• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Why were :ultsheik: and :ultbayonetta: not allowed to enlist in the army as a soldier?
BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT KILL!

Last edited by a moderator:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If you assumed I had the appearance and mental stability of Harley Quinn you might not be too far off. :teeth:

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Brawl's development started in time for him to have played the Japanese version of MP2. I blame the Final Smash concept more than anything, not because he couldn't think of one for DS, but because he wanted Samus's to have a drawback that requires a lot of resources.
I misremembered the first Brawl trailer being in 2005, not 2006, so I was a bit confused. I don't think the gameplay functionality of the Final Smash really had anything to do with it, otherwise more characters would have drawbacks to their Final Smashes as well. It was probably just a creative and appropriate way to implement the character into the game (being version of Samus), which was abandoned when they opted to make her individually viable.

I think the better answer is that it wasn't until Ultimate that Sakurai came to the realization that there were too few villains in the roster. He's said in an interview or column somewhere recently that he realized that a roster full of nothing but standard hero types would be rather boring (hence, Piranha Plant). And when you look at the other Echo Fighters added to Ultimate, you see how they're relatively similar characters to the original:
  • :ultpeach: :ultdaisy:
  • :ultsimon: :ultrichter:
  • :ultroy: :ultchrom:
  • :ultryu: :ultken:
None of them are villains, whereas Dark Samus is unarguably evil and alien. That's able to be communicated easily through Dark Samus's animations, too, making her a good pick for an Echo Fighter who would serve an underrepped series while also adding a unique personality to the table without requiring a whole new moveset (even though Dark Samus is fully capable of having a unique and interesting moveset, but given the limited popularity, not worth the time and effort).

But back then, Sakurai wasn't looking to villains as newcomers. He was looking for protagonists or other characters that had more spotlight and broader appeal, when Dark Samus wasn't focused on too much in Metroid Prime 2. It wasn't until MP3 that Dark Samus became the main antagonist and focus of the story, which is probably when Sakurai noticed her more and why she was considered for Ultimate at all. It was a specific confluence of circumstances that made it all happen.

I think that's probably an accurate answer for why Dark Samus was added in Ultimate.

I can't see Zero Suit Samus leaving honestly. And I still think she's the best, and most logical second character for Metroid. How's that for a first blow?

The reason why I found Dark Samus to be a weird addition, is because she's essentially a "dead" character. She likely won't be in Prime 4, but if she is, she will likely stay around.

Dixie also isn't suitable for a Echo, but I appriciate the sentiment.
I don't think there are as many people attached to ZSS as Ridley. Ridley is a completely unique character with a different role and personality, whereas ZSS is just Samus but with sex appeal. There's a reason why Ridley was so requested even after ZSS, because most Metroid fans don't care about ZSS. Dark Samus is also much more than just "another version of Samus," as compared to other typical "dark" characters, there's more differences than similarities between the two.

Eh, Ganondorf is dead, too. He wasn't at the time of Melee's release, but he's been dead since Twilight Princess in 2006. And given Breath of the Wild's ending, it's unlikely we'll see Ganon appear at all for a long time. We won't be seeing Dark Samus again, either, but she's the most prominent character in Metroid after Samus and Ridley, despite having only two appearances, because that's how starved for characters the franchise is.

Dixie would need some of the Chrom or Ken treatment as far as Echo Fighters go, though Funky Kong would've been an easy Echo for DK.

D

Deleted member

Skimmed through the pages, glad to see the consensus for how Xenoblade was treated in Ultimate is not good. :nifty:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
:ultsamus:: I think there's too many Metroid character honestly, and it's because of Dark Samus. I don't think Dark Samus was the optimal choice for a Echo Fighter honestly.
Admit it, you only think that because Retro's working on Metroid and not another DK game. :4pacman:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Brawl's development started in time for him to have played the Japanese version of MP2. I blame the Final Smash concept more than anything, not because he couldn't think of one for DS, but because he wanted Samus's to have a drawback that requires a lot of resources.
It's an interesting philosophy.

Changing characters to fit moveset ideas vs changing moveset ideas to fit characters.
Like Ike, Ganondorf, ZSS, Shulk and the like serve as more bases for Sakurai's moveset wants as compared to characters like Simon or Link who are more direct translations from their original selves.

Anyway yeah, if I could have Dark Samus unique and Zero Suit as just a reference in a final smash, victory, or intro, I would've definitely taken that option, lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I can not belive Night Fury was in Smash Bros since Brawl.
Zard.jpg
Zard2.jpg

I do not know why I have not thought about that until recently.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Is this too many changes from :ultdiddy:for Dixie for her too be considered an echo?

Aside from animation differences:
-Unique double jump that uses her ponytail.
-modified N-Special that uses her Bubblegum Popgun with smaller ammunition, less damage, travels farther and can be fired rapidly.
-:ultdk: Up and Down specials performed with her ponytail.

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Is this too many changes from :ultdiddy:for Dixie for her too be considered an echo?

Aside from animation differences:
-Unique double jump that uses her ponytail.
-modified N-Special that uses her Bubblegum Popgun with smaller ammunition, less damage, travels farther and can be fired rapidly.
-:ultdk: Up and Down specials performed with her ponytail.
Honestly I think that without the rapid Fire this would be a fine echo

D

Deleted member

:ultsamus:: I think there's too many Metroid character honestly, and it's because of Dark Samus. I don't think Dark Samus was the optimal choice for a Echo Fighter honestly.
Sakurai has a major bias towards Metroid, there’s too many gun users who are stealing slots from characters who deserve to be in the game such as Geno!

D

Deleted member

I feel like a good 60% of people who want Geno are people who never played Mario RPG and think they are cool.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I feel like a good 60% of people who want Geno are people who never played Mario RPG and think they are cool.
I mean I haven’t had the chance to play the game, but when I wanted Geno by that point I’ve seen several playthroughs of the game so I know what Geno is capable of. (Also I was reading Loopy-Lupe’s Seven Star comics around that time so that might’ve contributed as well.)

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I wanna reveal my face as well
C058B36B-2966-4B61-BBAB-F3FDEB33EE34.png
good taste View attachment 194356

well tbf you really cant compare a research god like him to mere mortals like us
Scientifically true
Alright, y'all...

Face reveal time!
Wait a minute...this doesn’t look like Female Corrin at all...LIES!!!!?
Why were :ultsheik: and :ultbayonetta: not allowed to enlist in the army as a soldier?
BECAUSE THEY CAN NOT KILL!
what
Face reveal time:

Hot

Ultomato

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW 1995 0060 1138
Meanwhile Polygon is also asking the hard questions, like "What is the hottest monster in Castlevania?"

Turns out these people can actually be quite entertaining and likeable when they're making creative and fun content talking about video games, instead of being moralistic crusaders.
Brians video's are honestly the best.
My favourite is still the one where he Figures out which Megaman robotmasters were really worth risking a robot Uprising to make them sentient

D

Deleted member

I watched this episode that made me mad.

This robot pitcher named Casey was about to beat the Giants in Baseball, but the Robot gets a personality and lets them score points because he feels bad.
Why? If I were a robot, I would beat my opposing team's butt.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So, apparently FNAF had some official haunted house a few years ago and DANG that looks good.

For some reason, the actual on stage animatronics aren't this good. I wish they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom