• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Sakurais tweet yesterday?

Sakurai tweeted a reminder about redeeming Piranha Plant - which makes sense, given we're approaching the end of January, but it's still interesting that it coincides with the news of a version 2.0.0 update

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So... with the new update coming, do y'all think we'll see another character added to the code, and if so, who do you think it'll be, and what will their codename be?

I'm personally, not holding my breath, but we'll see

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So... with the new update coming, do y'all think we'll see another character added to the code, and if so, who do you think it'll be, and what will their codename be?

stopleakingmy****youslimy****s.chr

D

Deleted member

Ridley is definitely someone I could see getting buffed because a bunch of people think he's bad even though he's probably one of the best out of the big guys(not heavies though lol)

Mario1

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130

Banjo - the codename for Minecraft Steve.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Ridley is definitely someone I could see getting buffed because a bunch of people think he's bad even though he's probably one of the best out of the big guys(not heavies though lol)

Mario1
The opposite of Mario is Luigi
The opposite of 1 is an upside-down L

yup, it's him

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The next character to be datamined will be another basic adjective and everyone will try pigeon hole one possibility.

If Brave's not Erdrick. Every codename will be Erdrick.

It'll never stop.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
The next character to be datamined will be another basic adjective and everyone will try pigeon hole one possibility.

It'll never stop.
tbh we have no indication that fighter #2 will be the SE rep beyond the tenuous "brave=yuusha" connection and the way-too-obvious-for-a-codename "brave=bravely" connection. we'd be trying to link "Jack" to Erdrick if Joker hadn't been revealed yet.

D

Deleted member

It'll never stop.
Brave is being used as a noun, not an adjective though

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Disagree. There's no way to know this other than your own deduction of what it's being used as. The only people who know if it's being used as an adjective or noun for that code name? Sakurai and his team.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Disagree. There's no way to know this other than your own deduction of what it's being used as. The only people who know if it's being used as an adjective or noun for that code name? Sakurai and his team.
It's a codename
There has never been a codename that's an adjective in Smash
It can be used as a noun
Why would this specific one break the pattern?

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I don't there's a way to tell the difference in English.
Yuusha is most certainly a noun, but there's nothing saying Brave = Yuusha. That was just something the community ended up assuming.

It's a codename
There has never been a codename that's an adjective in Smash
It can be used as a noun
Why would this specific one break the pattern?
No reason not to.
People are looking way too hard into the "WHAT COULD IT MEAN" aspect

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
If it was being used as an adjective, it would be too vague for a codename. Codenames are supposed to hide an identity, but they have to come from somewhere. Just codenaming someone as brave because of their bravery means it could be literally anyone.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Also Plant's codename is onomatopoeia

The hole of trying to assume the logic behind codename decisions is probably one of the things that will make people even more surprised when it turns out the rules are broken just like with pre-release speculation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So, about Pirahna Plant. .
Does the game let you know if he’s been downloaded?
I have redeemed the code, and supposedly downloaded the fighter, I’m just not quite sure. .

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I still wonder why on earth they would even pick the English word 'brave' to begin with. If it does turn out to be Erdrick as expected, I'll accept the link; but as it stands right now, a group of Japanese developers going "hey let's make Erdrick's codename a rough English translation of his Japanese class name, that'll throw off those western dataminers" just strikes me as very odd. Realistically, the word 'brave' in English should have some relevance to Japanese devs, and I genuinely can't see the possibilities beyond Bravely or Sora's 'Brave' (or Valor) Form - and gee i wonder which side i'm on

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
So, about Pirahna Plant. .
Does the game let you know if he’s been downloaded?
I have redeemed the code, and supposedly downloaded the fighter, I’m just not quite sure. .
I was wondering this too - I've had the code sitting in my email box for ages, but only actually redeemed it via the Nintendo website today. It says it will be downloaded but I'm guessing that doesn't actually happen until the Plant is actually released? Can't check my Switch right now though

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
OK it's time for me to admit it

I am brave, alright?
But you kept asking questiiiions!

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
A patch? Noice - plus if the Plant's getting released alongside it, this would fit in with Sakurai's tweet yesterday

The real question though is who's gonna get buffed? And who's gonna get a dose of vitamin nerf?
Sakurai did say they're not paying attention to complaints on the internet so thankfully we should avoid cases like Smash 4 Little Mac or King Dedede where the character was unfairly gutted. With that said, I wouldn't be surprised to see characters like Inklings get minor nerfs since even if they don't deserve them, there are traits about them that get exploited even on Elite Smash that could get targeted. On the opposite end, characters with more obvert flaws like Bowser Jr. will probably get minor buffs since they're easy to pick out from the crowd.

Personally though, I hope they don't touch K. Rool. His traits aren't broken and just require you to play smarter, but since that differs from most characters where you can bull run them that gets him seen as OP despite having clear flaws.

Last edited:

Masked Marshmallow

Smash Lord
I still wonder why on earth they would even pick the English word 'brave' to begin with. If it does turn out to be Erdrick as expected, I'll accept the link; but as it stands right now, a group of Japanese developers going "hey let's make Erdrick's codename a rough English translation of his Japanese class name, that'll throw off those western dataminers" just strikes me as very odd. Realistically, the word 'brave' in English should have some relevance to Japanese devs, and I genuinely can't see the possibilities beyond Bravely or Sora's 'Brave' (or Valor) Form - and gee i wonder which side i'm on
The weirdest part is that if this really is a translated codename, it would be the first time they did something like this. Every other character has their japanese names on their data. Charizard being Lizardon, Villager being Murabito, etc. I doubt they would translate Yuusha just to put it in as a codename, I really think this Brave part is not translated and has something to do with the japanese names.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I was wondering this too - I've had the code sitting in my email box for ages, but only actually redeemed it via the Nintendo website today. It says it will be downloaded but I'm guessing that doesn't actually happen until the Plant is actually released? Can't check my Switch right now though
I think it does download, but it's a very tiny file - probably just a message to the game to treat PP as unlocked once the full character gets added.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I still wonder why on earth they would even pick the English word 'brave' to begin with.
It could be some complex conspiracy theory, or it could be just the fact that English words are just used a lot in different contexts in Japanese.

It could be "a brave", it could be "bravery" as it relates to courage (Link, for example), it could be an adjective ("Brave" as an english word is a noun and an adjective in Japanese) describing anyone particularly brave relative to the normal hero, who knows lol

The answer is nobody. Nobody here knows.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Wait, did everyone already get their code?
Got mine ages ago. Search your inbox- mine ended up in my promotions folder on Gmail so my phone never told me I got it. Could probably end up in spam.
Make sure you've registered your game also.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
It could be some complex conspiracy theory, or it could be just the fact that English words are just used a lot in different contexts in Japanese.

It could be "a brave", it could be "bravery" as it relates to courage (Link, for example), it could be an adjective ("Brave" as an english word is a noun and an adjective in Japanese) describing anyone particularly brave relative to the normal hero, who knows lol

The answer is nobody. Nobody here knows.
anyway here's why brave is actually a pokemon trainer mishmash of erdrick, agnes and sora

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Got mine ages ago. Search your inbox- mine ended up in my promotions folder on Gmail so my phone never told me I got it. Could probably end up in spam.
Make sure you've registered your game also.
I am sure I registered my game already, but I have not recieved an email yet. Is there something I did wrong?

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Also is January 31st the deadline just for registering Ultimate and receiving the code or for receiving the code and actually redeeming it?

D

Deleted member

When I check my own Piranha Plant code on the website it says it's already redeemed.
As in, it was redeemed when I asked the site to do it.

So it might just mean that we'll be able to manually download it for free, or it's already attached to the game as soon as it's been redeemed on the site.

I dunno tho.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Patch 2.0.0 is coming soon!
Possible Plant DLC release?

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Also is January 31st the deadline just for registering Ultimate and receiving the code or for receiving the code and actually redeeming it?
redeeming it

also oh ****, 31st is the deadline isn't it
thursday direct conspiracy theory with a PP release on 1st February grows every minute

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom