIP :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
Smash is the long term epilogue for Kid Icarus, so Smash is now kind of a Kid Icarus spin-off (using both the og game and Brawl to connect with Uprising and then connecting Uprising to Sm4sh and Ultimate adds more lore in)...so there shall be no RIP to :ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
E29A44DD-F774-4378-8A63-CF923D3AE705.png
when Sakurai is keeping them alive and relevant without a sequel and had Uprising as a finale to the series while making new lore to the canon that also expands the series (RIP to :ultfalcon::ulticeclimbers::ultsnake:and most of the :ultrob: that died a decade ago).

RyuhoFox

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 1285-9221-5627
Meanwhile with the delay of MP4 we now have about as much info on that as we do on Bayonetta 3. Btw where is my Bayonetta 3 info Nintendo? NINTENDO? NINTENDO?!!

ccllr

Smash Cadet

Forgot to add: The sad and frustrating part is that when Nintendo/Namco sees the game's stats (assuming they are smart enough to track that kind of data from their games) they are going to see that very little latin players play the game in spanish and they are going to say: UHH!!! SO THEY DON'T LIKE OUR POOR LOCALIZATION! SO NO MORE SPANISH, ATTEMPTS TO LOCALIZE OR EVENTS IN THOSE REGIONS AT ALL! or some twisted **** like that. It makes me so mad.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Meanwhile with the delay of MP4 we now have about as much info on that as we do on Bayonetta 3. Btw where is my Bayonetta 3 info Nintendo? NINTENDO? NINTENDO?!!
Hopefully Nintendo/Sega/Platinum give us some updated info once there’s the first direct of 2019 or at worst E3

D

Deleted member

Hmm...Potentially interesting stuff on MP4.

If true, that definitely explains why development was going poorly. A game this big needs to be kept under one house and supervised heavily so that quality control can be maintained. Very happy Nintendo made the decisions they did if this is what legit went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom