• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, playing a bad character doesn't mean you're doomed to fail not to mention GSP is a garbage system that nobody can ****ing figure out
I guess I just don't see him as genrally bad due to the tagging that his projectiles can accomplish.

I will say his ending lag is a little much. Though having multiple bury options (one was nerfed) ain't too bad.

I do wish his reflect wasn't as bad as it is though :ultkingdedede: being better than :ultkrool: feels incorrect.

As far as being incoherent, I don't know I just don't see how he wouldn't have the moves he has now.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Let’s all appreciate a great quote from Yakko Warner.
“Wait a second, you expect us poor, innocent children to climb up dangerous scaffolding and paint naked people all over a church? WE’L DO IT! But we’re not doin’ it for the sake of art. And we’re not doin’ it money. No, we’re doin it because... we like painting naked people.”

Last edited:

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
It was so good it got nerfed. I know that was not the main reason why they were good, but it was a good tool.
It was really only good for getting another jump when recovering. It is a horrible tool in neutral against a competent player. It's extremely predictable and can easily be avoided and punished, especially if you have a projectile

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Was I not supposed to? I just play smash with people at my university a lot, and the word "main" seems to have lost meaning for many of them. I will hear one person call 8 different character their "main" when that simply is just not what a main is
I've come to a mental compromise with the people that """"main"""" 30 characters.

They like those characters tangentially enough to play them sometimes. It doesn't necessarily mean they're great with all of them.

D

Deleted member

I can't tell if you're taking my word for truth or not.

His main problem is that he doesn't show up at majors and large events very much, and perhaps that doesn't lead to the best placements for him.
That's a problem with a lot of characters really, People are afraid to experiment with characters so they just choose characters who are assumed to be the best instead of trying to push characters to their full potential.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My trio of mains are :ultrosalina::ultmewtwo::ultridley:and I initially chose them solely because their my favorite characters. After a while, I actually got good with all three.

Aside from them though, I don't feel confident with anyone else.

Maybe I should pick up Marth and Link so I can claim that I main 7 characters on top of the other three. I'd technically master :ultmarth::ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom::ultlink::ultyounglink: and :ulttoonlink: just by maining one of the FE characters and one Link.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
My question was why do you think God didnt take mercy on me and killed me early in life when I felt out the window as a baby
Serious answer? I don't think God had anything to do with it.

**** happens, and some people live, some people die. Why did my best friend get cancer and die before we all got to college? Why not me instead? He had much more going for him than I did. God didn't decide he needed to die and I didn't; his cells just got cancer and mine didn't.

You're alive, and that's all that matters. Because the alternative is final. Now you get to write your own story instead of having it prematurely end. Congratulations.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
That's a problem with a lot of characters really, People are afraid to experiment with characters so they just choose characters who are assumed to be the best instead of trying to push characters to their full potential.
People are "afraid" in that they're also putting down a large chunk of time and money and that it'd be stupid to throw that investment away picking an obviously exploitable character.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Was I not supposed to? I just play smash with people at my university a lot, and the word "main" seems to have lost meaning for many of them. I will hear one person call 8 different character their "main" when that simply is just not what a main is
I'll just keep things to myself.

ClaTheBae

Smash Master
I've come to a mental compromise with the people that """"main"""" 30 characters.

They like those characters tangentially enough to play them sometimes. It doesn't necessarily mean they're great with all of them.
No that's fine but they're using the wrong word. I can honestly say "I play Shiek"or "I play Ike" because I do. I know Shiek and Ike. I know what their moves do. I know their combos. I know what to do in various situations these characters may find themselves in. As a matter of fact, a lot of people do. A lot of people know how to play a bunch of characters in the game, but that doesn't make them a "main" so to speak. Your main(s) is the character(s) you're most confident with. If you are equally confident with 15 characters, then you have no main. You just play 15 characters.
I'll just keep things to myself.
I wasn't intending to be rude, just trying to bring light to a misconception that gets thrown around a lot

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yes, you got a point.

I am still in that "Trying to find a genuine main" spot, but I end up really liking a handful of characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
No that's fine but they're using the wrong word. I can honestly say "I play Shiek"or "I play Ike" because I do. I know Shiek and Ike. I know what their moves do. I know their combos. I know what to do in various situations these characters may find themselves in. As a matter of fact, a lot of people do. A lot of people know how to play a bunch of characters in the game, but that doesn't make them a "main" so to speak. Your main(s) is the character(s) you're most confident with. If you are equally confident with 15 characters, then you have no main. You just play 15 characters.
You're right. At the same time, I think the people in this situation aren't serious Smash competitors so if they're using the word incorrectly, whatever.

It's better than maining Kirby's downB and items.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
People are "afraid" in that they're also putting down a large chunk of time and money and that it'd be stupid to throw that investment away picking an obviously exploitable character.
That's a reason I don't play in the monthly SF tournaments at our local weeklies hangout.

I play Juri and Sakura. They're bad. I'll have fun but they charge $5 at the door and I'm not gonna pay them $5 for a guaranteed loss. I'd rather just play at the friendlies and online with the characters I like. If I wanted to win those tournaments, I'd switch back to Cammy or pick up Rashid or something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Everyone is literally ignoring the fact that I have a lot of characters I really like to play.
I still can not find a main, because I like a lot of characters.
What do I do? Please stop ignoring me and actually help me.
including echos? It's a bit more than that buddy.
Oooh, you are correct.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Honestly that's kinda why Fighting games are kinda bad genre.

You do all this work and have this high stake tourneys though only a small portion of the characters get played.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
D

Deleted member

Everyone is literally ignoring the fact that I have a lot of characters I really like to play.
I still can not find a main, because I like a lot of characters.
What do I do? Please stop ignoring me and actually help me.

Oooh, you are correct.
You wasn't asking for help, you was saying that you don't have a main, so I don't see why you're pissed off that you're not getting any help when it seemed like you didn't want any.

D

Deleted member

Yeah fair point. I never said that it didn't make sense cause it does make sense why nobody chooses to push a Low tier's meta but it be more interesting if more people chose to do so.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

You do all this work and have this high stake tourneys though only a small portion of the characters get played.
I mean, you're describing the competitive scene, not the game itself. And at that point you're just describing sports.

Football is dominated by the Patriots, basketball is dominated by the Warriors, baseball is dominated by the 4-5 teams who just have way more money than everyone else. This isn't a fault of the sport so much as the natural path of competition. When things compete, one will naturally be better than the other. That's what competition is.

D

Deleted member

You weren't asking for help, you were saying that you don't have a main, so I don't see why you're pissed
I am not mad. I just was desperate.
Also I fixed it for you.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, you're describing the competitive scene, not the game itself. And at that point you're just describing sports.

Football is dominated by the Patriots, basketball is dominated by the Warriors, baseball is dominated by the 4-5 teams who just have way more money than everyone else. This isn't a fault of the sport so much as the natural path of competition. When things compete, one will naturally be better than the other. That's what competition is.
I agree but isn't the natural way of a fighting game's life is to generate a completive scene?

If so shouldn't the characters reflect as much?

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

That's the reality of any kind of competition and its why patches exist and why people get hyped over less seen characters. There doesn't exist a game on this planet that people will compete and min-max on.

Because of that though, when something unexpected happens people go wild. Like in Tekken 7's world tour grand finals, the person that took it was a person playing the undisputed worst character in the game winning it over one of the best players in the world playing the arguable best character in the game.

Pakky

Smash Hero
That's the reality of any kind of competition and its why patches exist and why people get hyped over less seen characters. There doesn't exist a game on this planet that people will compete and min-max on.

Because of that though, when something unexpected happens people go wild. Like in Tekken 7's world tour grand finals, the person that took it was a person playing the undisputed worst character in the game winning it over one of the best players in the world playing the arguable best character in the game.
That's true. I remember dudes going nuts at someone winning Worlds with Patchirisu back in Pokémon ORAS.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Out of all the characters in my “main” category, I’d consider :ultridley::ultwolf::ultbowser: to be my best. I’m still good w/ :ultbowserjr::ultzelda: and :ultpiranha::ultpalutena:(who I’m considering moving to mains instead of secondaries) are probably my weakest.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ok so holy crap.
There is this youtuber, To is the most popular Youtuber in the FNAF community, and he played a game I voice in.
Wheeze

Edit: Dev just sent me a message saying I’m not in it because he lost my lines. Crap.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I mean, playing a bad character doesn't mean you're doomed to fail not to mention GSP is a garbage system that nobody can ****ing figure out
I agree with you on that.

Though :ultkrool: having a 'fan made moveset'
Just doesn't seem correct, Like Down B is original and everything else is something he does in the games so. I don't know. What else would he do?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Professor Pumpkaboo Professor Pumpkaboo I uh...I don't think I can answer your question.

Your here now though. You survived, you're alive with all of us. I see that as a sign that you were meant to stay in the world of the living, even when it seemed you were doomed.
i just feel sometimes it should of ended the other way around

D

Deleted member

That's true. I remember dudes going nuts at someone winning Worlds with Patchirisu back in Pokémon ORAS.
Ultimately, I think a game that’s completely 100% balanced is less entertaining than one that’s not. The upsets and crazy picks can breathe life into a game’s competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom