• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Tbh, if graphics is your top priority for a video game, Nintendo really isn't the best company for you.

Their games look good, but that's not their main priority when making games.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
i hope gen 9 the graphics remain roughly the same and they just work hardcore on the gameplay

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
If your objective was to make me cringe as much as humanly possible reading that you've succeeded. Sorry my opinion on a game offended you so much you had to passive aggressively insult me with thinly veiled sarcasn
I'm only taking you as seriously as you're taking yourself, my guy

WaxPython

Smash Ace
And normally I'd wholeheartedly agree, but we're talking about graphics.

If GameFreak thought an extra year or two of touch-ups would create gameplay that's far superior to anything we've had before, I'd be completely fine with that. But delaying a game an extra year solely because you want better graphics when the current product already looks pretty freakin' good in HD? I really don't think it's worth it, especially when there's so much riding on this game continuing the momentum of the Switch.
It's not about the graphics it's about pushing the envelope with a sense of scale like BOTW did. It launched on wii u but didn't look or feel last gen. That's what I'm talking about.

I don't want photo realism, i want a technical marvel that pushes the switch.

At this stage you could comfortably run sword and shield on the wii.

The chibi design works for handhelds. Not so much for consoles

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I thought the visuals of the game were above average. It's about what I expected, given that the game's only been in development for two years. It's not on the level of some other Switch exclusives, but it's got great art direction, which is what matters most.

My main concern was how choppy the footage looked. It looked like it was running at 20 FPS. Though obviously they'll have that to at least 30 by the time the game ships.
Pretty much this. The 3DS artstyle can be pretty appealing if its running really smoothly. I actually like most of the models, they're really smooth and look great in HD which is why it was suspected from the start that they were going to use them for a console game. But that's also why certain Pokemon such as Nidoking look weird as they look too smooth for a rigged pokemon.

But yeah, art style is one thing, but when the game itself runs so choppy, oof.

KMDP

Smash Legend
> Loves NES and GB games (literally any graphics) and the 3DS Pokemon
> Am arguing about the quality of a Switch game
> Thought SuMo was good, even if most trainers had one Pokemon (this is all me)

someone slap me.
*slaps TheCJBrine* Feel better?

Right now, the best thing Pokémon can do is include "Veteran Modes".

Before the game even starts, do something like what MGS3 did and ask some simple questions about your prior playing experience (MGS3 asked you what your favourite MGS game was, though you could also say you had never played an MGS game before, it influenced the opening cutscenes slightly).

If you say "I've never played a Pokémon game before"; you get all the tutorials you need to get up to speed.
If you say "I'm familiar with the Pokémon formula"; the game will skip the basic tutorial cutscenes, though mechanics new to the game won't be skipped.
If you say "I've played this game before"; all tutorials are skipped.
If you say "I'm looking for a Challenge!"; not only will all tutorials be skipped, but trainers will have slightly modified teams (basically BW2 Hard Mode).

D

Deleted member

why does the monkey have a beak
It's mouth is just a different color because it's based off of New World Monkeys. Some such as the squirrel monkey have distinctly different colored mouths.

Yes I know you're most likely memeing

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not about the graphics it's about pushing the envelope with a sense of scale like BOTW did. It launched on wii u but didn't look or feel last gen. That's what I'm talking about.

XY and ORAS had that chibi look. The chibi look has been removed ever since SM.

Didn't you literally complain about Sword and Shield graphics?

A "technical marvel that pushes the Switch"? That means you want it advanced.

"At this stage you could comfortably run sword and shield on the wii."

What??? It works perfectly fine on the Switch, and it looks better than probably all Wii games. Those graphics look good. Also, do not judge a game merely of the graphics. The graphics are really good anyways. What do you want them to do? Make it revolutionary like BOTW? They are probably going to do that. This is their first mainstream game on the Switch.

They can introduce new concepts in the game, you know.
We only got around three minutes of footage. The game can be different and a blast, for all we know.

You should not judge things too fast. I am sure Sword and Shield will be fantastic!

That is my last piece of advice to you.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I like the new poll options, but I'm feeling lonely here...

I think they all look cute, so I really want to see where they're all going before I commit to any of them. I don't have a strong pull for any of them. Yet.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Remember when people played video games because they were fun to play and not to sit there staring at the screen thinkin' about

I mean, people always say "lol graphics don't matter, it's only about the gameplay" but then as soon as games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Jump Force hit the scene with major visual issues, then everyone points and laughs and complains about the graphics, and discussion of the gameplay is almost never found.

Presentation matters. With a video game, you're spending your entire time looking at the screen. If what's on the screen isn't appealing to look at, then that's a critical flaw in the experience.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I like the new poll options, but I'm feeling lonely here...

I think they all look cute, so I really want to see where they're all going before I commit to any of them. I don't have a strong pull for any of them. Yet.
I guess I'm waiting to see who will pick Trashmon first.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, people always say "lol graphics don't matter, it's only about the gameplay" but then as soon as games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Jump Force hit the scene with major visual issues, then everyone points and laughs and complains about the graphics, and discussion of the gameplay is almost never found.

Presentation matters. With a video game, you're spending your entire time looking at the screen. If what's on the screen isn't appealing to look at, then that's a critical flaw in the experience.
Those games were mostly plagued by poor animations and unappealing designs, though. Pokemon SwSh hasn't displayed any problems like that yet.

TBH this is all subjective. If you like the way it looks, cool. If not, that's unfortunate, but there isn't really anything that can be done about it. The game looks the way it looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Because he's a Chimpanzee.

Chimpanzees have pronounced mouths which look kind of like beaks when simplified the way Grookey is.
It's not based off a chimp though, seems to clearly be based off of a monkey. Specifically a Squirrel Monkey, as I posted earlier. Since those are the ones who are known with the distinct color mouths. Chimpanzees on the other hand have mouths the same color as their skin. It just sticks out because of their hair.

LetterO

Smash Lord

I found an appropriate tweet.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

WaxPython

Smash Ace
The chibi look has been removed ever since SM.
No it hasn't Coliseum shows us the way a human should be proportioned, shield and words are still chibi.

I know gamefreak lol if they were going to push the boundaries of what can be done in a pokemon game it would have besn revealed by now.

Instead we will get

A new villain team
A new battle mechanic
New pokemon
New moves

Cya gen 4 remakes

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No it hasn't Coliseum shows us the way a human should be proportioned, shield and words are still chibi.

I know gamefreak lol if they were going to push the boundaries of whay can be done in a pokemon game it woukdhave besn revealed by now.

Instead we will get

A new villain team
A new battle mechanic
New pokemon
New moves

Cya gen 4 remakes
They are still gonna sell gangbusters though, lol.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Because it can.

Anything is possible in the world of Pokemon!
The fact that you’re completely right somewhat proves how sane we are with new Pokémon characters
Bro, an AI could run Pokemon with how successful it is nowadays.

At this point, it's an unsinkable ship.
Nintendo wouldn’t allow one of their top franchises to be even a centimeter close to sinking its ship. Even making Pokémon into Fortnite X Cooking Mama will cause no harm...that’s how unkillable Pokémon is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom