• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Ultimate Social Thread: Under Construction. Be Back Soon!

What are you most excited about for E3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honest to god don't get why and how people would defend the unrealistic, awkward and stuff animation Netherrealm throws out of its ***.
Well for one, nostalgia.
You can't really take that away from someone when they know and love these characters for years upon years.

And for two, game mechanics.
The game itself is solid, enough that it is able to amass a dedicated following for every installment.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My location doesn't even show up on the map.

I'm much too important for that.

(I'm not saying you forgot me, it would have been physically impossible for you to highlight my location).

Yes.
Are you in a plane?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
D

Deleted member

It's not about realism.

It's about showing a purpose, being clear and showing personality.

MKX doesn't do that very well.
It's about all of that. It's like SugarPunch says in his video: it's not about being realistic but about selling the animation as possible.
MKX doesn't sell its animation at all.
Well for one, nostalgia.
You can't really take that away from someone when they know and love these characters for years upon years.

And for two, game mechanics.
The game itself is solid, enough that it is able to amass a dedicated following for every installment.
There are so much fighting games with better mechanics and animation than MK I honestly don't get what makes it so special.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
You may have problems with those games but they won't be badly animated in a hundred years. I challenge you to try to find an example of bad animation from those games that's worse than anything from MKX's trainwreck
Shishœ, I like you a lot, but I'm getting the feeling you've never played MvCI. It's terrible graphics were at the top of the list of things people hated about the game.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here because I really can't see any validity to the idea that MvCI-- a game released in 2017 that failed to look better than its previous games released in 2011-- is better animated than this game.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Pittoo can still say he’s a literal clone when it comes to his character

Damn that **** sucks so damn much. This is like a very bad anime approach to having their own Smash Brawl or something

Daisy = Thicc and Juicy like a Steak

Daisy makes us horny, so...that’s completely acceptable

It ain’t better than Smash tho

That and she got a great *** booty. Daisy is always eating her Booty-O’s
I may be old.

But I definitely stan for this post.

I love my Booty-O's too. #thicc

D

Deleted member

Shishœ, I like you a lot, but I'm getting the feeling you've never played MvCI. It's terrible graphics were at the top of the list of things people hated about the game.

We're going to have to agree to disagree here because I really can't see any validity to the idea that MvCI-- a game released in 2017 that failed to look better than its previous games released in 2011-- is better animated than this game.

Aaaaand you don't even have an idea of what animation means.
Also lol at the example used being a face animation for a cutscene.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Well, yeah, the graphics look absolutely awful.
Completely and utterly, and no one will argue you on that point.

Now, what people are actually talking about is animation, more specifically, the battle animation, which is a whole nother beast from model quality and facial animations. You can have the prettiest models on the block, but if you can't animate it well, it'd more likely look like an animatronic from Chuck. E. Cheese.

LetterO

Smash Lord
I wish I could get some of my characters out of the 2 Mil GSP range but the game decides it's fun to either match me with rulesets that are nothing like mine, or make the game so laggy that I get screwed over, and then my GSP goes lower and lower on a character who realistically should be much higher.

Good Guy Giygas

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-6635-8915-7294
Aaaaand you don't even have an idea of what animation means.
Also lol at the example used being a face animation for a cutscene.
At first I thought you were just meme-ing but I guess you're actually serious. There's no way in hell MvCI has better animation than MK. Injustice 2 had the most fluid and realistic animation I've ever seen in a fighting game. And yes, I'm talking about animation, not graphics.

D

Deleted member

Bad animation being a selling point is a terrible selling point. Stylish Suck doesn't work with fighting games.

If you honestly think MKX and Injustice 2 have better animation than SFV, KoFXIV and MvCI you need to learn basic animation.
Yeah, I bet you learned all about animation just from one channel's point of view. Like seriously, it really doesn't help that pretty much everyone I've seen make the "MK has bad animation"(I mean it does in places) argument always link the same exact guy as a source.

You may have problems with those games but they won't be badly animated in a hundred years. I challenge you to try to find an example of bad animation from those games that's worse than anything from MKX's trainwreck
I haven't played SFV in a long while, but certain characters like Falke I remember having weird animations. But again, that's more so cherry picking, there's plenty of animations in the game that looks fine. With KoF XIV, MvCI, and SFV I think the animation is mostly passable from what I recall playing. But with those games it's more so the artstyle, graphics, and physics that look really freaking weird. I'd definitely say that I enjoy looking at MKX more than any of those games.

Same goes for MKX. Not like you'd know that for MKX since you seem to only selectively watch the bad stuff. I think posing(again, that's mostly what the guy is pointing out in the video) is more so the problem some people have rather than stiff animation. Whenever I play the game the animation seems pretty fluid. And as a Reptile main I love Reptile's animation, way more inspired than his MK9 stuff.

Again, with the method NRS uses to try to make animations look realistic, it doesn't really look right with 3D models the same way it would with real people. Their mokap games and other stuff that uses mokap have a similar problem. I don't think it's even as big of an issue as he makes it out to be either. There's some characters that have some looking weird moves as he points out such as Erron Black. But as a Reptile main, I find all of Reptile's animations to be pretty great.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I wish I could get some of my characters out of the 2 Mil GSP range but the game decides it's fun to either match me with rulesets that are nothing like mine, or make the game so laggy that I get screwed over, and then my GSP goes lower and lower on a character who realistically should be much higher.
But if you can't adapt to alternative rulesets with your main, surely you don't belong in the upper echelons? Know what I mean?

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Y'all have bad online experiences.

Try bad spirit experiences...

It took me a solid half hour to defeat the Guile spirit as Ken.

Yet Omega Ridley takes milliseconds.

LetterO

Smash Lord
But if you can't adapt to alternative rulesets with your main, surely you don't belong in the upper echelons? Know what I mean?
The only way to adapt is hoping Rathalos comes out of the assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

I saw a Jump Force video, and geez. Not only do the cutscenes look ugly, but everyone in general. I hate the overly realistic look, and the chunks that come out when someone hits the ground look very lazy and dumb. It is also very flashy and off-putting.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I thought you were more of a Peach guy?
peach??? do you mean BLEACH??? get her out of here.

In this
Christian household
we stan for TRENDBREAKERS and not TRENDSETTERS. Damsel in distress? what about damsel in NO DRESS

Bow down to our Goddess Daisy in her Sports Outfit

D

Deleted member

At first I thought you were just meme-ing but I guess you're actually serious. There's no way in hell MvCI has better animation than MK. Injustice 2 had the most fluid and realistic animation I've ever seen in a fighting game. And yes, I'm talking about animation, not graphics.
43775b31-d49a-4f2c-8a07-e1b13983aca7.jpg

Yeah, I bet you learned all about animation just from one channel's point of view. Like seriously, it really doesn't help that pretty much everyone I've seen make the "MK has bad animation"(I mean it does in places) argument always link the same exact guy as a source.

I haven't played SFV in a long while, but certain characters like Falke I remember having weird animations. But again, that's more so cherry picking, there's plenty of animations in the game that looks fine. With KoF XIV, MvCI, and SFV I think the animation is mostly passable from what I recall playing. But with those games it's more so the artstyle, graphics, and physics that look really freaking weird. I'd definitely say that I enjoy looking at MKX more than any of those games.

Same goes for MKX. Not like you'd know that for MKX since you seem to only selectively watch the bad stuff. I think posing(again, that's mostly what the guy is pointing out in the video) is more so the problem some people have rather than stiff animation. Whenever I play the game the animation seems pretty fluid. And as a Reptile main I love Reptile's animation, way more inspired than his MK9 stuff.

Again, with the method NRS uses to try to make animations look realistic, it doesn't really look right with 3D models the same way it would with real people. Their mokap games and other stuff that uses mokap have a similar problem. I don't think it's even as big of an issue as he makes it out to be either. There's some characters that have some looking weird moves as he points out such as Erron Black. But as a Reptile main, I find all of Reptile's animations to be pretty great.
I've had problems with MKX far before watching that video. My brother bought it for the PS4 and whenever we played it I'd just feel bored like something was missing. I just couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt that way until I watched said video.
Like, I know you like MK but there's no need to try to justify its bad animation.
It's bad, that's the end of it. If you can enjoy the game despite that, then good, but I'm not gonna let people act as if KoF or any Capcom fighting game has worse animation than MK.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'd argue it does.
In fact, I'd argue that the fluidity and realism hurts the feeling of satisfaction a lot of the time.

Like, video games inherently are NOT real, and in fact, emulating real life combat isn't very satisfying. "realistic" combat in real life would play like Rockstar games, with two grown men throwing fists at each other as the sound of flesh hits flesh. The closer you get to that point, the less entertaining it is to watch.

In fighting games and anime and cartoons, they overexaggerate attacks so that one, you can tell the move hit, and two, to make it look good and sell the hit. MvCI, while looking like stale bread left out in the sun, animates like the most alive loaf out there. While the models are trash-fires outsourced from Chinese sweatshops, Capcom's animators do know what they're doing in selling attacks, as they've been animating things for the better part of 3 decades.

Or I dunno, watch Tekken and look at Paul punch a guy with the force of an exploding sun.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly I think MKX's animation is fine. Cassie Cage's MK11 face on the other hand... that is ugly.

Thankfully it should be fixed by release.
Remember her face in MKX prerelease? Yeah... Same goes for certain Injustice 2 characters prelease. Injustice 2 prelease Aquaman was just no.
That doesn't even look like its from the same game at all.

D

Deleted member

Listen, nobody’s going to deny MK has some pretty stiff animations, but it does get a bit annoying when it feels like people are just basing their argument upon one guy’s, admittedly fairly well-argued, video. Personally, I’ve always found that Netherreallm animations look best when strung together, but on their own kinda falter.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Remember her face in MKX prerelease? Yeah... Same goes for certain Injustice 2 characters prelease. Injustice 2 prelease Aquaman was just no.
That doesn't even look like its from the same game at all.

Holy ****. I don't remember Prerelease Aquaman.

Well, let's just say that they'll probably have no problem fixing Cassie. If they do even half as good a job as they did fixing Arthur, Cassie'll be fine.

D

Deleted member

Injustice 2 had the most fluid and realistic animation I've ever seen in a fighting game. And yes, I'm talking about animation, not graphics.
So you're saying that Injustice 2 has better animation than all fighting games you have seen? You are basically saying Injustice 2 has better animation than Smash Ultimate?

D

Deleted member

Just wait until you're about to turn thirty, and your family takes you to dinner at a sandwich shop five days before your birthday because it's more convenient for everyone's schedule and you get two cards and a book then on your actual birthday go to work a 10hr day and come home to make yourself a steak and watch an episode of MST3K before going to bed because you've got work in the morning.
You are living the perfect lie life.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
"I am going to use a gif of *insert character* doing a Fortnite emote, so I can get likes!"
well I don’t care for the likes, so...no to your post

1. Injustice 2 looks absolutely stunning as usual (Harley is perfection)
2. What the **** MvCI? I don’t remember this game looking that horrible (though I do remember everyone being buffed up for no reason)...like a Bruce Timm DC show/movie
I'm guessing Ultimate changed your mind somehow?
No...Odyssey did. Rosalina was already at the top, Pauline sang end way to my heart, and Daisy...well I realize how loyal she is to Luigi (that and she’s a bad*** with a fat***...but those two things are besides the point)
I may be old.

But I definitely stan for this post.

I love my Booty-O's too. #thicc
Booty-O’s forever

D

Deleted member

I've had problems with MKX far before watching that video. My brother bought it for the PS4 and whenever we played it I'd just feel bored like something was missing. I just couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt that way until I watched said video.
Like, I know you like MK but there's no need to try to justify its bad animation.
It's bad, that's the end of it. If you can enjoy the game despite that, then good, but I'm not gonna let people act as if KoF or any Capcom fighting game has worse animation than MK.
KoF definitely has worse animation in places. Don't act like I'm not a KoF fan silly billy.

Also, again, at least look at MK11 which is night and day compared to MKX just like MKX is night and day compared to MK9. And how MK9 looks night day compared to the 3D era. If you think MKX has some weird ****....

I'd argue it does.
In fact, I'd argue that the fluidity and realism hurts the feeling of satisfaction a lot of the time.

Like, video games inherently are NOT real, and in fact, emulating real life combat isn't very satisfying. "realistic" combat in real life would play like Rockstar games, with two grown men throwing fists at each other as the sound of flesh hits flesh. The closer you get to that point, the less entertaining it is to watch.

In fighting games and anime and cartoons, they overexaggerate attacks so that one, you can tell the move hit, and two, to make it look good and sell the hit. MvCI, while looking like stale bread left out in the sun, animates like the most alive loaf out there. While the models are trash-fires outsourced from Chinese sweatshops, Capcom's animators do know what they're doing in selling attacks, as they've been animating things for the better part of 3 decades.

Or I dunno, watch Tekken and look at Paul punch a guy with the force of an exploding sun.
Pretty much this. That's one of the reasons why Mokap is extremely hard to not make look uncanny. Because you're using realistic movements on stylized characters. MKX uses a lot of realistic type movement like a game such as GTA would use when it comes to combat which does look weird in a flashy setting.

In fact, I actually do think that one of the reasons why MK11 already looks more natural than MKX is the more photorealistic graphics and slower paced combat compared to how crazy fast MKX is.

Listen, nobody’s going to deny MK has some pretty stiff animations, but it does get a bit annoying when it feels like people are just basing their argument upon one guy’s, admittedly fairly well-argued, video. Personally, I’ve always found that Netherreallm animations look best when strung together, but on their own kinda falter.
Pretty much this. Especially when it comes to MKX since when playing on a competent level, since it's so rushdown based you'll be stringing moves together so fast that you won't even notice certain weird animation like Erron Black's. Which I wouldn't say are stiff, they're just posed really weird.

Reptile had a similar problem with certain animations in MK9. Like they were fluid, but moves like his forceball and acid spit looked really weird. But those moves were changed and look way more natural in MKX.

D

Deleted member

Honestly I don't understand why people think Chrom is OP, like the sentiment went a bit down after the Chromicide nerf but it's still there among casuals

Like yeah, he's OP if he's being played by a godlike frame-perfect TAS who never goes offstage. Because if your character has any kind of decent edgeguarding abilities it's literally a free stock when he gets knocked offstage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom