• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
- Male: Majora's Mask Young Link
- Female: Linkle
- Non-human: Wolf Link
:troll:

inb4 "ACKSHUALLY LINKLE ISN'T A FEMALE LINK"
Not gonna lie if they actually did a Majora's Mask Link with mask transformations I'd drop all my other mains in a second. Knowing Smash though, his final smash still wouldn't be Fierce Deity. And he probably wouldn't even use the masks, just whip them out for taunts.

Also Wolf Link would be a completely acceptable 4th Link cos that'd mean Midna too plus some Wolf v Wolf shenanigans

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
If Prime 4 came out this year it would have killed Metroid again like Other M I’m sure. I’d definitely say this is more good than bad, even if we have a bit longer to wait.

I feel like even if the Prime trilogy rumors were fake Ninty might just whip it up as a quick way to hold fans over tbh

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So the first piece of Metroid Prime 4 news since E3 2017, huh? Frankly, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Am I glad that Nintendo is being honest and apologizing? Yes, it's VERY rare of them to do so. Am I glad Retro Studios is now on the development helm? Absolutely, but they should've been on development since the very beginning. I don't understand why that wasn't the case in the first place, since y'know, it's Metroid Prime. Not to mention, what about that five-year long project that nobody even knows about?

I feel as if my qualms lie on that we were told that development was going "smoothly" and that we're being told this at a time where we have a pretty "alright" January with games like Travis Strikes Again and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, have barely anything for February, and don't have a Direct yet still to update us about stuff like what'll come next month and the upcoming year ahead. Is Bayonetta 3 still alive? What's going on with other big franchises?

So now what'll headline 2019 and E3 this year? Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Yoshi's Crafted World will already be out by then for E3, so Animal Crossing and Smash Ultimate DLC ain't gonna cut it. Gotta need more, especially with being stacked against what'll most likely be new console announcements from Microsoft and definitely an announcement from Sony's end sometime this year.

I'm fine with Metroid Prime 4 being delayed, but I wish we were told under better circumstances.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
While disappointing, the news of Prime 4 being delayed should, in my opinion, be taken as bittersweet and not entirely bad.

I mean, if nothing else we’re seeing that Nintendo is not interested in sending out subpar content. Rather, they want solid content regardless of the game, regardless of the series it comes from.

I wasn’t sure what to think when I found out Retro wasn’t involved, but now knowing that they are i’m far more confident in what we’re going to get out of that game. Not only that, but I also have a ton of other games to get through for my backlog, so I have some time to get those done.

Hey, at least we’ve got Yoshi, Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing this year, right?
I have a huge back log of games I want this year - be it ones releasing this year or ones I didn't get from previous years due to not having a Switch/finances. This news isn't too bad for me.

Also Smash is there. Can never go wrong with Smash in the house.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Shiggy sez "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad"

So the delay's probably for the best. Though I disagree with the idea that a delayed game is guaranteed to be good. And games with tight development times can be good, though that really depends on the circumstances.

D

Deleted member

Well, it sucks to hear Prime 4 is essietnly hitting the restart button and we ain't gonna have it for a long time, but if you ask me, I'd rather they delay it as much as possible to make sure it's good. Breath of The Wild got delayed God knows how many times, and that game turned out to be freaking amazing. At with Retro Studios back at the development of Prime 4, my confidence is still strong in this game.

Thing is, with Prime 4 getting set backed like this, it seems like the only thing we have to look forward too is Animal Crossing and Smash DLC. And in regards to Fire Emblem, I'm now 100% sure Three Houses is getting delayed. We haven't heard anything about it in almost a year, and if this announcement is anything to go by, Nintendo will probably push Three Houses back.
I have a huge back log of games I want this year - be it ones releasing this year or ones I didn't get from previous years due to not having a Switch/finances. This news isn't too bad for me.

Also Smash is there. Can never go wrong with Smash in the house.
I too have a lot of other games to look forward too, so I'm not particularly worried about a shortage of games. I just wonder what the hell Nintendo's going to have in store for this year outside of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I really need to share my thoughts on this:

-Pros-
>This update proves that they care about the project, and they won’t show anything until it meets the standards. EA should learn more from Nintendo, and this is why.
>Retro Studios isn’t dead. This is great news, since they are still able to make a sequel of Tropical Freeze, and their experience will help a lot when making Metroid Prime 4. I was happy to see the studio still alive, and i wish the same for Level-5.
>It is now likely that Metroid Prime 4 gets the chance of being a highly praised game like BOTW, which went through a similar development. I’m not worried.
>It is great to see that Nintendo finds the reception regarding the project pretty positive. This means that they see interest and demand regarding the franchise, so we won’t see a lack of support from their part in a long time.
>This doesn’t mean that the game will end like Sonic 2006 or Sonic Forces. Nintendo is in general better than that, and they are working a lot to keep the track of awesome first party games on Switch strong.

-Cons-
>Being honest, the only huge negative i can think of is the fact that we have to wait, but it isn’t a huge deal.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm curious to hear of any potential comparisons to Earthbound's development history. I doubt things will start completely from scratch, in that ideas/concepts/art won't be completely thrown out, but it does sound-like we should expect a Late 2020-Mid 2021 release/~2 year push-back. Either way thank you Nintendo for being upfront with your audience.

My only real question is: what has Retro Studios been working on since Tropical Freeze if MP4 wasn't it?

And as a gut feeling, but given timing of this pre-recorded video, I wouldn't be surprised they're trying to get bad PR out of the way in advance of a coming Direct.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Dang, hearing about Prime 4 being delayed was rough. However, getting Retro back to work on it is fantastic since these guys were with the Prime series from the start. I am definitely willing to wait for this game even if it comes out when I’m turning 30 but I am curious about what the original plan for the game was.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Well, it sucks to hear Prime 4 is essietnly hitting the restart button and we ain't gonna have it for a long time, but if you ask me, I'd rather they delay it as much as possible to make sure it's good. Breath of The Wild got delayed God knows how many times, and that game turned out to be freaking amazing. At with Retro Studios back at the development of Prime 4, my confidence is still strong in this game.

Thing is, with Prime 4 getting set backed like this, it seems like the only thing we have to look forward too is Animal Crossing and Smash DLC. And in regards to Fire Emblem, I'm now 100% sure Three Houses is getting delayed. We haven't heard anything about it in almost a year, and if this announcement is anything to go by, Nintendo will probably push Three Houses back.

I too have a lot of other games to look forward too, so I'm not particularly worried about a shortage of games. I just wonder what the hell Nintendo's going to have in store for this year outside of Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.
They have a core Pokemon game this year. And Animal Crossing is no slouch.

In fact Metroid is probably the least important out of those four franchises to them.

D

Deleted member

They have a core Pokemon game this year. And Animal Crossing is no slouch.

In fact Metroid is probably the least important out of those four franchises to them.
Oh, forgot about Pokemon.

Well, regardless, this is bittersweet news, but ultimately the best course of action if you ask me.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Um...

Pokemon Gen 8 is coming this year. That's gonna be the biggest seller for Nintendo this year, by far.
Animal Crossing is also going to be a very big game this year too.

On the topic of FE: 3 Houses:

1. It's been about 6 months since we last got info (E3 2018).
2. Unlike MP4, we've actually seen gameplay of FE
3. Unlike MP4, we actually have a general release date of Spring 2019.

If we're getting a delay, it's not going to be along the levels of MP4. FE is more than likely to still come this year.

D

Deleted member

Um...

Pokemon Gen 8 is coming this year. That's gonna be the biggest seller for Nintendo this year, by far.
Animal Crossing is also going to be a very big game this year too.

On the topic of FE: 3 Houses:

1. It's been about 6 months since we last got info (E3 2018).
2. Unlike MP4, we've actually seen gameplay of FE
3. Unlike MP4, we actually have a general release date of Spring 2019.

If we're getting a delay, it's not going to be along the levels of MP4. FE is more than likely to still come this year.
Yeah, Three House isn't going to get pushed back like MP4 did. I'm just saying, I think there's a strong possibility that Three Houses might get pushed back further down the line in 2019.

Saetanigera

Smash Ace
No helping it I guess. They'll just have to do a full blown Smash Bros expansion to tide us over between releases.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I am so relieved by this. Ever since Prime 4 was revealed, and then apparently it was going to be developed by others that weren't Retro...then the supposed closing of their company, I was deeply saddened, because their games gave me so much fun and their artists are ones that I look up to because of the amazing talent and much more. This made my morning, it really did. Great things take time.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
"Animal Crossing 2019 News:
The reason you haven't seen any updates yet is because we didn't like what we did and decided to start from scratch and hand this to Retro Studios too."

:wario::warioc::wario::warioc:

D

Deleted member

Well, looks like this year I'll be giving my Switch a rest outside of Smash DLC. I'm not interested in the main Pokemon games and Animal Crossing, and ya'll already know how I feel about Fire Emblem, so I won't go into that.

I'm not worried though. There are a lot of other games coming out, like Doom Eternal, Resident Evil 2 Remake, Devil May Cry 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Sekiro Shadows Die Twice, and so on. I'm good as far as I'm concerned.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
Disappointing to see Prime 4 delayed, but Retro Studios back at them helm gives me a lot of confidence and Nintendo doing a video addressing the situation shows that they care a lot about this.

And this does increase the likely hood of the Metroid Prime Trilogy being released for the Switch, hopefully HD.

Pakky

Smash Hero
So the first piece of Metroid Prime 4 news since E3 2017, huh? Frankly, I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Am I glad that Nintendo is being honest and apologizing? Yes, it's VERY rare of them to do so. Am I glad Retro Studios is now on the development helm? Absolutely, but they should've been on development since the very beginning. I don't understand why that wasn't the case in the first place, since y'know, it's Metroid Prime. Not to mention, what about that five-year long project that nobody even knows about?

I feel as if my qualms lie on that we were told that development was going "smoothly" and that we're being told this at a time where we have a pretty "alright" January with games like Travis Strikes Again and New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, have barely anything for February, and don't have a Direct yet still to update us about stuff like what'll come next month and the upcoming year ahead. Is Bayonetta 3 still alive? What's going on with other big franchises?

So now what'll headline 2019 and E3 this year? Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Yoshi's Crafted World will already be out by then for E3, so Animal Crossing and Smash Ultimate DLC ain't gonna cut it. Gotta need more, especially with being stacked against what'll most likely be new console announcements from Microsoft and definitely an announcement from Sony's end sometime this year.

I'm fine with Metroid Prime 4 being delayed, but I wish we were told under better circumstances.
So sneaking suspicious that Nintendo forgot how a Metroid do.

I hope Retro can blanace this and that DK thing that may or my not being going on.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
HyperCharge's Smash Bros Roster Rant video has me fueled to finish writing my thoughts on Ultimate speculation. I have delayed writing this for too long. Has anyone seen the video?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Still in development, along with Shin Megami Tensei V.

Since when did so many upcoming games take ques from Half Life 3?
Lol that doesn't even exist. If it does the script is on Gabe's coffee table as a conversation piece.

MetaGiga

Smash Apprentice
I usually check in to see if games I’m interested in or have hype are good before making a decision. What I know is that I’m going to not check in at ALL for the next Pokémon game. I want to be surprised by the Pokémon. It’ll be hard to not be spoiled, but I’ll try my hardest

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
"Animal Crossing 2019 News:
The reason you haven't seen any updates yet is because we didn't like what we did and decided to start from scratch and hand this to Retro Studios too."

:wario::warioc::wario::warioc:
Man, if this did happen, Retro would sure have a lot of work on their hands. Lol

D

Deleted member

Just saw the news about Prime.

Look, I know some people are going to be very angry about this, but this was the right call. It sounds like this game was under development hell and was going nowhere. If they tried to force something out, not only would it tarnish the Metroid brand and potentially ruin it forever, it would probably kill the series.

The fact Nintendo is being so transparent with this shows that they care about this project and want it to be the best it can be for Metroid fans. Bringing Retro back on board is a genius move, and has increased my confidence in the project tenfold. Nintendo has plenty of major titles coming this year such as:

1. Deamon Ex-Machina
  2. FE Three Houses
  3. Yoshi's Crafted World
  4. Luigi's Mansion
  5. Animal Crossing
  6. Pokemon Gen 8
And probably more to be announced as the year goes on. Metroid Prime's current status is heartbreaking to us Metroid fans, but if this makes the game good in the end? Heck, delay it even more if you have to. The game being good is more important than how fast we get it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
What I know is that I’m going to not check in at ALL for the next Pokémon game. I want to be surprised by the Pokémon. It’ll be hard to not be spoiled, but I’ll try my hardest
Too bad, here's a spoiler: Game Freak is collaborating with Retro Studios.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom