• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Duh, doesn't mean they're selling quality. Kardashian DVD box sets sell millions. I guess that's quality tv right?
How does the game play though.

That's the real deciding factor for the quality of a game.

Last edited by a moderator:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Duh, doesn't mean they're selling quality. Kardashian DVD box sets sell millions. I guess that's quality tv right?
Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't mean others can't.

People genuinely enjoy watching "shlock" like the Kardashians or playing formulaic games.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

People genuinely enjoy watching "shlock" like the Kardashians or playing formulaic games.
But the world only revolves around me and people who like what I don't are beneath me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You have to wonder if there's any sort of customs office in the Pokémon world that handles trainers bringing in Pokémon from other regions. Like, I'd imagine certain species would be considered invasive in certain regions, especially ones with more at risk ecology like Alola. Like, "Sorry, you can't bring your Mandibuzz here when the Cubone population is at risk," that kind of thing.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd rather they keep the game optimized tbh.

I read BoTW had some lag issues.

Also, as much as I like Kirby, Star Allies makes my Switch's fans cry for mercy.

am also disappointed that Scorbunny in the poll isn't Flaming Chungus.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace

People can enjoy something that's low quality doesn't mean it's not low quality.

What's wrong with having high explanations anyway?

Some of us just want more in a game not like the fans whi buy anything won't enjoy having more content...

D

Deleted member

Same as the other pokemon games, i know exactly what to expect.

Tetris plays well too. Would you buy tetris every year for full price?
If I like Tetris and want a new one, yes. I personally would.

I think the real problem here is insinuating that there's an objective right or wrong with buying Pokemon even though it is formulaic. Just a game. Ain't that important.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
*slaps TheCJBrine* Feel better?

Right now, the best thing Pokémon can do is include "Veteran Modes".

Before the game even starts, do something like what MGS3 did and ask some simple questions about your prior playing experience (MGS3 asked you what your favourite MGS game was, though you could also say you had never played an MGS game before, it influenced the opening cutscenes slightly).

If you say "I've never played a Pokémon game before"; you get all the tutorials you need to get up to speed.
If you say "I'm familiar with the Pokémon formula"; the game will skip the basic tutorial cutscenes, though mechanics new to the game won't be skipped.
If you say "I've played this game before"; all tutorials are skipped.
If you say "I'm looking for a Challenge!"; not only will all tutorials be skipped, but trainers will have slightly modified teams (basically BW2 Hard Mode).
I had a shower thought sometime last year: what's the total amount of time that humanity has wasted playing unnecessary Pokemon tutorial sections?

Those games were mostly plagued by poor animations and unappealing designs, though. Pokemon SwSh hasn't displayed any problems like that yet.

TBH this is all subjective. If you like the way it looks, cool. If not, that's unfortunate, but there isn't really anything that can be done about it. The game looks the way it looks.
Animations and designs are still part of the game's visual presentation. If Ultimate hired amateurs to do its art, and the game looked hideous, but the gameplay was untouched, the game would've had much less success. When Ridley and K. Rool were announced, part of the celebration was because of how good their designs looked. If the team had butchered their designs instead, the reaction would've been a lot more mixed.

I'm not saying Pokemon is displaying anything like that, I'm just using those as famous examples where a game's visuals that are independent of the gameplay were the target of near universal ridicule. Most people agreed that Andromeda's gameplay was fine, save for some bugginess, and I haven't heard anything bad about Jump Force's gameplay, but boy were the gifs popular.

It is subjective in terms of how each individual perceives things. Some may not notice graphical issues at all, and some may be highly sensitive to it. Some may tolerate it, others may be too nitpicky.

D

Deleted member

Here is a nice fact for you all.
Xander Mobus's favorite starter is Totodile.

Also my post got deleted for censor dodging, even though I put a spoiler in.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Everyone in here claiming their favorite new Starter and I'm just here looking at them like:

The first evolution is usually my least favorite to be honest but I haven't been adequately disappointed in a starter lineup, well, ever. Until now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Here is a nice fact for you all.
Xander Mobus's favorite starter is Totodile.

Also my post got deleted for censor dodging, even though I put a spoiler in.
Xander is really good actually.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I like the new poll options, but I'm feeling lonely here...

I think they all look cute, so I really want to see where they're all going before I commit to any of them. I don't have a strong pull for any of them. Yet.
Since you’re feeling lonely...just remember Captain America might be dying in Avengers Endgame and then you’ll be able to choose your new Pokémon out of sadness and the need for comfort

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I think the real problem here is insinuating that there's an objective right or wrong with buying Pokemon even though it is formulaic. Just a game. Ain't that important.
Because people can vote with their wallets and force companies to change for the better.

When battlefront 2 fans took a stand agaisnt EA despite it being freaking star wars and sales tanked EA was forced to listen and change the game for the better.

I just wish that more people would call out and push companies to do better because i know devs have a creative passion to make the best game possible. But publisher time constraints make it impossible so we grt quantity over quality.

I think lets go pikachu was lazy and i think sword and shield look the same old same old. I wish things were different but that's the reality.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I had a shower thought sometime last year: what's the total amount of time that humanity has wasted playing unnecessary Pokemon tutorial sections?
Several hours for each person.

Multiply that by the millions who play Pokémon...

D

Deleted member

Because people can vote with their wallets and force companies to change for the better.

When battlefront 2 fans took a stand agaisnt EA despite it being freaking star wars and sales tanked EA was forced to listen and change the game for the better.

I just wish that more people would call out and push companies to do better because i know devs have a creative passion to make the best game possible. But publisher time constraints make it impossible so we grt quantity over quality.

I think lets go pikachu was lazy and i think sword and shield look the same old same old. I wish things were different but that's the reality.
I'll speak with my wallet by buying Pokemon SwoSh

D

Deleted member

Battlefront was a completely different situation than this game.

The game looks fine and will most likely play great. IMO, that's all that matters. :drshrug:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If there's one thing I'll critique about the 3DS Pokemon models in XY, it's that they can feel pretty stiff in their animations, especially with the pre-Gen 6 ones. The idles don't really bounce and shift to give off a proper vibe of the Pokémon, and the attack animations can also be a little lacking in liveliness as well, which kind of makes them come off pretty rigid. It's particularly bad with the flying Pokemon since most of them don't flap their wings when they move, so they're stuck in a weird glide in one spot which makes them look very awkward.

With that said, Gen 7 was better about that. They clearly had a better handle on 3D modeling, and also designed Pokémon around it, so their designs were better suited for 3D and their animations were better implemented. It still could use some tweaking of course, but in general Pokemon like Incineroar pop out a lot more when compared to their predecessors.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Pokemon Sword and Shield is secretly Game Freak's way of causing a war in the fanbase.

It's in the name, even; those are war weapons, my dudes.

Last edited:

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Battlefront was a completely different situation than this game.

The game looks fine and will most likely play great. IMO, that's all that matters. :drshrug:
The principal is what matters. I'd argue lets go series was a bigger cash grab than battlefront 2 tbh

Roberk

Smash Champion
Everyone in here claiming their favorite new Starter and I'm just here looking at them like:

The first evolution is usually my least favorite to be honest but I haven't been adequately disappointed in a starter lineup, well, ever. Until now.
I'm warming up to them with memes but going off of purely official footage, I just really don't like em. I'd say I'm waiting for the final evolutions as well but in the past, I generally liked the base forms along with the third forms. I think its a combination of the art style and designs overall, none are all that appealing.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
I'm warming up to them with memes but going off of purely official footage, I just really don't like em. I'd say I'm waiting for the final evolutions as well but in the past, I generally liked the base forms along with the third forms. I think its a combination of the art style and designs overall, none are all that appealing.
Of course we cannot reach the heights of the original starters which were genius but thats an impossible job. The new starters are safe but easy on the eyes, cant ask for too much more

KMDP

Smash Legend
Exactly.

Wanna replay Fire Red? Time to sit through the Pokeball tutorial for the 6th time.
Don't forget that they forced a tutorial into the first battle against Blue.

They forced tutorials in FRLG despite the fact that they included the Teachy TV for the express purpose of including tutorials. :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom